What To Do In Chang Mai?

KBTexas

My Thai wife and I are visiting Chang Mai for a week in October, and will be staying near the Ping River. We're a bit too old for the club scene (58,45) but enjoy going out and seeing what is in an area. This will be my first visit to Chang Mai, and while my wife has visited before for various seminars and classes and the like, it will be her first 'romantic' trip to Chang Mai.

The House on Moon Muang has been suggested as a good after dinner place for drinks and conversation, and I've read the restaurant and drinking threads under the pinned area of this forum. Some of the wine bars sound interesting. However, as restaurants and bars change quickly and radically, I thought I would ask the group...if you were in Chang Mai for a 'romantic' getaway (with your wife mind you), what would you do? We both love good food, though her breadth of knowledge of Western food is a bit limited. If you are familiar with Old Warsaw in Dallas, she was flabbergasted at the 7 course meal there, and was a bit afraid of the food and atmosphere. So, I am looking for a nice, quiet, romantic place to take her where her Thai sensibilities are not overwhelmed. :D Perhaps not a 3 star French restaurant, but a nice place where we can talk and there is (soft) music in the background. Heheheh, I would probably get good points if the music was Thai, but she does like my jazz, blues and international music collection. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Also, other than the night market, which I have already been informed we will visit :) , what would you do during the day? Elephant trekking is not my thing, but museums and/or local arts and crafts is something I am always interested in.

I am looking forward to any feedback the group is willing to provide, and thank all for their suggestions in advance.

Edited by KBTexas

Some very good suggestions here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Parents-Comi...it-t299429.html

I think within this forum there is a wealth of ideas for you and the spouse.

btw... This Houston boy has been to Dallas and "Old Warsaw". Excellent place :-)

Thanks for the link greed...I have bookmarked it so I can find it again when I am in Chang Mai. :D It does have some interesting information in the thread. But not a lot was said about places for 'romance'. Heheheh, it may shock the young-uns, but 58 ain't too old to be romantic. :D

And yes, Old Warsaw is highly recommended by me for anyone looking for an elegant romantic dinner in Dallas without taking a second mortgage on your house! Excellent food, presentation and atmosphere. Not cheap by Thai standards, but neither is Burger King. :) And certainly much better value than some of the Cuisine Noir places near it. But you can imagine how rather exotic it was to my Thai wife. After she finally relaxed, got a quick primer on place settings and usage, and decided to be daring, she enjoyed it a lot. :D The waiters there made her feel like a princess, and I think they were surprised when she thanked each of them individually when we left.

Riverside restaurant is nice, you can sit outside by the river if you don't like the live band, or get on their boat (leaves at 7pm I believe) for dinner and a trip down the river.

How about some of the more unusual Wats, Wat Chedi Luang (centre) or wat chedi Yot (near the uni) are good (and free).

Trip to Doi Suthep should go down with a Thai wife, then onto the hilltribe village and dress her up in traditional dress for 100bht near the entrance to the garden, all the thai ladies enjoy a dressup.

A walk around chinatown area is good, lots of shopping, Hotshots in the evening for the live stage show.

You might enjoy the Art Museum, small but very pleasant. You may also want to try dinner at The Gallery which is on the Ping River also, good quality and sensibly priced (for a farang) Thai food in a pleasant and romantic setting, also with live Thai music to accompany.

You might enjoy the Art Museum, small but very pleasant. You may also want to try dinner at The Gallery which is on the Ping River also, good quality and sensibly priced (for a farang) Thai food in a pleasant and romantic setting, also with live Thai music to accompany.

Hi,

I know there is a wonderful restaurant up on the hill towards the temple on the hill. It over looks the city and has some excellent Thai food. It is very romantic.

I am sorry I don't know the name of it but I am sure there are some here that can help.

recommend booking for the weekend. normally very popular.

Riverside restaurant is nice, you can sit outside by the river if you don't like the live band, or get on their boat (leaves at 7pm I believe) for dinner and a trip down the river.

How about some of the more unusual Wats, Wat Chedi Luang (centre) or wat chedi Yot (near the uni) are good (and free).

Trip to Doi Suthep should go down with a Thai wife, then onto the hilltribe village and dress her up in traditional dress for 100bht near the entrance to the garden, all the thai ladies enjoy a dressup.

A walk around chinatown area is good, lots of shopping, Hotshots in the evening for the live stage show.

Thanks for the suggestions pj...will definitely try the Riverside. Do you need reservations to go on the boat, or just show up and tell them you wish to go on the boat?

Will leave it up to the wife if she wishes to visit the Wats or Doi Suthep. But the 'dressup' sounds interesting, so we'll have to give that a shot. :D How do you visit a hill tribe village? I assume it is a guide or somesuch? And what is Hotshots? 'Live Stage Show' has many different meanings around the world. :)

Thanks for the info chiang...will also try the Gallery. Thai food and Thai entertainment makes my wife very comfortable. :D

Is the Art Museum local arts and crafts? If not, is there a Museum of local arts and crafts?

So, it looks like:

Riverside - River boat dinner

The Gallery

The House on Moon Muang for after dinner drinks and conversation

Visit a hill tribe village

Night Market - any 'best' time/night to go here?

Sunday Walking Market

Maybe visit some Wats or Doi Suthep

Maybe visit the Art Museum

Maybe visit Hotshots, if it would not be too upsetting for a Thai wife. :D

Thanks so much for all the great suggestions. If there are other not to miss things, please let me know.

Edited by KBTexas

Thanks for the suggestions pj...will definitely try the Riverside. Do you need reservations to go on the boat, or just show up and tell them you wish to go on the boat?

Will leave it up to the wife if she wishes to visit the Wats or Doi Suthep. But the 'dressup' sounds interesting, so we'll have to give that a shot. :D How do you visit a hill tribe village? I assume it is a guide or somesuch? And what is Hotshots? 'Live Stage Show' has many different meanings around the world. :)

Thanks for the info chiang...will also try the Gallery. Thai food and Thai entertainment makes my wife very comfortable. :D

Is the Art Museum local arts and crafts? If not, is there a Museum of local arts and crafts?

So, it looks like:

Riverside - River boat dinner

The Gallery

The House on Moon Muang for after dinner drinks and conversation

Visit a hill tribe village

Night Market - any 'best' time/night to go here?

Sunday Walking Market

Maybe visit some Wats or Doi Suthep

Maybe visit the Art Museum

Maybe visit Hotshots, if it would not be too upsetting for a Thai wife. :D

Thanks so much for all the great suggestions. If there are other not to miss things, please let me know.

Check out the Kona Cafe right in the center of the old town. The curry served in a coconut is out of this world! Real good music with a mix of chill and jazz, Thai and American food. I am making the same trip myself with my Thai wife after a 3 year absence to spend 10 days in November. My baby daughter, now 2 years old, gets to return to the place where she was created the day after the coup! As for a little adventure, check out, www.siamrivers.com It is the Mai Tang river where there is first class white water rafting. It's about 45 minutes north of Chiang Mai and one of the best rivers in Thailand for rafting or kayaking. I am 53 now and I am not too old for the Mai Tang!

Riverside, I always just turn up, but it does get quite busy Friday and Saturday night (very popular with Thais).

Meo Hill tribe village is drive to Doi Suthep and just keep going (the tours to Doi Suthep usually include the village). You dress your girl up then pay the extra few bhat to enter the gardens and take photos (pretty gardens on the side of the hill with nice views and a small waterfall)

There is also a very big Monthathan waterfall 1/2 way up the mountain (not the one near the zoo) to Doi Suthep, very pretty, lots of Thai take a picnic and go sit in the water under it. If you like walking there is a 2km trail up the mountain with about 5 good waterfalls on the way to the top waterfall (Sai Yoi waterfall). I've only ever seen one other white person up here.

Hotshots has live show at 10pm and Midnight for 1 hour (ish), it does include girls in sexy outfits (shorts and bikini tops) but again is very popular with the Thai girls so not unduly naughty. They also have the traditional Thai tranny singer. Most of the singing is in Thai.

I just thought of another couple of places the Thai ladies love

Huay Tung Tao, a lake a small drive out of town, you sit in a bamboo hut on stilts over the lake while they bring you food. This is a Thai place, they can eat all day in a beautiful setting and it's not expensive.

A bit further out (50km)

Mae Ngad Dam (aka Eakachai House Boat), very spectacular lake and mountain, when you get there take a long tail boat for a 20 min high speed race across the lake to the other end (500bht return for the entire boat). At the other end you sit at a floating restaurant and eat (but a bit pricey at 100bht per dish), fish if you want, I've seen massive fish caught from the platform, maybe swim. If you want to stay in the VIP house boats it's 1400bht a night (don't even think of staying at the cheaper places).

Edited by pjclark1

Ok, I am going to need the help from others.

There is a restaurant called "Gaa lae" (I believe) it is located all the way up Suthep road. So you go past the back entrance of the univerisity and up and curving hill. They have a nice view over the pond, and if you walk, an even nicer view of the lit up city.

Thanks again to all for all of the suggestions. We only have a week in Chiang Mai, so I think we'll save a few of these for the next trip. :D

thaisail....I hope you enjoy your return visit as much as you enjoyed your last visit! :) Heh, white water rafting/kayaking/canoeing was in my younger, crazier days. Haven't done it for 25 years, and would probably have a coronary if I tried it now. Let's just say that 35 years of IT have taken their toll on my physical abilities. (heh, how is that for a nice way to say I am old and out of shape?)

One follow up question: I roast my own coffee, and will bring some with me when I come to Thailand, mainly because I cannot find good coffee in Thailand. Let me say that StarBucks, (aka CharBucks) is NOT good coffee, and is a prime example of attitude and marketing wins, IMO. (hey, if ya like it, enjoy it!) In every coffee shop I've been to in the hotels in Thailand, they make espresso with a machine that has a liquid coffee concentrate. Not exactly my idea of espresso, and not even a decent cappuccino. I can't bring enough for my whole visit, so was wondering if there were any decent coffee shops in Chiang Mai near the Ping River? In another thread, I saw there are some decent bakeries, so a nice pastry and good coffee would be wonderful! :D My definition of decent is someone who roasts their own coffee, properly grinds when the coffee is ordered from fresh beans, and knows how to make a proper espresso or cappuccino. Yeah, I know...a lot to ask. :D But the only way to really get a wonderful beverage IMO.

In another thread, I saw there are some decent bakeries, so a nice pastry and good coffee would be wonderful! :D My definition of decent is someone who roasts their own coffee, properly grinds when the coffee is ordered from fresh beans, and knows how to make a proper espresso or cappuccino. Yeah, I know...a lot to ask. :) But the only way to really get a wonderful beverage IMO.

Joe Cummings of Lonely Planet fame recommends Libernard near Mike's bugers.

Ok, I am going to need the help from others.

There is a restaurant called "Gaa lae" (I believe) it is located all the way up Suthep road. So you go past the back entrance of the univerisity and up and curving hill. They have a nice view over the pond, and if you walk, an even nicer view of the lit up city.

The directions you have provided should get them folks to this restaurant and Yes !, it is a nice place to have a meal and while away some time.

Either dinner or lunch. And the food is quite good and the prices reasonable.

But don't even think about going at for example New Years eve or some of the other popular Thai celebrations.

You won't get a table and they don't take bookings.

Actually, you could do two evenings at the Riverside. One, definitely for the river cruise, but another to come back and experience the portion of the restaurant that's across the street. Hubby and I found the back part of that restaurant very nice. You dine outdoors and enjoy a pretty waterfall while listening to the band that's blaring inside the actual "across the road" restaurant. The outside dining is just perfect to enjoy the band and still be able to talk. We went on a Saturday night and we're very impressed in the size, dress and liquor spending habits of the mostly-Thai crowd.

Actually, you could do two evenings at the Riverside. One, definitely for the river cruise, but another to come back and experience the portion of the restaurant that's across the street. Hubby and I found the back part of that restaurant very nice. You dine outdoors and enjoy a pretty waterfall while listening to the band that's blaring inside the actual "across the road" restaurant. The outside dining is just perfect to enjoy the band and still be able to talk. We went on a Saturday night and we're very impressed in the size, dress and liquor spending habits of the mostly-Thai crowd.

Thanks for the heads up Nancy. If we enjoy the first time on the river, perhaps we will try it a second. Heh, liquor spending habits??? :)

And again, thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I think we will have a nice vacation in Chiang Mai and I am looking forward to it. :D

Best Regards to All,

Sounds like you and the missus are set for a week of food, romance, adventure, etc, being from the other side of the Red the only thing I could add would be a early morning drive/ride along the east side of the moat, going south about 0530 to 0600 just to see the night time festivities breaking up and the participants going home/somewhere. Its something for amusement if you happen to be early risers or on your way for a trek. I would not recommend the BBQ, Mexican food,nor steaks if you are only here a short time. I used to look forward to visits to the Houston Petroleum club and the Pressure Cooker when I traveled that part of the country.

Yeah, on a recent Saturday evening eating near the waterfall at the Riverside we saw young, smartly dressed Thais drinking bottles of scotch that cost more than our monthly rent!

Heh, I would not be too impressed. I used to work with a guy who had an empty bottle of The Macallan 30 year old he would fill with well brand scotch and leave at the club. Sad indeed. I love The Macallan 18 year old, but their older offerings are getting way too pricey!

Hey slapout...yes, I am an early riser, though the wife enjoys sleeping in. Not sure how far the city center is from where we are staying (on the Ping River) but if it is not too far, maybe I will wander down there to people watch. And if Libernard is not too far away, perhaps a nice espresso while I sit and watch. :-)

Again, thanks to all for the suggestions. I think we will enjoy our stay in Chiang Mai, and do a few things many tourists might miss.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello to all the folks who replied here. I just wanted to drop a note and let you know we are indeed enjoying Chiang Mai. We have been to Riverside, and your recommendations where right on. We arrived a bit before 7 PM on Thursday, and since the boat did not leave until 8, we enjoyed the balcony overlooking the river. We plan to go back on Monday and try dinner on the boat. BTW... the fried crab in black pepper sauce was excellent! I have decided I need to learn how to make this myself. :D

The hill tribe village was disappointing. Perhaps because it was the Karen village and not the recommended Dao tribe. Basically, it was a place to sell trinkets to tourists, have them brought to you and have them pay a 500 baht (each) entry fee for the privilege of buying those trinkets. Good work for Thailand, if you can get it. :) It reminded me of Indian reservations in the US, without the glitz, glamor and showmanship...very much geared to separating tourists from their dollars.

We visited the night market and had a good seafood dinner of charcoal grilled king prawns at one of the restaurants there, chosen more because they had air conditioning than the menu. :D I was surprised that so many Thai's were inside the a/c area.

We spent the day that we visited the hill tribe doing other things too...visiting the Insect Zoo, which was more like a lab in Biology or Entomology, but interesting if you like bugs; went to a couple of the jewelry factories (times are tough...they bargained); visited 2 umbrella factories (and bought some for folks back home); and basically just enjoyed driving around and seeing the sights. Our driver was excellent, and spoke very good English. The prices for a car and driver in Thailand still amaze me...we paid 1000 baht+200 baht tip, for 8 hours. To me, excellent value.

Heh, we decided to pass on Hot Shots after my wife asked about it at the hotel concierge. The look on the concierge's face told me all I needed to know about whether my wife would be comfortable there, and after a discussion in Thai that I missed most of, my wife opted out. :D

So, we're still headed to the House after dinner Monday. Will do the 'Walking Street' today (if it stops raining), and go back to the mall to get more Thai money. :D The mall seems to have the best exchange rates around from those I have seen, and my wife has definitely helped the local economy visiting there. :D

Just thought I would give you all an update...we are enjoying Chiang Mai, and thanks to all the suggestions, are finding things we enjoy doing.

Edited by KBTexas

I'm not sure if it was mentioned earlier, but the Royal Palace past Doi Suthep off the road to the hill tribe village is well worth seeing. You may not want to trip up there again though. It's a while back now, and I don't remember the details, but I think it may be called the summer palace.

The day I was there it was under a heavy fog, and rather eerie as the beautiful architecture materialized out of the mist.

I'm not sure if it was mentioned earlier, but the Royal Palace past Doi Suthep off the road to the hill tribe village is well worth seeing. You may not want to trip up there again though. It's a while back now, and I don't remember the details, but I think it may be called the summer palace.

The day I was there it was under a heavy fog, and rather eerie as the beautiful architecture materialized out of the mist.

Thanks for the suggestion Corsair. (great plane BTW) I was looking for something to do during the day tomorrow, so I think this sounds like an excellent idea. Perhaps we can also find the Dao tribe. :D (Meo, not Dao. Heh, no wonder people look at me funny when I asked) :)

So tomorrow we will go to the Winter Palace, the Meo Hill tribe and Wat Chedi Luang, then do dinner on the Riverside boat and go to the House on Moon Muang. Again, thanks for all the good suggestions from everyone.

Edited by KBTexas

so was wondering if there were any decent coffee shops in Chiang Mai near the Ping River?

My wife and I are very fussy about our coffee too, and so far the Wawee Coffee place by the Ping River is one of the better ones. Their blueberry cheesecake is very nice too.

If you wanted some really good coffee, then you have to try the one inside the Rimping supermarket opposite Airport Plaza. That is our favorite by far. The bakery next to it has some cakes, but they aren't too good.

Matt

My wife and I are very fussy about our coffee too, and so far the Wawee Coffee place by the Ping River is one of the better ones. Their blueberry cheesecake is very nice too.

If you wanted some really good coffee, then you have to try the one inside the Rimping supermarket opposite Airport Plaza. That is our favorite by far. The bakery next to it has some cakes, but they aren't too good.

Matt

Thanks for the info Matt, but based on some of the things I read before, I went ahead and brought a lot of my homeroast by packing them in the 'void' areas of my suitcase. Heh, I thought I might have a problem with customs, but everything seemed smooth.

I am sitting here enjoying a cup of El Salvador Siberia Pacamara at a nice City+, and my wife is enjoying a cup of Costa Rica Genesis Miel at a City roast while we look out the window at Doi Suthrep and the Ping river. A very nice way to start the day. :D

And while I am not usually fond of foo-foo coffee drinks, I must say that the Black Canyon Cappuccino frappe is an excellent way to cool down the core temperature in the heat and humidity. :) The coffee is not horrible and the cooling effect of the 'coffee shake' is better than an air conditioning outlet.

Edited by KBTexas

Heh, I think Riverside may have too much business. :) The first time, we arrived at 7:15 and were told we were too early for the boat. Tonight we arrived at 7:40 or so and were told we were too late to get food on the boat as it sailed in 15 minutes. We went for the sail with drinks and an appetizer tray. When we got back, no tables were available for food and they have no wait staff on the boat. Really strange way to run a business, but their loss. We went elsewhere and had dinner, and while it was a bit more expensive and not quite as good, at least there was a place to sit and wait staff to serve you. It might be an anomaly, but you could not tell it from the attitude of the staff of the Riverside. I am not sure we would go back there after tonight's experience. Just a heads up. Hopefully it was a one off experience since everyone here seems to speak highly of the place.

Thanks for getting back to us with information from your trip. Too often people ask for information and get it, but never reply.

I always enjoy a walk along the trails near the creek that comes down off the mountain on the road to Doi Suthep. The access point is off the same road but only about 2 or 3 switch-backs up the hill.

Although it looks quite rugged in these photos there is really a good trail along the stream.

Doi_Suthep_trail_11.jpg

Doi_Suthep_trail_16.jpg

Thanks for getting back to us with information from your trip. Too often people ask for information and get it, but never reply.

I always enjoy a walk along the trails near the creek that comes down off the mountain on the road to Doi Suthep. The access point is off the same road but only about 2 or 3 switch-backs up the hill.

Although it looks quite rugged in these photos there is really a good trail along the stream.

I try to provide feedback, not only for those offering suggestions, but for those who may follow behind and find the information useful. :D

We went up the mountain and visited the Winter Palace. An interesting visit, but a bit early in the season. Most of the flowers had not started blooming yet, but the clouds laying on the mountain produced some interesting photos. (see below)

Also, found the Hill Tribe Village and did get a few pictures in just before the skies opened up and the rain poured down. Joe found it funny when I commented that the road was excellent to the Palace, but was not so excellent when you went past it. :)

If you need a good driver and car in Chiang Mai, I can highly recommend Joe. He speaks excellent English, is knowledgeable about the area, seems to be a safe driver, and is courteous and punctual. His number is 081-883-8915 Taxi #18.

post-47359-1256001311_thumb.jpg

post-47359-1256001326_thumb.jpg

An update...

Just got back from dinner at The House on Moon Muang. I have to say, by far, it was the best meal I have had in Thailand this trip. My wife enjoyed the Thai food, and the Western dishes were done to perfection. I had the NZ Lamb chops, perfectly cooked, tender and very, very good. My wife had the Sea Bass in green peppercorn sauce and the Larb Moo, and commented that both were very good. Heh, the Larb Moo was spicy even for her, so to me it bordered on nuclear. :)

Not inexpensive by Thai standards, but good food, attentive staff and fair prices for the quality I think. Certainly not an everyday restaurant, but for special occasions or the like, well worth the trip. :D

The only real downside was that they had 0 single malt scotches...not one. In fact, the ONLY scotch they had was JW Black! :D

Edited by KBTexas