Tiger Temple Rip Off

whippet

my husband has been a staunch supporter of the tigertemple for over 14 years, usually we spend time there every year, last year we were unable to travel because of illness,this yearwe turned up as usual , as life long financial supporters of the sanctuary we had free entry at any time , not any more :) 500 baht entrance fee plus 1000 baht to be photographed with the tigers also our usual booked and paid for accomodation wasover booked and the rooms we were offered were 1500baht a night dearer and were crap ,the so gentle abbott was not so mee and mild when he was told would not be back and that our money would go to some other reputable wildlife charity, be warned folks, its a huge ripoff!!

After I read many negative about the mentionned TIGER TEMPLE as at

http://www.wspa-international.org/whoarewe...e_thailand.aspx

and search in GOOGLE "cruelty at Tiger Temple" thousands links appear as

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_Temple

I had force me to visit only for my kids during holidays. Disappointed no words.

RIP OFF seen be a compensation of low tourists. Philisophie, less tourist, must increase price or find a fake way. E.g. Visit the Temple on the Hill of Phetchaburi I go each time with my friends visit me in Thailand. But 2 month ago, last time. Before you pay cable car and facultativ entry for Museum, walking in the garden free. Now they let you pay cable care and you not walk more 10 meter and you are forced pay entry 150 THB for temple which I have seen over 15 times. If you not agree pay for Museum, you can return back with next cable car. I could write down a long liste of such unpleasant tourist rip off, but maybe the answer come after last tourist have visit any attraction.

The first time my wife and I visited the Tiger Temple, a while back now,we had a good, cheap experience. The last time, Thai families were turning away, being asked to pay 500 Baht each person. Up from, if I remember, 50 - 120 Baht. If it was not a rip-off, they obviously could not afford or thought the entrance fee was not value for money. Even though we could not believe the huge hike in the price we did enter and immediately realized why this had happened. Young do-gooder charity type farangs everywhere. These people have muscled in on the operation and, I believe, forced the Abbot to raise the prices. It is a rip-off, BIG TIME.

You will be told that it is for the welfare of the tigers. Very expensive to keep etc.. They will also indicate that money is required to build new enclosures - the farang do-gooders that is. That will turn the place into a zoo by any other name. A zoo without the diverse animal attractions.

What with the exhorbinant entrance fee, charging 1000 Baht for photos and expensive 'tiger tooth' trinkets, the tiger experience has gone.

Another example of 'Farangs know best' bulls_it.

The first time my wife and I visited the Tiger Temple, a while back now,we had a good, cheap experience. The last time, Thai families were turning away, being asked to pay 500 Baht each person. Up from, if I remember, 50 - 120 Baht. If it was not a rip-off, they obviously could not afford or thought the entrance fee was not value for money. Even though we could not believe the huge hike in the price we did enter and immediately realized why this had happened. Young do-gooder charity type farangs everywhere. These people have muscled in on the operation and, I believe, forced the Abbot to raise the prices. It is a rip-off, BIG TIME.

You will be told that it is for the welfare of the tigers. Very expensive to keep etc.. They will also indicate that money is required to build new enclosures - the farang do-gooders that is. That will turn the place into a zoo by any other name. A zoo without the diverse animal attractions.

What with the exhorbinant entrance fee, charging 1000 Baht for photos and expensive 'tiger tooth' trinkets, the tiger experience has gone.

Very strange comments. Wild, irrational and baseless speculation...

NGO operatives will appear soon, no doubt, on $1,000 a day consultancy fees!!!

To jasreeve17.

Firstly, I thought it was against the TV rules to change someones post in any way.

1. There WERE young do-gooder farangs working everywhere. Must be charity people as they would not have been allowed to work there.

2. They, HAVE, muscled in on the op.. They are there. In my opinion, they more than likely influenced the Abbot.

3. Those were the statements given to us by the farang workers.

4. As the experience has changed out of all recognition, leaving visitors unhappy. the last of your red highlighs speaks for itself

Have you, jasreeve17, visited this establishment with an agenda just to enjoy, more than one time?? Can you compare??

I think it is the 'do-gooder' expression you do not like; but that would be based on wild, irrational and baseless speculation on my behalf.

Ohh come on people..!!! How cheap are you guys, 1000 baht for an experience like this. Tell me where else in the world can you do similar for that price? Try going to one of the theme parks in Australia, it will cost you about 3500baht for a photo with a tiger, not to mention the 1800 baht just to get through the front gate.

Curious as to just how much life long financial support you give. Some of the better hotels in the country have been over booked occassionally. Get over it, have a gigle and put it down to the experience.

Wow you had to pay a 1000baht, what a HUGE ripoff..!!!!

You are probably the same farang who haggle a poor stall owner over the price of a banana...

:) for the cheap charlies...

Very strange comments. Wild, irrational and baseless speculation...

I totally agree with this. The first time I went it was donation only, its was a temple and grounds and a few animals and the tigers. The only people there were monks and thai helpers. Several years later I return and its was totally different, entrance fees, landscaped tiger cages. The monks and their thai helpers were still there but the place was run by many american helpers calling out the rules. There were extra fees for photos with the tigers. It had changed from a santuary for displaced tigers to a commercial operation, next it will be a theme park. With rumor of tiger smuggling from neigbouring countries.

Edited by waza

To jasreeve17.

Firstly, I thought it was against the TV rules to change someones post in any way.

1. There WERE young do-gooder farangs working everywhere. Must be charity people as they would not have been allowed to work there.

2. They, HAVE, muscled in on the op.. They are there. In my opinion, they more than likely influenced the Abbot.

3. Those were the statements given to us by the farang workers.

4. As the experience has changed out of all recognition, leaving visitors unhappy. the last of your red highlighs speaks for itself

Have you, jasreeve17, visited this establishment with an agenda just to enjoy, more than one time?? Can you compare??

I think it is the 'do-gooder' expression you do not like; but that would be based on wild, irrational and baseless speculation on my behalf.

The 'Do Gooders' as you refer to them, may actually be volunteers that have paid a vast amount of money to have the priveledge of working there and have no input whatesoever on the pricing structure the Temple has decided to raise.

A couple of you making comments that American 'do-gooders' have infiltrated or 'muscled in' on the temple and 'forced the abbot to raise the prices', even suggestions (from Waza) that these foreign devils are 'calling out the rules' and perhaps behind 'rumor of tiger smuggling from neigbouring countries' are laughable, as well as pure speculation.

This is Thailand and the Thais control the temple, for better or worse.

The 'do-gooders' will be paying to work at the tiger temple, not running the place...

Edited by jasreeve17

Jasreeve17, you are getting yourself into knots without reading the posts properly. You are EITHER one of these do-gooders OR you have never been to the sactuary. The simple matter is, the Tiger Temple is NOW a rip-off, whereby once it was not. The only visible difference between then and now is the influx of farang do-gooders. An observation jasreeve17!

Jasreeve17, you are getting yourself into knots without reading the posts properly. You are EITHER one of these do-gooders OR you have never been to the sactuary. The simple matter is, the Tiger Temple is NOW a rip-off, whereby once it was not. The only visible difference between then and now is the influx of farang do-gooders. An observation jasreeve17!

It may well be a rip off whereby once it was not, but this has nothing to do with your 'farang do-gooders' who are just paying adventure tourists... as I keep repeating; your wild speculation is laughable.

For example, even though I often stay in the same hotel (as a paying guest) in Kanchanaburi, if the prices increase and the quality of the establishment goes down then it's not my fault... It's down to the owners and managers; in a Thai temple this will not be 'farang do-gooders'... stop digging your hole...

Hi Folks,

Much better go to the 'Safari Park, Bo Phloi, Kanchanaburi' "The only place in the world where you can hug and take a picture with Giraffes"

Safari Park Kanchanburi

50 to 100 baht for a photo with a Tiger.

They also shows etc., so take the whole family there.

'2long' posted some videos

Thaivisa - Giraffes-Car by 2long

Thank you '2long' :D

Yours truly,

Kan Win :)

Edited by Kan Win

Once this was a temple, a Wat. A place of worship, study and a retreat for the monks. It was supported by the local community. Then in 1999, the temple received the first tiger cub, it had been found by villagers and died soon after. The story goes that several tiger cubs were later given to the temple over time, typically when the mothers had been killed by poachers. The cost of caring for these Tigers was too much for the temple and community to bare so tourist were encouraged tp come and donate. Then others became involved. Today it is a business and that business is to make money.

Care for the Wild International (CWI) published a report in June 2008 that claimed the tigers at the temple are not rescued wild tigers, but are obtained by illegally trading with black market tiger farms. They say the real purpose is making money, not helping tigers. The groups also criticize the Tiger Temple for interbreeding different subspecies of tigers, which they say violates conservation principles.

The reality is its a ripoff, it rips off the do gooder, who are really doing bad. It rips off Thai culture and budist beliefs and it rips off tourist.

We live in Kan and share Thai peoples' view that this is an aggressive marketing business rather than a temple. Of course, if they promote themselves honestly as a zoo they lose the marketing mystique of 'tiger temple'. The much-promised improvements to the tigers environment have been years coming, so where is all the money going? A local friend (who I trust) was recently disputing the 500B entry fee for his 3 month old baby on a family trip when he witnessed the abbott driving a brand new red plate Mercedes and wearing a business suit. They are now running morning sessions, bathe the cubs, feed the monks (hows that for marketing! There is such a thing as a free lunch!) for just under 5000B per person. They may have started out with sincerity - we visited in the early days - but now its a monster. I could go on, better not. Keep an open mind....

Went 7 or 8 years ago when it was donation-only - 40 baht for me, nowt for the missus. Photo with tiger free, along with cuddling gibbons and following other animals around. Really good experience but is clearly a total rip today. In fact a sign should go up in Swampy next to the 'DO NOT HIRE JET-SKI' and 'DO NOT TELL YOUR WIFE WHAT YOU'RE REALLY WORTH'.

That one has the choice to walk away is not the issue and is as lame a retort as the 'go back home if you don't like it' line.

The Tiger Farm at Mae Rim is about the same price. Although a better deal is the restaurant which is free to enter and over looks some of the tiger cages, and the food is regular priced.

Interestingly there is a gradation of prices to enter the cages with the youngest tigers the most expensive. As they get older and more dangerous it gets cheaper to get in the cage with them! :)

There its explicitly a breeding program to feed tigers to zoos, which I have no problem with, as the more tigers in the world the better the world is for having more of these amazing animals.

There are young foreigners working there as well, although I didn't ask if they were paid or paid to be there

Before I sign off. Individual farangs do not just find places such as this willy nilly. There is a company of such, that must have been set up to bring these people over, and yes they are paying for the privilege. It is this [lets call it a company for the want of a better term]company overseeing the do-gooders that I am refering to. To have to explain that is beyond words.

Before I sign off. Individual farangs do not just find places such as this willy nilly. There is a company of such, that must have been set up to bring these people over, and yes they are paying for the privilege. It is this [lets call it a company for the want of a better term]company overseeing the do-gooders that I am refering to. To have to explain that is beyond words.

Then please don't try and explain.

The tiger temple has being covered on tv before, Don't go there if you love animals.

What planet you from Johnsnort..??? The tiger temple has set up a company just to import people to work in their temple. Yeah right.. Google Volunteer Abroad, my guess is you will get around 1,000,000 results, tiger temple will probably be one of them. I'm guessing you haven't done too much travelling in your time.

You do-gooder you..

Care for the Wild International (CWI) published a report in June 2008 that claimed the tigers at the temple are not rescued wild tigers, but are obtained by illegally trading with black market tiger farms. They say the real purpose is making money, not helping tigers. The groups also criticize the Tiger Temple for interbreeding different subspecies of tigers, which they say violates conservation principles.

The reality is its a ripoff, it rips off the do gooder, who are really doing bad. It rips off Thai culture and budist beliefs and it rips off tourist.

CWI are a suspect organisation themselves. They collect loads of money, much of it through local school fundraisers, but don't actually do a lot in the way of conservation. Much of the causes on their web page are run by other charities with no apparent reciprocal arrangement. And quite how one sponsors a wild animal is never explained.

As for their report on the tiger temple, I suspect much of it is either fictitious or has fallen into their hands from concerned tourists so they have run with it as an easy target. I don't know what evidence they have for interbreeding other than the fact that there is a Bengal tiger living on the facility.

I also looked up their head office on google maps. It's a large farmhouse with a pool in Sussex.

Whatever the reality behind the temple, I believe tht CWI are not to be trusted with your cash. They seem to be one of those charities that take out more than they put in and use emotive publicity to enrich themselves at the expense of the wildlife they claim to protect.

The first time I went to the tiger temple about six years ago I loved it went back to it about two years ago and hated it it had changed from being a temple to a businness I with never ever go back again 1st time there maybe only 20 people there 2nd time about 200 people prices had sky rocketed tigers still in very small cages :) I would not recommend visiting the temple to anyone :D

Ohh come on people..!!! How cheap are you guys, 1000 baht for an experience like this. Tell me where else in the world can you do similar for that price? Try going to one of the theme parks in Australia, it will cost you about 3500baht for a photo with a tiger, not to mention the 1800 baht just to get through the front gate.

Curious as to just how much life long financial support you give. Some of the better hotels in the country have been over booked occassionally. Get over it, have a gigle and put it down to the experience.

You are probably the same farang who haggle a poor stall owner over the price of a banana...

It just shows how much you attention you pay to previous threads or comments, my husband and other zooligical colleagues have invested lots of free time and money donated by visitors to our zoo,s and workplaces in europe, and to be ripped off and not allowed our normal access to see what improvements had been made since our last visit was out of order, how can you compare the tiger temple to an australian theme park, the temple is supposed to be a registered charity, Not like Crikeyville in Beerwah or the cuddle a Koala shop at lone pine who arestate supported businesses not private as the public are led to beleive,it was my husband who officially trained the first zoo keepers ffor Steve Irwin at australia zoo,There has only ever been one world recognised and acclaimed animal sanctuary in Brisbane, That was Gondwana Wild life and Rainforest sanctuary, that was sadly closed down when it was deemed to be to much of a threat to other parks in the area :D Wife of nignoy

:D It's not my intention to approach to close to you but I think call us "cheap Charlies" is little bid beside the shoes?

How you can compare prices in Thailand with Australia? and if you want, do same with income :D !!! There are not only Farangs but domestic people to which have to afford a nice amount to see less then they expect. I was few times in the Temple (1 time by couriosity and rest by force to show my guest this place). Go China and you can get pictures too with Tiger under narcotics!!! See clear please :D and be sincere, why you life in Thailand? One fact is certain the price level?

Edited by thaibear1