Small Domestic Counter Top Water Distiller

Trickcyclist

• 2 weeks later...

I went back and looked at the counter distillers in CM and they were about 18K baht. Ouch. At that price it would take about a 1 to 1.6 years to break even.

For now I have been getting the 20 liter containers of distilled for 250 baht at the medical supply place. They are kind of tough to carry or strap to a motorbike.

After just a week I feel really good. I think all the junk in reverse osmosis water really clogs up cellular respiration.

Keep us posted

I went back and looked at the counter distillers in CM and they were about 18K baht. Ouch. At that price it would take about a 1 to 1.6 years to break even.

For now I have been getting the 20 liter containers of distilled for 250 baht at the medical supply place. They are kind of tough to carry or strap to a motorbike.

After just a week I feel really good. I think all the junk in reverse osmosis water really clogs up cellular respiration.

Keep us posted

Hey that sounds interesting! Where is this medical supply place? I live in chiang mai.

Can i confirm what is actually meant by distilled water while we're on the topic? I recall reading that it was the best water one could drink, but it appeared to require me to collect the steam from my kettle, and at that point i thought i'd be spending my whole life getting distilled water, so i lost interest!

But i thought i'd read recently that reverse osmosis water was much better than drinking from the tap, i think it was in the context of say britain or america. What junk are you talking about?

Currently i buy those five/six litre bottles of minere mineral water which seem fine to me, but are not distilled.

It's the medical supply place at the junction of Suthep and Nimmanhemin road. The first time you buy a 20 liter container its 250 baht but when you bring the container back its only 100 baht for a refill. So 5 baht a liter which is not terribly more than the 1 baht RO water.

The RO water still has a lot of minerals in it which can congest the cells. Distilled water is just pure water which has a tendency to draw residue minerals out of the body. Some say you would not want to consume distilled all the time or it could leach minerals from the system. In the short term drinking distilled can be beneficial because larger micron size minerals can congest the transport pores of the cell. The removal of these larger inorganic minerals from the body helps the cells function better.

Some prefer Distilled water because its pure water while others think regular consumption of distilled should be occupanied by adding trace ionic minerals to the water. These trace ionic minerals are small enough to be transported into the cells as well as being organic which can be utilized.

Unfortunately I don't know where to buy ionic minerals in Thailand as I brought mine from the US. Anyway the ionic minerals are very inexpensive and maybe $20 usd's would be enough for a year.

The distilled versus Mineral water debate can get heated on health forums and not sure who is really right. I come down on the mineral water is just dissolved inorganic rocks which the body cannot use because they are both inorganic and too large for the cells to transport.

True quality mineral water is plenty healthy like we used to get from the mountain spring in Arizona but I kind of doubt 'Minere' water sold in Thailand is more than glorified tap or RO water. Also different springs or wells can have vastly different compositional contents.

There are other factors with water such as PH, Ionic charge etc.

Maybe someone knows more about the quality of various affordable water's sold in Thailand.

Thanks for the info.

I do recall that distilled water, being pure, was just like the rain water, and therefore to me it seems instinctively the best water to drink. I also read somewhere that you really don't need minerals in water because we get all we need from our foods, assuming we eat the right kinds that is!

Can you give some examples of trace ionic minerals? Are you talking about potassium for example? I'm just thinking that surely such nutrients are to be found in foods.

And i'm a bit confused about drinking distilled water and it only being good for you short-term. Do you meant that longer-term it might leach the minerals? Or was there another reason to not always drink distilled water?

"The RO water still has a lot of minerals in it which can congest the cells."

Is that what you meant by junk in RO water?

I have been using RO water from the water banks for boiling in the kettle, and the minere for drinking. I have to say that the minere tastes so much better than all other water, either from the banks or in plastic bottles at the supermarkets and shops.

Femi

RO water can have mineral imbalances as well as chemicals like pharma residues, industrial toxins etc as the RO process does not deal with them. They just start with tap water and run it thru a few RO filters and then zap it with UV or ozone if your lucky. Still leaves a lot to be desired.

Distilled is highly recommended for detoxing and cleaning the system. In addition to excess minerals and salts it is believed to remove chemicals and toxins.

I personally don't believe drinking distilled is bad long term but I would be remiss to not mention it because some smart people would also disagree.

Trace ionic minerals are made usually from processing sea water. There are a number of brands from Salt Lake in Utah. These minerals usually have everything in the spectrum(50+) and tend to be processed to be balanced. You can google and find lots of supplements. I personally use 'Concentrace Mineral drops'.

Yeah I tend to agree that we get plenty of minerals from our foods. For that matter some quality sea salt added to our foods is an excellent source. Lemon or Lime juice is another excellent water addition for minerals.

Thanks again mate for your time. I've for a year now been much more food-conscious about my diet, but when i started to look into water it got confusing at the time.

This RO stuff from water banks then, presumably anything bad in it will be boiled away if i use it in my kettle? Mind you, if there are industrial toxins and so on that doesn't sound like they can be boiled off. And are you talking about the water in the banks, or all the plastic bottled water? What is your understanding on this?

What benefits is your body getting from putting these trace ionic minerals in your water?

I have to admit i'm a bit excited about getting distilled water supplies, like i said i had been persuaded by it already, but not by the home process to obtain it!

"It's the medical supply place at the junction of Suthep and Nimmanhemin road."

Is that the same building that has the organic vegetables and so on in it? And, final question, promise! How do they make this water distilled? I guess it's using one of those expensive machines you talked about. There wouldn't be any chance of their machines getting serviced or cleaned on a less than ideal basis would there?!

Femi

Some things could be boiled away but RO and UV/Ozone are already good at removing things like bacteria and viruses. There are issues with plastics for any beverage. Other bottled water can have the toxins, pharma waste and inorganic large particle minerals. Just depends on the specific product. Some could be very good and some not good.

I have a friend who runs a water treatment consultancy in SEA and he wants to test various commercial products and print the results in his magazine but is hesitant because of the legal climate in Thailand. If he reports something unflattering he could be sued or even jailed. We may never really know the quality and safety of the many commerical waters.

Trace Ionic minerals are charged particles which are very small and easy to permeate cell membranes and utilized by the body. Mineral waters have variable mineral particle ranges but the significantly larger particles cannot transport the cell membrane and end up covering and congesting valuable external cell wall real estate.

Just drive south on Nimmanhemin and at the light its one block to the left (toward the old city). It's on the south (CNX airport side) south side of the street.

They sell medical supplies and you will see a lot of beakers and things in the window.

Not sure if this is the type of Small Domestic Counter Top Water Distiller you are looking for?

post-53473-1254411785_thumb.jpg

Although they call it a purifier, is that different to a distiller?

Not at home at the moment, and i cant recall the brand/model of the one we have, but its similar to the above pic.

We bought it for about 4,000 baht from a pharmacy health shop out in the provences.

I do remember it was being promoted by that "Giffarine" company I've heard about!

I have a friend who runs a water treatment consultancy in SEA and he wants to test various commercial products and print the results in his magazine but is hesitant because of the legal climate in Thailand. If he reports something unflattering he could be sued or even jailed. We may never really know the quality and safety of the many commerical waters.

Is there a way round this? Could he not do the testing and then get it disseminated through the media (eg citylife not so long ago did an article on tap vs non-tap waters in chiang mai), even through other people/agencies that already exist?

If he does the testing anyway but without publishing it, perhaps he can let you know, and then you can let us know!

It's the same old story, does an individual run counter to the status quo in the knowledge they have by trying to inform the greater public. I've just been poisoned by a major hospital here in chiang mai in the name of medicine, but since this medicine is prescribed in 100 countries, where do i stand?! And if i complain in a detailed written report do i compromise any future 'health' care i may need at this hospital?! If i don't, then the medicine continues to be given out... but even if i do, it will continue anyway!

Water is so important, in fact probably the most important substance after oxygen for the health of our bodies, we could really do with a good comprehensive test of the choices available to us.

testing water is fairly complicated. Testing for chemicals, drugs and hormones etc is costly. I don't think he will bother testing individual brands now. I think he is planning to test some different types of water and summarizing the results. Even if a brand is tested then the test is just for those particular samples. There could be significant fluctuations in quality from lot to lot or even bottle to bottle. The same problems exist for testing well or spring water as micro organisms grow, die and fluctuate constantly. It's far from simple.

With medicines it's even more complicated because humans can react so differently. It's really up to the physician to understand the possible toxicities and side effects and inform the patient to look for signs or perform periodic tests to look for possible troubles. If the medical services only supplied medicine that was 100% safe then they would not even offer Aspirin because it gives some people problems.

testing water is fairly complicated. Testing for chemicals, drugs and hormones etc is costly. I don't think he will bother testing individual brands now. I think he is planning to test some different types of water and summarizing the results. Even if a brand is tested then the test is just for those particular samples. There could be significant fluctuations in quality from lot to lot or even bottle to bottle. The same problems exist for testing well or spring water as micro organisms grow, die and fluctuate constantly. It's far from simple.

I was more thinking about tap water and perhaps the water banks, which presumably might not run into the same kinds of problems you mention about brand bottles.

On that score, would it be fair to surmise that boiled tap water (here in chiang mai) would make a good water for drinking, rather than say the brand bottles, be they with or without minerals? I shall certainly try out this distilled water which i'm excited about trying.

To add to your bit about medicine, and so it is for water too, it's nice for us to have the information available to us so we can make our own informed decisions. There's not enough of that information available, and hence we are lucky to have forums like these to help out. More information should be made readily.

TrickCyclist. BMX, Minibike or what?

Anyway saw this DIY water distiller . Obviously home distillation works for spirits or herbal tinctures. Why not a home made water distiller.

This guy used

a pressure cooker

radiator for cooling

some tubes. I would use higher quality than he did.

A heating coil or burner

a cooling fan

a collection jug

He spent about $100 USD in the states but I think it could be done for less in the LOS

I would run the distilled water thru a small micron carbon filter before consumption for taste and ultra purity.

In between water runs you could make moonshine

DIY water distiller

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie