3rd Class Rail Travel Regarding Thais.

baboon

My mother in law tells me that while 3rd class rail travel is still free for Thai nationals, a ticket is still needed. {despite the fact seats are not allocated and once again, they pay nothing] If they cannot produce a ticket upon inspection, a substantial fine is levvied. I refer to the Thonburi- Langsuan service in this case.

Yes, I have had a Chang or two, but I am struggling to see the POINT? Where an I going wrong here in suggesting the lunatics are taking over the asylum?

Please keep it civil....

Just guessing!!

Maybe, it's so they know how many people are on the train - incase of accident???

Maybe, they collect a revenue/credit from the government to show that the train service still has value????

Who knows?

Maybe, yes, but last year I used this train and I was the only one the inspectors moved in on.[for obvious reasons] None of my fellow passengers had any ticket of any description.In August I used the train again, saw the Thais producing tickets and assumed everyone had to pay again. It does seem rather odd. Upon asking some Thai friends, the response -"How long have you been here now? And you still dont get the fact we dont get it either?" Thank you for your reply, though.

Edited by baboon

My mother in law tells me that while 3rd class rail travel is still free for Thai nationals, a ticket is still needed. {despite the fact seats are not allocated and once again, they pay nothing] If they cannot produce a ticket upon inspection, a substantial fine is levvied. I refer to the Thonburi- Langsuan service in this case.

Yes, I have had a Chang or two, but I am struggling to see the POINT? Where an I going wrong here in suggesting the lunatics are taking over the asylum?

Please keep it civil....

I would guess it is so they would know how many people are traveling from A to B, notwithstanding that it is free to travel. No point having 300 hundred people turning to a carriage that holds 60 or so people. Just my guess anyway.

But why not use those clicketty counter things railway conductors use all over the world and make a note? The cars become dangerously overcrowded but the philosophy seems to be "If you can get on, we take you." Thank you for your post however.

Is it the same on the North routes?

Do you buy a ticket from Thonburi to Langsuan? or a ticket for the 8:15 from Thonburi to Langsuan???

If it is train specific, I would guess it is to ensure the train isn't over filled.

If it is just a day ticket, it might be to stop people living on the train where they have nowhere else to be...

At least it sounds more organised than the ferries.

I recently heard a Thai asking the boat dude when the ferry to Ko Si Chang left.

Boat dude: "เต็มออก" (Full go)

As it was a public holiday, "เต็ม" meant about 300 people crammed together under signs saing max. 50 passengers, and I spent the trip sitting on the engine and looking at a dustbin full of diesel.

3rd class train sounds much more civilised. :)

OK Not Thailand, but still odd.

Few years ago traveled by Train in Bulgaria and in Romania.... You go to the ticket counter and buy your ticket, but unknown to me the 1st time, when you get to the platform you have to go to a kiosk for someone to write down the seat number

11 hours 1st class and it appeared at every stop I was sat in someones seat and had to try to find another seat. the last 2 house had to stand as could not find a empty seat. :)

In addition to revenue safety and crwoding issues it doea off course preserve work for th unionised clerks

We recently had a pleasant youth arrive on a motor cycle with a water bill

I prepared to fork ut when my wife the invoice was for 0

rather like a bill I had from HSBC for 1 Uk penny I popped in and asked if theyd like an Abbey National Cheque (that would cost about 30p to process) or Id toss them for heads up

The deputy manager who was aware of my practice of wallpapering local bar with dud cheques decide to let me off

N doubt the entire breach in the Banking system ensued

A friend in Thonburi mentored me on arrival in LOS back in the far gone 20th cnetury before net etc

If you ask why in Thailand you will get a headache

I have found this the most useful caveat

Third class rail travel regarding Thais .......

My wife traveled by third class train last year. She had to get a ticket from the ticket counter.

She just told me the data included on the ticket was just the same as a paying ticket : destination, approximate departure and arrival time, coach number. May be there were more data included, she could not remember.

Data from each station is submitted to the central department over a period of time so the government knows how much help it has given to the Thai population.

No-ticket situation.

What non ticket ?? In India there is no free ride in Train. its just that people ignore the tickets and the ticket checker don't want to risk of being mobbed XD

Thailand Railway have extensive reports of all the data about the trains and stations . Its computerized and they would like to know how many people travel for free and how many pay for the tickets, Lot of things depend on these data, like budgeting for the free coaches and the requirements for free coach ,etc . when some one without ticket board the train in a second class coach and changes coach to a Third Class just when the ticket checker comes he will be caught or something more complicated like that. I makes sense both ways. Government bureaucracy is a complex machine no one can try to understand it without completely understanding the people it serves .

edit: spelling and stuff

Edited by shriah