Do Thai Ladies Change Their Surname After The Wedded Day?

Gobbledoc

I can't see why they would unless they were to move to the West. Can't bring them any advantage here.

Mine did - I didn't ask her too but assumed she would. Advantage or disadvantage I don't know. But now her surname is about 38 letters shorter. :)

Mine too.

10 years later she still sometimes asks me if she should sign in English.

She practised it weeks before we married and discussed what the best way would be to write my name in thai-scripts.

Surely you must have had some documents with your name in Thai,

like a driving licence?

That will dictate the way of writing, so not much choice.

My wife changed her name immediately.

I can't see why they would unless they were to move to the West. Can't bring them any advantage here.

I note that most replies in this thread indicate that the ladies changed their surname, and did so immediately.

This doesn't surprise me as it was my experience also.

So I differ from your conclusion that "Can't bring them any advantage here"..........the advantage?............... PRESTIGE..............imho

Interesting conclusion. Mine kept hers for that very reason. I guess it depends.

We were also faced with the same surname change dilemma when she first came to the US and we got married 3 1/2 years ago. At that time we decided that it would be best for her to keep name because of the added paperwork it would cause when applying for US citizenship and the remote possiblilty (since laws can change) that it might cause problems down the road for the property she now owns or might want to buy in the future in Thailand.

She is now a US citizen and uses her legal name for signing legal and business documents however on an everyday basis she is known by Jamie (her americanized nickname) or Mrs. (my last name). This dual name thing has worked perfectly living here in the US as it has helped avoid confusion among casual acquaintances and it is much easier for people here to pronounce and remember her name. With her american type names and the fact that she speaks perfect english without any accent, people are totally surprised when they learn that she was not born in the US. The only reason I can think of that she might want to legally change her last name is if we someday have children.

Lannarebirth said "I can't see why they would unless they were to move to the West. Can't bring them any advantage here."

Yeah, thats what I was thinking, could easily go against her / us in the rip off department.

Gobbledoc,

With sufficient number of married years to say with certainty, from our viewpoint, anyway, there has been absolutely no negative impact from my wife having a western surname.

Now why did you say "rip off department"? It makes it sound as if you expect to be cheated in almost any transaction and that you would expect your wife to be cheated if she used your surname. Again, let me state that that neither when with me nor when by herself has my wife been treated any differently than she would have been with Thai surname. That includes buying property, voting, car registration, anything and everything to do with daily life.

Jetjock

My wife is a US citizen also, and what I have written here worked successfully for us both in the US and in Thailand. The difference for us might be that we married in Thailand before she had ever been to the U.S.

Lannabirth,

After a few years of marriage and the accumulation of stuff (houses, cars) and getting and renewing visas, etc., a couple having the same surname makes everything so much easier. Even if the spouse never leaves Thailand, I think a long term relationship benefits significantly from using the same surname. Paper (and computer) trails are very important.

One should look ahead 20, 30, 40 years and anticipate if it might make a difference. Maybe even just a few years out, a couple might decide to do something, go somewhere that having the same surname facilitates. We weren't smart enough to think ahead, my wife just changed to my surname and we lucked out from the beginning. Now if the couple doesn't plan on being together that long, never mind.

Jetjock

My wife is a US citizen also, and what I wrote her worked successfully for us both in the US and Thailand. However, we married in Thailand before she ever went to the US.

Edited by noise

I think some do, some dont

reasons vary

if the woman has significant assets in her own name, she might not (some also avoid the legal registration of marriage for that reason). property acquired in her maiden name remains hers. property acquired in her marriage name becomes joint property, regardless of even if she paid for it herself entirely. this applies not just to thai-foreign marriages, but also to thai-thai.

I dont know enough about what happens when thai woman is married to foreigner, whether she can still buy land. my previous understanding is that once she does, she somehow loses her thai rights. (discrimination.....but nothing new about women being discriminated the world over)

some change it legally, but retain maiden name professionally

...I dont know enough about what happens when thai woman is married to foreigner, whether she can still buy land. my previous understanding is that once she does, she somehow loses her thai rights. ...

I wonder if this will ever die. Has not been true for over 10 years now.

My changed her name immediately when we got married 9 years ago. Has had no impact at living in Thailand. Has others have said, buying land, voting, etc. Certainly no one has tried to cheat or rip her off just because she has a western surname. In fact, she has found she actually gets more respect and deference by being married to a farang.

Certainly made getting the various dependent visas as we lived in other countries simpler.

TH

I'm thinking about getting married to a Thai lady and wondered

Can I change my name to the new wife's surname? (it's a much more interesting name than mine)

In the UK you are allowed to change surnames either way or add both together.

I think ฟีลีปจนบำรุงนอก has a rather nice look to it!

PS

I can't believe it's been 20 posts and no other man though of taking on the Thai woman's name.

Edited by pjclark1

My wife changed her surname to mine but she payed a bribe to the lady at ampur so she could keep her old id card with her maiden surname :)
My understanding is that the house book and then the ID card are the basis for all futher legal paperwork within Thailand. So if she were to do anything offical like open a new bank account apply for or change a Passport she would need the ID in the correct name. If she wanted to keep an ID card in the old name she could just 'loose' it, I think the fee for a new card is 20 Baht ?
I dont know enough about what happens when thai woman is married to foreigner, whether she can still buy land. my previous understanding is that once she does, she somehow loses her thai rights. (discrimination.....but nothing new about women being discriminated the world over)
...I believe that this law was repealed some years ago.

PS. My wife choose to use a hyphenated last name and updated ID card and Passport etc..

Edited by Cuban

Mine didn't change her name and why would she - what a nightmare..passports/bank accounts/driving license etc the list is endless and knowing Thailand it would involve a lot of paperwork, signatures, meetings, time and money!

I'm sure there are a lot reasons why some do and some don't probably the poorer/younger the girl the less documentation she has in her current name so its easy to change but for someone with lots of official documents held in their name..why would they want to bother changing it officially.

Don't think its a big deal really..

Wife changed her name and all documentation relating to her old familt name. No problem.

I also felt better her having my surname (dont know why) now I need to arrange for the adoption of her daughter so she can have my surname, she already calls herself by it at school. Mum why cant have the same name as daddy and baby Jake, bless.

I'm thinking about getting married to a Thai lady and wondered

Can I change my name to the new wife's surname? (it's a much more interesting name than mine)

In the UK you are allowed to change surnames either way or add both together.

I think ฟีลีปจนบำรุงนอก has a rather nice look to it!

PS

I can't believe it's been 20 posts and no other man though of taking on the Thai woman's name.

Why would we when we can write our surnames in Thai if we want to already?

I dont know enough about what happens when thai woman is married to foreigner, whether she can still buy land. my previous understanding is that once she does, she somehow loses her thai rights.

cool if that has happened. I must look into it :) thanks for the heads up. I can be slow with things at times......

(and hence, Thaihome, my comment started with "I dont know enough......" not claiming that my understanding from many years ago is the correct info)

I dont know enough about what happens when thai woman is married to foreigner, whether she can still buy land. my previous understanding is that once she does, she somehow loses her thai rights.

cool if that has happened. I must look into it :D thanks for the heads up. I can be slow with things at times......

(and hence, Thaihome, my comment started with "I dont know enough......" not claiming that my understanding from many years ago is the correct info)

My comment was not meant to be an attack, you are just an example of what I meant that even after over 10 years, people are not sure or think woman can no longer own property.

:)

TH

My TW changed hers to mine 9 years ago. Her choice, she told me at the time it was mandatory but now I believe it is an option. There have been some good benefits in having her Farang surname in particular when it comes to Chanoots, well documented as to the hassles it has saved me in passed threads on this forum.

As a moderator on this forum I'd thought you would know better. We have 3 Chanoots in TW's married name (my Farang surname) going back near on 9 years.