• Charlie's
    • Rose Guest House
    • UN Irish Pub
    • West
    • Duke's
    • Pun Pun, on the river

This poll is closed to new votes

Just when we thought this thread was dead.......... :):D:D:D:D

no such luck. i'm touring Thailand in quest of the ultimate fish and chips. so far i've found a pretty good one in Hua Hin but the best is still at my house.

You will find that with all foods if you want it correct do it at home. :D You will find some restaurants that are close but you will never find it consistent in Thailand. I personally fell that western fair is far superior in Pattaya, Bangkok, Hua Hin and Phuket with Chang Mai in fifth place. Now if that doesn't open up the flood gate....... :D

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the map to Charlie's, i'd never have found it without that and the GPS. those sois a bit narrow for a 4WD pictup truck BTW!

the F&C was pretty good, 9 out of 10 i'd say. but the fish did taste a bit frozen; fresh sea fish is one advantage we beach dwellers have over you northerners.

I have heard that the UN Irish Pub Fish and Chips has the biggest piece of fish in town besides Pun Pun, but they have french fries insead of English chips and supply red wine vinegar instead of malt vinegar.

They use John Dorry for fish which seems a pretty good substitute for Cod, but it is also much cheaper, so the price is more reasonable. It was not the best that I have had, but it was enjoyable.

for the newbees in town, i.e. me, can you tell me where to find some of these, especially charlie's

thx steve

Here is the link to Charlie`s web site.

http://ccfc.food.officelive.com/default.aspx

All details on there, including location map and his movie.

Good web site although I don`t agree with all that nudity. Those girls are far too young.

Edited by sassienie

• 4 weeks later...
Charlie makes the best fish & chips and is the most welcoming host in Chiang Mai.

The food, atmosphere and friendliness are top quality. Farangs actually speak with each other at Charlie's.

Others may try to copy, but Charlie has a wealth of experience and that can't be beaten.

I tried Charlies for the first time last night (through meals on wheels) and was SHOCKED to get 15 chips with the fish! I also ordered an extra portion of chips and got 22 - that is NOT value for money in anyones book! (180 Baht!) never again...

Charlie makes the best fish & chips and is the most welcoming host in Chiang Mai.

The food, atmosphere and friendliness are top quality. Farangs actually speak with each other at Charlie's.

Others may try to copy, but Charlie has a wealth of experience and that can't be beaten.

I tried Charlies for the first time last night (through meals on wheels) and was SHOCKED to get 15 chips with the fish! I also ordered an extra portion of chips and got 22 - that is NOT value for money in anyones book! (180 Baht!) never again...

I don't go to Charlies anymore for the same reason. This poll and thread is not helpful for people wanting good information. Best to ignore all posts from posters and visit the places yourself. I prefer Piggys at 120 baht with real beer batter and good size fish but as I say try these establishments yourself.

I don't go to Charlies anymore for the same reason. This poll and thread is not helpful for people wanting good information. Best to ignore all posts from posters and visit the places yourself. I prefer Piggys at 120 baht with real beer batter and good size fish but as I say try these establishments yourself.

Probably good advice. Trying it yourself that is.

Depending on the size of each 15 - 22 chips could be a good size portion. If they were or were french fry size maybe not, but the wedges with peel on, could be a healty portion....... If not it still leaves more room for the fish.

Trying each place out for yourself is not bad advice. We've made some nice new customers and friends over this little post and all seems well. Anyhow it was good hearty fun

gonzo

G

Edited by Gonzo the Face

Depending on the size of each 15 - 22 chips could be a good size portion. If they were or were french fry size maybe not, but the wedges with peel on, could be a healty portion....... If not it still leaves more room for the fish.

Trying each place out for yourself is not bad advice. We've made some nice new customers and friends over this little post and all seems well. Anyhow it was good hearty fun

gonzo

G

Well... they were tasty but not enough of them! it's an English establishment? in UK we get huge portions - they are only potatos so 'import tax' doesn't apply - I was quite shocked... in fact I shreaked in HORROR! I've heard or portion control but it was ridiculous - and expensive!

gonzo

G

Well... they were tasty but not enough of them! it's an English establishment? in UK we get huge portions - they are only potatos so 'import tax' doesn't apply - I was quite shocked... in fact I shreaked in HORROR! I've heard or portion control but it was ridiculous - and expensive!

many posters here are looking at it from the business angle. so it makes good sense for them to cut portion sizes and improve the margin. given the low cost of labour here, margins are higher than the uk. roughly do the sums yourself.

from a consumer point of view, do a tasting at different establishments and, as you have done, compare portion size and price, and ( a point you did not mention) check out the fish and batter quality.

i would like to see more posts from real customers who have no axes to grind. wishful thinking i suppose

I have been disappointed by small portions of chips at a couple of places. I much rather pay more for a filling portion and I rather pay for real cod.

The more places I try, the more I think that 2 decent pieces of cod and a fair portion of fries at the Rose guesthouse is about the best one can do around here from my point of view.

If you do not care about cod fish, the Pun Pun, The Red Lion, the UN Irish Pub and the Duke's all offer decent portions of nice fish and last but not least, we all know that Charlie's and Piggy's both did very well in the poll. thumbsup.gif

Edited by Ulysses G.

i would like to see more posts from real customers who have no axes to grind. wishful thinking i suppose

No not wishful thinking at all. Nobody is more objective than myself when I go eating. I have eaten fish and chips at all the establishments in the poll bar Dukes, and found them all of an acceptable standard. I just preferred Piggys on account of the chips, they were just as I like them. I hate crispy chips :)

I ate at the Palad Tawanron the other night, and as always the setting is stunning. Service is of a good standard, and the food was also good, althought not what I would call exceptional. Prices a little on the high side, but a great place to get away from it all.

Edit....I take not notice of poll results, and believe you have to try it out yourself, and form your own opinion.

Edited by Maejo Man

No not wishful thinking at all. Nobody is more objective than myself when I go eating. I have eaten fish and chips at all the establishments in the poll bar Dukes, and found them all of an acceptable standard. I just preferred Piggys on account of the chips, they were just as I like them. I hate crispy chips :)

I ate at the Palad Tawanron the other night, and as always the setting is stunning. Service is of a good standard, and the food was also good, althought not what I would call exceptional. Prices a little on the high side, but a great place to get away from it all.

Edit....I take not notice of poll results, and believe you have to try it out yourself, and form your own opinion.

Were the Fish and Chips good? :D

I have been disappointed by small portions of chips at a couple of places. I much rather pay more for a filling portion and I rather pay for real cod.

The more places I try, the more I think that 2 decent pieces of cod and a fair portion of fries at the Rose guesthouse is about the best one can do around here from my point of view.

If you do not care about cod fish, the Pun Pun, The Red Lion, the UN Irish Pub and the Duke's all offer decent portions of nice fish and last but not least, we all know that Charlie's and Piggy's both did very well in the poll. thumbsup.gif

Let's throw a new name into the pan and see if it sizzles!

Fish and chips are one of the good value items on the menu of the new SNAX at NIM City Daily, the odd name for the pleasant area of Rimping-near-the-airport.

Not to be confused with the tiny chippy with the tinier portions to the left side of Rimping's entrance, SNAX is the new name of the former Kinlen to the right side (ie next to Wine Connection and closer to the main road).

Run by Jeremy, an exec chef from England with experience in Aus and the Maldives, this place has lower prices than the coffee shop on the corner and faster service. You can get a small steak for under 150b.

Unexpectedly from a Brit, the chips are french fries, but there are plenty of them. The fish seems to vary in size a bit, plate to plate, but properly cooked, served with tartar sauce and very tasty.

Go see and compare......

• 1 month later...

Thanks, Charlie. After months of watching this absurdly complicated issue play out on the forum, I was happy to finally have an opportunity to visit and have dinner.

Yes, it's expensive, but it was more than I could eat and all very well-prepared and well-presented.

post-91669-1263225380_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Charlie. After months of watching this absurdly complicated issue play out on the forum, I was happy to finally have an opportunity to visit and have dinner.

Yes, it's expensive, but it was more than I could eat and all very well-prepared and well-presented.

Have you tried other establishments for comparison, Ansel. :)

caf

Have some business in the town and I was at Charlie`s restaurant today.

For the quality and amount of food he serves, I wouldn`t consider Charlie`s expensive. It`s not just the food I like but also the friendliness of everyone who works there and the customers. My God, Farangs actually talk with you at Charlie`s.

Anyway, I met this very attractive Israeli bird in there, who was a customer. We began chatting and tomorrow I am taking her for a tour around Chiang Mai. Strictly Kosher of course, unless I get lucky.

Will be eating at Charlie`s again soon.

Here`s his web site address again:

Yep, glad I discovered, Charlie`s.

For the quality and amount of food he serves, I wouldn`t consider Charlie`s expensive. It`s not just the food I like but also the friendliness of everyone who works there and the customers. My God, Farangs actually talk with you at Charlie`s.

Anyway, I met this very attractive Israeli bird in there, who was a customer. We began chatting and tomorrow I am taking her for a tour around Chiang Mai. Strictly Kosher of course, unless I get lucky.

Are you actually Charlie posting in disguise? I suspect you are from the times you are bumping this thread for some free advertising. Troll.

Are you actually Charlie posting in disguise? I suspect you are from the times you are bumping this thread for some free advertising. Troll.

Maybe not Charlie but one of his friends. Another long time TV member who has opened yet a new account since the exact same text always comes up on these threads. I think the guy is his marketing rep or something.

Maybe not Charlie but one of his friends. Another long time TV member who has opened yet a new account since the exact same text always comes up on these threads. I think the guy is his marketing rep or something.

I eat at Charlie's everyday, he is such a great guy, Charlie's fish & chips are packed with vitamins and are so cheap.

When I eat at Charlies I normally pick up some cracking young western chick's who are impressed that I know Charlie and also love his fish & Chips.

Charlie's is fine dining at it's best, it is the best ever restaurant I've eaten at ever.

I love Charlie I would sleep with him if I could, but he won't let me :)

You should eat there otherwise you are stupid.

Ten Charlie Facts

1. Charlie is related to Jesus

2. Charlie is a mammal

3. Charlie speaks 12 languages fluently

4. The British Queen endorses Charlies Fish & Chips and eats there frequently

5. so does Nelson Mandela

6. Charlie was raised by a family of cod

7. Charlie is a ninja

8. Charlie is short for Charles

9. Charlie doesn't like being called Charles

10. Charlies is very very cheerful

I just ran into Charlie, and he clearly stated he hadn't been on the forum to see his photo, but had heard it wasn't half bad.

As for my future dining experiences in Chiang Mai, I seriously doubt I'll be looking for more fish and chips. I'm not averse to them, but wouldn't come half-way around the world to eat them. Charlie's sort of fell in my lap the first day I was here. I strolled south from the hotel and immediately began seeing his handbills on every utility pole. After watching this thread with great amusement for so long, I felt compelled to submit to fate, and my meanderings north of Loi Kroh soon brought me face to face with the man himself.

What's with "mushy peas" anyhow?