Rain

gotlost

2010-04-22_TopChart_13.jpg2010-04-22_13_UpperWind600m.jpg

I will have to revise my A-Level geography...

this chart shows a front!! Whooppiee! I think i recognise that!

but which way is it moving! do those weather arrows point the direction? Do the feathers at the end show where its coming from, like a wather vane. I think thats right? anyone?

If it moves down here, we have some action!!

SEch2.jpg

Edited by whiterussian

Unfortunately that appears to be a "stationary" front. The symbols also unfortunately do not form a vane but the feathers are on the side of the direction from; each full feather being 10 knots of wind and half feathers 5.

Thank you cloudhopper, I will do some research when I get a mo!!

How can you tell from the pic that it is stationary, if you have time..

because its trapped between two systems?

thank you!

Back in the UK, I never had to worry about weather maps... always seemed so pointless, "a chance of rain" for 364 days of the year...

Hows the weather in Pai? hot n sticky, or does your river chill things out?

Edited by whiterussian

Those red half-discs are the symbol for a warm front - you can see a small one E of that low near Japan. The blue triangles mean a cold front, which can also be seen around the very same low before it deteriorates into the stationary front SW as indicated by both symbols on opposite sides. Also notice that the winds are shown spiraling anti-clockwise around and in toward that same low off southern Japan.

Still hot and smoky up here sorry to report...

The redshirts in Bangkok have started the reign ceremony early this year

http://journals.worldnomads.com/worldfesti...post/32422.aspx

rocket.jpg

In Southeast Asia the rain dance isn’t dead, it’s just been juiced up with some high-powered bamboo rockets. The pre-Buddhist rain ceremony can be one of the wildest festivals in Laos or northeastern Thailand, with music, dance, folk theatre. Processions and general merrymaking. On the third and final day, bamboo rockets are launched into the sky in an attempt to kick-start the rainy season and bring much-needed water to the rice fields.

I only wish it HAD been rain that was soaking my front yard when I got home from Thailand. As it turned out I had a broken water pipe between the meter and my home. It cost me $2600 (83,200 baht) to get it fixed. I lost my front lawn, a pretty fish pond and 3 lovely rhododendrons in the process. Now I have to start all over with a huge landscaping project.

Plumbing_leak_1.sized.jpg

Plumbing_leak_6.sized.jpg

The only good thing is I had enough money in the bank to cover it. Thank heavens I always put enough away to cover a rainy day.

Blue sky, sun shining on the temple, and a garden full of leaves, debris and shredded banana palms from last night's gale. I'm actually beginning to believe my old mate Gonzo :)

only 31 more days to go......

6AM This morn was just beautiful..... a bit of coolness in the moderate breeze..... I could have almost convinced myself that today was the day...... but now at about noon....... I just don't think so....maybe in Bkk

....and MM, what ever happened to the good ole days when washing ones car was about as close to a guarantee of rain as you could get

Edited by Gonzo the Face

6AM This morn was just beautiful..... a bit of coolness in the moderate breeze..... I could have almost convinced myself that today was the day...... but now at about noon....... I just don't think so....maybe in Bkk

Gonzo, I want some of what you're smoking. It was 27°C/81°F this morning, the warmest morning of the year so far, I think.

Today's weather

Last 7 days (too hard to link the rest of the year)

Gonzo, I want some of what you're smoking. It was 27°C/81°F this morning, the warmest morning of the year so far, I think.

Today's weather

Last 7 days (too hard to link the rest of the year)

I agree with Gonzo, lovely & cool this morning, coolest for a week or so.  Even did some digging in the garden  :D

Just been outside to move some sprinklers, it's a furnace out there  :)

Black clouds, strong wind, 10 degree drop in temperature, thunder and lightening, and ....................IT'S RAINING!!!!!

Nice steady shower for 20 minutes so far on the west side. No watering tonight!