Do You Dream Of Corn Beef Hash?

Ulysses G.

Many of us know Gypsy at the Rose Guest House and what a good cook he is. He is famous for his breakfasts and "the 2nd best pizzas in town".

He has a new menu coming out soon and he sent me an e-mail with a few of the new items. As far as I know, he is the fiirst restaurant in town to use corn beef, instead of Pastarmi for Rueben sandwiches.

coming soon to rose guesthouse

with our new menu..............

ruben - sandwich

the american style

corned beef on ryebread

sauerkraut and melted cheese out of the oven

corned beef hash

adding to our breakfast selections

corned beef fried with potatoes

topped with eggs

served with brown toast - jam and marmalade

coffee or tea of course

be hungry for all of that.................

Many of us know Gypsy at the Rose Guest House and what a good cook he is. He is famous for his breakfasts and "the 2nd best pizzas in town".

He has a new menu coming out soon and he sent me an e-mail with a few of the new items. As far as I know, he is the fiirst restaurant in town to use corn beef, instead of Pastarmi for Rueben sandwiches.

coming soon to rose guesthouse

with our new menu..............

[/color]

ruben - sandwich

the american style

corned beef on ryebread

exact location , pls.....

sauerkraut and melted cheese out of the oven

corned beef hash

adding to our breakfast selections

corned beef fried with potatoes

topped with eggs

served with brown toast - jam and marmalade

coffee or tea of course

be hungry for all of that.................

exact location , pls.....

Edited by miatai

I don't know how to make a map thingie, but, if you are where Moon Muang Road intersects with Rachamanka Road (there is a giant Gecko Books sign at the mouth of Rachamanka), you would have to walk against traffic for one complete block and look for the Rose Guest House at the first major intersection near where The Wok restaurant used to be.

Getting good corned beef in LOS used to be a problem......used to be that you could sometimes find the argentine tinned kind that is soo processed, but now we have a locally made by Gunter @ G&M meats, excellent!!

I actually made some my self out of the local tough beef and it was ok, but a lot of work and had to wait 2 weeks for it to process in the ref.

I think that because of all the interest lately that all of a sudden everyone is making it, it is very easy. I actually think that pastrami is a better product and TGM makes a great pastrami. Buonissimo makes a really good bacon, by the way.

I don't dream of food. I eat too well at home.

Last night we dined on salmon, tuna, shrimp, tossed salad from the garden, and home made sourdough bread that I make.

Ian_with_Tuna_Em.jpg

Seafood_meal_Em.jpg

When I'm in Thailand I eat the simple meals of rice, pork or chicken, an egg and some veggies.

corn beef hash? is that the crumbly meat substitute that comes in the

spam-shaped cans, although not quite as delicious as spam?

yeah, the stuff they mix in the rehydrated dehydrated eggs at truckstop diners?

if so, no i don't dream of corn beef hash.

but spam? oh, yeah, who doesn't dream of spam!

Lemme put it this way,

I've dreamt about corn (something)

and beef (something)

and even had some hash flashbacks,

but never corned beef hash.

BTW, I have never eaten corned beef hash in my life. Hash reminds me of spam. However, I like corned beef and the reuben sounds good!

The first time I tried American buffalo chicken wings was in Thailand, so never say never ...

I don't dream of food. I eat too well at home.

Last night we dined on salmon, tuna, shrimp, tossed salad from the garden, and home made sourdough bread that I make.

Ian_with_Tuna_Em.jpg

Seafood_meal_Em.jpg

When I'm in Thailand I eat the simple meals of rice, pork or chicken, an egg and some veggies.

Ian, I am not sure why you even come to CM "other I guess than to get your fish fresh off the bone & still wriggling and with that still alive fragrance exclusive to that found in the realm"

Extra crispy fried, with some ketchup and Tabasco.

Spam, great stuff. Cargo Cult worship; on the side 2 thick slices well browned, as well.

And some of Ian Forbe's tuna, fileted perfectly into sashimi, with real mountain root wasabe and shoyu.

Some Korean soju to wash it all down....

:)

Ian, I am not sure why you even come to CM "other I guess than to get your fish fresh off the bone & still wriggling and with that still alive fragrance exclusive to that found in the realm"

This is just one reason why I spend the winter in Thailand...

Ian_in_ice_Em.jpg

I prefer this...

Railey_Beach_6.sized.jpg

I HATE Spam in each and every regard and corned beef hash is nothing like it. Also, it does not come in a can - although sometimes corned beef does.

When cooked correctly, corn beef hash is wonderful stuff indeed.

General....being that you hail from one of our ex lesser colonies.I should point out that what I think you refer to as Corned Beef ,would be ,to an Englishman, pickled beef or perhaps Pastrami.

To us corned beef comes in a can and is I guess a mashed beef concoction...Frey Bentos comes to mind.So our version of a corned beef hash would be cubes of corned beef,potatoes and onions and fried all together,served with a goodly dollop of HP sauce.

And SPAM instead of the corned beef does make a tasty meal....As a kid during the 2nd world war, tins of Spam, kept us going,thanks to our USA friends and their food parcels.

Yup, you can buy corned beef in a can, same with corned beef hash, roast beef hash, tuna, spaghetti and others, it doesn't mean it will be as good as freshly made but it is what it is.

I went there today to try it out. It wasn't on the menu but there was a card on the table saying they had the corned beef hash and also reubin sandwiches. I order and Gypsy, the owner comes over and tells me they aren't selling it yet (I didn't notice the card said "coming soon") but that they would make it for me since they took my order already. He said it will not be on the menu for a while yet, they are still working on the new menu and once that is ready it will make its debut.

It is excellent, and it is not from a can. It was a real treat for me, I am a huge corned beef hash fan. The meal is 150baht with toast, juice, 2 coffees and a plate of hash with 2 eggs on top.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I was having some dreams 'bout corned beef hash for awhile..I'm now back in the world of Krazy..the Excited States for a visit w/ my kids and grandkids for turkey day coming up...

First caught the swine flu on arrival and have been sick for the first 12 days I have been here, hassled by US Customs/Immigration wanting to know on why and how I was living in Thailand ( after explaining to the stupid idiots, they became nice) and some of the first things I wanted was a good 'ol Merican burger/fries and some corned beef hash.

Found the hash at a place called "Mimi's Cafe" and if you know the valley of the scum it's at 75th Ave and W. Bell Rd.... first thing was a small plate that cost 9 dollars! it was good though with some splashes of Tabasco and alittle ketchup. Crispy fried on the outside. It was good, but not good enough to be worth 9 bucks!!!

Had the hamburger w/ fries...actually a Western bacon cheesburger at Carls Jr. 10 bucks!!

And it was nasty...

I miss my home bad and counting the next 3 weeks before I can return. I do not think I will be back anytime soon..

(I did have some of the best mexican food in the world topped off with 2 ice cold Tecate's, I have to admit that I have missed that and was willing to pay for it, which I did..)

Sounds as though Gypsy came through his surgery well and is doing fine, thats good to know.

Oh well.. kit tung Thailand mak mak loy

Home soon.