1993 800 Cc Vulcan Rebuild

ray23

This is where it all started believe me this is not for the faint of heart, Bike has a clean book so it's worth it. 00ps it's a 1997

100_3540.jpg

100_3541.jpg

On closer inspection you get a clearer picture of what you are really dealing with. Everything on the handle bars including them were beyond cleaning and rechroming so everything had to be replaced

100_3542.jpg

100_3543.jpg

100_3545.jpg

Ya that number plate is something First purchased by a lady who owns a car lot here. She must have pulled some strings to get that done.

This is where it gets scary all of sudden, your bike is five different place between Bangkok and Udon Thani.

100_3577.jpg

100_3578.jpg

100_3579.jpg

100_3580.jpg

Edited by ray23

So far the only new parts I have had to but a set of matched Michelen tires. an new timing chains from Japan, some things had to go to Bangkok for rechroming a lot was just some serious clean up

100_3539.jpg

100_3548.jpg

100_3549.jpg

100_3570.jpg

The hardest hings to clean have been the wheels real bear to get the spokes. Thirteen years of build up gunk some required physically scraping the gunk off anything near the chain. Many many applications of degreaser. The small spaces you are talking hand work no way will you get a buffer into the small spaces just got to stay after it, took three days to do the front wheel alone.

100_3598.jpg

100_3588.jpg

Spare parts are easy to find but, I have been in Udon for seven years so I have learned the right places to go. Most everyhting comes out of Bangkok.

100_3585.jpg

100_3587.jpg

100_3598.jpg

100_3588.jpg

This rear chain sprocket was real surprise until you got to the final stages of cleaning you couldn't see there were four broken teethe so I'm replacing to front and rear sprockets. The gunk had formed do hard i really looked like normal teethe until yuo got it cleaned up.

I paid 170 for the bike should be done with about 60 to 70 K. Not bad I tend to ride my bikes for five years or so, if I really like them I'm going to like this one. Now I will bitch moan and groan but the truth is I'm in my element now making one that is unique to me. My bike by the time I sell them are in far better condition then when I buy them. But I enjoy it, so I lose a little money I can live with that. The 400 I have now is not going cheap I like the bike. So if I'm lucky no one will buy it :)

100_3589.jpg

Edited by ray23

Well this is supposed to be done Oct, 1, 2009 I have my doubts.

This one came out real nice

100_3615.jpg

100_3614_1.jpg

100_3617_1.jpg

p><p>New parts for cleaning check out th

/800%20Vucan%20rebuild/100_3619.jpg' alt='100_3619.jpg'>

100_3627.jpg

100_3628.jpg

100_3629.jpg

100_3630.jpg

The rediator has been flushed and painted still have to work on the fan assembly. All the shocks have been delivered now,

100_3612.jpg

100_3613.jpg

Ray, are you keeping tabs on how much you spend? This seems a big project, once you replace most bearings and seals as well.

Try to find a large ultra sonic cleaning bath.

Parts are pretty pricey, huh?

I only rode the Vulcan 800 as pillion and doing 160 km/h the bike jumped over a bump and my 100 kg behind was landing on the sissy bar's highest point. That was scary.

Hope you will get this done quickly and then have a beautiful ride for many trouble free years!

Chris

Yes 'mI watching it very closely I wouldn't even try this without seven years experience in Udon Thani. Saving money where I can by doing the clean up work myself, the works better and I don't pay the guy a dime :) Have a pretty good handle on what mechanics to use for the different things. I'm getting some tuly custom paint work for 8K. Timig chains are the only real biggy thus far.

Unless something goes really nuts on me it will be in the 70K area.

Edited by ray23

Yes 'mI watching it very closely I wouldn't even try this without seven years experience in Udon Thani. Saving money where I can by doing the clean up work myself, the works better and I don't pay the guy a dime :) Have a pretty good handle on what mechanics to use for the different things. I'm getting some tuly custom paint work for 8K. Timig chains are the only real biggy thus far.

Unless something goes really nuts on me it will be in the 70K area.

Great pics, keep up the good work -and the photos as you go.

Keeping a record of expenses . . . you're in too deep to stop now, and writing it all down may just give nightmares in future. Best forgotten, you'll get a good life out of the 'new' bike

cheers

This is the second one I have done. If I wasn't so darn pickey I could have just ridden it as is. I know there is nickle dime stuff around the corner always is. My 400 is a great bike just under powered. When I ran the 800 up to 120 in third gear with no strain I knew I had my passing problen sloved. Beyond that it will be babied all the time. My normal ride speed depending where I am is 80 to 120. should get many years out of this. This is going so well I may do the 400 next summer.

It was so funny two guys stopped by to check out the 400 wanting to buy it. They choked when they heard 160K. Hey legal books are not cheap. That was when I realized I really don't want to sell it. It is in great condtion easier to handle in town. After the other one is done some shoves 160 in my hand they got a bike otherwise I will keep my second Mia Noi.

The Mia Noi story my bikes are my Mia No's wife was complaining about the money I was spending on bikes. I remeded her I was retired and needed something to so it as the Bikes ar ar a Mia Noi. Her response I really like motorcycles. :):D

Edited by ray23

Theres a clean vulcan 800 photo for sale stuck on my mates garage wall.. 139 asking (booked obviously)..

Dont know what 400 your selling for 160 but if its a steed I would choke too.. Guess stuff aint any cheaper up north.

Looks like your getting it all cleaned out.. Will be great to see the finished result.

Theres a clean vulcan 800 photo for sale stuck on my mates garage wall.. 139 asking (booked obviously)..

Dont know what 400 your selling for 160 but if its a steed I would choke too.. Guess stuff aint any cheaper up north.

Looks like your getting it all cleaned out.. Will be great to see the finished result.

Ya no doubt about it things are more expensive up this way, with books hard to find. Lots of cheap ones around with no book. 400 Dragstar on the local local forum right now for 95K no book, at 70K for a book and I'm the right price range

I may have a guy interested in that 800, how do we get the seller and buyer together?

Wish I would have known about it before I bought this one but that's me a day late and a dollar short :)

Edited by ray23

Where it started

100_3629-1.jpg

Where it finished

100_3672.jpg

Start

100_3631.jpg

Finish

100_3673.jpg

100_3587.jpg

Start

Finish I spent a good seven hours on this part. never really got to where I wanted it. The only other option would be to take the brake assembly apart and have it chromed, down side I would probably lose breaking power. not good. I would also more then likely delay the completion. I want to ride this bugger so this was good enough :)

100_3674.jpg

Edited by ray23

Ya no doubt about it things are more expensive up this way, with books hard to find. Lots of cheap ones around with no book. 400 Dragstar on the local local forum right now for 95K no book, at 70K for a book and I'm the right price range

I may have a guy interested in that 800, how do we get the seller and buyer together?

Wish I would have known about it before I bought this one but that's me a day late and a dollar short :)

Sure was at the workshop yesterday.. Also being told that as well as the clean booked bike.. it comes with almost a second bike in bits / spares / etc.. I dont know the full details (as we were just shooting the breeze) and if he means 'a second bike' of if he means a large amount of second hand bits ?? Remember I am talking to the workshop owner whose just passing on the info of a customers bike thats on the 'for sale' wall.

I might be back the workshop today.. Might be early - mid the week.. But will get the info and pass it on.

Also think theres a few booked steeds about.. I will ask on pricing. One was peachy clean and motivated but cant remember if 600 or not.

Well my end is done, one thing I learned in this replace the spokes it takes days to clean them and they still don't look great. I must have hit them with degreaser five times. But it's still down to hand polishing, no way will you get a buffer in there. Anyone have a better way?

100_3689.jpg

100_3688.jpg

Everything was cone with four applications of wax, won't get a clear shot at most of it again, then wrapped so they stayed clean till the mechanic actually put them on.

100_3708.jpg

While I was mumbling through, things were happening on the other end as well. The mechanic had the frame painted. My parts were there on time

100_3709.jpg

100_3710.jpg

This really impressed me he was taking the same time and care I was. I have used this guy for some seven years on different projects. Never seen him take his kind of care before. It might have been because he saw what I was doing and got in the spirit of the project who knows Only difference between what he was doing and I was. I waxed everything several times, he didn't. So I will go after what I can get at as soon as I can get it. Rust happens fast. The stuff he using is the same thing I used. It cleans but doesn't protect. I will probably start visiting the shop and wax it as he puts it back together.

How the heck he finds anything in all this clutter I will never know but he does.

100_3711.jpg

Man things really get exciting when you it actually it is being put back together again

100_3712.jpg

100_3713.jpg:)

Still waiting on Parts from Japan and the chrome work from Bangkok. Hope fully the painting will be done next week. If your talking about one color that happens fast but when your talking custom paint work. You just got to be patient :roll: