Remote Desktop Connection

maikee

Hi All,

I'm on IPSTAR with a 192.168.x.x IP. I'd like to be able to access my computer here when I am on the road via a Remote Desktop Connection (Or some other means). Is that possible without involving IPSTAR? Maybe a stupid question... don't know, but be kind if it is :o

192.168.xxx.xxx are generally local network addresses.. Knowing the IPStar boxes of the past its almost certainly still a a router and Sat modem, in as much as it has an internal NAT setup..

Try going to 'whatismyip.com' or another service that shows your IP from outside your own network.. Then try pinging that IP and see if your machine responds.

Problem may be there depending on if all ports are forwarded inside the IPStar box (mine were for IPStar but were not for my ADSL modem... They refused to give me the password to the cisco ADSL modem TOT provided so I just installed a keylogger and let the technician check it :o ).. I cant remember which ports RDC uses but I am sure you could get a list easily with a bit of searching..

If you can ping your box from a machine outside of your network and the ports are correctly set up in any router NATs you should be OK and have no need for help from IPStar.

mayb a little off topic but i always wondered whats the time to access the gateway when using these satelite based connections.

you can ping the gateway to check the response time.

does it get slower on rainy/cloudy days?

how much do they charge?

ok enuff now...im gonna mail them....

Charges have dropped.. I took IPStar about 3 or 4 years back when it was the only broadband solution.. couple of months when I didnt watch my bandwidth I spent more than 15k (soon learnt not to do that) even a baseline 256/128 with 3GB per month was 5k...

I think prices have come down somewhat but they still have a monopoly on 'country' installations and the bandwidth charges can be a PITA..

Ping times were usually in the 500 - 700 range.. forget net gaming and VoIP had a little 'sat lag' but not too much to be unusable, just took a bit of getting used to.

livinlos thanks for clearing the pint time thing...

one of my main concern is for VOIP....so now i can rule out IPSTAR...

gotta keep on pressin the local TOT guys to offer broadband in my office, located in songkhla province....