Thai-english Dictionary By George Bradley Mcfarland

desi

Does anyone have access to the Thai-English dic by McFarland?

I know it's old, but it's still good.

It has a list at the back - '1000 common words'.

I was able to get the top 600, so I'm about 3 pages short.

If you do have it, could you please scan or take a photo of those last 3 pages?

What I am doing is compiling the vocab from all of the top Thai courses out there, throwing them into a spreadsheet, then I'll see what floats to the top. About 15 courses have been included, and I'm just about done (I still need to dress up four - put the English next to the Thai script).

I just found out about McFarland's list late last night. And while it is an old book, I'd still like to include his list.

Thanks in advance.

What I am doing is compiling the vocab from all of the top Thai courses out there, throwing them into a spreadsheet, then I'll see what floats to the top. About 15 courses have been included, and I'm just about done (I still need to dress up four - put the English next to the Thai script).

I just found out about McFarland's list late last night. And while it is an old book, I'd still like to include his list.

Thanks in advance.

Desi, I just photocopied the list for you (thanks, I had no idea about this - also scary how many words are in there I don't know!) - what I have to figure out now is how to get it into electronic format - if an ordinary digital camera will give good enough resolution, then I can send it to you tonight (book's at work, camera's at home...).

Desi, I just photocopied the list for you (thanks, I had no idea about this - also scary how many words are in there I don't know!) - what I have to figure out now is how to get it into electronic format - if an ordinary digital camera will give good enough resolution, then I can send it to you tonight (book's at work, camera's at home...).

Excellent! Digital cameras are very good for taking photos of this nature. I often drag out my camera when I need a copy of paperwork as it can be quicker than using my scanner.

From what I've read, some of the words on Mcfarland's list are misspelled and some are old-fashioned. But I still see the value of including his list amongst the top 1000 Thai words spreadsheet.

Btw - there are more than a few courses including crazy words for new learners. Some have me laughing, some have me shaking my head in disbelief.

Thank you so much for this. I'm hoping to put the complete list on the wiki so everyone can see for themselves.

Thanks in advance.

I have the book and would be happy to scan the pages for you. Are they pages 5, 6, and 7 from the most frequent list? I suspect that the list might have changed since 1944, however.

Edited by DavidHouston

I have the book and would be happy to scan the pages for you. Are they pages 5, 6, and 7 from the most frequent list? I suspect that the list might have changed since 1944, however.

Thanks for sending them over David :-)