Incorrect Change.

Jonathanpattaya

I had a little whinge at Carrefour in central Pattaya today because yet again, and this has happened to me numerous times, I was short changed because the cashier had no Satang coins in her till.

The total due was 500.25 Baht and this was rounded up to 501 Baht.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to work out that if this happens to every customer whose bill is rounded up, it will make a significant difference to the takings at Carrefour each day.

As I was paying my dues one of the ladies on roller skates was there and when I asked her why, when they include the Satang in their pricing policy, they don't have the change available in the till to give to the customer.

Her answer was that many customers have asked this question and so I suggested that the management should be made aware and that something should be done about it.

Anyone else had this little problem?

Bloody sad state of affairs when one has to count his/her Satang. If it's a worry larger stores accept credit card payment, no problem the correct sum is entered. The charges are transparent.

Have a nice day and think about getting a job if a few Satang is going to break you.

Edited by bdenner

Bloody sad state of affairs when one has to count his/her Satang. If it's a worry larger stores accept credit card payment, no problem the correct sum is entered. The charges are transparent.

Have a nice day and think about getting a job if a few Satang is going to break you.

I'm sorry, i disagree. I'm not hard-up or need a job but if the price 235.25 That's what i'll pay. If i decide to forgo the 75 satang change that should my decision. Sometimes it is as I don't like a pocket full of change. I always get suspicious when companies are helping them selves to my money as company policy. What else are they up to?

If it's only a few satang, why don't they ever round it down?

Even our local water authority rounds the payments down ( never up ) to the nearest Baht.

In Australia they did away with the 1 & 2 cent pieces a few years ago, so now the smallest coin is 5 cents, they round up or down to the nearest 5 cent, eg $12.97 you would pay 12.95 if it was 12.98 you would pay $13.00 and so on.

Of course there were the academics that realised that if you purchased something for 1 & 2 cents it was tehnically going to be free, hence a guy passing through a checkout with a single tiny mushroom, he did this about 15 times, before the store had something to say, the whole silly buisness ended up in the news.

Just my satang's worth.

Bloody sad state of affairs when one has to count his/her Satang.

I'm sorry, i disagree. I'm not hard-up or need a job but if the price 235.25 That's what i'll pay. If i decide to forgo the 75 satang change that should my decision. Sometimes it is as I don't like a pocket full of change. I always get suspicious when companies are helping them selves to my money as company policy. What else are they up to?

I agree. It's actually a disgusting policy and doesn't matter that it is mere satang. Only a dolt would think otherwise. Carrefour and Tesco have both had me on this but they know people aren't going to quibble over it. On the other token, another Tesco as well as 7/11s have rounded down on occasion.

I get a little upset when stores--especially the bigger ones, don't have proper change. I usually just stand at the counter while they go and find some. I would do that for 25 satang. I don't always expect the som tam lady to have change, but at least she's kind enough to run off and get it or give you a break or even have you pay the next time.

I once lived in a country that routinely gave sweets as change. I couldn't stand the sweets, so I went in with a bunch of them and tried to pay for something. That wasn't acceptable.

I'll second that one.

I have all those 25 and 50 satang coins in my pocket, I think.

Everytime I try to unload them, it's somewhere that doesn't take them--which I think is illegal.

I toss them in an ornamental box at home and when it is full my houseboy takes them to the local temple.

The monks accept them, happily.

In disposing of the satang in this way the dilemma and irritation of satang is consigned to the "this is Thailand" category and I don't have to think so much.

I had a little whinge at Carrefour in central Pattaya today because yet again, and this has happened to me numerous times, I was short changed because the cashier had no Satang coins in her till.

The total due was 500.25 Baht and this was rounded up to 501 Baht.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to work out that if this happens to every customer whose bill is rounded up, it will make a significant difference to the takings at Carrefour each day.

As I was paying my dues one of the ladies on roller skates was there and when I asked her why, when they include the Satang in their pricing policy, they don't have the change available in the till to give to the customer.

Her answer was that many customers have asked this question and so I suggested that the management should be made aware and that something should be done about it.

Anyone else had this little problem?

Man, you have no luck! That's never happened with me at Carrefour, Tesco ,etc. and personally, I wouldn't care less if it did. I must have about a kilo of those useless little buggers sitting at home. However, what pees me off about Carrefour happens in their food court - those SOBs refuse to use 5-baht coins when giving change. Instead, I always get five 1-baht coins.

Why don't they round off to your favor? Because at the end of the shift, if the cash register is a few satang short, the cashier must make it up.

If being shorted a few satang was the biggest problem I had, it would indeed be a fine country. I even find it difficult to believe that anyone would actually take time to complain about it.

Why don't they round off to your favor? Because at the end of the shift, if the cash register is a few satang short, the cashier must make it up.

If being shorted a few satang was the biggest problem I had, it would indeed be a fine country. I even find it difficult to believe that anyone would actually take time to complain about it.

Personally I wish they would round up or do away with using those coins all together.

if the cash register is a few satang short, the cashier must make it up.

yup that's true because the term "petty cash" is very unknown in Thailand....

I can honestly say this wouldn't be considered a "problem" for me... lol In fact in the US if I get pennies for change I usually throw them into those share-a-penny cups on the counter.

I do too but it is then YOUR choice what you do with your money. Not some large corporation.

It's also my choice to decide what I am gonna get worked up about in Thailand... :)

By the way, sales tax in the US is rounded... should I get excited about the times it's getting rounded up? :D

So if the drawer is over, do they get to keep the extra?

So is it sotre policy to "round up" and keep the additional or is it based upon the cashier?

So if the drawer is over, do they get to keep the extra?

So is it sotre policy to "round up" and keep the additional or is it based upon the cashier?

If the drawer is over I would imagine it goes into a column that helps balance out the shorts for a month. I imagine the policy is different at different retailers.

Re your second point, if the store were to round up as you say, there would be no need for it in the first place. Something that was 10.25 baht would be priced 11 automatically. The store would have to show the 11 baht price on the product / shelf or they would get into deep doggie do do.

Now for us it may seem a bit silly to be arguing over .50 baht here or there, but some local on 4000 baht a month salary it would be in his/her interest to notice such minor price variables.

It's not rocket science. Round UP or Down is normally done in software at the cash register under the guide lines set down by the business. If a business is foolish enough to piss around with Satang and not have the systems in place then leave it up to the 'check out chick' to determine a value need to have a close look at them selves.

EDIT: Lets not get carried away here. We are talking about the TOTAL bin not item by item.

Edited by bdenner

There's another topic here somewhere that talks about using the debit card for paying. No change needed. Exact amounts every time

And that was started by a poster complaining about standing in line behind people who pay this way instead of with cash.

I guess we just can't make anyone happy at the supermarket. Sure glad none of these problems happen at the night spots!

Some people have principles.

Others don't and it shows thru in your reply :)

And many larger stores want a 3% ++ commissision for accepting a credit card :D