Single Or Joint Names On Thai Bank Account

I am coming to Thailand on a multi entry visa next year. At some time next summer I aim to apply for a year non immigrant visa, my pension alone is not sufficient so will have to deposit a sum in a Thai Bank to make up the difference. When I show proof of funds when applying to stay does my account have to be in my name alone or can it be in joint names, mine and a Thai lady?

I would be grateful for any guidance,

Thanks,

exeter

If both tennants of the joint acct are applying for extension and there is sufficieint funds for 2 persons the bank will issue aletter for each of the joint tennants. If there is a joint acct and a single applicant for extension then there are some issues that may be solved by your Embassy providing you with a letter certifing your income.

If both tennants of the joint acct are applying for extension and there is sufficieint funds for 2 persons the bank will issue aletter for each of the joint tennants. If there is a joint acct and a single applicant for extension then there are some issues that may be solved by your Embassy providing you with a letter certifing your income.

Would his Thai girlfriend really be applying for a Thai visa ? :)

When you get to Thailand I suggest you check with the immigration office which you will use if you want to use a joint account.

I use a joint a/c with my Thai wife and marriage extension was issued no prob - I have subsequently checked with my imm office many times and they still say my joint is ok. I use Phu Sing office. I am able to demonstrate that the money comes from my overseas sources and is around the Bt400K mark for 2 months prior to extn.

No, I would be applying, what I was thinking about was that at some time in the future when I die, she can have the money in the account without getting involved in wills etc. Maybe I could get her to be a signatury on the account, not let her see or keep the book until the end is nigh?

I am coming to Thailand on a multi entry visa next year. At some time next summer I aim to apply for a year non immigrant visa, my pension alone is not sufficient so will have to deposit a sum in a Thai Bank to make up the difference. When I show proof of funds when applying to stay does my account have to be in my name alone or can it be in joint names, mine and a Thai lady?

Thanks,

exeter

Perhaps I should add the following, we are not getting married as I do not plan to get divorced in England. What I amtrying to do is to leave this as a going away present when I die which will not get involved in my UK will so that she will have some security.

Thanks,

exeter

Thanks,

exeter

You may not need to make the large deposit into a Thai account if you apply for your O-A Retirement Visa in UK. I am a NZ citizen living in Thailand and when I get me visa in NZ (each year for the past six), I need only show letter from my bank proving income of at least 65,000 TB per month. Also need to show medical cert and police clearance.

Good luck

better safe than sorry, always register YOUR things(money, bank account, vehicules) with your name.

Exactly what he says, only a fool would open a joint account.

This is not the western world, there are some things you just don't do.

It's very easy to get a bank account, currently Siam Commercial Bank are taking all applicants (with no silliness)

PS

You come here with a multiple entry non-immigrant 'o' visa valid for 1 year (I assume you are over 50 as you talk about retirement), but do a border run every 90 days (very cheap). VISA Cost $150 or £100, no evidence of anything required, you just post your passport off to a Thai office in your country, along with the application form (avalable for download online), a couple of photos and the money. Nothing else at all required for the over 50s (I have this VISA, it actually lasts 15 months if you make the last border run in the last few days of the 1 year).

No medical

No police check

No funds check or proof

You apply for the retirement/married person visa while in Thailand (can take 3 months, usually shorter) during your 1 year stay (but then have to report to local immigration every 90 days). Phone up your local Thai consulate if you don't believe me, they never publish the Visa requirements online for some reason.

PPS

I believe under Thai inheritance law, your wife gets the contents of your Thai bank account on your death unless you have made out a Thai will saying different.

Edited by pjclark1

Obviously they will not accept the money in a joint account because it is no longer solely yours and can be cleaned out at any time by the Thai co-owner. They want to be sure you have sufficient funds. Why would you want a joint account anyway?

Thanks,

exeter

There is a very simple solution. You take your savings account passbook(s), show up at your bank together with missus

(with tabien ban and ID card) and both fill in and sign the papers needed to allow her signature and access to your account(s).

Keep the passbook(s) in your name really safe and no harm can be done. Thus, your fortune remains in your own hands.

This arrangement came in very handy in a hospital emergency when my trusted wife took the passbook to put up the necessary amount of deposit.

Obviously they will not accept the money in a joint account because it is no longer solely yours and can be cleaned out at any time by the Thai co-owner. They want to be sure you have sufficient funds. Why would you want a joint account anyway?

So true, you want to leave her security, do what I did, My will stipulates that on my death, all assets goods etc owned by me in Thailand go to my partner, + she gets my super pension for rest of her life. Everything I own here (not much) I own. Do not give her access to enough money to hire a hit man.

No, I would be applying, what I was thinking about was that at some time in the future when I die, she can have the money in the account without getting involved in wills etc. Maybe I could get her to be a signatury on the account, not let her see or keep the book until the end is nigh?

I have spread my money over several bank accounts in my name, one of them with the 800,000 baht I need for the extension of my retirement visa.

I had a will made in favour of my Thai wife, who will inherit all my belongings in Thailand, including the aforementioned bank accounts.

(Under Thai law you are fully free to benefit or disinherit whoever you want.)

My wife equally has some bank accounts in her name for the case she needs money urgently.

Thanks,

exeter

I am now on my 5 th. Retirement visa and the rules change every time we apply! Both my wife and I have separate retirement visas 6 months apart. On our latest renewal it was made quiet clear to both of us that we could not use our joint account and had to have separate accounts in just the applicants name. I am talking from Phuket it could be different in other provinces.

Thanks,

exeter

Perhaps I should add the following, we are not getting married as I do not plan to get divorced in England. What I amtrying to do is to leave this as a going away present when I die which will not get involved in my UK will so that she will have some security.

I am divorced in my home country for more than 16 years now and planning a civil marriage in Thailand, mainly to get a higher pension (as a “family” instead of as a “bachelor”) and to allow my wife to get a widow’s pension in the future.

The will in favour of my Thai wife was made nearly one year ago by my Thai lawyer, acting as a notary. Cost about 10,000 baht.

I remind that, under Thai law, you are fully free to benefit or disinherit whoever you want.

I am now on my 5 th. Retirement visa and the rules change every time we apply! Both my wife and I have separate retirement visas 6 months apart. On our latest renewal it was made quiet clear to both of us that we could not use our joint account and had to have separate accounts in just the applicants name. I am talking from Phuket it could be different in other provinces.

As you have an extension based on Retirement (not a Visa) Your Wife can get the extension as your dependent. She would not need to provide any funds or bank account.

You would just need 800,000 Baht for the pair of you.

There is normally no need for 400k to be shown to obtain a non immigrant O visa. That is used for the extension of stay inside Thailand at an Immigration office. If you apply for a multi entry visa there may be some asking for proof of funds but normally much less that 400k.

Edited by lopburi3

Dickfarang: You know of course best what the rules are in your country,regarding pension.I just want to caution you,that in my country,to my great surprise, when I checked it out,I found, that it is actually the opposit!! Reason:"The wife can have an income;from work or pension,which means your household have two incomes and you can get by on a lower pension". Just a friendly warning,probably different rules in different countrys though...

Dickfarang: You know of course best what the rules are in your country,regarding pension.I just want to caution you,that in my country,to my great surprise, when I checked it out,I found, that it is actually the opposit!! Reason:"The wife can have an income;from work or pension,which means your household have two incomes and you can get by on a lower pension". Just a friendly warning,probably different rules in different countrys though...

Thanks Bosse137.

I am a Belgian citizen and in my country the general rule is that both spouses have their own individual pension(s) and/or other income(s).

If, however, one of the spouses has no pension or income of his/her own at all, than the pension amount for a “family” instead of a “bachelor” is, to make a long story short, 25 % higher.

A declaration on word of honour suffices.

The survival pension for a widow(er), who has to be at least 45 years old, equals that of a “bachelor”.

I have heard from an other Belgian that, after marriage, the paper work takes a long time.

But that was already the case for the assignment of my pension.

You mean that they don't trust Thai wives either :)

Hmm, I haven't heard of joint Thai bank accounts. I have three personal Thai bank accounts and online Thai banking (Bangkok Bank), so I can transfer to my girlfriend's Bangkok Bank account from anywhere. Where are you applying for your multi entry visa? In the US you must show a US account with over 800,000 Bht or US funds that are equal to that for a retirement visa It's half for a non"O" marriage visa. If you are old enough, 50 years or older, most everyone I know goes with the retirement visa, all you have to do is check in at your local immigration office every 90 days. For my one year visa extension (in Thailand) I went to the US embassy and got a letter of income, you don't have to show any proof, just say yes this is true and pay your 1,000 bht for them to notarize whatever you put down. And as someone mentioned before, it is best for you to have anything you can have in your name. Car, motorbike, house lease and yes bank accounts. If you buy land in her name, make sure you get a 30 year lease back on it. In other word cover your ass, no one else will... IMHO

The money has to be in a bankaccount in your name. They might accept a joint bankaccount if the money is more than double what you need, but there is no guarantee that they will accept it.

There is no guarantee they will accept anything!

DickFarang: Thanks for your explanation! You seem to be wellrehersed in the matter. Myself,I come from a scandinavian country,known for it´s social services,so I think I will have another look into the rules;perhaps I did miss something,in which case I must do something about it.Thanks again!

I dont understand why so many are against joint accounts, dont you trust yore wifes , then why even get married :)

Then why apply for a retirement visa when you have a Thai wife, go for a spouse visa easy and quick in CNX only 4 weeks only thing they ask for is 40k a month in income.

You dont have to show any bank acounts or paper from the bank, only a letter from your embassy or consulate that verify your income. :D