I Wish

thaimite

I am using the CAT CDMA system with a claimed 3.1Mb/s here in Issan and today I did some speed tests with www.Speedtest.net

576548611.png

To Bangkok

and

576554015.png

To London

A several tests to the US gave me realistic results

Other sites give me more realistic results to all locations and judging by download speeds for files and torrents my true download speed is about 1.6~ 1.8Mb/s with which I am very happy

CAT allocates a 10.x.x.x IP address so I can only assume that the speeds quoted are for the CAT router which I am behind. By the way the CAT system makes it ipossible to open ports for Torrents so they can suffer a lot

Note the Ping times are not so impressive

Edited by thaimite

I am using the CAT CDMA system with a claimed 3.1Mb/s here in Issan and today I did some speed tests with www.Speedtest.net

576548611.png

To Bangkok

and

576554015.png

To London

A several tests to the US gave me realistic results

Other sites give me more realistic results to all locations and judging by download speeds for files and torrents my true download speed is about 1.6~ 1.8Mb/s with which I am very happy

CAT allocates a 10.x.x.x IP address so I can only assume that the speeds quoted are for the CAT router which I am behind. By the way the CAT system makes it ipossible to open ports for Torrents so they can suffer a lot

Note the Ping times are not so impressive

The ping times will always be bad with a satellite system because of the extra time taken to and from the satellite I might have to use CAT in January how much does it cost and is it any good

As stated by NMJ, CAT is CDMA not satellite.

I had IPstar for about 5 years and this system is far better and costs much less.

I can use Skype and VOIP without problem. My typical speeds mentioned above are in the region of 6x what I was getting before and at approx 850 Bath/month it is less than 1/2 the price of the basic IPStar system

It is also cheaper and considerably faster than both DTAC and AIS EDGE options. so until they get 3G in the provinces there is no better option if you are in a rural area.

In addition as it is only a USB dongle I can take it with me when I travel which was a little difficult to do with the satellite dish :)

Edited by thaimite

As stated by NMJ, CAT is CDMA not satellite.

I had IPstar for about 5 years and this system is far better and costs much less.

I can use Skype and VOIP without problem. My typical speeds mentioned above are in the region of 6x what I was getting before and at approx 850 Bath/month it is less than 1/2 the price of the basic IPStar system

It is also cheaper and considerably faster than both DTAC and AIS EDGE options. so until they get 3G in the provinces there is no better option if you are in a rural area.

In addition as it is only a USB dongle I can take it with me when I travel which was a little difficult to do with the satellite dish :)

Sorry for my ignorance only I had spoken to TOT and they offered me satellite and I thought that they said that CAT was the same silly me I should of have checked myself (I normally accept that TOT do not know what they are talking about) anyhow thanks for your help I will check out CAT and see if they cover it in my area when I move house

cat is cdma, not sattelite.

Moreover, it's irrelevant, considering that the speedtest.net results are bogus. CDMA can do 3.1Mbit maximum, RevB (not deployed by CAT) perhaps 7Mbit, not looking this up right now) - therefore the 25Mbit + download rates are wrong, and who knows whether the ping measurement is correct or not - probably not.

25Mbit over CAT CDMA - IYD :)

At the same time, CAT CDMA, if there are not too many users locally, is very solid. It's a bit like a slow premium line - maximum rates aren't that fast, but it doesn't go down much, and it delivers close to maximum even at peak hours and over international lines. I can watch YouTube videos on CAT CDMA, but not on the 3Mbit TOT line....

BTW I am in Europe now, friend's apartment has a cheap-o 8Mbit connection... wow.... this is fast.... speedtest.net reports 8Mbit to anywhere I have tried, there's no separation into in-country and out-of-country. It's just 8Mbit, all times of the day, all destinations. It feels about 20x faster than my 3Mbit TOT...

I would not say the speeds are Bogus (as in made up) but they are reflecting the data rates from the base station which is probably connetced to the internet backbone with Fibre,a and has the true IP address of 61.19.x.x as reported by the test, and not from my PC with the 10.x.x.x address and which has the 3.1 M/b limit due to the CDMA wireless system

For this reason I would believe the ping times are close but will be if anything be longer to account for the extra wireless hop.

Although am very pleased with my CAT CDMA system, One thing that anybody wanting to use it should be aware.

Due to the fact that you do not get a true IP addres it is impossible set up port forwarding, thus torrents can be slow (although private treackers work well for me) and as yet I have not found any way to set up things like an FTP sever or use any other application that requires port forwarding.

If anybody has any ideas about settig up an FTP server when behind a NAT I would love to hear them as I would like to have access to my files at home when I am away at work.

Edited by thaimite