Plans To Promote Reading Among Thais

george

Plans to promote reading among Thais

BANGKOK: -- In a bid to promote reading habits, the Education Ministry is planning to offer tax benefits for people who like reading and book donors.

Education Minister Jurin Laksanawisit said yesterday that a committee was studying tax measures to see how they can encourage Thais to read more.

"Perhaps, we should offer tax refunds when people present receipts of previous book purchases," he said. "We could also offer tax deductions to private firms if they donate books."

According to Jurin, the committee is expected to present a proposal to the Reading Promotion Committee (RPC) on October 1. "We will then refer the proposal to the Cabinet." Jurin was speaking after a meeting with the RPC.

The committee has set several goals that it hopes to achieve by 2012, including getting Thais to read at least 10 books instead of just five per year.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-09-17

Thailand to be the world hub of reading.

How much budget will they allot to it and how much goes where and to whom?

They can already read the denominations on bank notes, though i admit they are colour coded

What about Math? Even after my many times to and living in Thailand. To see a young thai person behind a counter that can't do basic mental math, but has to get out the calculator to work a couple of minor figures. Not good or am I expecting too much?

What about Math? Even after my many times to and living in Thailand. To see a young thai person behind a counter that can't do basic mental math, but has to get out the calculator to work a couple of minor figures. Not good or am I expecting too much?

Yes !! you are expecting way too much. You have been involved with TV for long enough that you know that you can teach a monkey to do tricks but you can't get one to read, write and do maths :)

Yes !! you are expecting way too much. You have been involved with TV for long enough that you know that you can teach a monkey to do tricks but you can't get one to read, write and do maths :)

Well we're all monkeys are we not?

And it is a great idea.

It will of course never work, as nothing has here unless properly overseen. Like the absurd notion of trying to register mobile phones which fell flat on its face.

It is too soon to poo-poo though, lets support it first.

Talking about maths.

I recall umpteen years ago in Woolworths,

My purchase was five 1/- chocolate bars.

The girl wrote down 1.0 five times and added it up...........<deleted>

No calculators those days.

Loved my ready reckoner tho'.

Reading is basic communication, should have high priority, any country.

five per year?? I know students who read more than five Doraemon books or other cartoon books, problem is they don't progess to more relevant reading.

Thats a good point. I have seen people who seemed to be in their 30's reading the Thai comics, and my step-daughter had cases o the dam_n things sipped to USA because she couldn't bear to be parted from them. She was 28 at the time.

Is this a Thai thing or a generally Asian thing? I stopped reading the Beano when I was 9.

five per year?? I know students who read more than five Doraemon books or other cartoon books, problem is they don't progess to more relevant reading.

Thats a good point. I have seen people who seemed to be in their 30's reading the Thai comics, and my step-daughter had cases o the dam_n things sipped to USA because she couldn't bear to be parted from them. She was 28 at the time.

Is this a Thai thing or a generally Asian thing? I stopped reading the Beano when I was 9.

Does watching cartoons like Family Guy, American Dad or the Simpsons count ??.....if it does then I am scr*wed... :)