Monks Rally Against Beer Chang

george

Monks rally against Beer Chang stock market listing

BANGKOK: -- More than 5,000 monks from across the country demonstrated in front of the Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET) on Friday against the listing of one of the country’s leading beer and spirits manufacturer.

The Buddhist monks distributed pamphlets protesting against the listing of Thai Beverages, which produces the popular Beer Chang, arguing that it would harm people's health and the country's economy in the long-run.

The monks also opposed the listing because it was against Buddhist beliefs and could increase social problems, including crime.

They urged the SET directors to reject the listing of the liquor company. The SET board is scheduled to discuss the issue at its meeting on Wednesday.

The SET Vice president accepted a protest letter from the monks while scores of police officers helped direct the traffic.

The Chonburi-based Buddhist monk centre organised the demonstration and urged its members throughout the country to join the protest as it was the duty of Buddhist monks to protect public morality.

The centre had earlier protested against cigarette and alcohol consumption.

--TNA 2005-03-18

Every time I see monks at least 40% of them are smoking, perhaps they should take a stronger stance against Graft, lies,face, theft and other immoralities we see everyday in their congregations, this would have a much more positive affect on Thailand than stopping one company from legitimetly floating on the stock exchange

Edited by toastwars

I had never seen a monk smoke or drinks but I think they should stay out of the stock exchange because Beer Chang does makes the economy goes around.

As far the health for the people it wouldn't make a different if there are beer chang or not.. people will still drinks... and Thai people likes to Drink..

:o

Aren't Monks supposed to close themselves off from the world of people to become enlightened? How come they are following these events anyway? They are even supposed to have T.V.s and radios? :o

They must keep up with the news through the Internet. Every time I stop at a computer plaza in Thailand, there is always at least one group of monks in attendance, checking out the latest wares. :D

Aren't Monks supposed to close themselves off from the world of people to become enlightened? How come they are following these events anyway? They are even supposed to have T.V.s and radios? :o

They must keep up with the news through the Internet. Every time I stop at a computer plaza in Thailand, there is always at least one group of monks in attendance, checking out the latest wares. :D

and helping the BG's extract brass from farang punters abroad :D

And "warez" as well. Someone must have a computer back in the barracks. I have also see them with mobile telephones.

I don't think that being a monk necessarily means giving up all worldly possessions. After all, it is compulsory for every Thai male to do a stint in the priesthood, and it'd be a big ask to make them give up access to all their hard-earned material possessions. :D

I think this demonstration was just a face thing... a little stand on morality as a reminder to the general populace of their Buddhist heritage.

C'mon Doc... funny comment but not realistic. :D

Monks rarely interact with farangs, and never interact with BG's.

Edited by Jai Dee

Aren't Monks supposed to close themselves off from the world of people to become enlightened? How come they are following these events anyway? They are even supposed to have T.V.s and radios? :D

it was a cheap shot :o

Aren't Monks supposed to close themselves off from the world of people to become enlightened? How come they are following these events anyway? They are even supposed to have T.V.s and radios? :D

it was a cheap shot :o

Apology accepted.

:D

I think this demonstration was just a face thing... a little stand on morality as a reminder to the general populace of their Buddhist heritage

I think you are right - it's as much a PR thing as anything else. Though the monks should lead the way and implement the Sangha Council ruling that monks should not smoke.

According to my wife monks are strictly not allowed to smoke, but then again they do a lot of things which aren't

There's no rule against smoking in the vinaya - it does not actually count as "drugs or alcahol or substances that cause carelessness". But the Sangha council has spoken out against it, many abbots ban it, and the ministry for Buddhism and Culture has tried to add pressure. But it is a modern day thing, not actually in the rules.... In many country temples I have seen lay people actually offer cigarettes in the evening and after lunch... Ajahn Cha, possibly the strictest vinaya monk of modern times, also did not ban it.