List Of C Mai Private School Options And Details, Not International, P-1 To M-6

jaideeguy

Any experience3 with Nantachart?? - they have a branch in Hang Dong and Chang Puek.

My concern is that they are starting to push an International program ... will this detract from those who opt to stay in the existing 'bilingual' program?

My son went to Nandachart kindergarden branch in Chang Puek, I thought it was a nice Kindergarden but it only had two English teachers I'd hazard a guess that only 20% of the classes were taught in English.

FEEDBACK RE VAREE SCHOOL

..... the English language version of their website was not working.

Just a note to say their English website is now up and running following a major upgrade.

Dear Greenside,

Thanks for sharing.

I tried the link several times but it doesn't seem to connect.

I also went to the actual website, but I can't find the language options. I've looked everwhere and my son also but can't find it. Sorry but would you please advise where the language options are located on the site.

Appreciate your help. Thanks.

FEEDBACK RE VAREE SCHOOL

..... the English language version of their website was not working.

Just a note to say their English website is now up and running following a major upgrade.

Dear Greenside,

Thanks for sharing.

I tried the link several times but it doesn't seem to connect.

I also went to the actual website, but I can't find the language options. I've looked everwhere and my son also but can't find it. Sorry but would you please advise where the language options are located on the site.

Appreciate your help. Thanks.

If you go to http://www.varee.ac.th/ there is a link underneath the picture and also I think in the top right of their Thai home page although I haven't tried that one myself. It sounds like you need to clear the cache in your browser.

I thought I was posting the comments below on this thread, but forgot I was looking at the Sarasas Witaed thread and posted it there. Anyway, here it is FWIW.

Xangsamhua

There are 24 Sarasas schools, all different - they're not Macdonald's. I've worked in two over a 12-year period and have some familiarity with one or two others, again all different - at different stages of development or just different. The affiliation is loosely overseen by a Board of Directors, which looks closely at things like budget, but otherwise allows a fair amount of independence (as I see it). The Sarasas school in Chiangmai is quite new, so it has to prove itself. However, it has 44 years of Sarasas experience behind it, so that must count for something.

To get to the point, I think you need to check out the schools that suit your budget, priorities and location, and make a decision on that basis. Although the testimony of those who have worked in or sent kids to schools in Bangkok in the past may be quite valid as far as it goes, and well-intended, it doesn't really address the circumstances of schools in Chiangmai in the present.

Re the concern about schools not being able to get kids ready for IB (presumably IB Diploma, Years 11-12), I'd say if you want your kids to do IB, you're probably better advised to send them to international schools, at least for secondary, as IB is a very challenging programme and IB World Schools must be very well resourced (which means high fees). There are only 16 schools in Thailand offering IB and only one in Chiangmai - Prem Inter.

... Mentioned that the English language version of their website was not working.

- Response - "Never mind, It's not important"

- Asked about class size for Pathom 1.

- Response - Policy is mazimum of 35, but right now 43 in the class.

- I asked whether there was any possibility that class size (policy and reality) would reduce down to say 25.

- Response - "What for, it's just not important".

Regards

Typical of Thai teacher in Thai school, IMNSHO. My oh my, my mai bpen rai overrides common sense.

Well, I don't know how complete or accurate the telephone conversation reported is --- very regrettable if so --- but otherwise the notion of "common sense" has been added by PB. My "common sense" contribution is simply that, almost always, you will get what you pay for.

What's really important?

- Teachers with real credentials and experience. There are ridiculous games being played in almost all schools which are of interest here.

- Class sizes that are "teachable." Just google "class size" and its impact on learning. There is nothing definitive except to say that, at some point --- and at a point far below what one experiences generally in Thai schools --- class size does limit effective teaching and learning. I think that is one of those "common sense" things that is indeed valid.

There are a lot of "business" games being played to meet the accelerating demands of Thai --- and Thai-Other --- families wanting a "decent education" for their children. I have read a lot of comments that run like this: "My child is happy; the teachers are nice." Okay, but a happy child is not necessarily a well-educated child. Otherwise, what can I say? I know a lot of nice used car salesmen!

Finding the right school for a child certainly isn't a problem unique to Thailand, but it is much harder than "back home," I think, because I suspect almost all of the concerned parents posting here are talking about how to educate children of a "Thai-Other" marriage/partnership. Now, that's a tough one! There is one very basic question: What are your expectations for that child? That's no easy issue in a "Thai-Other" family.

I will close by repeating what I have mentioned before. Caring parents providing constructive motivation and knowledgeable assistance for a child will actually mean the most for the child. And that effort is work beyond love and concern. If you can Google, you'll find plenty to help. Like Nike once suggested, "Just do it!"

Cheers --- and best wishes for a happy child to support you in your old age....or, are you already there and sort of hanging on ?!

/s/ "The Pontificator"

Edited by Mapguy

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi, I share the same sentiment...It's so hard looking for a reasonably priced bilingual school...I finally found a school for my daughter which is Sacred Heart College. They are a Catholic school which have an English Program, I got to talk to someone who speaks English ( I presume is a foreigner) and is very accommodating. So far it's been two weeks and my daughter likes the facilities, and the subjects are taught in English except for Thai subjects (obviously!). My dilemma is looking for a school for my son which has been very frustrating. We went to a school, were told that he could take the exam for Mathayom 1, and when we went, they said they were full. When we called to check if maybe some student backed out, we were told that the level was full, but they have a slot for the last primary level. I chose to take the offer since it would be best that my son be amongst his peer. Only to be disappointed the 2nd time around when we went back to the school. I don't know if it's the way things are done here, but it is very stressful. If they offer bilingual or English Programs, why is it that the schools do not accept students unless they write and speak Thai? Will there ever be any opportunity for those who are willing to learn Thai culture? It is so frustrating. But despite this, I still love Chiang Mai and still hope my kids will be given the opportunity to learn the language and culture.

My cousin came from Regina and so far she has excelled in her field. Perhaps she is just very diligent in her studies, but I also believe that she must have had a good foundation together with good guidance from her parents. My daughter is in Sacred Heart, and the place is impressive. Facilities are very good ( I'm talking about the EP ) and teachers qualified, with an ideal no. of students. She says English is easy though. But Thai difficult. That's understandable. Hopefully this will change next year!

I went to Monfort hoping to give my kids a good Christian education. They did offer EP so I thought this would be the chance to get my kids into a school which they would understand and hopefully learn Thai at the same time. Unfortunately, they require their students to speak and read Thai. duh! where's the English part? I guess I missed that! hahaha...sometimes I feel that maybe they should just stick to Thai offering English classes...