Uk Tourist Visa Refusal After 8 Weeks

Hi all.

My girl was called to collect her passport today and has been refused her tourist visa for the UK. We waited 8 dam_n weeks to be turned down. She's gutted, I'm gutted.

The reason given was that we didn't show enough evidence of a genuine relationship. I provided photos of us in Bangkok, her home town, Laos and Cambodia. I sent pages and pages of phone records covering over 6 months, records of bank transfers for over 6 months. I've been there to see her twice as they could see in my passport.

The worst part is the time wasted, and that we'll have to wait another who-knows-how-long for the next application to be processed.

Any advice on how I can better support our next application? What else can I do other than prove that we speak several times every day, have been places together, and that I financially support her? It's just crazy, I'm not going to send money to a stranger every month am I?

At the time of application we'd been together for just 8 months, next time we apply it'll be getting on for a year so that's in our favour. But if they didn't take the evidence given over 8 months of relationship as being valid are they likely to believe that an extra 4 months of the same kind of evidence proves what they didn't believe before?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Simon.

Hi all.

My girl was called to collect her passport today and has been refused her tourist visa for the UK. We waited 8 dam_n weeks to be turned down. She's gutted, I'm gutted.

The reason given was that we didn't show enough evidence of a genuine relationship. I provided photos of us in Bangkok, her home town, Laos and Cambodia. I sent pages and pages of phone records covering over 6 months, records of bank transfers for over 6 months. I've been there to see her twice as they could see in my passport.

The worst part is the time wasted, and that we'll have to wait another who-knows-how-long for the next application to be processed.

Any advice on how I can better support our next application? What else can I do other than prove that we speak several times every day, have been places together, and that I financially support her? It's just crazy, I'm not going to send money to a stranger every month am I?

At the time of application we'd been together for just 8 months, next time we apply it'll be getting on for a year so that's in our favour. But if they didn't take the evidence given over 8 months of relationship as being valid are they likely to believe that an extra 4 months of the same kind of evidence proves what they didn't believe before?

Simon.

"My girl"... My advice is you get married and register the marriage or else they will never trust or recognize you!l

Hi all.

Simon.

"My girl"... My advice is you get married and register the marriage or else they will never trust or recognize you!l

Tourist Visa - well gf needs to show reasons for her to return to thailand. Your relationship has no bearing on a tourist visa, actually probably more harmful. Other than a invitation to come visit and you will insure that she has proper accommodation/full board - this is only thing ECO is interested in.

1. gf needs to show her own income, not money you send her. She needs proof of employment.

2. Land ownership

3. If she is going to school ect..

Basically to be successful with a tourist visa - she needs to give the ECO reason why she would return to Thailand.

britmaverick -

The refusal specifically stated that despite the records of financial transactions, phone calls and personal photographs submitted that I hadn't given substantive proof of relationship so it must have some bearing on the application. As it was refused I can believe that it's harmful. It just seems so unrealistic to not mention it - are they to believe my female Thai buddy is just coming to stay for a while?

Burkie -

We do plan to marry in the future, but are being cautious about it. We want to be able to live together for at least two or three months before actually marrying. Unfortunately my job prohibits me from spending that much time in Thailand.

ThaiVisaExpress -

Thanks for your words of encouragement. I'm considering engaging your services as I want to maximise the chances of the next application being successful.

Hi all.

Simon.

Will make no difference at all. I did that a year after my lady having had a 3 months holiday in britain on a tourist visa. Then once we were married her visa to settle with me in Britain got refused. I had to go to the Queens' representative where I lived to get him to overrule the British Consul.

Did you go through an agent or do it off your own back, so to speak. It really is worth paying that bit extra, I can recommend a great company that organised for my g/f to come to the UK, took 10 days from her initial contact with them to her actually boarding her flight to the UK, (which incidentally they also helped her with). The cost of their services was 15,000B + 3800B to embassy for visa service. They will do absolutely everything and virtually guarantee a visa, if not your money back. My g/f paid 7,500B up front and the remainder when she went to pick up her visa, they even took her to the embassy, had a runner sorting out all documents, never took a commission for booking her flight, I really cannot recommend them enough. PM me if you want their details.

britmaveric -

Though it may not get much of a response, I think I'm going to email the ECO asking if they may have made a mistake. I know that appeals can take up to six months, but an email can't hurt.

yeesipha -

First time was four weeks, second time just under three weeks. I'm limited by annual leave from my office unfortunately. Had lots built up though to take her all around the U.K. when she got over here. I may use up a couple of weeks of that leave to head out there and see her and her family again next month.

Eazy-Going -

I did it off my own back. Got some good advice from people here on the forum, submitted 150 pages of documentation and thought that would be good enough. Thanks to the guys on the forum I overcame all the obstacles I had envisaged, didn't think I'd fall down at the evidence of relatioship hurdle as I had it covered with plenty of evidence.

Svenn -

From the other postings on this forum I don't think there is such a thing as a 'normal' turn around time for a UK tourist visa. Some people say they got theirs in a week, mine at eight weeks seems to be the longest wait. Current adivce is six weeks wait, but if you submit an application with a proposed travel date in the near future you are likely to be dealt with more quickly.

britmaveric -

Though it may not get much of a response, I think I'm going to email the ECO asking if they may have made a mistake. I know that appeals can take up to six months, but an email can't hurt.

There is no right of appeal on a normal tourist visa. You can email them and point out that you included the evidence, but don't hold your breathe. Better to re-apply. Make sure you write a good covering letter outlining your relationship and pointing out the evidence. Don't expect the ECO to read through the 150 pages you handed in to find things out, you have to guide them through it, or pay the price.

Did you include in your Application a letter out lining the History of your relationship and where you are going in your relationship, I did . i just put how we meet what we did together where we went , and what we would like to do in the Future. IE go to the UK to meet My family to see if my wife /girlfriend likes the Culture and climate and if she does then we would like to take our relationship to the next stage. Something on that grounds , as well as your letter of Grantee for her.

CharlieB -

I thought my covering letter was pretty good! I stated the facts and referred by section number to where the evidence for each point could be found in the supporting documentation.

Thongkorn -

My letter sounds very similar to yours. I outlined our relationship, when we met, where we had been together and that I have met her family. I mentioned that the visa was so she could meet my family, get to know the culture and way of life in the UK with a view to us being married and living together here in the future. And I stated that I would be responsible for all costs while she was staying with me. Not much else I could add to that is there?!?

It sounds like to me like they're just looking at the amount of time you have actually spent together... not unusual but still a bummer. I guess there is no option for you to come over to Thailand and live togther for 6 months and then re-apply?

PPG -

I'm afraid not, no way I can be out of the UK for 6 months. I'm not wealthy enough to give up work and my job keeps me in one place. I've tried looking for work in Thailand, but my field is quite specific (SAP basis administration) and there are very few vacancies.

There must be other people in my situation who have managed to make it work out for them. If we're required to spend more time together to prove our relationship the only thing I can do to boost our case is to go out there for another holiday.

I have met lot's of people who have been refused this visa, I just think it is not worth trying to get, in my experience you have to go for the fiancée one or the marriage one, on a lighter note you could try telling them she is anti Britain or paint her black and dress her up as a rag, that’s bound to get her in , as there are hundreds of these type all ready over their .

PPG -

I'm afraid not, no way I can be out of the UK for 6 months. I'm not wealthy enough to give up work and my job keeps me in one place. I've tried looking for work in Thailand, but my field is quite specific (SAP basis administration) and there are very few vacancies.

There must be other people in my situation who have managed to make it work out for them. If we're required to spend more time together to prove our relationship the only thing I can do to boost our case is to go out there for another holiday.

Might be worth waiting until you reach the year mark of your relationship and then re-apply with evidence for the whole year.

The cited reason for refusal suggests the ECO was considering an application for a settlement visa. Yes, very good idea to send an email/fax to exclude such possible error,first.It is 100% wrong that one should be married to be eligible for a 'holiday visa'. Nor is the duration of the relationship of much importance for such visa as long as the financial & accomodation criteria are met and (if applicable) the applicant's past visa history has no adverese records.Good Luck.

My girlfreind was given a tourist visa last week on our second attempt.

If you try again state the reasons why you disagree with the descision and explain your situation hasn't changed. Applying a second time also shows you are still both committed to each other, again proving the length of the relationship.

My girlfreind has no reason to return so we had to go on evidence of relationship (lots) and stated I would be returning with her.

You need evidence and lots of it, however I have been living with her over a year here in Thailand.

Good luck

Hi sy

yes i think your going to need to spend some more time together in thailand with your g/f to show that you and her are genuine.

yep you are stuck between a rock and a hard place me thinks with not being able to spend much time together due to work commitments.

as you say it might just be a case of resubmit every thing again after your next trip.I think that the sponser letter that you supply along with the

application needs to be spot on,remember this really is your only communication from you to the ECO so it needs to be perfect,so if there is any

doubt this should sway him,also in my opinion it would be best to hand write this,as it seems more personal .

I remember when my now wife then g/f first got her first V V for the UK we supplied around 20 peices of paperwork,and ten of them was my sponser

letter 10 A4pages long!.visa granted 1st time,in 2 days .

Good luck sy and g/f.

Hi all.

Simon.

My Thai friends always get a solicitor to do the job for them. Try www.Thaivisaexpress.co.uk or www.davieskhan.co.uk they are very very good. Sue

Often they do not read through the application file as i did not prepare this i have no idea of what you included.

Re apply bringing your concerns to the ECO that he may have missed several facts.

Good luck

When my girlfriend's visit visa application was refused on similar grounds that they doubted our relationship (despite 100 pages of emails etc) I wrote in complaining and explaining some so called 'inconsistencies' referred to in the reasons for refusal. Because there was no right of appeal they are very reluctant to do anything to overturn a decision and they told me to immediately reapply.

We immediately submitted an identical application and the visa was granted on the spot. (In those days you saw an ECO at the window at the Embassy and he made an immediate decision.)

On the other hand I know of other cases where a second application dealing comprehensively with the reasons for refusal of the first one have been refused out of hand on spurious grounds.

The present long delays are unacceptable. What's going on there?

Hi all.

Simon.

You don't say how long you've known your g/f but you should try to show evidence of your relationship for the full lengh of time you've known each other. If you supply six months worth of phone records etc it only proves you've known each other for six months, and passport stamps only show you've visited the country so you need to show you were together during those times.

When your g/f reapplies make sure you (politely) cover all the points in the refusal pointing out anything you think the ECO missed first time round, and don't forget to resumit all the evidence you supplied in the first application (the embassy won't have kept any records of what you submitted). Also write a good sponsors letter and include a brief history of your relationship and how it's progressed during the time you've known each other.

In one of your replys you said you wanted to try living together for two/three months before you decide to make your relationship permanent (consider marriage). DON'T put this in the application, if you do it's likely to be refused immediately because the ECO will say 'if your relationship is successful your g/f will be unlikely to want to travel all the way back to Thailand to reapply for the correct (settlement) visa', and she can't apply for the correct one in the UK. I was actually in the Embassy a few years ago when this happened to somebody at an interview.

And, as Britmaveric said, make sure you cover her reason to return to Thailand.

Good Luck.

Hi all.

Simon.

Visa refusals are quite common & reasons often ambiguous. My advice is to reapply and you will probably be successful (providing your application is sincere.) My wife (then girlfriend) first visa was refused 16 years ago for a reason we never understood. We re-applied and it was granted by return. Had the 2nd attempt failed we'd not be married today. I suspect the underlying problem maybe that the embassy staff are in a very mundane job but wield considerable power and few handle this very poorly. Most visa decisions seem to depend on what side of the bed they took that particular morning.

I suspect the underlying problem maybe that the embassy staff are in a very mundane job but wield considerable power and few handle this very poorly. Most visa decisions seem to depend on what side of the bed they took that particular morning.

Absolutely correct.

My fiancee was refused on the grounds of 'no reason to return to Thailand'. We appealed by email and were refused again. I enlisted the help of my local MP back home who came up with nothing. He repeated the old chestnut that she might not want to go back etc etc.

However, when we got married the following year we had no problem.

I'd be very interested to know how many Thai girls actually do a runner when they get to the UK. Very few I would imagine.

Edited by a10ams

Surely though, a Thai only needs to involve a sponsor if their own credentials are too weak to secure a visa on their own merits ? Thus, there is every need to substantiate the relationship because the OP's GF was not able to get the visa on her own. To suggest otherwise is ridiculous.