Home-grown Rule Introduced

mrbojangles

How do you think this will effect your team?

From skysports:-

Home-grown rule introduced

The Premier League have introduced a home-grown player rule which will come into effect from next season, alongside a limit on squad sizes.

From the 2010/11 campaign, the 20 Premier League clubs have voted to introduce measures which will see all teams required to have eight home-grown players out of a squad of 25.

Chief executive Richard Scudamore confirmed the changes, with clubs only able to make alterations to their squads during the two transfer windows.

"As of next season clubs will be required to have a squad named of up to 25 players, of which no more than 17 can be over the age of 21 and not home grown," Scudamore said.

"The definition of home grown is trained for three years under the age of 21 by somebody in the English and Welsh professional system.

"Clubs will have to declare their 25 at the end of August when the window shuts and then again at the end of January."

Players who are aged under 21 are eligible over and above the limit of 25 players per squad.

Scudamore does not believe the move will encourage clubs to hoard young foreign players and claims the England team will ultimately reap the reward.

"It's not in the club's interests to stockpile players. It will make buying home-grown talent more attractive," he said.

"We're not going down the route of a nationality test but what this will mean is that you just can't buy a team from abroad.

"We think it will give clubs an extra incentive to invest in youth. We think that one of the benefits will be that it will help the England team."

All 20 Premier League members also agreed to adhere to a set of financial reporting rules designed to protect the viability and sustainability of the clubs.

"They will all have to annually submit accounts and future financial information," said Scudamore.

"At all times the board of the Premier League will be applying a test which basically says this: can the club fulfil its fixtures, pay off its creditors when they are due and also to meet obligations to the Premier League's contracts and partners?

"If the board believe a club is at risk of not meeting those obligations, it has to then step in and agree a budget for the running of that club. Any transfers can be embargoed.

"It's absolutely crucial that these clubs are run as ongoing viable concerns. These financial rules apply immediately.

"This is tied in, and we passed the rule during the summer, to a 'fit and proper person test'. At our club meeting last week, the clubs absolutely endorsed our position of not linking expenditure to income."

I'm not sure how this is going to address the problem of "kidnapping" boys from abroad. Isn't it just going to encourage clubs to poach foreign based players before they reach the age of 18 ? When they turn 21 they're going to be classed as being home grown anyway.

West Ham, for instance, have sixteen players who are not English or Welsh but will all qualify to play under the new ruling.

I'm not sure how this is going to address the problem of "kidnapping" boys from abroad. Isn't it just going to encourage clubs to poach foreign based players before they reach the age of 18 ? When they turn 21 they're going to be classed as being home grown anyway.

they do that already though. united, arsenal, liverpool and chelsea in particular have been doing it for years. fabregas being the prime example.

Edited by StevieH

Another issue, is a squad of 25 enough for teams who are playing in the Chamions League and having good runs in Domestic Cups, as well as playing a long hard season in the Premiership?

If its the same for all clubs, I don't see it as an issue. Injuries will play a bigger part though.

The financial rule could affect you though, if your owner can't make those vast mortgage payments :)

If you are referring to this point... "At all times the board of the Premier League will be applying a test which basically says this: can the club fulfil its fixtures, pay off its creditors when they are due and also to meet obligations to the Premier League's contracts and partners"

I think this is a bigger risk for teams like West Ham at the moment.

all smoke and mirrors, will have little or no impact at all. aside from driving up the price of english players even higher than it is already.

i agree, instead of paying over the top for foreign players, it's payday for local lads.

there's been an 'english tax' for several seasons now. wright-phillips, bentley, lescott, milner, johnson all over-priced really. michael turner for 12m is mental.

Another issue, is a squad of 25 enough for teams who are playing in the Chamions League and having good runs in Domestic Cups, as well as playing a long hard season in the Premiership?

If its the same for all clubs, I don't see it as an issue. Injuries will play a bigger part though.

But it isn't the same James. The likes of United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool play in the Chamions league and will probably have good cup runs. The likes of Burnley, Wolves, Birmingham, Portsmouth etc don't play in the Champions League and I doubt they will have good cup runs. This could mean a difference of more than 20 games over a season. Don't know the stats for last season but i bet United played at least 20 games more than say Newcastle.

But it isn't the same James. The likes of United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool play in the Chamions league and will probably have good cup runs. The likes of Burnley, Wolves, Birmingham, Portsmouth etc don't play in the Champions League and I doubt they will have good cup runs. This could mean a difference of more than 20 games over a season. Don't know the stats for last season but i bet United played at least 20 games more than say Newcastle.

Well, I am concerned about the injury potential but we as a club rotate the squad as a general rule. Other clubs that don't do it as much, may have to.

Am I right in saying this ruling doesn't apply to League & F.A. Cups, and thus teams will be able to field teams with other players rather than the 25 nominated squad ?

Not sure ken. I hope so, cos we're going to have a busy time next year, in the Champions League and defending both the FA and League Cups that we're gonna win this year :)

Am I right in saying this ruling doesn't apply to League & F.A. Cups, and thus teams will be able to field teams with other players rather than the 25 nominated squad ?

Not sure ken. I hope so, cos we're going to have a busy time next year, in the Champions League and defending both the FA and League Cups that we're gonna win this year :)

Have you been smoking those date palm leaves again in that hookah of yours ?......... :D

Which probably accounts for the 5 star rating this topic has,,,,,,,,,,, :D

Edited by LeungKen

they do that already though. united, arsenal, liverpool and chelsea in particular have been doing it for years. fabregas being the prime example.

That's exactly why I was questioning these new rule, particularly in that respect. And not only with the clubs that you mention. In fact it's not Arsenal who are the main culprits in what amounts to the international traffic of young boys. Fabregas was 16 when he joined Arsenal -- I'm referring to far younger than that and not from one of the worlds top clubs like Barcelona.

In the light of what's been revealed lately these rules are about as radical as watching grass grow.

A bit confused, so this might be what they call stupid questions, so please bear with me now guys.

I saw a list on Guardian Unlimited football, of the teams and what they have of local/foreign players.

The clubs that have very big squads, and have something that almost look like a stock pile of players, as they think they need them if they want to compete in all competitions as long as possible.

Will these teams be forced to get rid of some of the their foreign players?

If yes, could this not lead to the clubs being forced to either let them go as free agents, or sell them for almost any price in order to at least get something back from their investments?

Not a stupid question at all Travel2003, it's a very good question and I for 2, don't know what the answer is. IMO, Clubs should at least be able to fulfill any contracts that are already in place, although not renewing them if it means they go over their quota.

Thank you for that.

If they have to get rid of some of the foreigners, this can be quite a mouth-watering scenario for the smaller clubs with open slots in their squads.

A bit confused, so this might be what they call stupid questions, so please bear with me now guys.

I saw a list on Guardian Unlimited football, of the teams and what they have of local/foreign players.

The clubs that have very big squads, and have something that almost look like a stock pile of players, as they think they need them if they want to compete in all competitions as long as possible.

Will these teams be forced to get rid of some of the their foreign players?

If yes, could this not lead to the clubs being forced to either let them go as free agents, or sell them for almost any price in order to at least get something back from their investments?

It won't make much difference to the big clubs as they will just get rid of the old dross and be even more inclined to act like vultures in poaching younger players throughout Europe. That is, a lot of older players will be dumped (sold off) and squads will only have 25 players, maximum of 17 non homegrown. If a club wants to use anymore than those 25 the players will have to be U21. Thus increasing the incentive to poach any young player who shows talent, from wherever. This will further over-inflate the market for young foreign players , leaving only the very rich clubs able to compete for their signatures.

Scots and Irish players could also miss out because if they are not with the clubs from their youth they are unlikley to be signed as most will be unlikely to compare with the talent of other foreign signings that would be made with a maximum of 17 foreign players allowed. It seems obvious that the rich clubs at the top of the pile will pick and choose the more gifted.

The whole thing is a short-sighted disgrace really. Compounding issues that aren't being addressed but should be, and reinforcing existing problems in favour of the rich clubs.

• 6 months later...

The new Premier League regulations, for playing squads, come into force at the start of next season and include a cap of 25 players for the first team squad. Clubs will be able to supplement the squad with unlimited additional players under the age of 21 on 1st January in the year in which the season starts.Changing the squad players is only permissible during transfer windows.

There is also the home grown element of the regulations which in effect means that clubs will be required to have a squad named up to 25 players, of which no more than 17 can be over the age of 21 and not home grown.

IF we are a Prem Team next Year, it will be ok for us that's for sure, i doubt if we have 25 First Team Players over 21 that haven't been brought up through our system anyway, in fact i'm sure we haven't..

It the british or English Cap that i want to see but with the European Union a sit is, i can't see it happening ...

• 3 weeks later...