Filing For Us Social Security

JimGant

Approaching age 62, I just finished searching the SSA website for clues as to what I'll need to submit to start benefits -- and to whom and where. I had been under the impression I could do this at the US Embassy in Thailand. But according to the SSA website, I am wrong. Plus, the option to apply on-line and sign electronically is only available if you reside in the US.......

So, it looks like the closest place to file is at the US Consulate in Hong Kong (Korea and the Philippines would be the next closest). Has anyone been through this -- and if so, any recommendations/advice?

My Thai wife is a US citizen, with her own earned SS benefits, so she should have no problems. But I wonder what hurdles my friends with Thai wives who've never been out of Thailand will encounter iin order to get spousal benefits? Translated and certified birth and marriage certificates, at the minimum, I would guess(?). Plus, as nonresident aliens, such wives would have 30% of their SS benefits withheld for taxes(?).

And while you can have your SS check mailed to Thailand (bad alternative), direct deposit is still not yet an option here in Thailand (as of the latest SSA website update, July 2004). (Yet, if you live in such gardenspots as Haiti, you can......)

Ok, so it looks like I'll have to travel, at least the minimum distance to Hong Kong, to sign up for Social Security. I'll have my official 'raised seal' birth certificate with me, plus, as retired military, my DD 214. Do I need a Social Security card, or will anything official with my SS number on it do (like my military ID)? Certainly I'll discuss ahead of time with these folks what I'll need (including an appointment); but just trying here to preclude finding out I need something that requires a long lead time.

And will I have to go back to Hong Kong when I turn 65 to apply for Medicare B? (yeah, I know, Medicare doesn't extend to Thailand, but I do need to enroll to get Tricare in Thailand)

Thanks.

I am the manager of the US Social Security office on Saipan. I can help you file. Please send me a PM and I'll send you my work e-mail address. Do it quickly, as I will retire on March 31. We can do the whole thing by phone and mail if you like. No need to travel to Hong Kong.

You can do direct deposit. Open a Bangkok Bank account. The direct deposit will go to Bangkok Banks New York branch routiing number using your Thai account number. I've done this for several people and it works fine.

You will not need to sign up for Medicare at age 65. It will be automatic.

For your application we will need your US passport, your DD-214, and your birth certificate. We will not need your SS card. We can verify your SSN on line. You can take these documents to the Embassy and have them make certified copies which you can mail to us.

Or, if you prefer, you can do everything by mail with our office at the US Embassy in Manila. This is the "official" way to do it. If you like, I can give you the e-mail address of the claims supervisor there.

Up to you....

:o

You can do direct deposit. Open a Bangkok Bank account. The direct deposit will go to Bangkok Banks New York branch routiing number using your Thai account number. I've done this for several people and it works fine.

One issue to be concerned with when doing the Direct Deposit is that the Deposits are made in your account here at what ever branch location you select. You then must do your withdrawls from only that location. You cannot go to any other branch or get an ATM card for for the US SSA deposits account. It is a handicap if you live rural like I do and muct travel 28 km each way to do a withdrawl.

Good Luck and Welcome to Thailand

Or, if you prefer, you can do everything by mail with our office at the US Embassy in Manila. This is the "official" way to do it. If you like, I can give you the e-mail address of the claims supervisor there.
MG,

I'm curious. The SSA site had Manilla as the one place where the Embassy was not involved with SS; instead, a Veterans Organization was the surrogate for the SSA. But maybe they hang out at the Embassy...............? In any event, nice to know I can file via mail when the time comes, which is more than a year away. And yes, the email address there would be appreciated. (The SSA site does mention about using agents for dealing with them, so I guess this is a good example.)

You will not need to sign up for Medicare at age 65. It will be automatic.

I know Medicare "A" is automatic, but "B" is an election. Are you saying you can elect part "B" three years ahead of time, when you file for age 62 SS benefits? I know a couple of folks who didn't elect part "B" and are now trying to back peddle in order to be eligible for Tricare for Life. Or maybe both 'A' and 'B' are automatic at age 65 -- unless you opt out of 'B?'

I recall on another thread the discussion on using Bangkok Bank New York for direct deposits. But was the exchange rate question ever resolved? Seemed to me there was still a question that a SWIFT wire was still the better rate. Also, the question as to whether or not Immigration would consider this as applicable towards the "wired" money needed for annual 400/800k baht in your Thai account(?). In any event, I'll still have my US bank account for sometime to come, so direct deposit will not be a problem -- at this time.

Edited by JimGant

Approaching age 62, I just finished searching the SSA website for clues as to what I'll need to submit to start benefits -- and to whom and where. I had been under the impression I could do this at the US Embassy in Thailand. But according to the SSA website, I am wrong. Plus, the option to apply on-line and sign electronically is only available if you reside in the US.......

So, it looks like the closest place to file is at the US Consulate in Hong Kong (Korea and the Philippines would be the next closest). Has anyone been through this -- and if so, any recommendations/advice?

My Thai wife is a US citizen, with her own earned SS benefits, so she should have no problems. But I wonder what hurdles my friends with Thai wives who've never been out of Thailand will encounter iin order to get spousal benefits? Translated and certified birth and marriage certificates, at the minimum, I would guess(?). Plus, as nonresident aliens, such wives would have 30% of their SS benefits withheld for taxes(?).

And while you can have your SS check mailed to Thailand (bad alternative), direct deposit is still not yet an option here in Thailand (as of the latest SSA website update, July 2004). (Yet, if you live in such gardenspots as Haiti, you can......)

Ok, so it looks like I'll have to travel, at least the minimum distance to Hong Kong, to sign up for Social Security. I'll have my official 'raised seal' birth certificate with me, plus, as retired military, my DD 214. Do I need a Social Security card, or will anything official with my SS number on it do (like my military ID)? Certainly I'll discuss ahead of time with these folks what I'll need (including an appointment); but just trying here to preclude finding out I need something that requires a long lead time.

And will I have to go back to Hong Kong when I turn 65 to apply for Medicare B? (yeah, I know, Medicare doesn't extend to Thailand, but I do need to enroll to get Tricare in Thailand)

Thanks.

Jim you don't need to go anywhere, if your a vet contact the local VFW in your area the service officer should be able to answer all your questions. Here in Udon all the things that you speak of have been done by many of the vets in this area retired military or not. I don't know what area you are in, but there are four VFW Posts here that I know of and each has a service officer. Pattaya, Bangkok, Udon, and Korat

One issue to be concerned with when doing the Direct Deposit is that the Deposits are made in your account here at what ever branch location you select.  You then must do your withdrawls from only that location.  You cannot go to any other branch or get an ATM card for for the US SSA deposits account.  It is a handicap if you live rural like I do and muct travel 28 km each way to do a withdrawl.

Wash: Two questions:

1 - What sort of n exchange rate are you getting on your SSA direct deposits?

2 - What would happen if you open an account with an ATM card first and later have your checks deposited directly into that account? Would the bank revoke your ATM card?

I'm curious. The SSA site had Manilla as the one place where the Embassy was not involved with SS; instead, a Veterans Organization was the surrogate for the SSA. But maybe they hang out at the Embassy...............?

The office in Manila is actually part of the VA. The Manager is an SSA employee and the staff is all Filipino. They operate just as a regular SSA office, but some sort of agreement with the Philippines prevents SSA from actually running the office. It is located on Embassy grounds.

I know Medicare "A" is automatic, but "B" is an election. Are you saying you can elect part "B" three years ahead of time, when you file for age 62 SS benefits? I know a couple of folks who didn't elect part "B" and are now trying to back peddle in order to be eligible for Tricare for Life. Or maybe both 'A' and 'B' are automatic at age 65 -- unless you opt out of 'B?'

The latter is correct. You will get both Parts A and B at 65 unless you opt out of B. Of course, by the time you are age 65 there will be Part D, which is the prescription drug plan. No one knows what Part C is....:o

I hope someone who actually has SSA direct deposit to a Thai bank will tell us what sort of exchange rate they are getting.

Personally, I will have my pension deposited in a Bank of the Internet (US) account. I get 2.5% interest on checking with no fees, no charge for using other bank ATM's, free checks, free bill pay, etc. I will move money to a Thai bank account using Teller Point of Sale Transactions, as described elsewhere.

Jim,

Have you checked on the usefullness of Tricare for Life while living in Thailand? My cursory check of the system led me to the conclusion that I would rather opt out of Part B and use that money to pay for another health policy. If you know more about this, I'd be curious to hear it.

Have you checked on the usefullness of Tricare for Life while living in Thailand?  My cursory check of the system led me to the conclusion that I would rather opt out of Part B and use that money to pay for another health policy.  If you know more about this, I'd be curious to hear it.

One thing to consider about Medicare Part B is that if you opt out and later want back in your premiums will be increased by 10% each year you were out. Another thing is that most US based insurance plans require that you sign up for Part B when you're eligible for it. Maybe someone else can tell us if Tricare requires this.

Back to the original post. I thought I'd have to fly to the Philipines, but when I phoned them, they said no, and I picked up the entire SSA retirement application packet at the Consulate General in Chiang Mai. That's where I turned it in. Within 60 days, the case worker in Manila had completed her work (with one direct phone call to my mobile in Thailand) and now I'm waiting the 120 days for Baltimore to finalize it. If it isn't in my Atlanta mailbox when I land there on April 1, I'll call Baltimore tollfree. But I needn't go to USA, either.

I'm having the checks deposited directly to my US account.

>>>Have you checked on the usefullness of Tricare for Life while living in Thailand? My cursory check of the system led me to the conclusion that I would rather opt out of Part B and use that money to pay for another health policy. If you know more about this, I'd be curious to hear<<<

DC,

Great question, and one I really need to know more about. I guess in the back of my mind I'd wanted to be able to use Medicare should an elective procedure crop-up and I could return to the States. But this may be becoming moot, what with the quality of medical care in Thailand, particularly at the Western-oriented facilities.

At $66 per month per person, Part B will cost the wife and I about 5000 baht/mo. And this will cover only 75% of Tricare approved procedures. So, hopefully someone will pop in here who's run the numbers and tell us whether or not taking out a policy in Thailand makes sense.................?

>>I picked up the entire SSA retirement application packet at the Consulate General in Chiang Mai.<<

PB,

Great news! The SSA website leads one to believe that the State Dept would be of no use in Thailand. And since I live in CM, having the Consulate onboard is super. (Anyone/office in particular you dealt with on this?)

Another thing is that most US based insurance plans require that you sign up for Part B when you're eligible for it. Maybe someone else can tell us if Tricare requires this.

(Switched to IE and the quote button works, unlike with Firefox. A Java thing -- anyone else have this problem? (too lazy to start a new thread :o ))

Tricare does require this. But since so many did not have Part B when Tricare for Life was implemented, they had an open enrollment policy that officially ended Jan 1, 2005. And the surcharge for late sign-up was waived.

Post Jan 1, 2005, you can still sign up for Part B. And if otherwise Tricare eligible, it appears the late sign-up surcharge will still be waived (but for how much longer, it's not clear....)

See this for further info.

>>but there are four VFW Posts here that I know of and each has a service officer. Pattaya, Bangkok, Udon, and Korat<<

Ray,

Sounds like a VFW post in Chiang Mai would be nice. I saw on the Chiang Mai forum where someone was trying to build interest, but don't know where it went from there.

(Udorn, huh. Crawled back thru that gate many a time..... )

Back to the original post.  I thought I'd have to fly to the Philipines, but when I phoned them, they said no, and I picked up the entire SSA retirement application packet at the Consulate General in Chiang Mai.  That's where I turned it in.  Within 60 days, the case worker in Manila had completed her work (with one direct phone call to my mobile in Thailand) and now I'm waiting the 120 days for Baltimore to finalize it.  If it isn't in my Atlanta mailbox when I land there on April 1, I'll call Baltimore tollfree.  But I needn't go to USA, either. 

I'm having the checks deposited directly to my US account.

The problem with going through the State department and VARO in Manila is that it takes months for the processing to get done. If you go through my office the money can be in your bank three or four days after we receive the signed application and required documents. Of course, this is not the "official" way to do it, but it works....

However, once I retire (9 work days now), this option will be toast!

:o

Wash: Two questions:

1 - What sort of n exchange rate are you getting on your SSA direct deposits?

Exchange rate is about same as I get with Wells Fargo Account and does not seem to me to be out of line.

2 - What would happen if you open an account with an ATM card first and later have your checks deposited directly into that account? Would the bank revoke your ATM card?

I suspect they would open a new account for you because even the passbook for my account has words to indicate it as withdraw from only home bank.  I applied for this account in very small rural northeastern city and Bkk may be different.  I am not sure of the purpose of this requirement but suspect it is to prevent you withdrawing funds after your death.

I went to their web site and looked like you can apply right there. Could not complete yet (for wife) she turns 61 this year. Then we apply 2 months prior for the money.

I hope it goes well its not much for her's but in LOS even $400.00 is alot.

thanks

skycop :o

Thanks.

I went to their web site and looked like you can apply right there. Could not complete yet (for wife) she turns 61 this year. Then we apply 2 months prior for the money.

I hope it goes well its not much for her's but in LOS even $400.00 is alot.

Trouble is, they won't let you sign up on line if you have a non-US mailing address.

If you're going to apply through one of the foreign service posts or through VARO in Manila (by phone/mail) I would suggest giving it way more than two months.

The FSP's do not have the authority to finally approve your application and have to send it to the Office of International Operations in Baltimore. It takes those guys months and months to process foreign claims.

I hope that one day foreign applications will be accepted on line but I don't see that happening any time soon.

"The problem with going through the State department and VARO in Manila is that it takes months for the processing to get done."

. . . . . mgnewman

mgnewman is right on the money. Don't go through the State Department and Varo if you can find another way.

I foolishly applied for SS Retirement Benefits at the US Consulate in Laos, in June 2004, and am now still waiting even for a determination, let alone retirement benefits in the bank!!!!!!

My getting Social Security Retirement benefits was planned for and acted on as early as June, 2003 when I went to the US Consulate in Vientiane to pick up forms and explain that because I have no fixed address, being forced to move from country to country, I was planning on using them as a liaison with Social Security when I would file my Social Security application in 2004, using a mailing address in the States. I took these steps as early prudent measures to do what I could to prepare myself and the Consulate so as to avoid any inordinate delays which could easily cause severe hardship to my wife and me because of our very unusual living situation. But my prudent steps made no difference to Uncle Sam.

Instead of sending it on as was promised, my app sat on a desk at the Consulate for almost six weeks, i.e. until, worried that I had no receipt for my app, I emailed the Consul about its status, something that finally got him to play mailman. Then after he finally sent it, I waited a couple of months and wrote to VARO about its status and learned they had never received it. I ultimately was told that, despite having been sent in a registered diplomatic pouch, it was lost in transit. That my application never reached Social Security came to light only because I was the only one interested in checking on its status. No mail trace was initiated by the Consulate to find out where it went astray or to make accountable whoever failed to carry out his duty. (My government does not seem to take the processing of SS Retirement apps very seriously.)

I had to resubmit certified copies of the original app, again through the Consulate in Laos, which didn't reach Baltimore until October 29, 2004. I was stunned to learn that despite government lapses and screw-ups I was going to be penalized in that Baltimore would take until at least February 28, 2005 to try to get me a determination.

I then got a US Congressman involved, expecting he would get SS to speed things up and bring justice to the situation. I was dreaming. After five months he hasn't been able to get things moving and is supposedly still trying, but I guess SS simply won't jump for a Congress which has cut their funding.

My wife and I are in a desperate situation, and really need the bucks, -- benefits are owed from last October, as I turned 62 in September, but I have learned that the delay can go on indefinitely. Under the law there are no mandated time-frames to process an SS Retirement app.

It's an outrage. What to do? I have considered going to the news media but wonder if they would even care. I wish this were an April Fool's joke, but I assure you it is not.

Any helpful suggestions would be most appreciated.

Edited by hasoo

hasoo,

I'm sorry to read about your situation, but it is not unusual for international claims to be mishandled this way.

If you'd written a week earlier I might have been able to help you out. But, I retired yesterday and no longer have any official access.

Have you been in e-mail contact with VARO? They actually have some good people there.

If you PM me I'll give you the e-mail address of one of the supervisors there who may be able to help you out.

Mike

MG,

Will your replacement in Saipan be able to 'facilitate' SS filings?

Or, alternatively, can we in Thailand go direct to someone at VARO, with hopes of the turnaround time being greatly improved over using the US Consulate connection (which sounds more like a misconnection in some situations......)

JimGant: Please enlighten on what is "Tricare".

I opted out of Medicare B when I moved to Thailand as I felt my long stay plans in Thailand would be bettr served by poketing the money saved.

Likewise, I went self insured for health as Sun Alliance was quoting 12k baht a month for worldwide coverage, when I only needed Thai coverage. BUPA no good at my age.

In the last three years at 12k a month savings you can see how much I have in my health account. With most major surgeries or health issues topping out at 300K or so, I am happy with my decision. Insurance, is, after all, "fear" elimination fees. If your generally healthy and fortunate to have come from healthy "stock", self insurance is a real viable alternative.

Worst case scenario, kidney failure or other long term health care problem can be solved by return to the U.S. and using medicare hospitalization. Many doctors and hopitals have no problem hospitalizing you to save you money on outpatient care.

I would be interested in a clarification of the post about the 10% per year surcharge on enrolling in Plan B afer say ten years out of that option for someone who is out of the U.S. during the opt out period. Could their not be an exemption in that regard, seems absurd to surcharge a recipient who can't use the benefit due to expat status.

JimGant:  Please enlighten on what is "Tricare".

Tricare is the medical insurance program for retired US military whereby we get to pay for something that we were told was going to be free (my premium checks always say "for my FREE medical care" on the memo line). That little dig aside, there is also a program known as Tricare For Life for retirees which is combined with enrollment in Medicare B. I'm not totally sure of the ins and outs of that system because I still have a way to go before reaching that stage. But my initial take is that it is all worthless for someone planning on living in Thailand full time. So I'm guessing the money I would have spent on Part B will go towards a private policy once I make the move. If there are any glaring errors in this, please chime in.

MG,

Will your replacement in Saipan be able to 'facilitate' SS filings?

Or, alternatively, can we in Thailand go direct to someone at VARO, with hopes of the turnaround time being greatly improved over using the US Consulate connection (which sounds more like a misconnection in some situations......)

My replacement hasn't been named yet, so I can't tell what their policy will be.

You could certainly give it a shot. Go to the office web page I built to locate the e-mail address:

SSA Saipan Web Page

If it were me, I'd deal direct with VARO. That certainly limits the number of connections between you and Baltimore....

I would be interested in a clarification of the  post about the 10% per year surcharge on enrolling in Plan B afer say ten years out of that option for someone who is out of the U.S. during the opt out period. Could their not be an exemption in that regard, seems absurd to surcharge a recipient who can't use the benefit due to expat status.

Unfortunately, there is no exemption from the premium surcharge for people who are residing out of the US. The only exemption is for people who are enrolled in an employment-related group health insurance plan. (A retirement-related group health insurance plan doesn't count.)

So, if you were to continue working after age 65 and had health insurance at work, you wouldn't have to sign up for Part B until your work-related health insurance terminates.

The surcharge is 10% for each full year after age 65 that you are not enrolled for Part B.

Therefore, if you anticipate ever needing Part B you need to consider keeping it, even if you live abroad.

There is also a program known as Tricare For Life for retirees which is combined with enrollment in Medicare B. I'm not totally sure of the ins and outs of that system

TFL (Tricare For Life) was probably the neatest program ever passed for retired military and their dependents (fortunately, the bill came before Congress back when we were running a surplus). My Mom, before TFL, was paying several thousands per year for a Medicare supplemental plan. Now, with TFL, she hasn't paid a dime -- not even the Medicare deductible, which TFL picks up. And the filings are coordinated within the Medicare system, so the paperwork has been painless.

Having said that, things work differently under TFL in Thailand, since Medicare is not available. What happens is that TFL becomes, essentially, Tricare Standard (the military health plan for those not Medicare eligible). As such, there's a $150 deductible per year, and a 25% copay. I'm not completely sure of the mechanics, but I believe you pay up-front, then file a claim to a Tricare address in the States. How Tricare reacts to Thai paperwork describing procedures and costs, I don't know. (Anyone know?)

And you must be enrolled in Medicare Part B to be eligible for TFL, stateside or elsewhere.

So, I don't know if using the Medicare B savings (it goes to $89.20/mo in 2006) to pay for a Thailand health plan is prudent. Sounds like ProThai's experience indicates health premiums may not be such a bargain in Thailand for us old farts.

But his decision to opt out of Medicare B, and self-insure, sounds ok for his situation. However, for those of us eligible for TFL, it probably wouldn't make sense -- unless we could get an equivalent policy with the savings.

Plus, as I said somewhere else on this forum, having the option to return stateside for some procedures -- and having all costs covered under the Medicare/TFL umbrella -- is attractive.

There are enough retired US military over here, who have, I'm sure, run the numbers. Hopefully, we'll hear from one of them.

There is also a program known as Tricare For Life for retirees which is combined with enrollment in Medicare B. I'm not totally sure of the ins and outs of that system

TFL (Tricare For Life) was probably the neatest program ever passed for retired military and their dependents (fortunately, the bill came before Congress back when we were running a surplus). My Mom, before TFL, was paying several thousands per year for a Medicare supplemental plan. Now, with TFL, she hasn't paid a dime -- not even the Medicare deductible, which TFL picks up. And the filings are coordinated within the Medicare system, so the paperwork has been painless.

Having said that, things work differently under TFL in Thailand, since Medicare is not available. What happens is that TFL becomes, essentially, Tricare Standard (the military health plan for those not Medicare eligible). As such, there's a $150 deductible per year, and a 25% copay. I'm not completely sure of the mechanics, but I believe you pay up-front, then file a claim to a Tricare address in the States. How Tricare reacts to Thai paperwork describing procedures and costs, I don't know. (Anyone know?)

And you must be enrolled in Medicare Part B to be eligible for TFL, stateside or elsewhere.

So, I don't know if using the Medicare B savings (it goes to $89.20/mo in 2006) to pay for a Thailand health plan is prudent. Sounds like ProThai's experience indicates health premiums may not be such a bargain in Thailand for us old farts.

But his decision to opt out of Medicare B, and self-insure, sounds ok for his situation. However, for those of us eligible for TFL, it probably wouldn't make sense -- unless we could get an equivalent policy with the savings.

Plus, as I said somewhere else on this forum, having the option to return stateside for some procedures -- and having all costs covered under the Medicare/TFL umbrella -- is attractive.

There are enough retired US military over here, who have, I'm sure, run the numbers. Hopefully, we'll hear from one of them.

This certainly has been an interesting topic, makes me wonder what kind of a mess a guy would be in if he became disabled over here and put in for Social Security?

GimGant: Thanks for the Tricare info.

While I was ducking shells flying over head between Qumoy and Matsu during the Taiwan Straight"s "problem" in the late fifties, the "Cold War GI Bill passed three days after my education finished.

I am retired Navy, but only after five years of service, as I was in school when Marines started "aggressive patrols" in Vietnam and having been privy to the contigency plans for tht country, I resigned my reserve commission. forthwith. The Navy's practice is to re-call reservest with the lowest grade and with the most recent expereience in theatre, that was me in spades.

Many "weekend warriors" are leaning that hard lesson in Iraq as I speak. I don't even qualify for the VFW, even though I not only dodged overhead shells while on a destroyer, but dodged rifle fire on sub-rosa work in Japan.

Edited by ProThaiExpat