Living In A Village - Was It Tolerable For You?

Lopburi99

I'm beginning to think the handwriting is on the wall. We've been in a rural village near Sao Kaeo for about two months and I'm not sure I can adapt.

The most difficult is the early morning noise starting at 6am or earlier (like blasting one hour public announcements, music, ceremonial flute music/chanting, food vendors, you name it) which prevents me from getting a decent sleep and puts me right off in a lousy mood each day. This morning some nearby farmer is burning something and I can't sit outside because of the smoke. Man oh Man.

The wife won't be happy to hear this, especially since her family also lives here in the village (an additional difficulty), but I am thinking life in a quiet, clean high-rise in Jomtien or Pattaya may be a necessity for me. I also really miss the western food and English speaking businesses but that is a different matter.

Has anybody successfully adapted to village life like this? I need to hear a success story.

I live in a remote village in Surin forty minutes from the nearest cheese (at Big C).

It's been so intolerable that I've been forced to write a book about it. And currently a blog.

All is there revealed.

You just have to go with the flow!

Andrew Hicks

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP (and others with village llife): have you read Andrew Hicks' book "My Thai Girl and I"? That might answer some questions and add a different perspective. Not sure how things have worked out for him though.

Totally agree with all who suggest the importance of a hobby or set of hobbies to pass the time and expand the social network.

Best of luck.

TN

[This is the penalty for rushing to answer the OP and then afterwards to scan down the other replies!]

Thanks TaoNow for mentioning "My Thai Girl and I"!

The theme of the book is upbeat and that you have to go with the flow and not swim against the current (ie the puyai bahns tannoy at five in the morning, the fact that nothing works and the unreasonable expectations of your Thai family). However, it does try to express the frustrations of living in the village, I hope not too negatively but drawing our the humour of the Isaan expat predicament.

Some of the posts above mention getting a hobby (macrame, origami for example?) but mine has been writing about the Thai countryside, both in the book and on my Blogspot which is really a continuation of the story of my 'Thai girl' and me.

On the last page of the book I ask myself if I'm going to get a bit bored living in the village now the book's finished, and yes, I think the novelty's ust about wearing off!

Cat and I have just been in the village for two months and so I'm writing this from our comfortable studio apartment on soi 97 in Bangkok!

Choke dee to all expat farang villagers eveywhere!

Andrew Hicks.

Thanks for the replies. The idea of frequent travel makes sense as a first step. I am stuck here for awhile anyway until I pay off our land (sigh) next spring. After that building a new home was the plan, but that probably won't happen. I don't mind buying the land, my wife will have that forever after I croak.

In the meanwhile I'll also adjust my schedule to getting up earlier, once the noise starts. Can't sleep after that anyway. Shower up and go somewhere for breakfast. Also, try to find a hobby or something to do so I don't go nuts from the boredom.

There are other problems too. The wife being joined at the hip with her mother, following each other from room to room like little puppies, is cramping my style too. They adore each other. Before coming here we only saw Yai once about every month or two, now it's for hours daily. That's not working.

I have always believed swimming against the current never works for long. Eventually the current wins. Living here in the village will probably will turn out not to be feasible, so I'll start looking into my options. Nothing is going to change in the village, and I probably can't change much either.

The ideal solution: Split my time between living in a nice quiet apartment, probably a hi-rise in Jomtien, and several months a year in my native Canada (hopefully not alone). Canadian summers can't be beat. But unfortunately I think this is beyond my means but I'll still check it out. In the meanwhile, I'd better start preparing my wife for changes. Surely she senses problems now anyway.

Can't you just sit down and talk to her? :)

I enjoy going to the wife's village for a max. stay of 3-days, it takes me about another 3-days to recover from all the hard drinking,strange food and barnyard sounds.... those bloody chickens drive me crazy!!. People here work hard and play hard and are very kind and hospitable ,I admire them for their uncorrupted down to the earth living arrangements....BUT, absolutely not for me for long term, I suppose if I had to, I would adapt to it at some point but without it feeling like a prison sentence.

:) I have been following this thred for a while although not reading every single post because it is so large. I caught the disease about 10 years ago and came down with the Thai wife and child. I was working in Thailand at the time. My wife as fate would have it is from a small remote khmeer speaking rice farming village in Buri Ram. When I first went to the village in 2000 I don't think anyone there had ever seen a Farang before. I loved it it was like being in my very own private National Geographic. sleeping under the mosquito net,rain on the tin roof, smoke from the charcoal cooking pot. learning to use the squat toilet and the bucket shower.

The string tying ceremonies, big party for the whole village.

My wife became pregnant almost immediately after we were together. Like some other posts I read my future was uncertain and I decided to build the obligatory house so that the wife and child would at least have a decent home to live in. Now almost ten years later it seemed like a good idea at the time. The first year wasn't too bad I only spent a few weeks a year there and when we did I was busy with trips to town to buy materials and overseeing the construction of the house. I was based in Hua Hin at the time.

It didn't take too long for the charm to wear off. For every bite of food I put in my mouth there had to be ten more for everyone else. For every beer I drank there was ten more for everyone else, and so on. The idea that no matter what calmity or expense befell the family my wife and I would pay for it. Her sisters decided lets have a few more babies now that we have a rich farang in the family. Mortgage the house and land no problem. Out of my 7 years in Thailand I probably spent a year in the Village,the longest stretch being a couple of months.

Two years ago I had come to the end of my career in Thailand. Unfavorable exchane rates ,inflation,no opportunity new Visa regulations, changing attitudes and education concerns for our daughter. I have no ill feelings for Thailand. It was just time for us to go. My wife had been wanting to go to America two years before that as my job had ended and we were sinking fast. I just wasn't ready to go I was still clinging to the dream. The dream of Thailand. It wasn't till after the Hurricane(Katrina) I was gone for 8 months started making money applied for my wifes Visa did I realize the only thing I really missed about Thailand was my wife and daugther. When I came back to wait for the visa the spell was completely broken. All of the things I used to be able to overlook bugged the crap out of me.

Now my wife and I both have good jobs, Our daughter is in the gifted class at the school here. I was able to add on to my house.

I still eat Thai food nearly every night. It is still hot most of year (S. Louisiana) rains like monsoon

LL

:) I have been following this thred for a while although not reading every single post because it is so large. I caught the disease about 10 years ago and came down with the Thai wife and child. I was working in Thailand at the time. My wife as fate would have it is from a small remote khmeer speaking rice farming village in Buri Ram. When I first went to the village in 2000 I don't think anyone there had ever seen a Farang before. I loved it it was like being in my very own private National Geographic. sleeping under the mosquito net,rain on the tin roof, smoke from the charcoal cooking pot. learning to use the squat toilet and the bucket shower.

The string tying ceremonies, big party for the whole village.

My wife became pregnant almost immediately after we were together. Like some other posts I read my future was uncertain and I decided to build the obligatory house so that the wife and child would at least have a decent home to live in. Now almost ten years later it seemed like a good idea at the time. The first year wasn't too bad I only spent a few weeks a year there and when we did I was busy with trips to town to buy materials and overseeing the construction of the house. I was based in Hua Hin at the time.

It didn't take too long for the charm to wear off. For every bite of food I put in my mouth there had to be ten more for everyone else. For every beer I drank there was ten more for everyone else, and so on. The idea that no matter what calmity or expense befell the family my wife and I would pay for it. Her sisters decided lets have a few more babies now that we have a rich farang in the family. Mortgage the house and land no problem. Out of my 7 years in Thailand I probably spent a year in the Village,the longest stretch being a couple of months.

Two years ago I had come to the end of my career in Thailand. Unfavorable exchane rates ,inflation,no opportunity new Visa regulations, changing attitudes and education concerns for our daughter. I have no ill feelings for Thailand. It was just time for us to go. My wife had been wanting to go to America two years before that as my job had ended and we were sinking fast. I just wasn't ready to go I was still clinging to the dream. The dream of Thailand. It wasn't till after the Hurricane(Katrina) I was gone for 8 months started making money applied for my wifes Visa did I realize the only thing I really missed about Thailand was my wife and daugther. When I came back to wait for the visa the spell was completely broken. All of the things I used to be able to overlook bugged the crap out of me.

Now my wife and I both have good jobs, Our daughter is in the gifted class at the school here. I was able to add on to my house.

I still eat Thai food nearly every night. It is still hot most of year (S. Louisiana) rains like monsoon

LL

Yes indeed, been there,done that. Met my wife 40 years ago when I was in the Air Force, we always dreamed about returning and living in her village in retirement. For all of the above reasons we are returning Home and yes the wife now considers the US her home. we only plan to return on yearly visits.

Like the previous poster, this thread is too big to read every page, but very interesting for me, as I'm intending to live in my GF's village near Lamphun. I am going to grow vegetables to reduce the budget, which will qualify as a "hobby", I hope.

If I might, I have a couple of questions about village life.

As I'm a very private person, I'm not intending to become "involved" in village life, and I certainly can't afford to provide anything for anyone other than my GF and myself. Is this a recipie for disaster?

Unfortunately, the previous suggestions of splitting time between village and elsewhere are not financially possible for me.

As I'm a very private person, I'm not intending to become "involved" in village life, and I certainly can't afford to provide anything for anyone other than my GF and myself. Is this a recipie for disaster?

You will have no choice but be involved in the village dramas, gossip, weddings, funerals, noise, property intrusions, etc. In fact it is fair to say you will have little privacy at all. Between your vision of what you want, your apparent financial situation and their expectations of you ... you've got some prime ingredients in a recipe for disaster.

If you're planning on making the big jump, you should read this whole thread, there is some great advice on here! (one of the most productive threads on TV perhaps?)

It seems that there are 2 ways to go about it, you can involve yourself in the lives of those around you (Thai style), or seclude yourself. If you're choosing the latter, make sure to set your boundaries early, you'll want a large fence around your yard, some guard dogs, and clear limitations on the family visits. (one poster outlined a situation like this in one of the earlier pages)

That seems a little extreme to me, but if you really value your privacy, that is one way to do it! I hope you are able to live an almost solitary life, as that's what it seems you will get. I know that the "caring and sharing" aspect of Thai familial life can get a little extreme, but I think you'll be much happier if you try to integrate a bit. It seems to help those who have written their success stories here. Good Luck!

Like the previous poster, this thread is too big to read every page, but very interesting for me, as I'm intending to live in my GF's village near Lamphun. I am going to grow vegetables to reduce the budget, which will qualify as a "hobby", I hope.

Unfortunately, the previous suggestions of splitting time between village and elsewhere are not financially possible for me.

I think the question is where do you/have you lived before? Myself 60 at the end of the year was born on a farm in the middle of no where, the only time since then I have lived in a City was 4year in Berlin, and 6 months in Pinklao waiting for the house to be built in 2003/4.... I have lived in many Countries but always in the sticks or small Village, so for me living in a City would/does drive me crazy..

As for ' I am going to grow vegetables to reduce the budget, which will qualify as a "hobby", I hope.' OK I would say think of it as a hobby to grow your own will cost more than buying from the local Market.. Things that cost 50 baht in a City Market or Supermarket will cost maybe 5 or 8 baht at your local market. or maybe try to grow things that you cannot find easy here

Thanks for the replies to my question ( sorry OP ). However, if that is indeed the way it is, perhaps we might need to move to my own country a lot sooner than I intended. Pity, as I was looking forward to doing some gardening.

What about the needs of your GF? What would she like to do? How would she feel about adapting to life in your home country? Also, if your funds are limited in Thailand I would hope you would have more available back home as life there would undoubtedly be considerably more expensive.

I think the question is where do you/have you lived before? Myself 60 at the end of the year was born on a farm in the middle of no where, the only time since then I have lived in a City was 4year in Berlin, and 6 months in Pinklao waiting for the house to be built in 2003/4.... I have lived in many Countries but always in the sticks or small Village, so for me living in a City would/does drive me crazy..

As for ' I am going to grow vegetables to reduce the budget, which will qualify as a "hobby", I hope.' OK I would say think of it as a hobby to grow your own will cost more than buying from the local Market.. Things that cost 50 baht in a City Market or Supermarket will cost maybe 5 or 8 baht at your local market. or maybe try to grow things that you cannot find easy here

Have lived on farms middle of nowhere, and loved it. It's not the isolation that is a problem ( and not bothered if no other farangs around- I'm really not a social animal ), but the apparent expectation that my wallet is always open to extended family etc. Not sure I would be able to handle the noise that other posters have remarked on either.

No desire to associate with anyone else, but not expecting same of my GF.

Yes, I realise that almost any food can be bought cheaply from farmers markets, but have always loved eating my own produce. Anyway, the universal advice on village survival is to have a hobby.

Talking about the "pillow"? :D

Yesterday while my wife and I were visiting the MIL. I was relaxing on the couch as usual while she yapped with Yai. After noticing she was talking non-stop for almost an hour, I finally asked her what is she talking about. She said "pillow. We talk about pillow." Huh? As I usually do when I know I will get nowhere in a conversation, I just let it go.

Later that evening I asked her why she was talking about a pillow? She said "I tell Yai pillow is a promlem". This time I persevered. I picked up a pillow and said "Why is this a problem?" She said, "No, no, pillow there!" and pointed out the window toward the loud speaker down the road.

I said "Pillow?" She said "Yes!"

I said "Sweetie, that's a 'speaker', not a pillow!" She said, "OH I solly! I make mistake. I think name 'pillow'! I confoose!"

We laughed and laughed! It's an ongoing joke now. This morning she said, "Oh Dalling, Pillow loud again!"

:):D

Amazing Thailand!

Edited by Lopburi99

It will only be a disaster if your GF does not understand your wants and desires so make sure you are both in agreement.

Thanks for the replies to my question ( sorry OP ). However, if that is indeed the way it is, perhaps we might need to move to my own country a lot sooner than I intended. Pity, as I was looking forward to doing some gardening.

What about the needs of your GF? What would she like to do? How would she feel about adapting to life in your home country? Also, if your funds are limited in Thailand I would hope you would have more available back home as life there would undoubtedly be considerably more expensive.

She has already agreed to move to my country, and I would never have commited to her if she did not want to. As one who has "served society" for the past 40 years ( and lost everything to the ex from hel_l ), I am not financial enough to pay indefinitely for health insurance at my age in Thailand ( previously researched on Thaivisa ), and purely for that reason must return to my land of "free health care". Were I wealthy enough, nothing would make me leave Thailand, as I have loved it more than any other country I have lived in. All this has been discussed with her in exhaustive detail ( but of course reality may change her ideas ). As for my finances, between my NHS super ( a huge £3,000 a year, not ) and the state pension, we'll just scrape through if we work.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

My wife hails from around Sao Kaeo too, and she do have some property and a nice new modern house there. Its nice for a visit, but neighter of us would ever considering living there full time.

Visiting the village is always nice though and even though people get up early in the morning i can't say i have noticed any "excessive" noise in the morning time from the people staying around there.

Mind you we never stay more than 3 days at a time, so we might just have been lucky with the timing.

I do concur with other on that if staying for a prolonged period a hobby or two, exorcise or other sorts of activity would be a must to keep from being bored out of your mind.

I'd agree the comments that you cannot keep to yourself in the village. Most importantly you have taken on an obligation to care for your extended family in every respect (even if you're not aware of that!) and your wife as the bridge between you and them will suffer awful tensions if you do not deliver. Many relationships break up for this reason.

I've been there.. and am still working on it!

<spam removed- Maestro>

Our vegetables always die by the way!

Best wishes,

Andrew Hicks

PS A previous post quoted his blog so I hope I can too. They are very relevant to this excellent thread.

Edited by Maestro
Removed spam - Maestro

yes it is! why dont you have money? wo it the village people wont want to dealw you just as much you dont want to deal with them :):D

PS A previous post quoted his blog so I hope I can too. They are very relevant to this excellent thread.

Apples and oranges dear AH. Do you not see the difference between responding to a request for village pictures, in a topic you are already participating in, to blatantly trying to sell books?

Talking about the "pillow"? :D

Yesterday while my wife and I were visiting the MIL. I was relaxing on the couch as usual while she yapped with Yai. After noticing she was talking non-stop for almost an hour, I finally asked her what is she talking about. She said "pillow. We talk about pillow." Huh? As I usually do when I know I will get nowhere in a conversation, I just let it go.

Later that evening I asked her why she was talking about a pillow? She said "I tell Yai pillow is a promlem". This time I persevered. I picked up a pillow and said "Why is this a problem?" She said, "No, no, pillow there!" and pointed out the window toward the loud speaker down the road.

I said "Pillow?" She said "Yes!"

I said "Sweetie, that's a 'speaker', not a pillow!" She said, "OH I solly! I make mistake. I think name 'pillow'! I confoose!"

We laughed and laughed! It's an ongoing joke now. This morning she said, "Oh Dalling, Pillow loud again!"

:):D

Amazing Thailand!

My wife calls envelopes pillows, and beer no longer goes in the fridge it goes in the office. :D

My wife hails from around Sao Kaeo too, and she do have some property and a nice new modern house there. Its nice for a visit, but neighter of us would ever considering living there full time.

Visiting the village is always nice though and even though people get up early in the morning i can't say i have noticed any "excessive" noise in the morning time from the people staying around there.

Mind you we never stay more than 3 days at a time, so we might just have been lucky with the timing.

I do concur with other on that if staying for a prolonged period a hobby or two, exorcise or other sorts of activity would be a must to keep from being bored out of your mind.

That's a novel "hobby" suggestion I haven't heard yet: exorcism! :D

But who knows, here in the Land of Spirits (or Land of Spooks) maybe there is merit to the idea?

:D:D

And on Thai television there are those eye-bludgeoned possessed old women running around scaring everybody and happily eating bloody creature remains? OMG !!! Potential clients? :D:):D

Edited by Lopburi99

Living Thai style in a village makes my face hurt....... I go around with this stupid smile on my face all the time....

My first visit to Thailand was almost twenty years ago and after that I started to learn Thai immediately. I can honestly say my thai speaking and reading are excellent...just the writing is poor because I don't get much practise.

Another great benefit is that i have been Buddhist for the last thirty years so this place suits me well. My 25 years in the British Army helped to get me used to roughing it and being able to live simply and easily. I have never lived at any great level of comfort so the old saying about "you cannot miss what you've never had..." is OK for me.

I spent my first five years of retirement living in Chiangmai and mostly riding a big Honda Steed chopper around with my Thai mates and a few farangs, and going to the bike weeks and rides with the North Comets club. Then i met my wife and I moved to her village just before we got married eleven years ago.

We are in a village about 3 km outside of Fang which is a small town between Chiangmai and MaeSai.....many Shan immigrants in the area. We live in her parents house. It used to be a traditional Thai wooden house and we slept under a mossie net every night. Then three years ago we knocked it down and built a brick and concrete house...single storey 200 sq.m.....my wife wanted a larger place and more modern plus a bedroom for each of our two kids too. So we live here six of us including the wife's parents and our kids. the grandparents are next door, and the aunts and uncles are within a few minutes walk in the same village.

I go for cycle rides some morning to keep a bit fit...and it helps when my back is aching too.

Photography is my main hobby so you can check out all my pix of the area and family etc. here...

http://fiveprime.org/flickr_hvmnd.cgi?sear...mp;tag_mode=all

No intention of leaving..... love the people..... love visiting the hill-tribes and refugee camps and village schools..... and if it all went tits-up I would be just as happy to ordain and spend my life in the robes with a bowl and klod and go walkabout and camp wherever I found myself each evening.

Be careful

Most Thais are firm believers in spirits and ghost, do not make fun of them in your wife's or when other thais listening. you might find your self really on the outside. They will think you do not respect them and are bad luck. :)

It's not that bad. I tease my wife mercilessly about ghosts and the like. Unfortunately, even four weeks after the death of her brother, I still have to walk her to the bathroom in the middle of the night and bathe with her as she is still afraid to be alone. Same thing happened when her father died so she will get over it in time. This is from a very modern girl who went skydiving with me and hiked the Grand Canyon.

Edited by villagefarang

I think it's all relative to the life you previously enjoyed/endured in the West.

In the UK I lived in a small blue hut (bunkabin), just a bed and a shower, on contaminated land regeneration sites surrounded by stockpiles of asbestos and pesticide contaminated soil. Also lived in cars, derelict buildings, outside . . . Worked 14 hours a day surrounded by stressed androids (whilst I did most of the difficult stuff). This was a hard life.

Living in this 2000 sq.ft, 3 bed house with fancy rustic teak furniture and a boutique garden is not something that was ever viable in the UK.

The kid goes to an excellent private school, which cost very little. Even with exchange rates as they are if you plan shopping over the long term it is very cheap (Makro, bulk buying).

This may be in a village (which over the past 8 years has gone from 3rd World hellhole to 1st World civilisation where there is now a monthly clean up and gardening day . . . lovely place this is now), but that does not matter. It's how you engineer your existence in these places to make a comfortable life that counts.

For those who go to these villages and stay in 'village conditions', couldn't agree more it's ruddy awful, but it doesn't have to be over the longer term.

The only thing I get hit up for here is a few gallons of tea now and again and my old mates Lit and Nan (in their sixties) come round and smoke all my L&M's . . . but that's okay.

Update on the 6am loud speaker situation: For the past two mornings there was only music being blasted, with no announcements, and only for about 15 minutes. I think the village head master (or head honcho, or head poobah, or whoever determines what get broadcast) has now decided he has a daily responsibility to be sure our lazy asses are out of bed early and if there is no news, then to "entertain" us with music. Some Thai music sounds pretty good, but no, of course he doesn't select that. He selects the shrill discordant type. But I popped in the ear plugs and waited it out.

Somebody asked if my input was being made about objecting to the sound level of the speakers. My wife doesn't like conflict in general so I know she would be reluctant to approach somebody on the subject but I'll mention it to her. Actually maybe Yai (her mother) would do it.

BTW, an earlier post mentioned making friends with the water man, post man, etc. This DOES help! Slowly I regularly see a few people, like the lady selling peanuts, corn or soy beans down the soi. We stop everyday to buy something and now it is a mini-routine which is kinda nice. I am always met at the village coffee shop by the lady with a smile, and by the gasahol boys, the owner of the little restaurant we go to every morning, and others. It is become something which I am beginning to enjoy, even feeling something was missing in the day if we didn't do it. I guess this is the process of adapting. Maybe I'm adapting after all! :)

Edited by Lopburi99

Becareful

Most Thais are firm belivers in spirits and ghost, do not make fun of them in your wife's or when other thais listening. you might find your self realy on the outside. They will think you do not respect them and are bad luck. :)

Point well taken Skip....thanks.

I have been living in a viilage 35 kilos from Nakahn Sawan for three years. I decided to lve here because my wifes father is getting old and I felt it was good for her to be close to him for his last years. I first thought I would only tolerate the life hear but as time went on I found myself enjoying the village life. We built a new western style home and have been expanding on it for 2 years, always see something new to build. This along with the garden projects that never end have kept me pretty busy. We do try to get away for a few days at least once a month, Chiang Mai, Bankok, or south to the beach. We have our own car so have no trouble getting around, a trip to BIG C or Tesco in Nakahn Sawan once a week.I find that if we are gone to long I am ready to get home and relax, yes I do miss the village if I stay away to long. But I will say that staying here without the side trips to more cosmopolitan areas would probably be a little much.

As far as the noise and burning garbage, our bedroom is almost sound proof and when the village added garbage service for 20 baht a month the burning stopped, there is still some feild burning but that smell is not to bad.