Suit

myauq

i'm wondering what people's attitudes are towards wearing suits for interviews, particularly in south east asian countries. i've never been a big fan, but i can see that in places like thailand people are easily impressed by the threads.

however, i'll be going to malaysia next week for an interview at an international university. the department has a modern outlook and are specifically looking for someone with an open-minded attitude towards research and teaching, which is why they've chosen me for an interview :) malaysia is a bit different from thailand, and you think the 30 degree heat and 90 humidity should also help me make up my mind?

perhaps Im somewhat old-fashioned, but Id still wear a suit

(yes I know its crazy hot in Asia!) but..imagine:

you show up in shirt and tie, but on your way there you start to sweat, and by the time you get to the interview, the armpit of your shirt is wet!

you cant hide that

having a suit, you can remove it while in taxi to the place, and just put in on as you walk in to the interview room.

surely there are summer suits one can use for these occasions? light coloured brownish / beige shade perhaps?

the batik shirt is lovely, but again I wouldnt wear it to a job interview. I would wear it to a social function once I already have the job :)

OK seriously, ....a smart casual...is the way to go

but hmm this is a university setting......I would say, a trouser and a shirt - pressed. Short sleeves is ok in this case

no matter what you decide - jacket or no jacket

i would STRONGLY recommend AGAINST the short sleeve shirt!

long sleeves, particular with cuff links are ok I suppose

wear your best shoes :) make sure they are clean and shined! and make sure you wear good socks - no faded or different coloured ones, and try to choose a tone that blends in with your pants!

(amazing how many men make the mistake of wearing daggy socks thinking people will not see or pay attention. truth is - people do!)

It all depends on the suit, do you have a pic?

If it's a poor fitting, boxy 'sack' suit (American style) then I'd say no, but if it's a trim, slim-cut traditional English style then I'd say yes. In the wrong fitting suit, I feel really akward and give off a more tense vibe. But you're a farang, they won't care what you wear. There's too many cultures mishmashing around in SE Asia for one dress code to prevail... it's not like Japan.

As an Aussie who likes casual, I wore "smart casual" to a Rotary meeting in KL. I was seriously under dressed.

OK these were people who had MONEY, but they almost all turned up in business attire. No need to go to the personally monogrammed cuffs on the shirt and Italian suit, but a long sleeved shirt and single colour tie is the absolute minimum, I would go the suit remember Malaysia still has a big British influence in the decision making class. It is Asia and the look counts. if it goes to a second interview and you feel you were over dressed for the first, then consider less formal attire.

Remember no second chances to first impressions. (The girl who turned up for a job interview at my shop this week wearing jeans and chewing gum did not get the job no matter how good she may have been.)

at least in my opinion - cuff links and long sleeves has nothing to do with conservative

it is in fact more trendy in the sense of a formal look

(trendy comes in many styles - if you were going hiking Id have different idea on trendy. but business trendy is a slim fit suit, shirts with cuff links. without are ok too, but as someone else said it should be something that fits you properly.

again - from experience, people still tend to dress formal in the business (AND university setting). the colours of the suit will also make a difference. even IF the suit were to be considered overdressed, its impact would be less if you had a lighter colour suit on for summer weather (a dark blue, navy blue or black is certainly not what Id recommend)

also see what chang paarp said!

the only suit i've got right now is a dark grey suit, with stripes, which fits ok. after i tried it on this morning, i realise it does look too bad. as i have to make a presentation before the interview, i may take the jacket off then (depending on how strong the a/c is too) :) . i'm still a bit undecided, but now swaying towards wearing the threads.

Yeah, wear the suit for sure. Nobody is going to think less of you in an interview if you are a bit over-dressed, but they would think less of you if you are UNDER-dressed. I love wearing suits and have expanded my collection considerably since moving to Thailand several years ago. Sure it can get hot here, but dam_n it I look good!

:)

I've worked with local professional epole and in university scenarios many times in KL:

- Suit (carry the coat if it's simply too hot and put it on at the last timute.

- Long sleeve white shirt, newer the better, sleeves always rolled down

- Single color necktie

- Business style shoes, newer the better, well polished

- Carry a more professional brief case or more professional looking folder. Don't carry a back pack.

- Listen well to the questions, clarify to be sure you understand the question, try to speak in a professional manner

- Don't react to questions / comments with : Yeah, OK, sure mate, and similar

- Acknowledge any name cards given to you with a deliberate thank you in a slow action. Take the card with both hands. Deliberately / immediately take the time to read all the details on the card. Wait a few minutes and put the card in your top pocket, not in your trouser pocket and not in your bag.

- When your sitting down to talk, lay out the name cards in front of you where you can easily read them and use the cards to remind you of names. Address people by their names as much as possible.

Malaysians are into presentation.

Its well proven that first impression counts, and it's almost impossible to change first impression.

Yep as Scorecard said. Wear the suit, pressed long sleeved shirt - use cold-powder and plenty of deodorant, eat a mint before you go in. Have your haircut. In Asia first impressions are ten times the value of the west. I have known people (Teachers actually) who have been hired based on their look being told at the interview, "its because you look the part". Don't forget those polished shoes!

I would dress in a way that represents my character. Anything else would be an obvious lie.

I've interviewed job applicants who have worn suits, only to discover that their attitude did not suit a suit. If, on the other hand, had they worn "smart casual", they would have been more believeable (their dress would've suited their character).

Conversely, someone well spoken & well educated would look a bit strange wearing a polo neck shirt to an interview, unless the interview was forecast to be more relaxed.

It's more important to be "you" at an interview than to be a fabrication that won't stick if you get the job. Also, your performance at the interview will depend upon your "comfort"...don't wear uncomfortable clothes.

Let's face it, do you wish to work for someone who puts "dress sense" before "sense"?

Edited by elkangorito