Are There Many Guys Like Me In Thailand?

vrsushi

I'm 40, by no means rich, but I can live in Thailand on about 40k a month. I am university educated but a bit of a slacker. I dont strive to meet success and success doesnt strive to meet me Open to meeting anyone but do like mates from the same age range and social class as myself. (lol, yes I am a Brit:)

Am I right in thinking that there are more older retirees in a place like Chiangmai?

Pattaya, yobs from Essex?.....sorry just watched "Trouble in Tourist Thailand" :)

High flying expats in BK?

Sorry if I am way off the mark.

Anyway, which place am I most likely to meet guys in their early 40's who have managed to amass a bit of cash and want to live a normal life on a 40kish type of income? I'm thinking of a bit of sport in the morning, maybe a coffee in the afternoon watching the girls go by and a beer or two in the evening type of thing.

Of course most guys in my age range are married, have kids and are paying off the mortgage, but I am hoping there are a few who have chosen a different life to live. Where is the best city in Thailand to find them?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's really not much money to live on but I guess it could be done.

Not much money to live on? 40k? In Thailand? Have you any idea how much salary the average office worker in Bangkok earns? Christ almighty, what planet do you come from? Not everyone expects to live in a luxury condo and buy a new car every two years, you know...

Lets see:

Medical insurance B 2,500 month

Rent cheap room B 5.000 month

Electric/water B 1.000 month

Motorbike rent B 3.000 month

Gasoline B 1.000 month

Visarun 1year B 2.000 month (2 x Laos, 2x Extension, 2x Cambodia in 1 year period)

= left Baht 850 per day for food, drink, "company", clothes, dentist, medicine, passport renewal, etc, etc. (40K a month).

Not much life.

Not fair to compare with the native who dont have farangs expences like insurance, visarun, etc.

I know people who manage to live on 40K but they sit most of the time in their room.

Not much money to live on? 40k? In Thailand? Have you any idea how much salary the average office worker in Bangkok earns? Christ almighty, what planet do you come from? Not everyone expects to live in a luxury condo and buy a new car every two years, you know...

Sarcasm or irony ?

You're wrong, if you eat western food and eat out a couple of times every day you can easily spend 20-30k each month just on food and that's not being extravagant in any way, just pub grub, two meals a day.

I'm always amazed at the massive amount of daily expenditure people on this forum feel is necessary in Thailand. An average day for me costs 500 baht. Room and bills for 150, food and water for 150, plus 200 to spend on whatever I want to do that day. A book that could last a few days. A session at the gym. A day at a lake or waterfall etc. I understand some people have families and some live in more expensive rooms and houses, and some people drink a lot and pay for entertainment, but apart from that what is it that you do everyday that costs so much money? Or is that just it? A nice house, beer and girls?

Watch while someone pulls the ajarn "lived on 30k a month" article.

I think you should go Chiang Mai- less idiots, plenty your age up, attracts the more thoughtful type as a rule (although plenty of exceptions), and easier on 40k than bangkok.

RoastLamb- if you go and party 5 nights a week in Bangkok and pay about 30k in rent, and eat western food half the time, you will get through 150k minimum a month. And many would say that is being conservative. So the answer to your question is:

1) They spend most of the money at night having fun

2) They frequent a more expensive class of establishments for entertainment, than a hole in the wall beer bar or a lake.

Edited by OxfordWill

I'm always amazed at the massive amount of daily expenditure people on this forum feel is necessary in Thailand. An average day for me costs 500 baht. Room and bills for 150, food and water for 150, plus 200 to spend on whatever I want to do that day. A book that could last a few days. A session at the gym. A day at a lake or waterfall etc. I understand some people have families and some live in more expensive rooms and houses, and some people drink a lot and pay for entertainment, but apart from that what is it that you do everyday that costs so much money? Or is that just it? A nice house, beer and girls?

You room for 150 baht per day ? (4500 per month?) Eat for 50 Baht per meal ?

And 200 B for whatever ?

Your monthly budget is about 15,000 Baht, correct? I guess many locals live on that or less, so without ridicule it is possible and believable.

I’m game to try the 50B per meal game and see how it works…

For the rest I’ll have to budget separately: recreation, comfort and general standard of living.

Didn't he say 40,000 baht a month? I'm 43,have a wife and kid, but here in CM have met many 40ish 'i love the nightlife' upbeat types here in CM - not just the large crowds of party and get lucky crews of ............

Rent- house 10,000

Elec and water 1,000 - the 3 of us pay less

Scoot 3,000

Dining 6,000

Beer 8,000

Visa stuff 2,000

Gasohol 1,000

Internet 600

Company 10,000

Total 41,600 - But who doesn't go over budjet

More choices for adventure in CM for less than the south IMO, so if you can live with out the beach.......

Cheers

Edited by Fishenough

40K is easy to live on but you will not be able to save much money from it.

If you are happy to eat locally/play on your pc/read books/drink a few local beers/taxis/shopping budget per day 500 baht easy

Go out on a Friday or Saturday 2-3 k

This is between 20-25k living costs per month... easily done and if you are 40 no need to go and visit bars/massages as plenty of normal girls available to date..

I know I'd rather spend a few k dating a normal girl than a 1 nighter...

rent/bills/savings/emergencies 15k

easily done on 40k per month.

BUT

no car, no money for holidays (only in Thailand) do you need to go anywhere else? saving/investing for your future/retirement?

30k per month is survival not living but anything over 40k is okay...

You're wrong, if you eat western food and eat out a couple of times every day you can easily spend 20-30k each month just on food and that's not being extravagant in any way, just pub grub, two meals a day.

Well, I eat western food every day (prepared by wife) at home, so cheaper than eating out. However

we (wife+daughter) get by with 30 000/month.

Rent house 10 000

Electric,water 1 100

Internet 750

UBC 1 500

Everyting else 16 650

So with 40 000, it's very possible rolleyes.gif

I know most guys ccannot live in a smaller city but I do and here are my costs. for where i live.

2bedroom 2 bath townhouse 2500

internet 700

electric and water right now has been free for months when not free not more than 500 combined

diesel for truck gas for motorcycle 1500

eat out all meals 4500

entertainment 8000

total 17200

my 65000 baht a month budget lets me travel to bkk or pattaya whenever i want or go phil or vietnam or where ever.

This subject has been beat to death. HiSo wannabes tell us they can't live on less than 200,000 baht per month regardless of where they live. English teachers tell us that they live comfortably on 30,000 baht per month regardless of where they live. It becomes quite obvious that it is different strokes for different folks.

I have a good friend who is very wealthy. He drives a 14 year old vehicle and lives in a house that has the kitchen, dining room and living room in ONE room. The bedroom is small and there is a single bathroom. He certainly has no money problems and has in the neighborhood of 2 million US dollars available to him anytime. He lives exactly how he chooses. His pension is about double what I get.

I have another friend who at one time made big money and spent it all. He has a huge beautiful house, swimming pool, billiards table and all. He now lives on 13,000 baht per month. There is no longer enough money to maintain his home and property but he claims he is very happy and absolutely refuses to go back home even though he should. His meager 13,000 baht income could easily stop at any time.

Just because some of you can't handle eating Thai food and have to pay your girlfriends salaries doesn't mean everyone lives like you... in fact, I don't even think the OP even asked for anyone's opinion of his income... to me it sounded like he said that's what he DECIDED to spend a month...

To the OP, I know many people 25-40ish who live this way in BKK, and we manage to have our share of fun. Most of us don't need to buy our company (unless someone wants to be guaranteed a no-strings.. never mind.. haha), we enjoy sitting at holes in the wall drinking 100 baht a pitcher Thai beer, and love Thai food. I refuse to pay 30,000 baht per month on a room when I'm perfectly happy paying 6,000, and I'm a 10 minute walk to where I spend most of my time or to the BTS and MRT. I think you will find people "like you" anywhere you decide to live - Phuket, Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Ayyuthaya, anywhere.

Edited by Rionoir

Just because some of you can't handle eating Thai food and have to pay your girlfriends salaries doesn't mean everyone lives like you... in fact, I don't even think the OP even asked for anyone's opinion of his income... to me it sounded like he said that's what he DECIDED to spend a month...

To the OP, I know many people 25-40ish who live this way in BKK, and we manage to have our share of fun. Most of us don't need to buy our company (unless someone wants to be guaranteed a no-strings.. never mind.. haha), we enjoy sitting at holes in the wall drinking 100 baht a pitcher Thai beer, and love Thai food. I refuse to pay 30,000 baht per month on a room when I'm perfectly happy paying 6,000, and I'm a 10 minute walk to where I spend most of my time or to the BTS and MRT. I think you will find people "like you" anywhere you decide to live - Phuket, Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Ayyuthaya, anywhere.

Thanks for this. Yes, you are right. I am not worried about living on an income as I love rice, don't smoke. 5 small beers is a heavy night for me and probably most pertinent; don't need/want to pay for female company above the usual bf expenses.

I am though more concerned with finding a good set of friends.

Yes, it all depends what kind of lifestyle you expect to live in LOS. My wife and I were living in Ari, 6000 rent for a nice place, 10 baht taxibike to Ari BTS, lots of great eateries around there (I love Thai food), good meal with a couple of beers for me and a coke for the wife would be 100 - 120. I think our budget worked out at about 35000, and I wasn't trying to economise - I had much more than that to spend if I wanted to. If you live in Bangkok, you don't need a car (in fact it's a liability), if you're in the sticks, prices are lower generally which compensates for the cost of running a car. Yes, 40,000 should give a single guy a very comfortable lifestyle if he doesn't have expensive tastes.

Not that I wish to start the age old income debate again, but the OP states he wants to mix with similar social class to him. He does not state what he considers his social class to be. But he does mention being lazy and university educated. In my experience, lazy and university educated means in the top half not the bottom half- lower classes who go to university tend not to be lazy, quite the opposite. The lazy ones are from well to do families who have a cushioned upbringing and take most things for granted (I know, because I was one). Given this, I do not think he will want to eat the majority of his meals at thai prices, firstly because the idea of eating from the gutter or a down trodden restaurant will not impress him and secondly he states he wishes to meet new friends from his social class- and such people are less likely to be frequenting such establishments.

Perhaps the op will point out his social class so we can better assist him, and also provide telltale hints and tips so that he may avoid the riff raff of the working class while sojourning in the dark lands for queen and country.

Thailand is not getting cheaper! If you want to be covered for medical and accident insurance budget for that as well. Visa runs and the appropriate visas will be an expense as well. Do you really want to live in such a great place and be confined to a studio room watching thai tv and drinking a leo, if so....ok. Although you might go with the best of intentions, more expenses will creep in and you will find that 40k/month doesn't get you far ahead of the game, especially if you are not working and you have a lot of free time.

Not that I wish to start the age old income debate again, but the OP states he wants to mix with similar social class to him. He does not state what he considers his social class to be. But he does mention being lazy and university educated. In my experience, lazy and university educated means in the top half not the bottom half- lower classes who go to university tend not to be lazy, quite the opposite. The lazy ones are from well to do families who have a cushioned upbringing and take most things for granted (I know, because I was one). Given this, I do not think he will want to eat the majority of his meals at thai prices, firstly because the idea of eating from the gutter or a down trodden restaurant will not impress him and secondly he states he wishes to meet new friends from his social class- and such people are less likely to be frequenting such establishments.

Perhaps the op will point out his social class so we can better assist him, and also provide telltale hints and tips so that he may avoid the riff raff of the working class while sojourning in the dark lands for queen and country.

There are no social classes you capitalist! Been in Thailand too long I think :)

Being lazy and university educated is not a badge of honour. I used to belong to that category, but honestly I prefer hard physical work, just not for too long.

There are no social classes you capitalist! Been in Thailand too long I think :D

Being lazy and university educated is not a badge of honour. I used to belong to that category, but honestly I prefer hard physical work, just not for too long.

So do I, lazy and university educated... Badge of honor question would be a -too- long debate...

And why should I put my stamina into 9 to 5 -even senior executive- crap job, when I can live happily on a trust fund?

By the way, at 43, I am still working -sometimes- in my field ; but only if I am passionate about the project...

Must be because I am lucky enough to be able to choose with who, where and when I want to do it! :)