Mid Range Living - Where?

klikster

I'm thinking very seriously about relocating. Security is an issue since I live alone. But I want something larger than a 40m "suite" room. A 1 bedroom should do nicely. My tight-fisted mentality tells me no more than Bt 10K to rent or 1.5m to buy. I actually prefer renting, but would buy to get what I want.

If I rule out:

Bangkok - lived there 2 times .. bad air quality, noise, traffic

Phuket - cost and scams .. distance from support network in BKK

Krabi - distance from support network in BKK

Hua Hin - for some reason I just don't like the place. Maybe too many expats and tourists.

Pattaya - lived there for 1 year, hated the traffic, low-life tourists .. hearing about lots of police scams now

Chiang Mai - lived there 2 times .. bad air and traffic .. and distance

Islands - not an option for me

Where is the best mid-range living?

After reading every post in Lopburi99's excellent thread about being able to live "in the village", one thing that struck me was how many of the village dwellers were married. I live alone.

Neither do I fit well in the "city folks" category. Especially those who are single .. or act single .. and like to party. Mostly that's because I'm a bit older .. and I don't drink.

There may be a number of others out there in my situation who are looking for the middle ground .. need broadband, a Makro and Tesco within a 20 minute drive. Within a day round trip drive from Bangkok.

Where is it?

Well, you are eliminating most of the places for which people live in Thailand, married folks aside.  But from what you are writing, I might recommend Kachanaburi, or if that is too small, Korat.  Both are an easy trip to BKK, both offer the basic amenities, and neither are particularly hectic.

I can't answer you & am looking fwd to the replies.

I live in a "village" & live alone, the taxi drivers think I'm a wierdo for not being married or have a live-in.

The neighbours probably think the same. :)

I like the location & house, but the black air is getting me down.

I'm too close to a main artery road, 35kms W of BKK. No noise, just dirty air from the diesels.

Didn't you have a look at Bang Saphan?

cheers :D

gd

I live in a "village" & live alone, the taxi drivers think I'm a wierdo for not being married or have a live-in.

The neighbours probably think the same. :D

I'm too close to a main artery road, 35kms W of BKK. No noise, just dirty air from the diesels.

gd

I don't live in a village but give you some moral support. You ain't alone I am a weirdo too :D a complete mad man.... because I live alone. :)

I don't live in a village but give you some moral support. You ain't alone I am a weirdo too :D a complete mad man.... because I live alone. :)

I'm a weirdo as well, living in a big house in Hua Hin ...... with a guy! :D

My friend and I live together, and occasionally his little brother as well. No women living there (just my friends girlfriend when she is visiting from Denmark, but otherwise not), and oh my do the taxi drivers think we are crazy hehe.

Bottom line is we are living in his parents' house and we are to busy with our company to be thinking about moving out, also the stupidly low rent is making postponing moving a lot easier :D

As to the OP, I can only recommend Hua Hin as this is where I live, and I love it. True there can be many expats around, but only if you go the places they go. Stay away from the centre and you couldn't find a better place to live.

Edited by d0ndela

I would say Pitsanulok

4 hours by bus or train to bkk

tesco bigc macro topland

train planes and bus service

2 bedroom townhouse 2 bathroom tile floors nice big eating area inside(kitchen) air con 6000 baht include electric and water and about 46 channels on tv.

Houses not far from big c 1.3 million 2 bedroom 2 bath

suppossedly the most restaurants per capita in thailand.

has 2 university

River flows through center of city has great nightlife at night along river Market,restaurants things like that not western style.

Manypeople speak english

hope this helps

forgot one draw back appears to be one of the hotter places in thailand

Edited by lovelomsak

But from what you are writing, I might recommend Kachanaburi, or if that is too small, Korat.  Both are an easy trip to BKK, both offer the basic amenities, and neither are particularly hectic.

I don't know whether Kanchanaburi has condos or not .. didn't find any on TV classifieds. Korat seems to have 1, not sure about 1 bedroom units. Two "Sima" ads, both small.

The neighbours probably think the same. :)

gd

Hi Gungadin,

I really do know the feeling " .. wierdo for not being married or have a live-in." Same with folks in the market. :D

I lived in a house near Bangsaphan. Great area, but still had some of the issues that a single guy living remote has. Hard to find regular and reliable help for things like house maintenance, yard maintenance, house cleaning, etc.

That, along with the security issue is why I have chosen to live in condos. They usually have laundry and cleaning services in-house and available on demand.

As to the OP, I can only recommend Hua Hin as this is where I live, and I love it. True there can be many expats around, but only if you go the places they go. Stay away from the centre and you couldn't find a better place to live.

Also, finding a decent and reasonably priced 1 bedroom condo has thus far eluded me.

I would say Pitsanulok

4 hours by bus or train to bkk

tesco bigc macro topland

train planes and bus service

2 bedroom townhouse 2 bathroom tile floors nice big eating area inside(kitchen) air con 6000 baht include electric and water and about 46 channels on tv.

Houses not far from big c 1.3 million 2 bedroom 2 bath

suppossedly the most restaurants per capita in thailand.

has 2 university

River flows through center of city has great nightlife at night along river Market,restaurants things like that not western style.

Manypeople speak english

hope this helps

forgot one draw back appears to be one of the hotter places in thailand

I've visited P'lok on a number of occasions. A bit to far away (377 km). Yes, hot like hades. :)

And besides that, I'm pretty much set on condos.

Hard to find regular and reliable help for things like house maintenance, yard maintenance, house cleaning, etc.

Good points, It's hard to get good help out here too...

My cleaner is good, 6' tall and can carry 4 lge terracotta pots at once! She is one big lass. :)

The handyman just vanished....... he's missed by all.

I live in a 2 bedroom apartment complex with a swimming pool at Nonthaburi. Paying Baht7000/mth.

Big C, Carrefour, Central is near. Can get connected to True Internet which is what I have, very consistent between 3-4Mbps. A few farangs here too.

Edited by Penangkaki

Why don't you check out Koen Kahn? I have a friend who used to live there and liked it. I visited a couple times. Clean air. Cheap prices. Big enough to have amenities.

I am curious what other posters thought of the city.

Kohn Kaen is an fun place to visit.  I have never in Thailand experienced the blatant interest women had in me just because I am a westerner.  Each time I am there, I am approached by youngish women wanting to talk, have a coffee, etc.  And I am no big catch, either.  I don't think I have ever been approached anywhere else in the same way.  KK is fine, but for me, it is a 5 hour drive to BKK, so that is a little long, and at significantly smaller than Korat, it doesn't have the same amenities.

I live in a 2 bedroom apartment complex with a swimming pool at Nonthaburi. Paying Baht7000/mth.

Big C, Carrefour, Central is near. Can get connected to True Internet which is what I have, very consistent between 3-4Mbps. A few farangs here too.

What is the air quality, traffic and noise level like?

The reason I keep harping on air quality, I have had one bad case of pneumonia many years ago .. and chemical bronchitis during my last stay in BKK (about 8 years ago).

The reason I keep harping on air quality, I have had one bad case of pneumonia many years ago .. and chemical bronchitis during my last stay in BKK (about 8 years ago).

Air quality is ok coz it's not situated at a main road and the back of this complex is the Chao Phrya River but right next door is a mosque so there will noise from the prayers.

This complex is next to Phra NangKlao Hospital.

How about areas east of Don Meung/Rangsit, slightly NE of Sapan Mai? Loads of gated townhouse communities, some with community swimming pools. Some farangs in the area, but I haven't seen too many there. Traffic is busy during morning and evening rush hours, but nothing like Bangkok proper. Reasonably close to expressways, malls, etc. I'd say air quality is somewhat similar to Nonthaburi, both of which are certainly better than Bangkok, IMO. Good Internet connections too.

How about areas east of Don Meung/Rangsit, slightly NE of Sapan Mai? Loads of gated townhouse communities, some with community swimming pools. Some farangs in the area, but I haven't seen too many there. Traffic is busy during morning and evening rush hours, but nothing like Bangkok proper. Reasonably close to expressways, malls, etc. I'd say air quality is somewhat similar to Nonthaburi, both of which are certainly better than Bangkok, IMO. Good Internet connections too.

Hi AmeriThai,

I actually don't object to being around expats. I actually enjoyed many of the expats I met in Bangkok, Chiang Mai and a few in Pattaya.

What is the condo situation in that area? Quiet serviced apartments would be one alternative.

Hi AmeriThai,

I actually don't object to being around expats. I actually enjoyed many of the expats I met in Bangkok, Chiang Mai and a few in Pattaya.

What is the condo situation in that area? Quiet serviced apartments would be one alternative.

If you mean high rise apartments condos, I can't think of any in particular. Most of the gated communities I mentioned include resident owned townhouse style residences and free-standing houses. I don't know if any are actually rented out, although I suppose it's possible in some areas. Most locations I can think of seem to have staff that clean up along the streets, some trim shrubs and plants in front of the townhouse lot walls (streetside). No interior service that I know of, although you might be able to arrange that.

I enjoy meeting expats as well. I've seen some farangs in that area, but not many. And there are some Thais who do speak English. The point was only for the benefit that it might not be great for farangs who don't speak Thai very well. Other than my son-in-law, I just haven't met any locals who speak English, or not very well for those who do.

Edited by AmeriThai

gd

About 2 years ago I had put a business plan to create a retirement community somewhere in Thailand, preferably near some beach. It would be very attractive to a lot of folks like us who want to have a good quality of life and also be able to live alone or with someone. It would cheap, safe and also good environment, unfortunately I was not able to do so due to lack of fund or investment for the project.

After hearing all of weirdo :D , Please don’t laugh, may be is time for us to create our own community over here :D

If you mean high rise apartments condos, I can't think of any in particular. Most of the gated communities I mentioned include resident owned townhouse style residences and free-standing houses. I don't know if any are actually rented out, although I suppose it's possible in some areas. Most locations I can think of seem to have staff that clean up along the streets, some trim shrubs and plants in front of the townhouse lot walls (streetside). No interior service that I know of, although you might be able to arrange that.

I enjoy meeting expats as well. I've seen some farangs in that area, but not many. And there are some Thais who do speak English. The point was only for the benefit that it might not be great for farangs who don't speak Thai very well. Other than my son-in-law, I just haven't met any locals who speak English, or not very well for those who do.

The reason I'm opting for condos is because I'm single, lazy, and looking toward security .. mostly regarding property. It seems "relatively" straight forward getting domestic chores done full-time, but when you mention "once a week", they seem to lose interest.

I'm okay with language .. speak enough to get by .. lived 3 years in Ban Krut & Don Samran (near Bangsaphan). I'm not very conversant, but I realize it and seldom try to "over engage". :D

I'm not a total recluse, but I do tend to be a loner. :)