Honda City Vs Toyota Soluna Vios

Krub

Hi,

I was looking at a small car and am stuck between the Honda City (top range V-Tec engine at around 620,000 bahts) and the Toyota Soluna/Vios, also top range, same prices (not the sporty one)

Anybody driving either recent models care to comment on pros-cons ?

Thanks

I'd say the City is better, smoother, silly 7 speed gearbox! Have a look at a Jazz too, got one for the wife, not bad motors for the city.

I did look at the Jazz (I drove a rented one for 10 days) It felt good but I thought that the City was better value and a little more roomier

bought 2 months ago the Vios for my wife.

Not much difference with the honda city to be honest.

For me the point is the service.Our Toyota dealer in Korat is the top when it comes to service.

If you wait for your (expresse) maintenance,you have a airco room at your disposal with TV,coffee,tea,water,papers (nu english!).

Last 5000 km service lasted 55 minutes (incl car wash for free) and the costs were total Thb 670,-

Look at the service level to make up your mind is my advice :o

I bought a Honda City VTEC from Pattaya Honda about 2 months ago. No problems with the car at all and it's beautiful to drive.

I got the model with the CVT transmission - a different feel to a normal automatic but great when you get used to it (there is a 7-speed mode as well that emulates a standard auto box).

Considering that the engine is only 1.5 litres, the performance is really good. The acceleration in S-mode is more than adequate for driving in Pattaya, where you're always looking for a gap in the traffic to leap into.

Can't comment yet on long-term reliability or on the quality of service. Pattaya Honda were very good when I was buying but you would expect that.

I believe that the Toyota equivalent is just that - equivalent. I have a friend that has had one for a while with noe problems.

DM :o

Hi,

I was looking at a small car and am stuck between the Honda City (top range V-Tec engine at around 620,000 bahts) and the Toyota Soluna/Vios, also top range, same prices (not the sporty one)

Thanks

If you value service contracts & honor, parts' integity, "customer comes first" attitude & just plain bottomline on the Balance Sheet, perhaps you should know that the next decade belongs to Toyota. Honda has had its decade and it is over now. :D

If you do decide to get the City, make sure you pick up your free sledgehammer from any Toyota dealer. :o

Hi,

Thanks

If you value service contracts & honor, parts' integity, "customer comes first" attitude & just plain bottomline on the Balance Sheet, perhaps you should know that the next decade belongs to Toyota. Honda has had its decade and it is over now. :D

If you do decide to get the City, make sure you pick up your free sledgehammer from any Toyota dealer. :o

You are referring to the lady bashing a CRV in public over an aircon dissagreement between her and Honda and Toyota offering her a replacement ?

Hi,

Thanks

You are referring to the lady bashing a CRV in public over an aircon dissagreement between her and Honda and Toyota offering her a replacement ?

Indeed! :D

Honda city any day......had the i.dsi model for two years now from new and no problems.....dealers are excellent for service etc....

Would imagine the vtec is even better..... the city has all you would need. Excellent in city and long runs.....good aircon....mega good on fuel

Dealer also put in remote alarm, a brake lock and the smoked glass for sun protection all for free.....after a bit of haggling....

Go Honda any day.......

I hired a Honda city before I got my pick up truck, if I had not bought a truck I would definately have gone for a City, I think they are very good cars and with the seating configurations , very versatile.

Never driven a Vios, but I think the City is a great car, even if it does remind me of a cockroach. :o

Berty, handling is actually Vios' strong point. No need to compare with Ferrari, but it beats bigger Corolla Altis, and perhaps even Camry. From the driver's point of view.

Honda, on the other hand, has that magic CVT transmission.

• 2 weeks later...

Honda, and Toyota are both good cars, but Toyota has Honda beat on Handling, and service. The Toyota Vios is a great car. I plan to buy one fully loaded with leather seats about 660,000 list price by the time you add all the options. The new ones comes out the end of July. The only difference between Thailand and the western world is that Thailand comes out with the 205 this July.

Honda, and Toyota are both good cars, but Toyota has Honda beat on Handling, and service. The Toyota Vios is a great car. I plan to buy one fully loaded with leather seats about 660,000 list price by the time you add all the options. The new ones comes out the end of July. The only difference between Thailand and the western world is that Thailand comes out with the 205 this July.

Hi Barry,

Do you know under which name these Vios are known in the 'western world' ?

Thanks

Had my Honda City VTEC for a couple of months now.preferred the 5 speed as I find the safest place to overtake a thai is through a corner, I regularly go Chiang Mai--Udon . Am getting average 15km per litre around town and 23km per on the highway, the trip in about 81/2--9 hrs so I dont hang about...handling is good but will improve after warrenty with touring struts and shockers...a flat spot at 2000---2500 rpm is my only complaint ,but can work around it (dont drop below 4000rpm)

As well Mr Honda has just given all new honda buyers 100,000 km roadside service FREE. All round ,pretty pleased with the car...

The Toyota Vios is a great car. I plan to buy one fully loaded with leather seats about 660,000 list price by the time you add all the options

Leather seats ??

I don't understand why anyone in Thailand would want leather seats as they get so ###### hot if the car is in the sun for any length of time. Getting back into the car is almost unbearabe for some 2 minutes or more.

Am I missing something ??

If you have a silver, white or any other light-coloured car as well as window film with 'cooling effect', plus cream leather seats, then it isnt so bad, Paul. Black or brown leather is a different story though.

Any thoughts on the Toyota Corolla Altis? I think it seems like a more sensible buy than the Vios myself - after all, most taxis are Corolla Limo or Altis and not Vios... There must be a reason for this?