Sukhumvit Areas

I'm looking for comments on the area rather than specific property recomendations. For example, in another thread I read that Ekamai is very bad for evening rush hour traffic. That kind of thing.

BTW, When you say Sukhumvit Suites are "hot" do you mean good or do you mean the air-con don't work?!

I'm looking for comments on the area rather than specific property recomendations.  For example, in another thread I read that Ekamai is very bad for evening rush hour traffic.  That kind of thing. 

BTW, When you say Sukhumvit Suites are "hot" do you mean good or do you mean the air-con don't work?!

It better work if they charge that much :o

For somewhere to live, personally I would give the Suk Soi 1 to Asoke section a wide berth. All tourists and touts, meat market at night, very trashy all round. No problem getting there if you want some beers in that area but why live there? I can only assume that most people who live there have not tried living outside the tourist ghettos or are complete nightlife addicts.

Phrompong area is much better, if you have cash much better for shopping, restaurants and a much better atmosphere and living environment.

If you want somewhere quieter and a bit more suburban, Thonglor is best - worth taking a bit of time to get to know though. Personally I think the middle part of Thonglor is nicer than the part nearest Sukhumvit Road.

Don't think Ekamai has any advantages over Thonglor unless you are low budget as regards rent (by that I mean less than 10K). Thonglor has loads of nice small restaurants and shops plus a couple of decent supermarkets. Evening traffic is horrendous on Ekamai, but Thonglor is pretty good traffic wise by BKK standards. To get from Sukhumvit end of Thonglor to the other end at Petchaburi Road at 6 pm takes 10 mins, 15 at the most. As for Ekamai, from one end to the other at that time you're probably looking at 45 mins!

Edited by charles

Good info Charles and PvtDick. I had planned to give Soi 1 to Nana a wide berth, but perhaps I should extend that to Asok too. Thonglor definitely appeals from what I have seen, but I figured the popularity of the area with Japanese may have driven prices up. I don't know, just guessing.

Actually, soi 1 is not so bad as is soi 2. Even in the sois up to Asoke there are many good spots. Often a bit deeper into the sois and you might be surprised with the quality available.

Agree with Thonglor as a good area to live. Personally also I like sois 16, 18 and 20.

The even side at Suk between 8 and 14 is also good. Problem here is the traffic flow in 1 direction only and no U turn...

Edited by Elysium

...BTW, When you say Sukhumvit Suites are "hot" do you mean good or do you mean the air-con don't work?!

:o:D:D Yes, I mean they don't aircon the ground floor, the lifts, or the 14th floor (where the apartments start) until you get to the apartment reception/security room, which is usually like a fridge. Then it's hot again in the other lift to the apartments AND all the internal corridors have no access to the outside air - all the corridors and at room doors. I've been in much cheaper apartments :D where the end of the corridors is the outside wall and has an open window - what a novel idea! Fresh air!

But Sukhumvit suites did install a fan at the 14th floor lift so instead of sweating while waiting for the incredibly slow lifts (another problem, by the way), you can get a breeze on your head, provided the guy at the security desk by the lifts has turned it on. When I was there, I was forever pointing at the stationary fan and telling the guy to turn it on :D .

OK, so it's hot, has only 2 lifts, which are also very slow (and hot), and has no fresh air in the internal corridors.

On the other hand, you are within walking distance of everything from Ploenchit (soi zero, soi Nana) through to Ben Jasiri Park, the Emporium and Villa supermarket. :D

I'd personally avoid sois 14, 12, 10, and 8 like the plague -- for the traffic problem cited above. You simply can't get there from the North without a long detour around Sirikit Center. When an event is being held (like today), it can be murder.

Thonglor is nice, BUT few bars to have a drink if you are not Japanese. Witches is very noisy and Local Pub opposite Near Soi 9 is nice, good people, not much action, but that's it. ( If you are in 30-50 age)Some nearby places have signs "Japanese Only"...apartheid revisited... With a family it is pleasant though especially if your family is Japanese..

I'd personally avoid sois 14, 12, 10, and 8 like the plague -- for the traffic problem cited above.  You simply can't get there from the North without a long detour around Sirikit Center.  When an event is being held (like today), it can be murder.

I would agree with that 100% and also add Soi 6 for good measure - although you have little bit flexibility, it still sucks in the rush hour as people use it as a 'short-cut' through the tobacco factory. I used to have an apt in Soi 6 and moved out as soon as I could over to the other side of Sukhumvit. Soi's 11,13,15 are much better in terms of access if you want to be in lower Sukhumvit (as I needed to be to be able to walk to my office).

Good Sois - odd side from 25 to 55 (except 33), even side from 16 to 38 (except 22).

Best odd soi goes to 31 - wide road, centre of sukhumvit, no vice, back lane access to 55 and beyond, on the one side, and soi 21 (Asok) on the other.

Best even soi goes to 38 - quiet, easy access, good food at night, back lane access to Rama IV. Soi 16 and 20 are good too.

Just my 2 satang.