And Now More Scamming Gets Legalized !

LivinLOS

I have been sort of ranting in the jetski threads how the people who run Patong see the fleecing of tourists as the right of the locals.. How all the cliques goes far beyond one or two bad apples and how the entire system backs up the scammers. Its seen as fair to do what they like to tourists.

Some people may be familiar with the gogo tout thugs.. This bunch of drug dealing slime balls physically threaten gogo owners into allowing them to continue their scam.. They have shot a gun into spicy, they sent a death wreath to a gogo owners family I know, they have vandalized his car (he has resisted them in 2 of his gogos) and generally act above the law.

In case anyone doesnt know what they do is entice people into a gogo and then that persons drink is 500 baht on top of the drink price.. If they take a crowd of 4 or 5 they pull a few 1000 out of the scam and the tourist gets clipped.. Same as any clip joint worldwide. Its a pure scam and it operates only on tourist ignorance that they are being targeted. If they resist paying the touts are quick to attack and back this up with violence also.

They are allowed to operate with impunity as they pay the police, per tout.. As you can see this is a lucrative scam.. If they manage a few people a night its a few 1000 baht nightly stolen in this con and they can afford to pay upstream to their police handlers.

Now as of last night they have been issued vests like licensed motorcy taxis and carry laminated 'bar representative cards' !! This is some kind of attempt to put a legitimate face on what is essentially a total scam.. Whats next ?? Legitimate licensed lady boy pick pockets ??

The governor is making all kinds of noises about stamping out the scams and bad apples.. As tho its one or two bad people among the 'normal population' yet while he does this the police are laughing at him with their little army of thug touts each out there every night ripping off the tourists providing no service whatsoever and demanding money with menaces, and now they have a uniform (so the police can see whose paying their fees) !!

The whole thing is laughably disgusting !!

At least they are recognisable now.

I think we're onto something here. Let's just concede to the fact that scamming is a BIG part of Thai life and it's never going away. So instead of trying to stop it, we'll get all rip-off artists to wear a badge or ID card stating something like, "Certified and Government Approved Scammer". They can have visible ID numbers and when we get scammed by someone who did a really good job of it or was especially nice, we can recommend them to our firends and relatives when they want to get scammed.

OK? Problem solved! Next.

Play them at their own game. I can make up some badges for various foreign TV companies that we can all wear, such as 'BBC TV corruption investigation program' (might have to write that in Thai for them ...)

Or just wear a badge that says '<deleted> off scammer!!' - And wear a crash helmet and padding....

Simon

There are many many scams, We all know Thailand is Corrupt , And so Does the Thai government officials.I know a few Thai people good and honest who try to earn a living from honest work, Like a few street vender's who sell food to Tourist and Thais. I have seen police move them on (the vendor) because they will not give the police money to stay in the area which is a good spot to sell there goods,(food).So its not just falang who are getting problems with kickbacks to the police.Its coming out more because of forums like this, People talk to each other, The sites can be access from all over the world so news travels fast and wide, I don't think that its getting any worse just more common knowledge about the Corruption , Where would you start to clean it up , if you could.The only way to stop it is not to go to Thailand, Then you are not part of it, Thats why they have jumped on the jet ski owner , it was seen on Thai TV, My wife said "why he do", because Thailand will suffer , so at least some Thais know that it will affect the Tourist Industry,

I got scammed last year on the bangla in the bar with the freezer in it. The scam went someting like this you go in get a beer and if you fancy it go through into the freezer and get a shot. Cant exactly remember the price but its around 250 baht if there is a member of staff in with you which there must be to give you the shot, he or she has 1 as well so your paying for there shot as well. When later on if you go back and youv'e had a few beers 2 maybe 3 are in there with you, and you guessed it your hit with a bar bill of 2-3 thousand baht once you and your mates have paid your bar bill and the staffs freebie.

It is quite perverse to somehow legalise the touts when the bars that they 'represent' actually have illegal activities taking place on their premises.

But of course, payment to the police effectively legitimises illegalities anyway and that's obviously where a high proportion of the scam money goes. In fact I wonder whether the touts are purely salaried representatives of a higher body as the number seems to increase every time I go to Bangla. If it was purely a commission payment, the original touts would surely have resisted the amount of competition.

Have they finished the filming of the Big Trouble in Tourit Thailand programmes? This would be an interesting one to expose.

It is quite perverse to somehow legalise the touts when the bars that they 'represent' actually have illegal activities taking place on their premises.

But of course, payment to the police effectively legitimises illegalities anyway and that's obviously where a high proportion of the scam money goes. In fact I wonder whether the touts are purely salaried representatives of a higher body as the number seems to increase every time I go to Bangla. If it was purely a commission payment, the original touts would surely have resisted the amount of competition.

Have they finished the filming of the Big Trouble in Tourit Thailand programmes? This would be an interesting one to expose.

They are not salaried.. They are purely preying on tourists bill padding..

Then the police started demanding protection money to let them operate... Once they paid that then they can act like thugs, beat up any farang that argues his 500 baht beer, they also have some hand in dealing yaba to the gogo girls in seadragon, lean on the gogo owners etc.. The payment to the police gives them the right to act up and miss behave, and its become very profitable padding peoples bins, so profit brings more touts, who pay more police protection, hence are encouraged by the police and the soi owner and hated by the gogo owners.

In the last few months their numbers have gone from a few annoyances at the end of seadragon to covering all of bangla.. pushing ppeople into Pirate bar and others and demanding their 'finders fee'..

They are not salaried.. They are purely preying on tourists bill padding..

Then the police started demanding protection money to let them operate... Once they paid that then they can act like thugs, beat up any farang that argues his 500 baht beer, they also have some hand in dealing yaba to the gogo girls in seadragon, lean on the gogo owners etc.. The payment to the police gives them the right to act up and miss behave, and its become very profitable padding peoples bins, so profit brings more touts, who pay more police protection, hence are encouraged by the police and the soi owner and hated by the gogo owners.

In the last few months their numbers have gone from a few annoyances at the end of seadragon to covering all of bangla.. pushing ppeople into Pirate bar and others and demanding their 'finders fee'..

There is only one way to handle the touts. When ever my mates and I go to Suzy Wongs (the only good Go-Go left in Patong) these f....ing parasites always follow us. We just keep repeating "No" and "Mai ow" and if they are still around when we get to the door, we wait out front until they piss off. They have been known to sneak in behind the unsuspecting tourist(s) and claim they brought them in. The tourist then gets the 500% inflated bill without knowing it, then when it's time to pay, refuses, and then the trouble starts as the touts expect the go-go's to pay them their finders fee. Not to mention the "show" that was promised never happens.

I just find it perverse in the extreme that while the PR is about wanting to protect Phukets image.. The reality is the people that run the town really dont give a hoot about stealing and set in place actual uniforms to the thieves.

Its just total 2 faced attitude.

There is only one way to handle the touts. When ever my mates and I go to Suzy Wongs (the only good Go-Go left in Patong) these f....ing parasites always follow us. We just keep repeating "No" and "Mai ow" and if they are still around when we get to the door, we wait out front until they piss off. They have been known to sneak in behind the unsuspecting tourist(s) and claim they brought them in. The tourist then gets the 500% inflated bill without knowing it, then when it's time to pay, refuses, and then the trouble starts as the touts expect the go-go's to pay them their finders fee. Not to mention the "show" that was promised never happens.

I didn't think that Suzys participated in the tout scheme.

The concept of these touts following unknowing people into the bars is the worst element of this scam. It happened to me once (saw the price list and walked out) and it won't happen again. But unsuspecting tourists are going to be ripped of time and time again.

The only people to benefit from the scam are of course the touts themselves and their 'protectors'. The bars will lose trade, both repeat custom and from word of mouth. The tourists are out of pocket.

I would guess it is only a matter of time before there is a major violent incident involving these touts. The Spicy shooting only got minor press coverage (probably internet only).

I would guess it is only a matter of time before there is a major violent incident involving these touts. The Spicy shooting only got minor press coverage (probably internet only).

Of course it did.. Because the police came and told them dont speak to anyone !!

<deleted> they shot a gogo girl in that.. Then calmly sat down and waited for the cops.

:)

Wooow.... all you people complaining about this that and everything else in T/land...YOU are visiters to this country, you have no say in what goes on here,ok.Accept this...not whimper,whimper forever..

You can talk till you're blue in the face..nought will change, but you all can make a difference..easy!

If you dont like it here and can't take the good with the bad [you all LOVE the good things here!] get the next flight back to where you come from...It really is all you have to do...

There is an old saying along the lines of..If there is a problem ..FIX IT

If you cannot fix it ...FORGET IT!!

Get a grip on yourselves and enjoy what the huge amount of good stuff T/land has to offer.

Better still p-ss off back'ome for a reality check and see how really bad things are in your own backyard but once there put your great forum skills to work and change things there, where you DO have a say.

No takers..?? not surprised at all..lol :D

Wooow.... all you people complaining about this that and everything else in T/land...YOU are visiters to this country, you have no say in what goes on here,ok.Accept this...not whimper,whimper forever..

You can talk till you're blue in the face..nought will change, but you all can make a difference..easy!

If you dont like it here and can't take the good with the bad [you all LOVE the good things here!] get the next flight back to where you come from...It really is all you have to do...

Get a grip on yourselves and enjoy what the huge amount of good stuff T/land has to offer.

Better still p-ss off back'ome for a reality check and see how really bad things are in your own backyard but once there put your great forum skills to work and change things there, where you DO have a say.

Oh for goodness' sake. Another Polyanna.

P-ss of back home ?? Fresh of the plane are we ??

I have lived here longer than I have lived any single place on earth. Wheres home ?? Was born in one country, moved to another while a toddler.. To a 3rd when about 4 (where my passport is from) and since being 16 have lived all over mainland europe, a stint stateside, some time in north Africa.. So please tell me.. Where am I booking this ticket to again ??

When you live here long enough, have a wife here, pay your taxes here, run businesses here, etc etc you are not 'a visitor'.. Thailand IS home.

I think HOPALONG is either a bar owner, a jet ski opp, or a memer of the police. Whoever he is he is not on the same planet as me. Obviousely Thai comeing out with that drivel havn't we heared these words before ( if you dont like it go back to where you come from) if i had my way hopalong i wish everyone would f... off so you could get back to what you did before tourism and you were all living in bamboo houses. fishing and collecting bufaloe shit. Shame the thai seems have forgotton how much the west helped them after the tsunami. Wonder where they'd be now without it. Let me give you a word of advice hopalong Do not bite the hand that feeds you steal from him rip him off or scam him once you understand these rules feel free to post.

Troll. Not worth a response. (well, except this one: :D )

Actually, I will respond to one point. Information is power, and there are instances where threads on ThaiVisa get mentioned in other news sources, and sometimes change does eventually happen. You can go on burying your head in the sand and getting ripped off and scammed if you want. Your position is the one expats have been using for years to rationalize their exploitative behaviors and general lack of concern and I don't give a shit attitude, just like most Thia's have about corruption and extortion in their country. Well some of us give a shit.

Edited by Scubabuddha

Mitch, have you read any of the above posts mate? I wasn't blaming Suzy's. They participate because they have no choice. IE: they are not willing participants. Believe me I have seen it first hand. If they don't participate they get bullets coming through the front door like at Spicy. As was mentioned earlier and in many other threats, the touts don't work for the clubs, they are thier own entity, now licensed, and the club owners don't like them.

Is a scam a scam if it is evident? Are these tourists really that unsuspecting? I think if you did a random stop and question of 10 tourists on Bangla, and asked if they were aware of the touts, scams, tricks & pickpockets, the answer in all cases would be yes. I used to be one of the people that felt for the "victims" on Bangla, but those people are there to take advantage of the Bangla scene. These men that go to the go-go's are doing so because they think it's a great idea to go drool at impoverished women shaking their titties for a couple pound/euro/dollars. Sorry, I just can't feel bad for them. Back home they would pay 5-10X as much. After you factor in all the little surcharges and hidden costs, it comes out as a same-same deal, so are they really getting ripped off?

ok, so there are are drug dealers and crime syndicates running the operations. Yes. That's the nature of the business. That's what the scene is worldwide. Why is Thailand held to a different standard? When you go into one of these clubs elsewhere you are most likely patronizing organized crime operations. If you don't like that, then do not do it.

Oh sure, I can see people saying but they added on xxx baht. Look a it a different way. If you were somewhere else, you would be paying a steep entry fee, the drinks would be significantly more expensive and if you didn't tip you would get pounded. Part of that reason is due to things like taxes and overhead costs. In Thailand, the tax collection to pay for policing works differently. It's a user pay service if you will. Overhead is paid for differently. The Thai approach might actually be more efficient as there is less bureaucracy attached to the collection of the extra fees so costs are actually kept lower. Look at these customers. Take a really good look at them. Would you want them in your own home? Would you let them near your family acting like they do? I don't think so. So consider the added costs as additional fees to handle misbehaving gimps

Is a scam a scam if it is evident? Are these tourists really that unsuspecting? I think if you did a random stop and question of 10 tourists on Bangla, and asked if they were aware of the touts, scams, tricks & pickpockets, the answer in all cases would be yes. I used to be one of the people that felt for the "victims" on Bangla, but those people are there to take advantage of the Bangla scene. These men that go to the go-go's are doing so because they think it's a great idea to go drool at impoverished women shaking their titties for a couple pound/euro/dollars. Sorry, I just can't feel bad for them. Back home they would pay 5-10X as much. After you factor in all the little surcharges and hidden costs, it comes out as a same-same deal, so are they really getting ripped off?

ok, so there are are drug dealers and crime syndicates running the operations. Yes. That's the nature of the business. That's what the scene is worldwide. Why is Thailand held to a different standard? When you go into one of these clubs elsewhere you are most likely patronizing organized crime operations. If you don't like that, then do not do it.

Oh sure, I can see people saying but they added on xxx baht. Look a it a different way. If you were somewhere else, you would be paying a steep entry fee, the drinks would be significantly more expensive and if you didn't tip you would get pounded. Part of that reason is due to things like taxes and overhead costs. In Thailand, the tax collection to pay for policing works differently. It's a user pay service if you will. Overhead is paid for differently. The Thai approach might actually be more efficient as there is less bureaucracy attached to the collection of the extra fees so costs are actually kept lower. Look at these customers. Take a really good look at them. Would you want them in your own home? Would you let them near your family acting like they do? I don't think so. So consider the added costs as additional fees to handle misbehaving gimps

:):D:D

Well spoken and absolutely correct ..

Im going to Thailand for the first time and I didnt know about these scams. Neighter did I know about the jet ski scams. Im scandinavian, and here we have heard nothing about it. Thanks to this forum I now know, and will be aware of it.

The problem with the post above is that "everywhere else" you know what to pay. In Phuket you dont. I for sure gonne ask again and again and see the drink meny before I buy anything.

There are many nice places in this world, so if I get scammed this will be my last visit to thailand.

Mitch, have you read any of the above posts mate? I wasn't blaming Suzy's. They participate because they have no choice. IE: they are not willing participants. Believe me I have seen it first hand. If they don't participate they get bullets coming through the front door like at Spicy. As was mentioned earlier and in many other threats, the touts don't work for the clubs, they are thier own entity, now licensed, and the club owners don't like them.

I believe that at one time they and the sister bar refused to pay the touts. I assume that has now changed following the physical damage and threats mentioned on here and other threads. I am fully aware of the system. I've never looked over my shoulder going in there before (NB I am only an occasional visitor) but now I will heed the warning.