Vat Refund For Tourists

I enquired about claiming VAT reund when buying expensive goods in Thailand, today. It was at the Information centre at Siam BTS. I was told I can only claim if the retailer is part of the VAT Refund scheme. When I asked about claiming at the airport on leaving the country I was told that is no longer possible .Seems another way of screwing tourists in Tity Thailand

The scheme is alive and kicking, well it was a couple of weeks ago.

You seem to have fallen foul of the Thai mentality that if they don't know they just say "cannot do".

Could I suggest that the Information Centre at the BTS station might not be too versed in the rules pertaining to the refunds of VAT, though I think they are correct in saying that the retailer needs to be in the scheme. I think that most retailers that sell expensive items probably are, could I suggest you ask in Siam Paragon or the store itself.

http://www.rd.go.th/vrt/index.html

You seem to have fallen foul of the Thai mentality that if they don't know they just say "cannot do".

Could I suggest that the Information Centre at the BTS station might not be too versed in the rules pertaining to the refunds of VAT, though I think they are correct in saying that the retailer needs to be in the scheme. I think that most retailers that sell expensive items probably are, could I suggest you ask in Siam Paragon or the store itself.

Thanks, it seems I was misinformed. However I am looking to buy a computer notebook and the stores I have been to are not part of the scheme. Anyone know any computer shops in BKK that offer VAT refunds?

Thanks, it seems I was misinformed. However I am looking to buy a computer notebook and the stores I have been to are not part of the scheme. Anyone know any computer shops in BKK that offer VAT refunds?

In the last year or so, I've purchased (or helped purchase) at least 8 laptops at Pantip Plaza. The main distributors (for the various retailer shops around the mall), which are usually situated at the ground floor, have always supplied me with the yellow forms to reclaim VAT.

Edited by prighas

IT City on the top floor of Panthip Plaza are (at least were) in the VAT refund scheme.

The top floor of Pantip show one price on the items and dont have VAT refund. So they fit in well with all the other devious cheats in Pantip. Interesting they seem keen to sell me a notebook but when I tell them I don't buy unless you refund the VAT they switch off pretty quick.

Edited by sunnymarky

I enquired about claiming VAT reund when buying expensive goods in Thailand, today. It was at the Information centre at Siam BTS. I was told I can only claim if the retailer is part of the VAT Refund scheme. When I asked about claiming at the airport on leaving the country I was told that is no longer possible .Seems another way of screwing tourists in Tity Thailand

The shops that are part of the program display a sign worded to the effect "VAT Refund for Tourists" - as I remember the sign is blue background with white lettering. Usually on A4 size window sticker. The signs are usually displayed at the entrance to the store. Larger shops and major retailers in most shopping center participate. There are a number in Phantip as well as Fortune Town.

I have used the service and no drama at the airport - just follow their instructions - they just took my paperwork and didn't bother to check my goods. I must have an honest face.

MJ

Edited by imjmn

In the last year or so, I've purchased (or helped purchase) at least 8 laptops at Pantip Plaza. The main distributors (for the various retailer shops around the mall), which are usually situated at the ground floor, have always supplied me with the yellow forms to reclaim VAT.

Quote from the Revenue Website. ย• On the purchasing day, present your passport and ask the sales assistant at the store to complete the VAT Refund Application for Tourists form (P.P.10) and attach the original tax invoices to the form. Each application form (P.P.10) must show a value of goods of 2,000 baht or more.End Quote.

So the retailer can't just supply the form they have to complete their relevant

tax information and tax invoices.

Edited by sunnymarky

IT City on the top floor of Panthip Plaza are (at least were) in the VAT refund scheme.

The top floor of Pantip show one price on the items and dont have VAT refund. So they fit in well with all the other devious cheats in Pantip. Interesting they seem keen to sell me a notebook but when I tell them I don't buy unless you refund the VAT they switch off pretty quick.

I bought a laptop there (IT City) a few years ago and got a VAT refund with no problems.

Edit: and also at a shop on the ground floor when buying other computer gear. So there are places in Panthip and elsewhere, you just have to ask or look for the sign.

Even Carrefour gives VAT refunds and sells laptops.

Edited by PattayaParent