The Ksr Effect - Creative Customs

LivinLOS

I had posted a few times how I think Kwaker are really smart by having the KSR as a starter bike, its scooterish pricing gets Thai kids into riding but its making 'real bikes' appealing not a underbone or auto hot rod etc..

Anyway here on Phuket theres 'Phuket Bike' a ksr mod shop in phuket town.. I actually got my dirtbike fairing that I put as a temporary mount on my blade streetfighter from them.. Now I make no bones about it, my favorite style of bikes are fighters, and the KSR is like a baby fighter. I was really impressed at the level of work these guys are doing to ksrs, not only big bores, carbon pipes, engine mods but making really cool little creations in the body work too. Some of these bikes must have 2 or 3 times the bike cost in mods. So these guys have always been really friendly, bit of a language struggle but always cool offering coffee and making me welcome. I was passing and they often have LED indicators etc, mine got some water in and colored so I stopped. First thing was not only was the shop packed, they were out in the road working on multiple bikes, just a booming little business.. Good for them.. Secondly they had some KSR's that had been jacked up, wide bars and generally looked about 20% larger than the default package, cant say I didnt think that would have been a fun wheelie toy, just once jacked it made the tiny wheels looks even smaller, they need to modify a slightly larger wheel to finish the look.

So in talking and looking at bits I spot a KSR headlight fairing thats either a copy of, or looks similar to, the z1000 headlight arrangement, that might replace what I have on my ever changing bike.. I think they like the fact I am building my bike how I want and customizing it from 'normal' also. So when I start asking about the fairing he pulls out a book of photos and downloaded images they had.. And WOW the level of work and ideas they have built on KSR's is just crazy !! They had KSR's with full sportbike style fairings.. They had KSR's with full on streetfighter belly pans and single seat conversions.. They had just so much creative original stuff.. All right here under my nose and I didnt know about it.

As I said earlier I like fighters.. I love the 'built not bought' aspect of the creativity of them.. I spend hours on the build threads on customfighters.com just amazed at how some guy can take a old CB500 and turn it into a cafe racer, or a hardtail bobber, or whatever, often with nothing more than a second hand parts bin, some glass pack and some imagination, and I totally see the same creativity and individuality in these Thai guys with thier KSR mod scene. Impressed to say the least. Since then I have been struggling to understand ksrthailand to see the work they put in on these little things.

More than ever I think Kwaker are so smart to have that machine as an entry bike to build brand loyalty. No other brand seems to have the range or direction and it has to give them a huge headstart.

I've ordered stuff mail order from Phuket Bike, they're really helpful guys and I've never a problem with them.

I've only done minor mods to my KSR, changed the mirrors, MX style Renthal bar pad, sprayed the wheels, luggage rack and passenger footpegs plus I built a little seat for the luggage rack so the gf doesn't get "jep dood" too bad when she's riding pillion.

It's a really fun bike and if I had more time I'd consider modding it more extensively as a little project but unforunately I don't have the time or motivation due to work commitments. I quite regularly get Thai guys on heavily modded KSR's giving me a beep and a smile/nod as I ride through Bangkok, not sure if it's because they don't see many farang riding them here or not but it's quite cool either way.

I think there's a bit of a "Kawasaki" brand thing going on as well, I had a bunch of Thai's on KSR's stop and talk to me while I was riding through Khao Yai on the Ninja, really friendly guys who were interested in the bike and invited me on a KSR group ride once they found out I had one. Also had a guy on a ER6n stop and chat when I was riding the Ninja through Chiang Mai.

The other bonus with the KSR is you can fit a fair sized tank bag on it and with the luggage rack as well it's quite a practical bike, just the lack of top end speed stops me touring on it but as a local bike it's great for 5x,xxx baht brand new. I've had thoughts about sticking a big bore kit on it and riding it through Cambodia but I doubt that will happen for the next couple of years. A riser kit would be quite cool as well but then the girlfriend couldn't ride it and she loves the bike.

I just respect the imagination and modding they are doing.. They have kits that look like the z1000, kits like supersports, one a bit duci 898 like, they have kits like the KTM690 stunt (looks REALLY like it) all kinds of styles I had no idea they were making.

I said it before, but I cant see why they dont make the KLX140 into a bigger KSR ?? They have the KSR110 and KLX110.. And they have the KLX250 and D-tracker 250, yet the mid size KLX140, which would be a much better base model for modding, already designed and manufactured, and they dont sell a road version. Why they dont slap some motard wheels and tyres on it and and some road legal lights and sell that ??

A guy my size cant ride a ksr.. But a jacked up one for a 'falling off' stunt toy would be fun.

few pictures would be good thanks of these tricked up ksr .............thanks

I havent bookmarked any.. but I will have a trawl and see what I can show.

I found a Thai lad just down the road from me with a bike that I had seen on ksrThailand thinking it was a well done custom.. turns out hes 2kms from where I live.

I am not trying to suggest the ksr is a desirable bike.. I guess I just am happy to discover that theres a whole community of modders, of bike builders of custom bike ideas.. All happening right here but that I didnt know about.

Its breeding new bikers and will have a effect for the future.

livin los ...thanks for the pics...i really like the look of the first bike ..real streetfighter looking .....what cc engines do these little bikes have and what speed can a good tuned up one do .............just looked at the phuket bike shop website....111 cc engines in them and the they prob can be bored out a bit ........

Edited by barrybike

They are sold as a ksr 110cc.. Its cheap and easy to get them up to 143cc and there are total tune kits up to 19x cc.. I heard you can make a 220 kit but not seen it sold. A cheap easy kit will get them up in the 20 - 22 hp range out of a tiny bike IIRC. I would guess tho that once you go past the 143 or 170 kit range your going to have to sort out clutches, bottom end bearings, etc etc.

I saw in the last couple of days they sell an aftermarket 6 speed close ratio box upgrade.. Theres just loads of mods tweaks and stuff. And at prices Thais can pay so modding fun on a budget.

If it was just 30% bigger physically.. Or they did the same KSR / KLX and D-Tracker / KLX with the KLX 140.. Maybe the 140 wont meet emmisions regs or something ? I mean these are small on Thai guys. They are like pitbike small.

livin los ...thanks for the pics...i really like the look of the first bike ..real streetfighter looking .....what cc engines do these little bikes have and what speed can a good tuned up one do .............

The standard KSR is 110 cc ,but can be increased up to 180cc with a big bore kit .I hired a KSR recently in Ciang Mai and loved the bike .Only fault was the standard seat being very hard .

ีThey are 112cc but they can be upgraded easily to 144cc. same engine as in the Kawasaki Kaze scooter.

Takegawa is the name I saw a lot of.. a 138 kit and a 178 kit coming in a few options (carbs cams etc)..

I have to imagine a 178 20 plus hp pocket bike would go some. Well over CBR150 power in something you can pick up and carry !! :)

Its the building and modding that caught my eye tho.. I enjoy when people make a bike their own and think it gives a certain pride of ownership and starts more enthusiasm for the whole aspect of riding. customfighters.com is just such a source of creative modern bike building and recycling and its nice to find sub groups and bike builders right under my nose, even if they are building pocket bikes its no less impressive.

Some nice pics, thanks. Shame these are the four stroke versions. IMHO the original KSRs from the mid 80's were better looking, lighter and two stroke so nice and easy to tune up. The 80cc liquid colled engine based on the AR80 was a peach.

You have any images ?? I thought the KSR 110 was the first model.

l_233_image9.jpg

Mini monster..

Unless I'm mistaken, that's a Tiger Boxer headlamp, nein? And what's with that huge plate hanging over the rear tyre....is the bike really that small?

And I want to chime in and agree with y'all that it's cool this is being done; same as the Honda Chaly but with a modern bike.

You have any images ?? I thought the KSR 110 was the first model.

I have. I'll dig them out and post them.

Most of the manufactures made a mini version bike in the late 80's and early 90's.

Yamaha had the YSR in 50cc or 80cc form.

Suzuki had the GSXR50 (commonly known as a gag bike)

Honda had the NSR in 50cc and 80cc form.

Kawasaki had the KSR1 (80cc liquid cooled)

Try www.gagbike.co.uk a UK mini bike forum with lots of pictures etc.