Visa Run Help

I am from the UK and 52 years old. My intention is to marry a thai woman and stay in and around Udon Thani.

I have obtained 60 day tourist visa with 2 entries. In my ignorance I believed all I needed to get a 30 tourist extension was to visit Nong Khai and then reenter. I was under the impression I could do this time and again. However it seems I need evidence of leaving the country by way of air ticket to another country before any extension and before I would be allowed back into thailand.

I have read the various posts on this forum but the more I read the more confused I get.

I would be grateful for advice on how this visa run actually works in practise from Udon to Laos and any pitfalls which I would need to watch for.

Help!!!!! :o

Likite

All you need to do is visit local immigration and apply for a 30 day extension (fee 1900 baht) once this period is up then you will need to exit Thailand and re-enter (immediatly if you so wish) this will activate the 2nd entry of your tourist visa i.e you will recieve a further 60 days stay which in turn can be extended by 30 days at local immigration in Nong Khai.

Ive assumed you are approaching the end of your first 60 day stay.

You wont be asked for a ticket for either the 30 day extension or when you re-enter .

You do realise that you qualify for a "retirement" visa subject to meeting certain criteria dont you? This would give you a years stay subject to reporting to immigration every 90 days. Also when you marry you have

the option of staying a year at a time based upon marriage.

Edit have alook at this topic for an example of the extension form http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=30098

Edited by thaiflyer1

From your plans I will assume you do not have the 800k in the bank or pension of 65k per month to qualify for a long stay (retirement visa) and it also appears you can not meet the 400k in at Thai bank or 40k per month requirements for a support Thai wife extension of stay?

If both of the above are not an option you have the visa run (after you use your tourist visa as per thiflyer1 post) of leaving Thailand and return for a 30 day stay without visa but this may be stopped at any time so is not a good long term plan. The other option requires marriage and using that and id card of wife to obtain a non immigrant visa at an overseas consulate (best done in home country at small consulate) which allows 90 day visit to family and in some cases are issued for multi entry valid for one year - with that you need only exit/enter every 90 days.

If you can obtain paper from your embassy that you have 40k baht income per month and go with wife to immigration (either in Udorn or Nong Khai) to extend your stay on a yearly basis this would be the preferred option. Or use the 400k or 800k bank requirements.

Thanks Thaiflyer and lopburi3,

Thaiflyer I am still in the UK but will fly in next few days.

As I understand your post I have 60 days plus 30 days plus 60 days plus 30 days. Then i would then need to go over the border to Laos and then reenter? This would give a standard 30 day tourist or am i right in thinking I could apply at the Thai embassy in laos for a 60 day tourist visa with 2 entries and follow the same procedure again?

Doing all the above would this cause any immigration problems if I do marry and stay in Thailand with my wife?

Thanks for your help.

Likite

When you land in Bangkok you will use the first entry on your visa and recieve a 60 day stamp at the 59th day stage go to local immigration at Nong Khai? fill in the extension app form (you/ll need a passport pic and fee) they will give you a further 30 days stay stamp.

Once this 30 days are up you will need to "nip" over the border into Laos and then come back into Thailand using the 2nd entry on your visa......this gives you another 60 days stay which you can extend by 30 days again at local immigration.

Once this second lot of 90 days are up (60+30) you will either have to go to Vietiene in Laos and apply for another double entry tourist visa or alternativly border hop every 30 days............personally i/d go for the double entry visa, but its up to you.

As Lopburi states if you are going to be here permernantly you could really do with getting a one year stay extension based upon retirement or marriage (finances permitting).

Lastly i cant see you obtaining another tourist visa adversely affecting your stay in Thailand should you marry.

Edited by thaiflyer1