Big Jump In Dengue Cases Raises Fears In Thailand

george

Oh by the way I forgot to mention to you too, most Thai people love to live like it is still 1860 and not the present day.

Daveyo

From your extensive understanding of Thailand 145 years ago what was the price of diesel at the pumps then?

Edited by maerim

I woke up one day with a blinding headache. Then came the joint pain and the fever. I was hot and sweating then cold and shivering. I had no idea what was going on. After a couple of days my girlfriend called her sister who is a nurse. The sister told me that I had to go to the hospital. I asked her what would happen if I just stay in bed. Her answer was "You die sure".

I was treating myself by eating aspirins like popcorn. After I got to the hospital they started me on intravenous drip. The doctor came to see me later and told me he had good news and bad news. The good news was that I had no ulcers or internal problems because if I had any I would have been dead. He said that the aspirin was making the situation even worse because it was thinning my blood even more. That was the good news. The bad news was that there is no cure and that there would be no immunity for the future. He said that I would need to remain on the drip until my blood count started to go back up. Four days later I went home weak as a baby.

It is not fun for sure and the only protection is to prevent getting bit. If you develop symptoms DON'T take aspirin. :o

dave yo

the fish and frogs u dont like are actually mosquito control....

rice paddies are not the problem, its in the cities w/waste water just sitting and nothing to eat the larvae etc.........

dave yo

rice paddies are not the problem, its in the cities w/waste water just sitting and nothing to eat the larvae etc.........

I did have a good chuckle at his posts though... :D

All the toys came out of the pram didn't they? :D

In my limited experience, having lived in BKK, Pattaya, Samut Prakarn, and in villages in Korat, there are far more mosquitoes in built-up areas like cities rather than up-country... and I've spent time up-country in both the dry and wet seasons.

I think you're right bina. :o

dave yo

Too right. Of course up country here they have eaten most of the fish and frogs...But in Pattaya where no-one would eat either of the chemically re-engineered species( and that includes farangs) got to be safe from Dengue hasn't it?

Update:

Dengue fever on the rise in Phuket

PHUKET: -- Health authorities in the southern resort island of Phuket have reported a sharp rise in dengue fever cases.

Provincial health official Dr. Wanchai Sattayawutthiphong said there had been a five fold increase in the number of people infected with the mosquito-borne disease since the beginning of the year. To date, there had been no deaths.

Phuket was one of six Andaman coast provinces struck by last December's tsunami, but Dr. Wanchai said he did not believe the outbreak was linked to the disaster in any way. It was rather caused by the natural cycle of the disease.

Almost 100 people a month were now seeking treatment for the disease. Dr. Wanchai said the rate of infection during a normal summer month -- considered a low-risk period -- was about 10-20 a month.

However, Dr. Wanchai said dengue fever outbreaks normally occurred every other year, or every other two years. Given that there had not been outbreak in Phuket for two years, he thought

the spread of the disease this year was probably part of the natural cycle.

Dr. Wanchai said the province had implemented a range of post-tsunami disease control and surveillance measures. Two hundred volunteers, who had lost their jobs after the disaster, were working to destroy mosquito breeding grounds.

--TNA 2005-03-23

Well, rice paddies is standing water, and if you care to take a walk into one under normal circumstances trust me with your booty, you will be getting eaten alive. Check out the Thai farmer, cause they are wrapped up like it is 30 below zero, yet they can work in 100 degree heat and still not pass out. Don't that beat all, and if you get a chance at least, try seeing their face cause you will see their smile, so be sure to tip your hat off to the farmer of same.

I wouldn't last one minute without pulling out my Deet Gun!!!!!!!!!!

Daveyo