6 Foreigners Arrested In Online Investment Scam

webfact

6 foreigners arrested in online investment scam

Crime Suppression Division police have arrested four Britons, a Filipino woman and a French man for having allegedly deceiving foreign investors to buy stocks online and cheated them.

Pol Maj Gen Panya Mamen, deputy Central Investigation Bureau commissioner, said the six foreigners were arrested at a house on Soi Thonglor while deceiving foreigners to invest in stock markets through Internet.

Police seized seven desktop computers, six notebook computers and 31 mobile phones from the house.

Information from the seized computers showed that they had deceived the investors to invest over Bt100 million in fake firms.

The foreigners claimed that they were hired by a man identified only as Paul for Bt30,000 to Bt50,000 a month to make phone calls.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/09/19

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crime Suppression Division police have arrested four Britons, a Filipino woman and a French man for having allegedly deceiving foreign investors to buy stocks online and cheated them.

Great one.

Foreigners can't cheat foreigners in Thailand. :)

.....they had deceived the investors to invest over Bt100 million in fake firms...

Anyone who invests in a company without checking that it exists, deserves to be parted from their money. :)

Bit harsh, sometimes people make poor rash decisions without first checking the facts, but hardly deserving of being scammed from their hard earned money

Pol Maj Gen Panya Mamen, deputy Central Investigation Bureau commissioner, said the six foreigners were arrested at a house on Soi Thonglor while deceiving foreigners to invest in stock markets through Internet.

Police seized seven desktop computers, six notebook computers and 31 mobile phones from the house.

Information from the seized computers showed that they had deceived the investors to invest over Bt100 million in fake firms.

The foreigners claimed that they were hired by a man identified only as Paul for Bt30,000 to Bt50,000 a month to make phone calls.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/09/19

Cant wait for the photos and news reports of all the back slapping police chiefs lined up behind a table of 6 nervous looking farangs, as they claim to be cleaning up the image of dodgy businesses in LOS, as the hunt goes on for 'Paul' :)

.....they had deceived the investors to invest over Bt100 million in fake firms...

Anyone who invests in a company without checking that it exists, deserves to be parted from their money. :)

Bit harsh, sometimes people make poor rash decisions without first checking the facts, but hardly deserving of being scammed from their hard earned money

A FOOL AND HIS MONEY ARE EASILY PARTED --- NUF SAID

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/09/19

Interesting that they call it an online scam. The foreigners were paid to make phone calls rather than type emails. Sounds like another typical boiler room to me. Maybe they were using Skype to make the calls. I guess then it would be online.

Oh, a skin rash decision. We don't want people to do those... :D

Seriously, not too smart to invest in non existing companies cause some stranger called you and told you to do so.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/09/19

Cant wait for the photos and news reports of all the back slapping police chiefs lined up behind a table of 6 nervous looking farangs, as they claim to be cleaning up the image of dodgy businesses in LOS, as the hunt goes on for 'Paul' :)

Might be quite nice of the BiB were so assiduous and efficient in picking up Thais who cheat foreigners.

Sorry, I don't know what I could have been thinking, saying that... :D

The most disgusting part of all of this, is that this guy wasn't operating alone. Obviously those staff members were not going after Thais. The question remains where did they get the phone numbers from?

They weren't just randomly dialing hoping to get a farang on the line. They were probably sold a list of phone numbers from someone.

Last year I was getting a lot of phonecalls from investment companies. I'm fairly certain the only organization that had my number was my bank. The purple one.

I hope someone would run down this side of the equation, but I really doubt it will ever happen.

Edited by skettios

Thanks for this story. I've been looking for investments and I'll stay away from these local deals. As soon as I get that really big deposit from that nice Nigerian guy, I am going to invest some of it!

Sorry Scott I am first in line for that deposit... poor guy had his family shot so he can give me millions!!!! :)

WHAT a Super destination, take a holiday snap, get arrested - give people money, lose it in a Thai style Nigerian SCAM,.

Get blown to pieces in southern Thailand. Get delayed by yellow/red shirt activities.

Don't hire a jet Ski. Get ripped off at Thailand's main airport on arrival or when you have had enough.

Malaysia is a lot more honest.

The most disgusting part of all of this, is that this guy wasn't operating alone. Obviously those staff members were not going after Thais. The question remains where did they get the phone numbers from?

They weren't just randomly dialing hoping to get a farang on the line. They were probably sold a list of phone numbers from someone.

Last year I was getting a lot of phonecalls from investment companies. I'm fairly certain the only organization that had my number was my bank. The purple one.

I hope someone would run down this side of the equation, but I really doubt it will ever happen.

You may note that many advertisments that appear in your browser are uncannily relevant to your emails. Nearly every free "whatever" that you sign up to online requires a phone number...Why?...Because those phone numbers are sold on.

I periodically open a new email account with yahoo in order to sign up to some websites, using a fake but believable phone number. Of course, you get all the scam emails, but you don't get the phone calls.