1 Day & 1 Night In Singapore

wileycoyote

we usually stay at the new magestc hotel, cool place if your into the artsy thing http://www.newmajestichotel.com/,

or the ritz usualy has pretty good deals if your booking a while out.. As far as sight seeing goes, well little india is pretty cool lots of good food, stupid ammounts of shopping for the lady.. For seafood no signboard seafood is always on my must go to list http://www.nosignboardseafood.com/ i always go to the east coast location because it has a nice big outside area on the water...mmm chilli crab...dont be fooled by the website its really not so pricy and looks much fancier online than in real life, at leat he east coast one that is

hands down the best food in sing is at the hawker centers, just like thai street food only much cleaner, plenty in the chinaown area and they are open late.. but also a few good ones on orchard road.

Edited by tb86

visitsingapore website is the official website of Singapore Tourist Promotion Board.

http://www.visitsingapore.com/publish/stbp...tel_online.html

In that website there are ample resources, materials about Singapore. I would advise you to plan your own iteneraries since you still have more than a month prior your visit to Singapore.

Perhaps you might want to visit our Night Safari and museums.

http://www.acm.org.sg/home/home.asp

And I would like to warn you that there are some food owners whom might overcharged, especially on seafood ...

http://comment.straitstimes.com/showthread.php?t=24388

Hope you enjoy your stay here in Singapore.

Will be in Singapore 27th Sept

Is there any events on ?

Which hotel would you recommend for a couple ,good location ,medium price

We are not too energetic ,what would be best for sightseeing ?

Wiley Coyote

Hi Guys copy this link into your browser - www.couchsurfing.org/home.html

We have traveled the world and stayed with families in many countries - including Singapore. Whilst you may feel you have reservations - they will surely melt away once you take the plunge.

Our time in Singapore with a family was nothing short of fantastic. They took us everywhere and we learned so much about the place, all the hidden places, shops and eating houses.

You can "browse" the couchsurfing site to try and match yourself with "like minded" people - just like the rest of humanity they are a diverse bunch. Of course you will not pay anything for your accommodation, as this is the "spirit" of couchsurfing. We have stayed with over 25 families and NOT ONCE have we regretted it. We email these friends from across Asia and Europe. We did not choose this to save accommodation costs, rather to interact with local people in their own culture. I cannot begin to tell you how fascinating these experiences have been.

Whatever you choose, have a great time

Warm Regards

Mal & Lee

make sure you know how much the food is, before you place any order.

$74 = B1702 for a simple meal for 4.

http://www.straitstimes.com/ST+Forum/Onlin...ory_433411.html

Chinatown foodstall charged tourists $74 for simple meal ON TUESDAY, I took my three cousins from Indonesia to Chinatown for some sightseeing, and we had lunch at an eatery in Trengganu Street that sold chicken rice. As we were used to the hawker centre way of ordering food - the place did not look any fancier than a hawker stall - we went straight to the counter to order some chicken rice and drinks. I told my cousins that the last time I ate there, it had cost me no more than $4 a plate.

When the bill arrived, we were shocked to see that the cost came up to $74. Each plate of chicken rice cost us $12, and a plate of char siew cost $18. This was double the price we would have paid in the foodcourts of Ngee Ann City and Wisma Atria.

It is simply unthinkable that a simple eatery with outdoor plastic chairs and no air-conditioning could charge double what fancy foodcourts in Orchard Road charge.

We complained about the bill to the staff and the owner, who curtly said that everything was on the menu, that each plate of chicken rice was either $8, $10 or $12.

However, we were never shown this menu before or while we ordered, and the staff never asked us if we wanted the $8, $10 or $12 plate. Billboards displaying the menu also did not indicate the price. And it was not as if the staff could not explain the menu or prices to us earlier: At least one employee could speak English.

I wanted to show my cousins, who have not visited Singapore in nine years, that the country does not tolerate tourist scams. I was very disappointed that this practice still exists, even after widespread publicity of overcharging at Newton Circus.

I hope the Singapore Tourism Board takes notice of this issue and encourages food sellers to display prices on their menus to avoid such incidents in future. After all, we do not want people to stop coming to Singapore just because they have an unpleasant experience like this.

Elina Ciptadi (Ms)

Spend 34 Sing dollars and buy a ticket on the Hippo bus tour, buses every 30 mins or so - two routes that run around the city and visit all the sites in Singapore, hop on and hop off as you will, great value and a brilliant way for the new visitor to see the City.

why pay $34, you can have unlimited train and bus rides for $8day. Moreover the train and bus rides cover the whole of Singapore, unlike the Hippo ride which ply only the city area and you never know when the next Hippo ride will be.

<H1 class="consumer style7">Singapore Tourist Pass</H1>Unravel the treasueres of Singapore with a Pass!Enjoy unlimited train and bus rides with a pass at only $8 a day. With the Rent-A-Card scheme, you do not need to purchase an ez-link card. Just be sure to return the card within 5 days and enjoy the use of the card absolutely free!

On top of exclusive promotional offers and benefits at various retailers and F&B outlets, the Tourist Pass comes packed with all you need to know to help you start savouring popular attractions and hidden local treasures.

http://www.ezlink.com.sg/consumer/consumer_tourist.jsp

Edited by supergoondu

why pay $34, you can have unlimited train and bus rides for $8day. Moreover the train and bus rides cover the whole of Singapore, unlike the Hippo ride which ply only the city area and you never know when the next Hippo ride will be.

<H1 class="consumer style7">Singapore Tourist Pass</H1>Unravel the treasueres of Singapore with a Pass!Enjoy unlimited train and bus rides with a pass at only $8 a day. With the Rent-A-Card scheme, you do not need to purchase an ez-link card. Just be sure to return the card within 5 days and enjoy the use of the card absolutely free!

On top of exclusive promotional offers and benefits at various retailers and F&B outlets, the Tourist Pass comes packed with all you need to know to help you start savouring popular attractions and hidden local treasures.

http://www.ezlink.com.sg/consumer/consumer_tourist.jsp

I take your point, but for someone who is visiting for the first time and only has twenty four hours, it's a little nightmarish to expect them to get onto an unfamiliar mass transit system in a city they've never been to before and expect them to see much of anything at all! At least with something like the Hippo tours you get to see all of the central attractions and places of interest at least once - timetables are published and as with everything else in Singapore, are accurate.

Just a quick thank you for all the good ideas. My friends and I are making a quick hop to SIN for a couple days. One lady is coming to see her b/f and I know what she's going to be doing :) However, my other friend has never been out of Thailand before and I want him to see what cleanliness and order is like. I was at a loss of how to arrange this and the thread gave me alot of options. Unfortunately, too many options, which isn't so bad, just that if I hear the "up to you" answer another 10 times when I suggest hotels and activities I am going to take a pen and lobotomize myself. I am looking forward to i freaking my buddy out when I drink the tap water, since he knows I won't touch the stuff in Phuket.

BTW, the best suggestion was the tourist subway/transit pass. I had completely forgotten about it. Thank you again.

27 Oct... Hmm, Singapore celebrates Deepavali on the 18th October.

And if you have the tourist subway pass (called the MRT Mass Rapid Transit) in Singapore perhaps you could visit stations like Chinatown, Clarke Quay, Little India, or even Aljunied.

Chinatown and Clarke Quay are considered in the city I think, go to Chinatown Station and alight for a good meal and to buy some goodies like some local sweets, barbecued pork, or just some souvenirs back home. If eating at a food outlet (on its own, ie. not in a hawker centre) be sure to ask for the price of the food before you commit, if you're unsure of its pricing. Clarke Quay Station has the clubs and the nightlife, so its best to go at night.

If you're more adventurous, you could try Little India. Alight at Little India or Farrer Park station. A little cultural enclave with many migrants from the India, Bangladesh etc. who gather there on the weekends. Not sure what it'll be like on a weekday, but you can try Indian food there I think. You can also explore the little shops there. Has a Mustafa Shopping Centre there, but not recommended if you're just here for a day. Not sure if there'll still be Deepavali decorations around, since it would be 9 days ago.

You could also alight at Aljunied Station. That's where Geylang is. You can explore the many, many food outlets there, from smelly tofu to frog legs or steamboats. It's also the red light district, so it's rather lively at night. And you can get some good durians there too.

Those are my recommendations, but of course the usual haunts for tourists would be Orchard station, Somerset station, which is where the shopping belt is - you won't get cheap stuff there, though. Suntec City Mall, the largest shopping /exhibition mall (plus you have Marina Square nearby), also provides some good shopping. For that, you'll have to alight at City Hall station.

And if you just want to explore on the train, you could get in during the day, and go Eastwards (board the train on the green line that is in the direction of Pasir Ris.) After Lavender station, the train comes out of the tunnel and you can see how real Singaporeans live their lives, and the cleanliness and order that you want to show your friend. Hope this helps!

Sorry if it's a bit of an overkill, just providing some choices!

Edited by smint

I forgot to add. For more shopping, you could also try Bugis - has some good food as well as an air conned shopping mall, and Bugis Village - large "market" which sells stuff like bags, clothes, some street food and drinks, caps, hats, belts, and the like.

I agree with these comments, but, if its only a day and a night.....go by Taxi.......make a note of the previous threads and a taxi will take you. They always use meters and there are many, I lived there for almost 8 years.

If Zoo,s are your thing , its a day out but not really anything Singaporean.

Be careful if a Taxi driver approaches you, its not normal, just find a Taxi stand and get it from there.

Edited by soihok

Agree. Would be best to select locations that interest you and just go by taxi, planning where you would like to go for the day and night, since your stay is rather short.

If you're deciding on this, you could skip the $8 pass, since an average train trip costs around $1+ and you might not be taking more than 4 trips a day if you're going by taxi. :D You could get a normal, one-time card to ride on the train with a refundable deposit, so you don't have to worry about the tourist pass then. :)

Edited by smint