Suvarnabhumi Plagued By Problems

Scott

Suvarnabhumi 'plagued by problems'

Writer: Bangkokpost.com

Published: 27/09/2009 at 10:19 PM

After three years in operation, Suvarnabhumi which aims to be the top 10 best airports in the world is still plagued with problems.

The airport, which began its first commercial opening on Sept 28, 2006, had the problems even before the construction started. Policies on the new airport had been initiated and changed by past governments until it was settled at a 215,000-rai area at Bang Phli district in Samut Prakan with the construction cost at 120 billion baht.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/15...d-with-problems

Once you have good enough connection to be on AoT board you have 4 years to secure you and your family for the rest of your life ... and sometimes for the next few generations. Therefore nobody gives a $*^t about quality of services or appropriate price for projects ... money are the first and the most important.

This is an old story in LoS - just look at any corruption riddled project (starting from fire-trucks, through x-ray scanners, BRT to Carpark Project at swampy - the last one will hit the news in a few months as the winner of the project will be announced soon)...

So when in Thailand, do as Thais do ... take as much money as you can and run :)

^actually these tourists were shoplifters and proven by the CCTV footage. However the issue is extortion to get out of jail free. I'm quite positive the shoplifters would rather pay then go to the lockup. :)

The ones that made it to the international press 'may' have been but for the hundreds that didn't, I'd hedge a bet one or two were walking between the invisible border between shops totally unaware in the eyes of the Thai store cop they were thieves.

^actually these tourists were shoplifters and proven by the CCTV footage. However the issue is extortion to get out of jail free. I'm quite positive the shoplifters would rather pay then go to the lockup. :)

Careful Brit, you'll destroy some of our whiner posters' ideals that all farangs are just innocent victims and all Thais are only out to take advantage of them. Heaven forbid something like plain hard cold evidence proves them wrong! :D

YOu must be joking, aren't you.

The CCTV footage would not pass muster in any court except the ThaiVisa Hang em High Court

So when in Thailand, do as Thais do ... take as much money as you can and run :)

Actually what you do is obtain a contract through bribery, half finish the job, disappear and re-incorporate as another entity, and again through bribery to the same folks, get the new contract to finish the job you never completed in the first place. You don't have to run. In Thai society, as long as you dsiplay your wealth to show your higher status you will be honored, as nobody will question how you came into that wealth as that would imply a loss of face. And the concept of kreng jai does not allow for that.

Careful Brit, you'll destroy some of our whiner posters' ideals that all farangs are just innocent victims and all Thais are only out to take advantage of them. Heaven forbid something like plain hard cold evidence proves them wrong! :D

Ah that explains everything. All Thais are honest and all farangs are criminals who deserve to be fleeced err sorry fined for their misdeeds. :D

The CCTV footage would not pass muster in any court except the ThaiVisa Hang em High Court

The uk minister was involved in bangkok. the thai ambassador in london was called in. and still you get the thai apologists dont give up

And this is a surprise?

Definitively !

Suvarnabhumi Airport ranks no.3 as outstanding airports from online voters. The first and the second ranking belonged to Singapore Airport and Hong Kong Airport, respectively.

National News Bureau of Thailand, September 9, 2009

Aww c'mon. You can't take those types of biased surveys seriously. Many people voting in these online surveys have probably never even used the other asian airports, so how would they appreciate the differences? It's like a fat guy on Bangla asking his ladyfriends if he was good in bed and then proudly proclaiming that according to a survey, he was ranked most hansum and capable of farang lovers.

I don't think BKK is as bad as it's made out to be, but it has serious issues related to safety & integrity. In comparison to the airport at Lagos, BKK is a gem, but so what? BKK may not be in the same league as ICN, KUL, HKG or SIN but functions as an International airport and gets the job done. It works for me and I accept it as it is. I and the other hundreds of thousands of travelers don't go to an airport for the "experience" or the food, or a massage or chit chat with a taxi driver. We use it because we have to go somewhere. On that criteria, BKK is good enough. If I had the choice, I'd rather use SIN or KUL, but I don't, so I'm stuck with Miss Swamp Thang.

Actually what you do is obtain a contract through bribery, half finish the job, disappear and re-incorporate as another entity, and again through bribery to the same folks, get the new contract to finish the job you never completed in the first place. You don't have to run. In Thai society, as long as you dsiplay your wealth to show your higher status you will be honored, as nobody will question how you came into that wealth as that would imply a loss of face. And the concept of kreng jai does not allow for that.

Tell that to Thaksin!

The uk minister was involved in bangkok. the thai ambassador in london was called in. and still you get the thai apologists dont give up

That CCTV footage was a complete joke, it is not even clear if the two in the footage are the people in question. CCTV footage like that might be acceptable in the kangaroo courts of a Banana Republic like Thailand, but not anywhere civilised.

For all you idiotic Thai apologists that frequent this board, the Thais dont like any of you, they are a xenophobic people who dont like each other. Its a caste system, deal with it, and farangs are pretty low down the rung.

Shlt, here we go again. Do we have to put up with this old chestnut every time Swampy in mentioned? :D

That CCTV footage was a complete joke, it is not even clear if the two in the footage are the people in question. CCTV footage like that might be acceptable in the kangaroo courts of a Banana Republic like Thailand, but not anywhere civilised.

For all you idiotic Thai apologists that frequent this board, the Thais dont like any of you, they are a xenophobic people who dont like each other. Its a caste system, deal with it, and farangs are pretty low down the rung.

"thai apologists" are in thailand presumably because they like living here.

What on earth are you doing living in what you declare to be a banana republic? Wouldn't you rather live somewhere 'civilised'?

Youre absolutely correct The Mask. The Thais couldnt care less about the farang and LOS is so imbeded in the class system i cannot see it ever changing.There are BKK hi-so people here particularly around Saphan kwai and ari districts who own hundreds of homes,golf courses businesses etc etc.They do nothing except hire people to collect the rent and travel o/seas to Milan,NY and London to shop. The poor here are getting poorer and poorer every day. Its very worrying. They cannot save money anymore which is potentially dangerous for everyone. The lucky ones can pimp out one of their wives or daughters to some old codger from Europe or the US and maybe they will be enriched by his ignorant generousity.I doubt if there has ever been a bargirl (isan) that genuinely likes her farang boyfriend or husband. Its always about the money........always!!. Ask her Isan boo-a sami. He will be floating around somewhere. They always are.

Wow......this thread is going seriously off-topic. It's a Subarnabhumi. That's an airport in Samut Prakarn. It's not about bar-girls, pimps etc.

So, without further ado, let's go back to the problems at the airport.

While tourist are getting stopped for bogus shop lifting charges and getting demanded $12,000 to get off or going to jail by KingPower at the airport I am not suprised the tourists are not comming.

Look at the video on you tube. Were the charges bogus? I know you may find it hard to believe but some farangs SHOPLIFT. No, question the way it was handled was bogus. However, what would happened to a Thai who shoplifted somethine expensive. I would pay anything.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I have heard that in general when you are caught shoplifting you are 'fined' 3 times the value of the product you stole. If you are caught and admit to the crime, then you pay and go on your way.

"thai apologists" are in thailand presumably because they like living here.

What on earth are you doing living in what you declare to be a banana republic? Wouldn't you rather live somewhere 'civilised'?

One can live here without having to be a Thai apologist. I think they are quite sad actually. Don't completely get your poiont about "civilised". Thailand is not uncivilised ( no one said it was) though it is third world. ( poverty, corruption, caste systems). One of the reasons the airport is plagued by problems and is what some people are trying to point out on the forum

And this is a surprise?

Definitively !

Suvarnabhumi Airport ranks no.3 as outstanding airports from online voters. The first and the second ranking belonged to Singapore Airport and Hong Kong Airport, respectively.

National News Bureau of Thailand, September 9, 2009

Aww c'mon. You can't take those types of biased surveys seriously. Many people voting in these online surveys have probably never even used the other asian airports, so how would they appreciate the differences? It's like a fat guy on Bangla asking his ladyfriends if he was good in bed and then proudly proclaiming that according to a survey, he was ranked most hansum and capable of farang lovers.

I don't think BKK is as bad as it's made out to be, but it has serious issues related to safety & integrity. In comparison to the airport at Lagos, BKK is a gem, but so what? BKK may not be in the same league as ICN, KUL, HKG or SIN but functions as an International airport and gets the job done. It works for me and I accept it as it is. I and the other hundreds of thousands of travelers don't go to an airport for the "experience" or the food, or a massage or chit chat with a taxi driver. We use it because we have to go somewhere. On that criteria, BKK is good enough. If I had the choice, I'd rather use SIN or KUL, but I don't, so I'm stuck with Miss Swamp Thang.

:) good one

I am fully agreed with you statement. :D

I only agree with the last part, "shoplifters would rather pay then go to the lockup." however, I would include any farang, whether guilty or not. Yourself included, unless you're Rambo and can grab a grenade launcher and power your way out of detention.

This topic has been discussed ad nauseum. If you choose to believe all the CCTV footage and the rantings of psuedo cops shouting for $15,000 immediate payment for a $15 supposedly-lifted item, then that's your choice. BTW, the shouted threats are going on while a person is missing their flight, and being told they'll likely go to jail for 2 years and fined large amounts. The scenario has as much veracity as the shake-downs in Pattaya and Phuket re; jetski. 50,000 baht demanded with threats and weapons in order to do a 400 baht repair to a scratch that happened prior.

The airport could be cleaned up if outside people were called in. Just as the Sri Lankans called in the Norwegians to help them broker an end to their civil war, so too Thai gov't should call in some Scandinavians to help them clean up the messes at the airport. Thais are not capable of doing it on their own. None can be objective, none can mete out tangible repercussions to wrongdoers, and Thais are too easily assimilated in the pay-off games that are rife here.

Suvarnabhumi Airport ranks no.3 as outstanding airports from online voters.

The first and the second ranking belonged to Singapore Airport and Hong Kong Airport, respectively.

It must be a ranking of ASIAN airports, not worldwide airports, n'est-ce pas?

Wow......this thread is going seriously off-topic. It's a Subarnabhumi. That's an airport in Samut Prakarn. It's not about bar-girls, pimps etc.

So, without further ado, let's go back to the problems at the airport.

This is a Thai airport and there are no problems what so ever - all this is only a farang propaganda because they envy our new, corruption and scam free state-of-the-art-no-cracked-runway airport.

:):D :D

While tourist are getting stopped for bogus shop lifting charges and getting demanded $12,000 to get off or going to jail by KingPower at the airport I am not suprised the tourists are not comming.

Look at the video on you tube. Were the charges bogus? I know you may find it hard to believe but some farangs SHOPLIFT. No, question the way it was handled was bogus. However, what would happened to a Thai who shoplifted somethine expensive. I would pay anything.

The video on youtube has been edited (:29) and is therefore useless. This is not an isolated incident, many people have been scammed by the King Power mafia cartel (involved in drugs, whores, child trafficking). Kate Duffal at the British Embassy was quoted as saying that people ‘had been arrested walking around King Power shops with goods in their hands’.

The chairman of King Power Vichai Raskriaksorn has two sons, both of them own body massages catering to Asian men on Ratchada which employ underage girls mostly sourced from Burma.

I wonder if William has been a happy customer (Vichai and his two illegitimate sons)

post-16064-1254221884_thumb.jpg