Doi Suthep

wolf5370

The double pricing of EVERYTHING in Thailand has never really bothered me. If I want something at the price it is being offered at then I buy it. If something costs more than I'm willing to spend then I don't buy it. That includes the dual pricing in national parks, the cost of entering temples or going to the zoo.

I've gone to Doi Suthep many times and I always hike up the stairs... and back down the same way. I take all my visitors there if they have time. There's much to see and do in Chiang Mai that doesn't cost money so the few times I have to pay double pricing I don't mind.

By contrast, here in Canada we have national parks that I've supported with my taxes. Many of those parks were formerly wilderness areas open to everyone. Now that they are under the parks branch they've added exorbitant parking fees to all the places of interest and prevent parking anywhere else.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Irrespective of the variable charges based on race/ color/ creed/ whatever for entry to the various attractions here in Thailand we all have a choice whether or not to enter.

Should the prices indicate dual pricing personally I choose not to enter, if we have guests I give them my reasons for not accepting dual pricing and let them decide whether they wish to enter, should they do so I have no problem and subsequently arrange a time to pick them up.

It's not about the money, you understand, it's the principle. How many times have we heard that?

Mainly from you when defending charging for a filtered glass of water that costs you 0.01 baht in you pub.

Embarassing you brought that up but you are right. He does not always think through what he writes and can be contradictory. But I enjoy his posts for their entertainment value. He never posts on any real issues, have you noticed that. But he keeps threads alive in an amusing way. Good for business

each to their own i say, would be a rather boring place if we just discussed topics without humour or banter. Hence my not so serious posts. :)

The double pricing of EVERYTHING in Thailand has never really bothered me. If I want something at the price it is being offered at then I buy it. If something costs more than I'm willing to spend then I don't buy it. That includes the dual pricing in national parks, the cost of entering temples or going to the zoo.

I've gone to Doi Suthep many times and I always hike up the stairs... and back down the same way. I take all my visitors there if they have time. There's much to see and do in Chiang Mai that doesn't cost money so the few times I have to pay double pricing I don't mind.

By contrast, here in Canada we have national parks that I've supported with my taxes. Many of those parks were formerly wilderness areas open to everyone. Now that they are under the parks branch they've added exorbitant parking fees to all the places of interest and prevent parking anywhere else.

So you accept over-pricing in Canada but dare not critivicse Thailand doing the same thing.

It's not about the money, you understand, it's the principle. How many times have we heard that? 

Mainly from you when defending charging for a filtered glass of water that costs you 0.01 baht in you pub.

You haven't got your finger on the inflation pulse have you? It's 0.02 baht now (2 satang in old money)! Scandalous.

Prices will have to go up, of course.

So, after you spend a half hour climbing and reached the platform of Scam Suthep you pay money while locals can go free ?

Or you just walk on, ingoring the annoying 'hey you, hey you' ?

I love it and find it all amusing. What do you think - is it sad, stupid, or just plain pathetic?

Beware of gettin 'maipenrayed' by living here too long ! :)

I'm not jealous of all those expats who live here too long and become like the Thai...

Racist insult and scam is basically wrong my friend.

I love it and find it all amusing. What do you think - is it sad, stupid, or just plain pathetic?

I'm not jealous of all those expats who live here too long and become like the Thai...

If being like a farang means getting your knickers in a twist every time you go out to enjoy yourself, then I'm with the Thais. A lot of Farangs here have a chip on their shoulder, and most of the rest have quite balanced personalities - they have a chip on both shoulders. :D

So long as your happy, that's all that counts. And that you've got good health, of course - that goes without saying. So, so long as your happy and you've got good health, that's all you need. You need good family and friends as well of course , but everybody knows that. Yes, that's all you need  - being happy , healthy and having good family and friends. Peace and security goes without saying, too, and a roof over your head. So, so long as your happy, healthy and secure with good family and friends AND you've got a roof over your head .. and your warm and dry, that's all you need. Plus 30 baht.

Did I mention a sense of humour?

Edited by KevinHunt

If being like a farang means getting your knickers in a twist every time you go out to enjoy yourself, then I'm with the Thais. A lot of Farangs here have a chip on their shoulder, and most of the rest have quite balanced personalities - they have a chip on both shoulders. :D

So long as your happy, that's all that counts. And that you've got good health, of course - that goes without saying. So, so long as your happy and you've got good health, that's all you need. You need good family and friends as well of course , but everybody knows that. Yes, that's all you need - being happy , healthy and having good family and friends. Peace and security goes without saying, too, and a roof over your head. So, so long as your happy, healthy and secure with good family and friends AND you've got a roof over your head .. and your warm and dry, that's all you need. Plus 30 baht.

me happy?

post-15912-1253105172_thumb.jpg

So long as your happy, that's all that counts. And that you've got good health, of course - that goes without saying. So, so long as your happy and you've got good health, that's all you need. You need good family and friends as well of course , but everybody knows that. Yes, that's all you need  - being happy , healthy and having good family and friends. Peace and security goes without saying, too, and a roof over your head. So, so long as your happy, healthy and secure with good family and friends AND you've got a roof over your head .. and your warm and dry, that's all you need. Plus 30 baht.

Would you mind just saying that again please; I didn't quite catch what it is we all need ?

Usually I walk up the stairs, but we had small kids, so did the lift. 20B per person - 50 for the Farrang! I told them I'm a local and got a 20 B ticket - but then the woman at the lift would not allow me on and I had to swap it out for the 50B one.

I am sure the last time I used the lift it was free (about 10 years ago I think) -

Yes that one crashed and killed a few folks for free btw.

When I go there, one pays the 50 baht (for the new lift) and walk back down, easy and problem. :)

30 baht looser that you are. :D

Enjoy your Karma :D

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

So long as your happy, that's all that counts. And that you've got good health, of course - that goes without saying. So, so long as your happy and you've got good health, that's all you need. You need good family and friends as well of course , but everybody knows that. Yes, that's all you need - being happy , healthy and having good family and friends. Peace and security goes without saying, too, and a roof over your head. So, so long as your happy, healthy and secure with good family and friends AND you've got a roof over your head .. and your warm and dry, that's all you need. Plus 30 baht.

No, you didn't Kevin. And you missed out (your previous post) about water price having to be increased

So, after you spend a half hour climbing and reached the platform of Scam Suthep you pay money while locals can go free ?

Or you just walk on, ingoring the annoying 'hey you, hey you' ?

I always pay at Doi Suthep because it's not that much. What is it, about a dollar? I believe it's about $10 Canadian to get into the zoo, but I'm happy to pay that also. In BC they want me to pay $10 just to park in a place I paid for with my taxes in the first place... and used to be free. But, there are sheep who are willing to pay so why should I complain. I know many places that are better where I don't have to pay.

Actually, I much prefer the little park by the creek on the way up to Doi Suthep. I like the trail and the natural surroundings. And, there are pools you can swim in.

Doi_Suthep_trail_11.jpg

Doi_Suthep_trail_16.jpg

Doi_Suthep_trail_3.jpg

previous posters are not miffed because there is a fee, or the fees have been raised, or there's a fee now where before there wasn't, or the fees in their home countries are lower.

they're peeved because there are two fees, one for thais, and one for furr'ners.

quoting the entrance fees at national parks in the us, or parking lots in canada does not make much sense....unless there are special rates for thais to park in bc.

I always pay at Doi Suthep because it's not that much. What is it, about a dollar? I believe it's about $10 Canadian to get into the zoo, but I'm happy to pay that also. In BC they want me to pay $10 just to park in a place I paid for with my taxes in the first place... and used to be free. But, there are sheep who are willing to pay so why should I complain. I know many places that are better where I don't have to pay.

Actually, I much prefer the little park by the creek on the way up to Doi Suthep. I like the trail and the natural surroundings. And, there are pools you can swim in.

If you weren't so bloody happy, I'm sure you'd see it differently.

Too busy enjoying yourself, that's your problem.  :)

are only thai people buddhist ? is the temple only for thai people and tourists are of other religions? maybe a donation box would be more appropriate? obviously people are offended by this and its no way to promote buddhism.

1 price for all black or white green or blue we are all human beings sharing this earth and no person should be judged different from another.

peace and love :)

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised when I went to CM last year and visited Doi Inthanon. Rolled up with my wife, daughter and 2 nieces and the officer on duty asked if I lived in Thailand and promptly let me in for the Thai price. Well chuffed.

Why MCA?

Because it's the first time they've ever preemptively asked me without me proffering my driver's license or whatever.

are only thai people buddhist ? is the temple only for thai people and tourists are of other religions? maybe a donation box would be more appropriate? obviously people are offended by this and its no way to promote buddhism.

1 price for all black or white green or blue we are all human beings sharing this earth and no person should be judged different from another.

peace and love :)

Good words.

And those who don't even shame the shit out of them when praying to win the lottery and for a new Toyota Fortuner should not call themselves Buddhist after all, they are not. 10 years ago I bought a dark blue truck with my own money but Oh HelI, the monk at the temple told my ex gf clearly that dark blue will bring bad luck, to avoid accidents it should be gold metallic. And she paid for this information so it was true. A serious argument followed and she locked herself up in the bahtroom for 3 hours, totally confused. The mental stability of a Thai Buddhist who every Sunday spends hours at the temple.

Sometimes if you look at the backside of a temple where you're not supposed to be, you can see strange things like monks sitting on their expensive cars smoking and a talking trough a mobile. <deleted>...

But the fundamental ethical behaviors for all practicing Buddhists ? Never heard of.

pukey.gif

(with all respect ofcourse for those lovely Thais who have more understanding)

Edited by spaceshipcrew

Here's my take on dual pricing, one of the most discussed and debated topics among farang. It's an indefensible practice, because there is no good explanation or justification made. It just comes down to skin color and a belief that white people have more money so they should pay more. Plus, it is easy to make farang pay by concealing what is going on. One can come up with all sorts of spurious defenses: Thais pay taxes; it's still cheaper than home; it's beneath me to quibble; etc, but none of these stand up under cross-examination.

However, I see no point in getting upset about it. It's just one unfair practice in a society founded on exploitation of the weak. The logic of our arguments against dual pricing-- that people should be charged the same price regardless of race, that rules should be made known and fairly applied to all, that it is wrong to exploit others for money-- is simply inaccessible to most (definitely not all) Thai people. They are, for the most part, victims of a feudal political system that never evolved, an absolutely lousy education system, and a culture that prizes material wealth regardless of how it is gotten.

So on any given day, at any given place, maybe I'll pay the 30B if I feel like it, maybe I won't. Either way, in the big picture I'm still undisturbed, because at least I know the difference between right and wrong. For the purveyors of dual pricing, all I can do is hope that they can work their way out of greed and ignorance.

[quote name='Puwa' date='2009-09-17 09:42:15' post

However, I see no point in getting upset about it. It's just one unfair practice in a society founded on exploitation of the weak. The logic of our arguments against dual pricing-- that people should be charged the same price regardless of race, that rules should be made known and fairly applied to all, that it is wrong to exploit others for money-- is simply inaccessible to most (definitely not all) Thai people. They are, for the most part, victims of a feudal political system that never evolved, an absolutely lousy education system, and a culture that prizes material wealth regardless of how it is gotten.

Very well said. The Chinese saw Tibetian Buddhist in a very similiar light.

And let's not kid ourselves. The Thai governement understands the effect pricing has on visitors. For the last few months they have been issuing FREE tourist visa's regionally. Once here after being encouraged to visit Thailand however they are slightly discouraging visits to their temples. I am more than happy to take their hint.

Irrespective of the variable charges based on race/ color/ creed/ whatever for entry to the various attractions here in Thailand we all have a choice whether or not to enter.

Should the prices indicate dual pricing personally I choose not to enter, if we have guests I give them my reasons for not accepting dual pricing and let them decide whether they wish to enter, should they do so I have no problem and subsequently arrange a time to pick them up.

Many years ago when I used to get upset over these minor irritations my family visted from UK.

We went to a place that had dual pricing and I chose not to enter "I have principles you know"

Despite pleas from my family "We'll pay", "You can explain things to us", "we want you with us" etc, I stood by my "it's not the money you know, it's the principle".

So I watched a disappointed family go in without me and I saw a delighted family come out, but their words were tinged with sadness, "we would have enjoyed it more if you had been with us' and "I wish we had some pictures from there with you in" and it made me realise what a stupid, bah humbug, miserable SOB I had been over a few lousy baht. Here was my family who had come to visit me at great expense, not interested in the slightest if the Thai's charge more for this or that group - they were on holiday and just wanted to be happy and for me to join in with them, but I waited outside because 'I have principles'. :)

When it comes to paying admission to anywhere ever since, I have not let my principles be the deciding factor again, whether with family, friends or alone....and I feel better for it :D

Here's my take on dual pricing, one of the most discussed and debated topics among farang. It's an indefensible practice, because there is no good explanation or justification made. It just comes down to skin color and a belief that white people have more money so they should pay more. Plus, it is easy to make farang pay by concealing what is going on. One can come up with all sorts of spurious defenses: Thais pay taxes; it's still cheaper than home; it's beneath me to quibble; etc, but none of these stand up under cross-examination.

So on any given day, at any given place, maybe I'll pay the 30B if I feel like it, maybe I won't. Either way, in the big picture I'm still undisturbed, because at least I know the difference between right and wrong. For the purveyors of dual pricing, all I can do is hope that they can work their way out of greed and ignorance.

:)

Many years ago when I used to get upset over these minor irritations my family visted from UK.

We went to a place that had dual pricing and I chose not to enter "I have principles you know"

Despite pleas from my family "We'll pay", "You can explain things to us", "we want you with us" etc, I stood by my "it's not the money you know, it's the principle".

So I watched a disappointed family go in without me and I saw a delighted family come out, but their words were tinged with sadness, "we would have enjoyed it more if you had been with us' and "I wish we had some pictures from there with you in" and it made me realise what a stupid, bah humbug, miserable SOB I had been over a few lousy baht. Here was my family who had come to visit me at great expense, not interested in the slightest if the Thai's charge more for this or that group - they were on holiday and just wanted to be happy and for me to join in with them, but I waited outside because 'I have principles'. :)

When it comes to paying admission to anywhere ever since, I have not let my principles be the deciding factor again, whether with family, friends or alone....and I feel better for it :D

I'm glad to see that somebody saw the light. All the anger and hatred here because people first of all assumed the worst and secondly they got on their high horse over a trivial amount. The original poster had a similar visit from family in Bangkok and what should have been an enjoyable experience was marred for the sake of 'principles'. Some people spend a lot of time getting hot and bothered over little things. In most cases it's the result of 'culture shock' - not understanding or accepting that there are major differnces in values and behaviour. Look at some of the replies here and see how many people are irrationally angry or disturbed. That's culture shock, and it explains so much of the anger and frustration that gets aired on this forum on a regular basis. If you can see and accept that, then life becomes a lot easier and, dare I say, happier.

Did anyone notice the similarity between this and the infamous Free Water thread? A lot of people getting bothered about nothing.

So next time you're feeling  irrationally angry, remember what I said, then have a little smile, give a little whistle, and try to remember your favourite things, and then you won't feel ....................... so bad. :D

agreed, go with the flow in this case. Its not worth the stress imo.

I'm glad to see that somebody saw the light. All the anger and hatred here because people first of all assumed the worst and secondly they got on their high horse over a trivial amount. The original poster had a similar visit from family in Bangkok and what should have been an enjoyable experience was marred for the sake of 'principles'. Some people spend a lot of time getting hot and bothered over little things. In most cases it's the result of 'culture shock' - not understanding or accepting that there are major differnces in values and behaviour. Look at some of the replies here and see how many people are irrationally angry or disturbed. That's culture shock, and it explains so much of the anger and frustration that gets aired on this forum on a regular basis. If you can see and accept that, then life becomes a lot easier and, dare I say, happier.

Did anyone notice the similarity between this and the infamous Free Water thread? A lot of people getting bothered about nothing.

So next time you're feeling  irrationally angry, remember what I said, then have a little smile, give a little whistle, and try to remember your favourite things, and then you won't feel ....................... so bad. :)

Opting for short term happiness with denial and capitulation is certainly a choice many will choose to make but looking at history it takes some resistance and backbone to confront old ways and promote positive change.

A hundred years ago in Thailand, Slavery was completely interwoven and largely accepted by Thai culture. It took a good bit of pressure from internal and notably external sources to change this. Should people have opted for happiness then? How about the pressure and criticism heaped on Thailand for child prostitution? Would it be better to deny the pressure for change for fear of showing disrepect to the overall culture?

In both those cases and many more it helped Thailand move forward and gain a greater degree of world respect and acceptance. This same scenario plays out time and time again over the world when it comes to human rights. Of course there are many who don't want to rock the boat or consider any criticism to imply overall societal inferiority. It's silly. Cultures and societies can and do accept criticism and move forward. Changing discriminatory pricing will ultimately help Thailand attract visitors, investment and the respect of the modern world.

I grew up with this primitive thinking in Virginia USA. With a lot of these status quo thinkers if you criticised any part of the USA then you got the "love it or leave it" BullSh*%. People were willing to rock the boat a little and today Virginia is a much better place to live (unless your a diehard racist).

As the great Bruce Lee said "The only constant is change".

Human society fundamentally needs to progress and will do so despite overly thin skinned curmudeons. It's called progress and why we don't still live in caves use rape as preferred reproduction method. Thai culture is no worse for wear because it outlawed slavery and will be no less revered and respected if it stops discriminatory pricing practices.

I am not holding my breath though.

Good words.

And those who don't even shame the shit out of them when praying to win the lottery and for a new Toyota Fortuner should not call themselves Buddhist after all, they are not. 10 years ago I bought a dark blue truck with my own money but Oh HelI, the monk at the temple told my ex gf clearly that dark blue will bring bad luck, to avoid accidents it should be gold metallic. And she paid for this information so it was true. A serious argument followed and she locked herself up in the bahtroom for 3 hours, totally confused. The mental stability of a Thai Buddhist who every Sunday spends hours at the temple.

Sometimes if you look at the backside of a temple where you're not supposed to be, you can see strange things like monks sitting on their expensive cars smoking and a talking trough a mobile. <deleted>...

But the fundamental ethical behaviors for all practicing Buddhists ? Never heard of.

pukey.gif

(with all respect ofcourse for those lovely Thais who have more understanding)

some people of the christian faith are questionable as well, so dont forget them :)

This year I spent 2 months in India and was rather shocked to see the over 1000% dual pricing to their museums and palaces. I also stood by my principles not to pay the ridiculous prices but realized too late that I was punishing myself because of their greed. In the future, I'll just think maipenrai and pay the dual price unless I can figure out how to get local pricing or arrive at a National Park site before they open and get in for free.

I'm with the mai pen rairer's on this one :) , it's not racism by the ordinary Thai people it's just greed by those few who should know better.

I went to the zoo a few months with the family to see the new aquariuam and expected to be asked a huge sum to see it because I'm a farang and got all hot and bothered about it. went to pay at the window and the nice lady charged me the 'Thai' family price without any prompting from me.

After walking up the back route of Doi Suthep me and a friend walked to the temple and said to the guy at the top [in Thai] we've just walked up and weren't tourists just wanted to see the view and he let us in without paying. If he'd said no he would of been just a man doing his job not some farang hating nazi Thai, I'm sure.