3 Flat Tyres In 6 Weeks On The Bike.

G54

• 10 months later...

I'm resurrecting this post as I'm having the same problem with my Honda Click Tune Up. 3 flats in a fortnight, always the rear one.

Today the repairman said 'tyre not good'.

It's only done 8,000 kms and looks ok to me tread wise but I'm willing to put on a new one if it will solve the problem.

Has any member gone away from the factory fitted size and fitted a chunkier style with more weight bearing capacity on their Click?

Ok, so I'm fat. I'm about 110k, she's about 45k, add a load of shopping and we're probably on the limit for the standard issue spoked rim tyre and I know I could have gone Alloy for a couple of thousand extra but the missus bought it without telling me (Suprise dear) and she went with the cheaper option.

Any suggestions as to tyre sizes and styles would be a great help.

Ok, so I'm fat. I'm about 110k, she's about 45k, add a load of shopping and we're probably on the limit for the standard issue spoked rim tyre and I know I could have gone Alloy for a couple of thousand extra but the missus bought it without telling me (Suprise dear) and she went with the cheaper option.

Any suggestions as to tyre sizes and styles would be a great help.

Maybe you can put a bigger tyre on but the problem is I guess the spoke wheels with that weight on the back wheel, no joke intended.

The spokes push up from there seating position until it causing a puncture.

Mags would be better in your situation.

Edited by Kwasaki

It's under inflation of the tube, the tube 'creeps' round the rim tearing the valve out. We used to have this all the time with my wife's, Nouvo until I started putting 45psi in it and checking every week.

I used to own 5 mountain bike shops in Singapore and this was always a common problem with a lot of riders until they learnt the hard way to over inflate the tires.

without reading further, this is the problem, also the fact that it is the driven wheel should be a big big clue

I used to drive 3,000 km per month in Bangkok on an old Honda Dream in the 90's. I used to have one flat tire every 6 weeks in average during a 2 year period...

Here's my hard earned experience;

Worned out matters: It really matters, pretty worned out tire and 2 weeks between flats were not unusual. New tire and it went up to over 2 months. More weight = flat tires more often, absolutely. The guy saying "tyre no good" wasn't trying to cheat you, he was trying to advice you. It will help *a bit* to put in a "cut up" inner tube in to try to protect the tube but it is a cheap charlie trick that I don't advice. As all work arounds, it only work so-and-so

Brand matters: I wouldn't buy the sporty type of tire, they're too soft. I can't remember the brand after 15 years but I do confirm that the non-sporty type was better on the "oh no, not a flat tire again" thingie

Inflation matters: Overinflate is a good idea with your weight, I recommend 40 psi or more, you have to feel yourself, it should be hard

Width matters: To be honest, with that weight, you shouldn't be using the narrow standard Honda Dream witdth anyway. Can't remember the Honda Dream width but the Honda Click can't be that much wider. I would recommend to try a wider tire, absolutely. I bought a Honda NSR 150 after the Honda Dream and the change in tire size made absolute wonders

New tire, not sporty brand, do they have something called Camel Touring with a non-attractive thread? That one. Increase width, inflate to no less than 40 psi. Do Not buy Michelin - now we are getting there

Good luck

Edited by MikeyIdea

It's only done 8,000 kms and looks ok to me tread wise but I'm willing to put on a new one if it will solve the problem.

Has any member gone away from the factory fitted size and fitted a chunkier style with more weight bearing capacity on their Click?

Forgot

Chunkier - I have not gone up on a Click but I have done it on other bikes and it helps nicely

Tread looks OK - Flat tires started to come more often before tire was worned out tread wise

if it will solve the problem - new wider tire of a non sporty brand and 40+? psi will clear the problem - yes, I believe it will

If you regulary drive around with 150 kilos, then try to get 110 wide or the inch equivalent - cannot divide with 2.52 to get it, you must look at the actual widths and compare.

Edited by MikeyIdea

• 1 year later...

Forgot

Chunkier - I have not gone up on a Click but I have done it on other bikes and it helps nicely

Tread looks OK - Flat tires started to come more often before tire was worned out tread wise

if it will solve the problem - new wider tire of a non sporty brand and 40+? psi will clear the problem - yes, I believe it will

If you regulary drive around with 150 kilos, then try to get 110 wide or the inch equivalent - cannot divide with 2.52 to get it, you must look at the actual widths and compare.

Dug out this old thread for a reason. My son's Hayate has had four or five flats in the past two months. Prior to that never a problem. The tyres are still in reasonable condition, not having yet done 7,000kms and still plenty of tread. The first flat was caused by a metal shard which was removed and rather than patching a new tube was used. Since that time another three flats, which involved tow more tube replacements and one patching. My son is 80 kgs and maybe once a week I am on the back of the bike so it is carrying 160kgs on those occasions. It has got to the stage that when riding the possibility of a flat is constantly on your mind which is ridiculous.

The Hayate has mag wheels so spokes aren't the issue. One mechanic said the tyre needed replacing but three others said it was still good for several thousand more kms. Apart from changing to tubeless, any suggestions as to what I should look for. My son is assiduous in checking the pressure. Today, he got home from Uni without a problem but after two hours parked outside the house the tyre had gone flat. A real pain in the derriere.

I found that after 9000km on my Yamaha scooter the rear tyre was worn out. The factory tyres really aren't very impressive on these scooters. I had 2 punctures in 2 weeks, had a close look at the tyre after the second and was shocked at how thin it was in places. Had always been inflated to 32psi every week, never found to be lower than 24psi. Front tyre has never had a flat and the tread was fine, no need to change.

Was offered IRC (350B), Dunlop (520B) or Michelin (630B). Contrary to the post above, I have previous experience of good Michelins on a Wave (no punctures in 12 months) and having compared them with the Dunlops, there wasn't really any choice.

Haven't checked through the whole post so sorry if this has been covered.

The Misses had a flat on her Fino, first one in months. Got it fixed with new tube but next morning it was flat again.

Turned out one of the spokes had got a bit loose or something and was pushing into the tube.

Worth a check if all else fails.

:D

Don't assume that alloy wheels will have tubeless tires. My wife's Suzuki has alloy wheels with tubes and it came new with tubes. She has many flat tires so obviously the spokes are not to blame because there are no spokes. The replacement tubes available here are crap.

My Yamaha Elegance does have alloy wheels with tubeless tires. I have not had a flat yet and they hold air pressure very well. I do check the pressure on a regular basis. After the last service, I noticed a sharp jar when I hit small potholes. The service shop apparently doesn't use a pressure gauge because both tires had 50 PSI. I use 30 PSI in the front and 32 PSI in the back.

My son's bike is a Suzuki (Hayate bing the model). Alloy wheels with inner tubes. Yesterday I spoke to a few office messengers and they all said that the problem was with the tyre, not the inner tube. They said once a tyre starts "biting" the inner tube it will be a never ending story (yang nok kat yang nai - ฒางนอกกัดฒางใน). They all said I should bite my tongue and replace the hard IRC tyre that came with the bike with a Dunlop or Michelin.