"bb" Gun

jimmi

I am looking for a “BB” gun. Specifically, I want a Daisy, Red Ryder “BB” Gun. I have seen the guns they sell on the streets that shoot those plastic balls. That’s not what I’m looking for. Has anyone seen one of these, or can anyone tell me how I can find out if it would be legal to ship one to my house, from the U.S?

Firearms laws here in Thailand are much stricter than most places in the US. Airguns are included under the same firearms code if bought from a dealer. Although the Daisy Red Ryder is a spring gun and doesn't rely on compressed air, I would imagine the law here would be tough on that one too. You're not allowed to bring any firearms into Thailand without a special permit from the police dept. How to get this permit I'm not sure...maybe a local friend or family member can check it out for you. If you tried to ship one here the customs dept might go nuts on you and even if they didn't, somebody at the shipyard may decide to keep it for themselves...corruption at work. If you or a Thai friend or family member knows somebody in law enforcement that would be even better. I've never seen the Daisy Red Ryder BB guns for sale here...only the more powerful airguns and the little plastic ball shooting ones you see at streetside markets. Hope this helps! :o

Yes, you can buy an air-gun in the States and ship it here. Air-guns are not classified as firearms, in my personal experience- Do a search in the Chiang Mai forum for a paint ball gun thread, where my expereriences with this process is posted.. Not sure about spring-loaded guns, but even the more powerful air guns are still not classified as 'firearms' at Customs, in my experience.

Customs classifies air guns as children's toys, which does require a Permit to Import Children's Toys.. In my case last year, I was given the option of getting it in Bkk through normal channels, or I could get it in Chiang Mai for no paperwork and a small 'service fee'. I opted for the latter...

If you get it from the States and the value is under 20,000 baht, then you can likely avoid having to go to customs... You can pay any duties and pick it up at your local P.O...

I've never looked in any stores here, but I have seen them (Chinese-made) for sale in Mai Sai... There is a special playing field for BB guns and Paintball guns in Bkk, and they also sell guns... The place is called 'Combat Zone', and their number is 09-771-3354. Prices for most airguns here are about 100% higher than in the States. Duty, as I recall, was 20%....

Thanks Ajarn,

This was exactly what I was hoping for. This BB Gun sells at Wal-Mart for $45.00. I guess that's about 1800 Baht. It is a child's beginners BB Gun. Not very powerful, but enough to give the midnight howlers :D and front yard land mine laying dogs :D a little incentive :D . I read your paintball thread. What would you recommend calling this thing on the shipping forms? Air Gun (permit for child's toy?), sports equipment, none of the above :o ?

Thanks again for your help.

Thanks Ajarn,

This was exactly what I was hoping for.  This BB Gun sells at Wal-Mart for $45.00.  I guess that's about 1800 Baht.  It is a child's beginners BB Gun.  Not very powerful, but enough to give the midnight howlers :D  and front yard land mine laying dogs :D  a little incentive :D .  I read your paintball thread.  What would you recommend calling this thing on the shipping forms?  Air Gun (permit for child's toy?), sports equipment, none of the above :o ?

Thanks again for your help.

I would call it a 'childrens toy' and cross my fingers. If you don't use DHL or any of the other international freight carriers, instead using the Post office for door-to-door delivery, you'll also increase your chances of little or no customs problems, in my experience.

Good luck :D

I am looking for a “BB” gun.  Specifically, I want a Daisy, Red Ryder “BB” Gun.  I have seen the guns they sell on the streets that shoot those plastic balls.  That’s not what I’m looking for.  Has anyone seen one of these, or can anyone tell me how I can find out if it would be legal to ship one to my house, from the U.S?

I'm surprised no one has said it yet... but, as per "A Christmas Story", you don't want one of these:

"You'll shoot your eye out".... :o

Ajarn...I didn't know airguns were that easy to get here. I guess you can just mail one from the US by airmail and not have to worry about the customs. A gun shop told my brother-in-law that you would need to fill out the same forms and stuff as if buying a firearm. Airguns are not considered firearms in my home state of Florida and there are few regulations concerning them. You can buy those cheap Chinese made ones without a safety at gun shows in Florida for about $50.

The powerful airguns which are pumped by cocking the barrel down and compressing the air are more expensive in the States than the 10-pump variety (Crossman, Daisy, etc). I would guess it's the same here.

Ajarn, what kind of airgun do you own...is it an RWS or Gamo or just a no-name Chinese brand? Also, how much did you pay for it here?

The Daisy Red Ryder spring guns would be good for scaring away nasty soi dogs...they'll sting but won't cause any major damage in most cases. The break barrel airguns are another story. Those can easily kill a dog or a person if you're close enough and hit them in a vital spot.

Ajarn...I didn't know airguns were that easy to get here. I guess you can just mail one from the US by airmail and not have to worry about the customs. A gun shop told my brother-in-law that you would need to fill out the same forms and stuff as if buying a firearm. Airguns are not considered firearms in my home state of Florida and there are few regulations concerning them. You can buy those cheap Chinese made ones without a safety at gun shows in Florida for about $50.

The powerful airguns which are pumped by cocking the barrel down and compressing the air are more expensive in the States than the 10-pump variety (Crossman, Daisy, etc). I would guess it's the same here.

Ajarn, what kind of airgun do you own...is it an RWS or Gamo or just a no-name Chinese brand? Also, how much did you pay for it here?

The Daisy Red Ryder spring guns would be good for scaring away nasty soi dogs...they'll sting but won't cause any major damage in most cases. The break barrel airguns are another story. Those can easily kill a dog or a person if you're close enough and hit them in a vital spot.

I did buy a Chinese pellet-gun last year in Mae Sai for 2500 baht.. Pretty much a piece of shit, but it did go through a police inspection at a checkpoint later that day....

Anyway, I decided to buy a better air-gun, so I bought a Co2 powered paintball gun in the States and had it shipped here. Outside of the typical corruption dance at customs, I had no problems bringing it in...

In the back of my mind, I'm still thinking about how to install the gun under my hood. It fires .68 caliber balls at 13 rounds per second at about 800 psi.. Less need of my loud horn, perhaps :o:D

How about one of those super soaker water guns filled with vinegar and water to stop the mutt. Its relatively silent and the dog thinks its pee. He should stop barking or leaving his mess and wonder how you did that to him from so far away. Anyway its good practice for Songkran and won't scare/anger the neighbors over the farang gunshots. :o

Not so difficult if you are a local or permanent resident. 

:o

Heng, is that what you think, or is that what you know from experience?

In my experience, it is not easy at all for any farang to get a pistol license...

Well, there aren't hordes of falangs at my shooting range (Ramintra 17, Soi Ladplakao), but there are indeed two, both permanent residents and they acquired firearms at the same time as the other newbie shooter classmates (Thai) going through the same steps.

... I'd imagine the most difficult step would be getting permanent residency in the first place.

:D

Edited by Heng

Heng, is it possible for a farang to go to that shooting range on Ramintra and rent some guns/buy ammo for afternoon target practice? If so, what are the requirements?

I haven't done any target shooting for a couple years and would enjoy a little plinking. Not something I would do often though since it's expensive.

This is from the US Postal Service site.

Country Conditions for Mailing - Thailand

Prohibitions (130)

Coins; banknotes; currency notes (paper money); traveler's checks; securities payable to bearer; platinum, gold or silver (manufactured or not); precious stones; jewelry; and other valuable articles.

Firing caps and charged metal cartridges for small arms and non-explosive parts of artillery fuses.

Restrictions

Firearms, air guns, and their accessories, require special authorization from the Government; however, toy air guns for children as well as firearms and air guns kept exclusively as curios may be imported without permit.

Heng, is it possible for a farang to go to that shooting range on Ramintra and rent some guns/buy ammo for afternoon target practice? If so, what are the requirements?

I haven't done any target shooting for a couple years and would enjoy a little plinking. Not something I would do often though since it's expensive.

The number there is 02 522 2231. There are firearms rentals for beginners taking the first basic course (and your only choices are wood handled S&W .38's and .357's), but not for people to rent just for leisure. You have to be a member (which I assume anyone can be) there anyway, but the good news is that it's something like 2,000 Baht a year, and that includes gym/pool/tennis club access. Ammo is between 450-500 Baht a box. All they have is .22, 9 mm, .38, .357, and .45 LRN, jacketed LRN, and wadcutters, generic local reloads only. There's a nice cleanup crew at the range that will clean your pieces for 20 Baht per gun.

The courses are a lot of fun and monitored very closely safety wise by retired army folks. You'll need to bring your own piece for all courses except the first one. They progress from:

1. beginner revolver (stationary targets, stationary shooter)

2. advanced revolver (moving targets, stationary shooter, shooting under physical duress... basically light 100-300 meter sprints between sets)

3. low light/night shooting

4. beginner semi auto (moving targets, moving shooter, shooting under physical duress)

5. advanced semi auto (not sure, haven't taken this one yet) :o

6. misc. applications: drive by's, holdups, quick draw, etc.

None of the instructors speak much English, but that's to be expected when the club membership is about 7-8,000 locals and perhaps less than a dozen falangs ever.

:D

Edited by Heng

It sounds like fun, and maybe a healthy way for some TV'ers to get out their pent-up aggressions :D

Personally, if I had the chance, I would like to do the program in Cambodia where I can shoot machine guns and blow shit up :o

Guess I've got a lot pent up :D