Three Foreginers Arrested After 'largest In Living Memory' Jewel Heist

george

Three arrested after 'largest in living memory' jewel heist

BANGKOK: -- Three days after jewellery worth Bt65 million was stolen in Bangkok, police yesterday arrested three men - two Mexicans and a Peruvian- in connection with the theft.

The rubies and emeralds were stolen on Saturday at the Bangkok Gems and Jewellery Fair at Muang Thong Thani's exhibition complex in what Bangkok police say was the largest jewel heist in recent memory.

Named as Raul Armando Carranza, 32, Oscar Alexis Martinez Aguirre, 39, and Jaime Ballesteros Castaneda, 53, the three suspects were arrested in Chon Buri and are in Pattaya police custody.

The senior investigator in charge of the case, Pol Lt-General Chalong Sonjai, said CCTV footage proved that two more suspects, now thought to be on the run, operated as part of the gang. Chalong said one of the three men in custody is suspected of having stolen jewellery at the same fair last year. He said police suspected the jewels were still in Thailand.

Police are trying to determine whether Aguirre was the same person who recently snatched valuables in Bangkok's Pathum Wan police jurisdiction.

Police say the five suspects planned the theft in their home country and were based in Pattaya both before and after the heist. They travelled between Bangkok and Pattaya in a rental car.

Meanwhile, police have arrested three Malaysian men for buying electronic goods at Pantip Plaza's Nonthaburi branch, allegedly with fake credit cards.

The three suspects are Ui Kim Chew and Chen Wei Hua, both 28, and Lai Chin Ting 43. Police say they found two fake passports and 10 other fake credit cards in their possession, apart from the one used in the purchase. The three pleaded not guilty and are now in custody of Muang Nonthaburi police.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-09-23

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should deal with these guys very harshly! The gem business doesnt need scum like this and we cant afford for such thefts to occur during such hard times. Its amazing the security on the show was so low as they escaped the premises with ALOT of stones. Its not reported but they also allegedly stole diamonds from the same vendor.

Thailand doesnt need this bad rap! The gemstone industry cant afford such events.

give them life

They should deal with these guys very harshly! The gem business doesnt need scum like this and we cant afford for such thefts to occur during such hard times. Its amazing the security on the show was so low as they escaped the premises with ALOT of stones. Its not reported but they also allegedly stole diamonds from the same vendor.

Thailand doesnt need this bad rap! The gemstone industry cant afford such events.

give them life

Before getting all carried away you might perhaps consider that they had Thai accomplices :)

The OP doesn't say how they did the robbery. Granted, that's understandable, as they don't want to give modus operandi to other would-be thieves, ...yet am curious. Was is a smash, grab and run operation, or was it done more subtly?

Do vendors have locked glass cabinets/display cases, or are items laid out on tables?

Thought the "Saudi incident" years ago was the largest in living history.... ? :)

The point here - surely noticed by All in LOS, every day, is that memories dissolve faster than morning mist on Doi Suthep....

Sorry, what was I saying? :D Happy WhatEverDay to ................ I forget.

regardzzzz,

Brewsta

I think the nation is refering to the largest heist in Thailand, 65 million TB is only £1.2million, London just had a recent (5wks ago) robbery of £40million. But fair play to the police aprehending 3 of the gang already, so are the other two Thai nationals, if so it may be a little harder to catch them, cos they probably know a guy that knows a guy who's way up there, plus it sounds like they got the loot in their possession so plenty of bargaining chips.

The nation... so retarded... "oldest in living memory" ... What do they look through a book from fox about how to make their news more dramatic?

Agreed.

I suppose if the headline has the word "Farang" in it, it must be considered more interesting and important than why Newin walked free or how the locals in Si Saket stoned the yellow shirts for inciting hatred and unrest against the cambodians...

Edited by irishbri

The nation... so retarded... "oldest in living memory" ... What do they look through a book from fox about how to make their news more dramatic?

Fox News can be dramatic this is true. However when it starts getting laced with CNN News then it becomes lethal waste material. :)

In living memory?

I guess that means that anyone involved in the Saudi jewel heist is now known to be dead?

Heist from a Thai. It is implied. Foreigner on foreigner or Thai on foreigner is a separate category with an appropriate level of response from authorities. :)

give them life

Give them life??For what?because the stole a few stones that this guys couldnt take care of!!come on!give them a cerveza and a burrito and tell them stealing stones is a no no and send them home!!they didnt hurt anybody and i dont think they planned too,so give them life sounds too me like somebody is a little frustrated here!HAVE YOU BEEN IN CHARGE KEEPIN AN EYE ON THE STONES??HAHA!COME ON< WILL NOT TELL ANYBODY!!

I think the nation is refering to the largest heist in Thailand, 65 million TB is only £1.2million, London just had a recent (5wks ago) robbery of £40million. But fair play to the police aprehending 3 of the gang already, so are the other two Thai nationals, if so it may be a little harder to catch them, cos they probably know a guy that knows a guy who's way up there, plus it sounds like they got the loot in their possession so plenty of bargaining chips.

Wasn't the haul from the UK Great Train Robbery of the 1960's around 10 million pounds ?

A Thai friend who worked for a big European Co. had a few stones stolen from her at the same show in 2002. She was distracted while opening the display cases and smeone picked up the transport cases and out the door they went with about a million baht or so in stones. They caught the thief on camers but didn't catch him.

My friend was investigated by the company she worked for and was cleared the last time we spoke she still had a job.

I think thief from this show is bigger than they like to admit.

Wasn't the haul from the UK Great Train Robbery of the 1960's around 10 million pounds ?

I think that that was only about two and a half million, but think what that would be worth now!

That got me thinking about what would be nicked in a Thai Great Train Robbery...

In this particular case, how in the name of the wee man did the MIB manage to figure out so much about the baddies? Smells of a tip off of some kind to me.

H.

And before more people starts to complain...the headline is in regards to heists within the nations borders.

Events taken place in other countries, UK, Saudi Arabia et al, isn't referenced nor included as Thailand is very Thai-centric. Deal with it.

I think that that was only about two and a half million, but think what that would be worth now!

That got me thinking about what would be nicked in a Thai Great Train Robbery...

In this particular case, how in the name of the wee man did the MIB manage to figure out so much about the baddies? Smells of a tip off of some kind to me.

H.

yes, 2.6 ! (About £30 million today)

well, well, well.... just one other of these fantastic police instant success stories -

as one is suspect to have been involved in a robbery last year, he might have been under

surveillance..... just a thought - reading the news...

Edited by Samuian

Thai security is a joke look at any bank, no screens and money being counted by the hundred thousand baht right in front of your eyes . Im not so sure that any security guards would do a fat lot either if anything happened, except maybe take their lunch break?