What Are The Benefits Of A Non-immigrant Visum ?

NHJ, the OP did not ask if he can get an “ED visa and a work permit”. He says he already has it.

spaceshipcrew, are you asking about the usefulness of both your visa and your work permit? The work permit obviously allows you to work in the job and the company for which the permit was issued. If you want to open a bank account you have to run around less to get it, and you can also get a current account if that’s what you want. It makes it easier to get a motor vehicle registered in your name. Sometimes and in some places it may get you into parks at the lower Thai entrance fee.

The non-immigrant visa you have allows you to apply for back-to back annual extensions of stay if you meet other qualifying requirements. See here about extensions of stay: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/post-a70477-...ember-2008.html. You say you do not need extensions because you like to do “visaruns” to Laos. Therefore, you are free to continue to get back-to-back non-immigrant visas based on your work permit, with the heap of paperwork your employer has to give you every time for this, if he is willing to go to this trouble. For future visas the Thai consulate may not give you a non-ED visa again but a non-B visa but for practical purposes this makes no difference to you. You mentioned Laos and you will have to see whether they give you a multiple-entry visa or only a single-entry visa at a time.

--

Maestro

you can't get a ED visa and a work permit.

come here and I´ll show you

this is a very big world, can't know everyting :)

I got it because I work few hours for a university, but depends on the benefits if I go on with it after the first year, I'm not a voluntary work-addict.

Edited by spaceshipcrew

What other benefits, easy Thai driverlicense (to not be scammed anymore by those racists when paying entrance fees) ?

Having a Thai driving licence is no guarentee of avoiding double pricing I'm afraid :)

And neither will having a work permit and visa! I'm a teacher, and I often (politely) ask for the "ajarn" price. I show them my ID card that indicates (in English & and in Thai) that I live and work in Thailand, and sometimes also my passport that contains the other documents. This works maybe 1 or 2 times out of every 10. The "Thai" price is usually just that...for Thais, not for all residents of Thailand. Right or wrong, is it really that much of a hardship on you to pay 100 baht instead of 40? And really, how often are you in situations where you're paying entrance fees for parks, etc.?

hmmm... ED visa and work permit together...

is it also possible to have a 1 year Non-Immigrant "O" Visa for visiting friends and then obtain a work permit? If I wanted to officially do some part-time teaching, for example. Or if I worked for a Thai-owned shop... ??