Recieving Parcels From Overseas

whistleblower

Can anyone tell me if this is normal. My sister has just sent my wife a parcel with some baby gifts for our new daughter. When my wife went to pick up the parcel today she was told she had to pay 1200bht for customs!!! The parcel has not been opened and customs have 'assessed' this amount. The value of the contents of the parcel is 27 uk pounds. Is this the norm??? Every day I find at least one reason to sell up and go home!!!!

I have packages delivered every month via the postal service with little to no duties. Once I had a package delivered from the US via a private express service (can't say their name, but starts with a D) and they charged 100% of the value. I refused it and then had the same product sent via post where they charged 10% duties. If you use any of the big three you will be scalped for sure!

If sending private, use normal post and declare content as GIFT - then you will not be charged anything (sent many times from and to Europe, never paid single baht - even on 15,000 THB digital camera - declared as 4,500 THB).

If you use courier, then you pay a lot, just 200 for customs clearance + additional fees and taxes. You won't get below 1,000 doesn't matter what you put as content.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal. My sister has just sent my wife a parcel with some baby gifts for our new daughter. When my wife went to pick up the parcel today she was told she had to pay 1200bht for customs!!! The parcel has not been opened and customs have 'assessed' this amount. The value of the contents of the parcel is 27 uk pounds. Is this the norm??? Every day I find at least one reason to sell up and go home!!!!

you can, and I do argue it out with them... tell them the value is about 500bahts.. they will contact customs , customs will settle for about 200 bahts.... will take about a week...

I received in the last 4 months about 10 parcels from Austalia via Thai Mail without any problem.

Each parcel was declared for about 14.000 baht ( power tools ) and only one time i had to pay 10% import duty for the rest nothing.

I has happily impressed with this :-)

I know that the courier parcels are really checked and heavy import dutys asked for them.

Quite seriously - there are no rules on this at all, it depends entirely on the whim of the Customs Officer who examines that particular package on that particular day.

My wife occasionally buys items on eBay to be shipped to Thailand and then re-sells them here - a Commercial transaction.

She will, on other occasions, buy similar items as presents for our children - a personal transaction.

No matter how many permutations of splitting Shipments into smaller packages, declaring the actual Value, under-valuing the Invoice (when the Seller will agree to that of course), listing the package as "Commercial items", "Samples", "Unsolicited Gift" whatever, there is no known (to us) combination of any circumstance that will guarantee a Duty Free import. Even when an Invoice is included in the Shipment, it is arbitrarily ignored by the Customs Officer who will place his own estimate of Value on the contents, then apply another completely arbitrary Import Duty on that value.

As an example, we recently bought about Baht 60,000.- of items from one Vendor on eBay and had it shipped in 4 separate packages, all of approximately the same weight (4 Kgs), size (about 1.5 cubic feet) and total value. (In this case the Vendor insisted on enclosing an Invoice for each Shipment at the actual Cost we paid). The first 2 Shipments arrived trouble free and were delivered to our home by the regular Postman, no charges whatsoever, although both had obviously been opened prior to delivery to us – presumably by Customs here. The 3rd shipment was assessed for Import Duty and VAT at a total of just under Baht 1,200.- , (which had no mathematical relationship, that we could ascertain, to the Value declared on the enclosed Invoice). We received an official notification of this assessment in the mail, went to pay at the local Post Office and received the package within minutes (all payments were properly receipted).

4th Package, yet to arrive - who knows!

Patrick

Well my wife went back to the post office and refused to pay as it was a gift. She had to fill in some forms and the packages will be returned to customs who will now reassess if she has to pay at all or if they will reduce the import tax. This will apparently take 5 days!!!!!

After 11 years here I am finally coming to the end of my tether. Everything is corrupt and its only getting worse. My wife was told by the girl in the post office that the customs department have been told they have to make 300,000 baht a day and how they do it is up to them!!!!

Just a quick update. Got a reply from customs today saying they have reassed the import tax on my two parcels and the new import tax is zero baht!!! This is because it was a gift. Both parcels were originally marked by my sister as "gift". Just goes to show that a little arguing is worth it!! Thanx to all for the advice.

You were very lucky, Its a lottery, i have a lot of past and current dealings with this and there is no set pattern, i was sent 4 idential boxes seperatly, 3 , no charge, 1 100 per cent, whilst its true the big 3 couriers are in bed with the thai customs the post office are almost as bad,.declared as gift usualy means nothing, its just the luck of the draw,and i agree it can be a miserable experience and if you want to dispute the amount and you will drive your self mad as they couldnt give a toss how long it takes to sort out, its a game and i play along now, some clear no problem, but i expect charges on every box ,and if its not its a bonus,......

Edited by imaneggspurt

This is a little trick a uk friend of mine uses. (since doing this he has never experienced a problem)

On the parcel write the address in english, Along side it write the address in thai if you can (Has to be good flawless thai). The english make it look like a thai has written it few mistakes.

Also put the senders name and address in thai and english, But show a thai name not a farang name.

This is easy to do if you send the details to the sender and they print it on a label.

Best just to stop receiving parcels and make do with what Thailand itself has to offer. That's what I do; works just fine. You don't need any baby gifts, really--and your sister can just wire some money to you easily via Western Union for buying baby gifts here in LOS. The selection is perfectly adequate.

That way, you'll have much more peace of mind and won't need to sell up and go home.

A word to the wise from Dear Abbey.

Best just to stop receiving parcels and make do with what Thailand itself has to offer. That's what I do; works just fine. You don't need any baby gifts, really--and your sister can just wire some money to you easily via Western Union for buying baby gifts here in LOS. The selection is perfectly adequate.

That way, you'll have much more peace of mind and won't need to sell up and go home.

A word to the wise from Dear Abbey.

Great advice ! ... :) do you work for the thai chamber of commerce :D

The fact that I 'Dont need' baby gifts isnt the issue. Family members (well mine anyway) have always preferred giving gifts over sending money, as giving money seems so impersonal. And I agree, there is a decent selection here... at treble the price!! Point in example- Pushchair umbrella- Central 1995bht, Argos - 9 pounds ninety five.

Also The choice of clothes here, whilst adequate seems to lack in variety of colours. Ie blue for boy and pink for girl is all they have

Also some things cannot be bought here like baby swimming costume with the built in waterproof nappy. Cant find them anywhere and the baby safe toys in central are about 4 times the price of the same toy in England.

The fact that I 'Dont need' baby gifts isnt the issue. Family members (well mine anyway) have always preferred giving gifts over sending money, as giving money seems so impersonal. And I agree, there is a decent selection here... at treble the price!! Point in example- Pushchair umbrella- Central 1995bht, Argos - 9 pounds ninety five.

Also The choice of clothes here, whilst adequate seems to lack in variety of colours. Ie blue for boy and pink for girl is all they have

Also some things cannot be bought here like baby swimming costume with the built in waterproof nappy. Cant find them anywhere and the baby safe toys in central are about 4 times the price of the same toy in England.

But, you see, your baby is in Thailand now (notify family members that, accordingly, their preferences must change), and babies in Thailand don't parade around in pushchair umbrellas, swim in waterproof nappies, wear other than blue or pink, or play with baby-safe toys. Oh, well. Yet they have plenty of fun and do just fine.

Explain to your baby that he/she will have to leave off texting other babies back in faraway Blighty (possibly a source of envy) and must deal w/ the situation in the same way as Thai babies do so admirably--and then simply move on.

After all, the weather's great. Fewer colds & flu, y'know.

Abby

Edited by JSixpack

Thai Customs is the most corrupt arm of the Thai Government (the second being the national police). One is completely at the mercy of whatever customs agent "clears" your package, usually for their personal profit.

Exporters and importers have known this for decades, and world export organizations are quick to agree and issue appropriate warnings for any goods sent into or out of this country. Most successful Thai exporters and importers have "connections" and keep greasing the palms which helps expedite their shipments, but is a serious drain on profits. Meanwhile, Thai commerce and trade suffer seriously because of this climate of corruption. It's a major factor that helps keep this country's one foot in the third world while trying to reach for the "developed world" with the other.

Good luck.

Just a quick update. Got a reply from customs today saying they have reassed the import tax on my two parcels and the new import tax is zero baht!!! This is because it was a gift. Both parcels were originally marked by my sister as "gift". Just goes to show that a little arguing is worth it!! Thanx to all for the advice.

I had exactly the same problem with some tea sent from the UK. Same process, same amount (1200 baht), but they refused to reasses... So, the missus went down to the depo at Hualumpong, and they still refused to reasses, then they brought out the offending item which was stamped on several sides, in big letters; NO DUTY TO PAY (in Thai...). So, she pointed this out and went to see the big boss... 'Oh, sorry, mistake na...' No duty to pay. :)

Yep totally normal as it would be in the UK inbound

Abby <deleted>????

you are either a troll or don't have kids!!!!

So what your suggesting is that I do away with things that that I consider normal or essential for my daughter?

Fine, then in your opinion i should fully embrace the Thai way of life?

I will start today!!!!!!!!!!

Tell me if i have missed anything out....glad we have an expert here

as of tomorrow i will start travelling around on a motorcycle with my daughter, making sure of course at 7 months old she doesnt wear a helmet. I will make sure that when i take her to lumpini park i wont bother with shade, i will just leave her in the sun all day. take her to the pool (maybe when your there!!!) and let her shit and piss in the pool and ruin it for everyone else. after that I'll take her to Chatuchak and buy her some 'unsafe' baby toys, of course i wont be there when she chokes to death, i will be out with the mia noi playing cards and drinking whisky.

and i will also explain to my daughter (when she is old enough) what texting uk is????

Dont know if u r a man or a woman, i'm guessing man (or Myra Hindleys sister) but this post is about parcels, why do you have to start giving parental advice???

As i am sure everyone else on this site will tell you, parents want the best for their kids, they want them to be well mannered/schooled/behaved and dressed. Also well educated and by the time they r 18 months mentally developed enough to be not just able to 'Wai' like those adorable thai kids!

So stay on subject, stop giving parental advice where its not needed and dont tell me what i should do with my daughter!!!

From my own personal experience so far I have not had any problems - I receive several parcels a month -mainly professional magazines and occassional food items. Also often have parcels with clothes and other gifts sent for my daughter from my parents. Usually I pay 7baht, and that's it. Only on one occassion did I get stung for duty and that was 1,000 baht or something like that for several DVD's that I had been sent as a present. I had no idea how they cam out with the sum, but there was little I could do about it. As mentioned earlier Thai customs are well known as the most corrupt department in Thailand, which is saying something when the BIB are rated at number two. Both import and export duties are all rather adhoc and bizarre, so there really is no way of knowing what is right and what is wrong. I guess in the end Somchai just makes it up as he goes along.

Those interested in this subject should read a similar thread that was just going in the past day or two.... You can read it here...

I ran into a similar problem this week with a box of some clothing shipped from the U.S. via DHL... Declared and real value about 1900 baht. Ended up having to pay a duty of 2000 baht.

In part, that's because, there's officially a 60% duty rate on imported clothing. But that's assessed not just against your value, but your value, plus 1% insurance charge, plus an additional formula-driven charge reflecting the shipping cost. Those three--CIF, Cost, Insurance, Freight--get added together and dutied. And then, on top of that, there's the 7% VAT. It's CRAZY!!!

But a few weeks back, I had a refurbished small-size MP3 player delivered via U.S. Postal Service/Thai Post. It was declared as "refurbished" and I listed the actual purchase price of about 1,800 baht. And it arrived with some forwarded mail in one large envelope unopened and undutied...

I believe it is true, things that are NOT NEW, like refurbished or "used", either don't get dutied or get dutied at a lower rate.

PS - Before any smart alecky type here says anything about why not buy here, I needed to buy clothes from the U.S. because I'm VERY tall, and there is no clothing store/supplier in Thailand that carries the size I need.

• 5 months later...

Just an add-on and update re this...

Happened to have another package delivered this past week, which included various documents and a special single item of clothing unavailable here at reasonable prices...

This package originated with U.S.P.S. and was delivered to my home via Thai Post. (No involvement by DHL/FedEx/UPS this time.) I declared the one clothing item valued at $15 U.S. (about 500b), and didn't mark it as a gift or sample...

The U.S.P.S. Global Priority envelope arrived unopened, reasonably on-schedule and the only fee involved was 7 baht for the Thai deliveryman... for what...I honestly don't know.

Begins to seem like regular mail shipments, even if they happen to be parcels, stand a better chance of making it thru without getting dutied to death compared to boxes shipped via the express couriers...