Jomtien Hawkers Driving Me Nuts

SoiGirlHunter

OK on the beach or on the soi i expect the hawkers to try to push their crap merchandise on me

BUT Every night i go out to a nice restaurant on Beach Rd (Jomtien) with my girl du juere as i found a couple with decent thai food.

So everytime I am eating inside the restaurant - hawkers (every 5 mins or so) will walk in the restaurant and force their crap goods in my

face - while I eating!!! THEN when i say "no thanks" they continue to stand there still trying to sell their junk to me!!!! While i am shoveling food down!

I complain to the waitresses and they do nothing! Next one comes in and she is standing right there and does nothing as i

look over to her with a <deleted> expression!!!

Does the restaurant get a cut? Or are they just afraid of the mafia element?

(sorry i had to vent)

Edited by SoiGirlHunter

OK on the beach or on the soi i expect the hawkers to try to push their crap merchandise on me

BUT Every night i go out to a nice restaurant on Beach Rd (Jomtien) with my girl du juere as i found a couple with decent thai food.

So everytime I am eating inside the restaurant - hawkers (every 5 mins or so) will walk in the restaurant and force their crap goods in my

face - while I eating!!! THEN when i say "no thanks" they continue to stand there still trying to sell their junk to me!!!! While i am shoveling food down!

I complain to the waitresses and they do nothing! Next one comes in and she is standing right there and does nothing as i

look over to her with a <deleted> expression!!!

Does the restaurant get a cut? Or are they just afraid of the mafia element?

(sorry i had to vent)

i would hardly put "street hawkers" and "mafia" in the same sentance, sounds abit dramatic, don't you think :)

It is considered politically incorrect here to take any action to deny another Thai the opportunity of extracting money from foreigners. I doubt there is any cut. I just ignore them and I am not above being a bit rude, they are pests.

More interestingly, where are these good Thai food places on Jomtien beach road?

'Get someone to write in Thai you a sign on a white card "Mai ow Kap" '

Any chance of someone on ThaiVisa, who has access to a Thai type-font, spelling "Mai ow Kap" out in Thai and posting it here so it could be printed in bold type?

ไม่ เอา ครับ

Any chance of someone on ThaiVisa, who has access to a Thai type-font, spelling "Mai ow Kap" out in Thai and posting it here so it could be printed in bold type?

ไม่เอาครับ ขอบคุณครับ

In bigger font, and added "thank you" after, just to make it polite! :)

I'm a regular visitor of a Dutch restaurant near Dongtan Beach.

Streetvendors are also regular visitors of the same restaurant.

At some point, every minute some crap-seller was at my table, offering ..... well, crap.

I talked to the owner of the restaurant and he said: "I could ask them to stay away, and they will, but some customers like the lively business at their table and some don't. Just ignore them."

I think you will find that the vendors are just as bad at Thai places as one that foreigners frequent, so to say they target just farangs is false. Best thing to do is ignore them completely, at most a slight wave of the hand and mumbled no, otherwise don’t even acknowledge they are there.

They don’t bother me, as I try very hard to not let other people dictate my emotional state.

TH

I think you will find that the vendors are just as bad at Thai places as one that foreigners frequent, so to say they target just farangs is false. Best thing to do is ignore them completely, at most a slight wave of the hand and mumbled no, otherwise don’t even acknowledge they are there.

They don’t bother me, as I try very hard to not let other people dictate my emotional state.

TH

I don't agree with you at all.

For the tourist crap, they target foreigners.

For Thai interest stuff such as som tum, they target Thais.

The other day I watched in amazement as Thai diners waiting for their food at a legit restaurant (not a food court, on Jomtien beach road) ordered som tum and fried seafood items from outside hawkers. The amazing thing is this legit restaurant offered similar items. I have to admit I have admiration for the tolerance implied by this, so it is not all bad.

Edited by Jingthing

Soi Get your self an Ipod . First 2+years I lived in Pattaya I plug in the tunes & no matter what anyone tries to say you just shrug you shoulders . If you can still hear the din of the Qwais turn it up & rock on..........keep the mp3 player in an inaccessible spot so the pickpockets can't do a bag & dash! It really works great.

TH

Which is what being yourself as a rude ass prick?

Hi thanks for all the advice! appreciate

Jingting, the restaurants i like are on both sides of soi 8 at beach rd, not great but doable.

The best food i found is the restaurant on the last inside corner (from pattaya)before the beach/beach road, great food but the manager blares this crap western music, usually something whiny like mariah carey etc as he sits there in the front with a bottle of JW Red acting he is a bigshot..

I asked the staff to lower the volume a bit but they say they cant because "Boss like" but they agreed the music s#cks bad and have more customers when he doesnt show up!!!

TIT

There's a Thai restaurant on Thappraya, just south of Thepprasit ( maybe 100 meters ) on the left, next to an Internet Cafe. Can't recall the name, but they have a banner that says something like "Best Thai food in Jomtien"

Run by a nice Thai lady and her young son. Can't say it's the absolute "best", but was good the last time I was there. My basic test dish for any new restaurant is Cashew-Nut-Chicken.

Hi thanks for all the advice! appreciate

TIT

Before sitting down at your table and ordering food, have a polite chat with the manager and explain that you will deduct 20 baht from the bill every time a hawker selling goods approaches you at your table.

This is a win-win situation, if you are not bothered you have a result, if not the meal bill will be much reduced.

:)

There's a Thai restaurant on Thappraya, just south of Thepprasit ( maybe 100 meters ) on the left, next to an Internet Cafe. Can't recall the name, but they have a banner that says something like "Best Thai food in Jomtien"

Run by a nice Thai lady and her young son. Can't say it's the absolute "best", but was good the last time I was there. My basic test dish for any new restaurant is Cashew-Nut-Chicken.

You are joking I assume :)

Wow, cashew nut chicken - you have really gone naitive. Like a bit of spice :) What next - fried rice!!!!!!!!

Edited by rabcbroon

ไม่เอาครับ ขอบคุณครับ

In bigger font, and added "thank you" after, just to make it polite! :)

What is all this crap about Khrap and politeness

They are a bloody nuisance

Considered as low as crap by the Thais

What you gonna do next? - make yourself look a complete <deleted> and wai them?

Better to say

Mai Ow - Pai leey

I don't want want - piss off - and forget the khrap bit

"Wow, cashew nut chicken - you have really gone naitive. Like a bit of spice :) What next - fried rice!!!!!!!"

I think a couple of you gourmet clowns missed the point.

C-N-C is a basic simple dish that any restaurant should be able to prepare well. That's not always the case. When I get a bad one, unless I get positive feedback from someone who had a better experience, I write that joint off the list .

That recently happened in a new very up-scale eatery which I won't mention.

Sorry that my simple taste and selection of a "test' dish isn't up to your sophisticated Caviar, Foie gras, and Champagne standards . . .

I don't think cashew nut chicken is really popular with Thai people. I think a better basic test would be tom yum or pad krapow. Its amazing how many places can't even pull off a half decent pad krapow. I think Pattaya might have some of the worst Thai restaurants in Thailand due to the tourist trap trade. I know what you mean about test dishes though, I always check out new places with the pad krapow but not always the first visit. BTW, that "Best in Jomtien" joint, be wary of some crafty pricing tricks they play there, happened to me twice and then I stopped going, I am like that.

Edited by Jingthing

I don't think cashew nut chicken is really popular with Thai people. I think a better basic test would be tom yum or pad krapow. Its amazing how many places can't even pull off a half decent pad krapow. I think Pattaya might have some of the worst Thai restaurants in Thailand due to the tourist trap trade. I know what you mean about test dishes though, I always check out new places with the pad krapow but not always the first visit. BTW, that "Best in Jomtien" joint, be wary of some crafty pricing tricks they play there, happened to me twice and then I stopped going, I am like that.

I am a padkrapow con-u-sir

Found the best in Pattaya

A new Thai restaurant opposite Seafood Emporium next to Jomtien Market

Easy to spot - spanking brand new open place on the corner of the front car park of the market

Padkrapow came with baby corn cooked in

I asked for spicy - and got it

side dish of soup

Even brought me a plate of rambutans for free as an extra nibble

Pad Krapow fried egg - soup- and a coke

50 Baht - aroi duay

Not tried any other items on the menu

"Wow, cashew nut chicken - you have really gone naitive. Like a bit of spice :) What next - fried rice!!!!!!!"

I think a couple of you gourmet clowns missed the point.

C-N-C is a basic simple dish that any restaurant should be able to prepare well. That's not always the case. When I get a bad one, unless I get positive feedback from someone who had a better experience, I write that joint off the list .

That recently happened in a new very up-scale eatery which I won't mention.

Sorry that my simple taste and selection of a "test' dish isn't up to your sophisticated Caviar, Foie gras, and Champagne standards . . .

Well as you were referring to a test dish for Thai restaurants, then surely a Thai dish would be better no? How do you judge Indian restaurants, on their ability to make spaghetti bolognaise?

Agree with JT, Pad Kra Paow is a good basic test of Thai cooking, and when done well can be out of this world. My g/f cooks an awesome one with chicken livers but I have yet to find this in a restaurant.

I think the best test test dish is what you enjoy eating. If the poster doesn't like the same classic Thai dishes like Tom Yum or Krapow that you and most Thais enjoy, he'd be a bit daft to order them as "tester" dishes. He likes Cashew Nut Chicken, so that what he should order as a tester dish.

I've seen a lot of people trying to push their opinions on many different forums, but I don't think I've ever seen anybody tell someone else what type of food they should enjoy. (kidding - I understand your intentions, and i hope you see my point.) :)

BTW, just to keep on topic, I'm a bit confused as to why they allow street hawkers into restaurants, too. One example pointed out that the hawkers were directly competing with the restaurant, and the poster assumed it was a case of extreme tolerance. I don't know if that's true. From what I've experienced in dealing with Thai business people, it could just be a lack of any business acumen - heck, most Thai business people don't even understand the first rule of supply and demand.

Edited by Beacher

"How do you judge Indian restaurants, on their ability to make spaghetti bolognaise?"

No, if it's Indian, as a "test" dish, I would probably go for the lamb vindalho or a spicy roghan josh lamb flavored with saffron, cardamoms and nutmeg, or maybe a crab massala of sea crabs gently simmered with an infusion of tender pieces of lamb minced with herbs, peas, garlic onions and chillies.

Fortunately, when us low-life proletariat slobs go searching for new venues and test dishes, we hope to do it in places where it's unlikely that we'll encounter the comments of arrogant elitist snobs criticizing our choices . . . :)