Major Forum Upgrade On Sep 23 From 23.00 Bangkok Time)

george

I kept getting signed in as other members.

Same here.

Didn't like the new look at all, there was waaaaaay too much wasted space. Very inefficient design. The main forum index was particularly hideous, an obnoxious side bar took up 1/3 of the screen. I hope if they change to a new design again it will be one that feels less bloaty.

It's possible they think that everyone is like those morons that Twitter was made for. That new design was a visual assault to the senses.

Edited by lannarebirth

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if it was the finished design but some functions seemed to be missing. My first impression was, why mess with success? Look at craigslist, well you don't have to be that stuck in the mud, but be careful. I was happy to see the "old" design back today, but I have a feeling we haven't seen the end of these adventures.

Edited by Jingthing

I was Dr Patpong for a few minutes earlier today with the new system, I signed in as usual then I was Dr PatPong, then I was JCon..................

Then it went back to the old system and all was well.

I had access to the Mods only forum and my sign in name was Dr Patpong. I even recieved a PM aimed at Dr PP.

I had signed in as Maigo6.

Forum was acting very strange after the upgrade. I kept getting signed in as other members. And I found a post that I did not do, which was since deleted. I reported it here but my posts immediately disappeared! Maybe victims of the upgrade attempt. Once I was able to sign in as myself again, I PMed and emailed george and support but thus far have had no acknowledgment they got my messages about the problems I was having. I'm sure they were very busy, but disappointing that they can't acknowledge whether they are aware of the specific problems I was having, considering the fact that I was able to read 3 other members PM's for several minutes. If this post disappears as well then I know they are deleting them.

I didn't experience this, but kept getting redirected to an RSS feed page whenever thread links were clicked. Very strange. It seems reverting to the old version, also took with it posts I made in the new forum; not that it matters. However, I liked the new look though.

Edited by Supernova

I was Dr Patpong for a few minutes earlier today with the new system, I signed in as usual then I was Dr PatPong, then I was JCon..................

Then it went back to the old system and all was well.

I had access to the Mods only forum and my sign in name was Dr Patpong. I even recieved a PM aimed at Dr PP.

I had signed in as Maigo6.

It's a sign of things to come Maigo, you're destined for greatness :)

My Controls · View New Posts · My Assistant · My Friends · 0 New Messages

That stuff was missing. OK, if you insist on getting all fancy pants, we can't stop you, but please don't cut out any of the normal mechanical functions that regular users use all the time. That would be very, very bad.

No matter what site I've ever belonged to, people don't like change...until they get used to it. Bravo for the attempts to improve an already good system. I do have a pet peeve or two, but overall I think this expat forum is tremendous. And the arguments are fun, too! :)

No matter what site I've ever belonged to, people don't like change...until they get used to it. Bravo for the attempts to improve an already good system. I do have a pet peeve or two, but overall I think this expat forum is tremendous. And the arguments are fun, too! :)

Agreed. Change is scary. But did you get a chance to actually see the new design? It wasn't working and it was missing very important functions. That isn't change, that's trashing.

Agreed. Change is scary. But did you get a chance to actually see the new design? It wasn't working and it was missing very important functions. That isn't change, that's trashing.

Once one understands that none of the change is for the benefit of the user it gets easier to understand. One should never take their customers for granted IMO. Bad enough the main board is lit up like a pinball machine and screwing up computer.

Same here.

Didn't like the new look at all, there was waaaaaay too much wasted space. Very inefficient design. The main forum index was particularly hideous, an obnoxious side bar took up 1/3 of the screen. I hope if they change to a new design again it will be one that feels less bloaty.

No no, just more space reserved for adds. The guys gotta make a living and those servers burn money at ever increasing speed... :)

IMO it would be about a time to modernize the look a bit and maybe add some new cool functions but please do not overdo it.

I like my assistant and would like to be able to see all my posts there or at least all topics i have participated. Now the limit is only last 10 posts...

Same here.

No no, just more space reserved for adds. The guys gotta make a living and those servers burn money at ever increasing speed... :)

IMO it would be about a time to modernize the look a bit and maybe add some new cool functions but please do not overdo it.

I like my assistant and would like to be able to see all my posts there or at least all topics i have participated. Now the limit is only last 10 posts...

Try. Options / Find members topics / Find members posts.

Also below your avatar.

I know there was the upgade and then reversion.. So we should be back to working old forum..

But thread tracking if read or not is intermittent.. I just read all the threads in the MC forum, all the little red boxes (new posts) disappeared.. I then reloaded the forum and it thinks I havent read any threads again..

I hope it was just a case of bugs and me being in an unfamiliar environment but the upgrade was horrible. Slow, ugly and confusing.

Don't get me wrong, I think change and improvement are a good thing, but I was just relieved to come back now and find the old familiar forum back in place.

Me too !

Also below your avatar.

You mean the options button next to star rating in each thread ? Could not find post listing options from there.

Below avatar means i need to post first or navigate to old topic which i have posted to be able to list my own threads or posts.

Edit: Also noticed just now that Edit button below posts not working proper. Pull down menu for Full Edit and Quick Edit opens but hides under "next oldest - Forum support desk - next newest" navigation bar and very thricky to click to start editing. Using FF 3.5.3.

Edited by MJo

Also below your avatar.

You mean the options button next to star rating in each thread ? Could not find post listing options from there.

Below avatar means i need to post first or navigate to old topic which i have posted to be able to list my own threads or posts.

Edit: Also noticed just now that Edit button below posts not working proper. Pull down menu for Full Edit and Quick Edit opens but hides under "next oldest - Forum support desk - next newest" navigation bar and very thricky to click to start editing. Using FF 3.5.3.

I meant here:

Sorry for late reply.

As some of you noticed we did an attempt to upgrade the forum to IP.Board 3.0.3 last night. We have been testing this configuration internally for the last six months, with no major issues.

When we released it to the public last night, we noticed an issue that appeared to be related to corruption encountered during the database conversion by the third party.

We decided to revert back to the current version 2.3.6, as were unable to continue with the security flaws this had created.

Today the issue has been resolved with a software patch, and we are now in the process of reconducting the conversion to resolve the issues experienced with the previous database conversion.

We will finalize the upgrade tonight. After we are up and running we will concentrate on layout, design and functionality issues.

Thanks for your patience in this matter! I will keep you posted here.

Kind regards

George and the team

Sorry for late reply.

As some of you noticed we did an attempt to upgrade the forum to IP.Board 3.0.3 last night. We have been testing this configuration internally for the last six months, with no major issues.

When we released it to the public last night, we noticed an issue that appeared to be related to corruption encountered during the database conversion by the third party.

We decided to revert back to the current version 2.3.6, as were unable to continue with the security flaws this had created.

Today the issue has been resolved with a software patch, and we are now in the process of reconducting the conversion to resolve the issues experienced with the previous database conversion.

We will finalize the upgrade tonight. After we are up and running we will concentrate on layout, design and functionality issues.

Thanks for your patience in this matter! I will keep you posted here.

Kind regards

George and the team

So does that mean that thaivisa is offline again tonight George?

So does that mean that thaivisa is offline again tonight George?

We doing some serious testing right now to verify all is ready to go. When its verified it's safe to go ahead I have to make that call.

A forum is a dynamic site, and in order to upgrade and re-index 3 million posts and so on takes a while, and it's impossible to do this operation on-the-fly with the database open. This is a very complicated operation as our forum is huge.

My best guess is yes, the forum will be offline for about 4 hours tonight.

Thanks all for your feedback so far, please bear with us during this upgrade.

Will keep you posted!

Cheers