Weekend Trip On A Scooter

prepress

Hi Helmut,

Bangkok to Pattaya on the Bang Na Trat highway has to be one of the most miserable bike rides possible on a scooter... Recommend you drive / taxi / bus it down and if you're still in the mood to ride (a bike that is) :) rent a motorcycle in Pattaya.

Let us know how it goes!

Probably BigBikeBKK,

Is right, but if you open your eyes on a weekend in Pattaya and Jomtien you seen remarkable many small motorcycles from Bangkok then you can count. I'm sure that on a weekend more people travel from BKK to Chonburi province on a motorcycle then Kawasaki sold bike-bikes.

Maybe more then Kawasaki sold bikes, to some study done in 2006, nearly 35 million Thai people travel daily between provinces on a small volume motorcycle.. (This is nation width)

Edited by Richard-BKK

Nothing wrong going with a Nuovo, however there are a couple of good points above, the Bangna Trad road is pretty dangerous, however you can do the 344 which is better.

Should you go the Bangna Trad road down and then the highway from Chonburi to Pattaya, make SURE to fill full fuel check air etc. before you do the highway there are no fuel stops between so if you run out you're screwed.

Good luck on the trip, enjoy the weekend.

Cheers Bard

some study done in 2006, nearly 35 million Thai people travel daily between provinces on a small volume motorcycle.. (This is nation width)

You're saying that more than HALF of all Thais "travel daily between provinces on a small volume motorcycle" :)

Richard- when you make up studies at least give a little thought to making them believable, ok? What complete BS! :D

Helmut, are you happy with your Yamaha? Sorry that buying it was difficult for you. (My difficulty is finding the money, then getting the missus to consent to a purchase :) )

There are many places which rent scooters and Waves. But then, Pattaya is not that great to ride in.

Check out Petchabun! Take the train - it takes many hours but it will be unusual and okay if you bring a good book or take a nap.

From Victory Monument, vans are leaving for 130 or 150 Baht.

My next trip will be to Petchabun.

Chris

post-7704-1253080410_thumb.jpg

post-7704-1253080653.gif

^ +1!

No doubt about it Petchabun has some stunning roads and beautiful views! Would take a while there and back on a scooter though! Catching a van is all fine and good, but not sure if there are any decent bikes available for rent up there...

Here's a nice loop I did with the SSR gang in February-

UdonThaniRideMap.jpg

If staying in Petchabun I recommend the Khosit Hotel- probably the nicest hotel in Petchabun, biker friendly, nice pool, and good value-

020809Khosit6Sm.jpg

Pretty good breakfast buffet at the Kosit Cafe too :)

020809KhositER6n1Sm.jpg

Ride On!

Tony

Bkk to Pattaya via Bangna Trad is killer if done on a scooter.

However, if you ride good, got a decent bike and have good traffic awareness. It is a very fun and safer route to take. Since it is highway all the way.

No parked cars, bikes, dogs, tramps, junctions, traffic lights and the rest of the crap you will find on "B" roads.

I have taken the Bangna trad route many times and most times I do enjoy it. In the early days use to take runs to Pattaya just for a morning coffee.

If still determined to take the scooter to Pattaya. Then take the scooter with you on the bus. :)

Helmut, are you happy with your Yamaha?

I am very satisfied with my Yamaha Nuovo. I use it to 90% in Bangkok. I think a scooter is better to get through a traffic jam than a big bike. Outside Bkk. I would prefer a big bike.

But I would like to do the trip to Pattaya....

:)

Helmut, are you happy with your Yamaha?

I am very satisfied with my Yamaha Nuovo. I use it to 90% in Bangkok. I think a scooter is better to get through a traffic jam than a big bike. Outside Bkk. I would prefer a big bike.

But I would like to do the trip to Pattaya....

:)

+1 everything you said. I ride a Harley, Ducati Monster & Suzuki SV1000S back home but here I have a 2009 Nouvo and it works well in BKK traffic. I was thinking about taking it to Nakhon Nayok.