Rain

gotlost

Hail storm just swept thru Mae Rim, huge gusts of wind too. Luckily no trees down around the house (Like last year) Storm front looks to be heading towards Mae Jo and possibly swing into Chiang Mai proper.

Very nice drop in temperature too

• Like 2

Massively gusting wind on the riverside a couple of hours ago, but no precipitation to go with it. Lots of unsecured stuff flying around at ground level, so let's all remember not to leave anything lying around.

Strange weather, seems to be very localized/localised. I was in CM yesterday and same thing occurred then.....strong winds but very little rain. And as said, CM could do with a decent downpour.

Very nice in Mae Rim now. You can just about see the greenery starting to come thru..... a couple of days and we might even have grass on the lawn again.

Strange weather, seems to be very localized/localised. I was in CM yesterday and same thing occurred then.....strong winds but very little rain. And as said, CM could do with a decent downpour.

Very nice in Mae Rim now. You can just about see the greenery starting to come thru..... a couple of days and we might even have grass on the lawn again.

Another odd thing - at this time of year we get very strong winds/storms coming from the north, usually but not always followed by a good lashing of tropical rain. Both yesterday and today those winds have been from the south or west, not sure which but definitely not from the north as it blows straight onto our balcony and through the main bedroom windows. I was prepared and brought everything in and closed the windows but not really necessary.

Nasty storm here in Banwangtan tonight....lost power for nearly 4 hrs....

Ye sure was, half my neighbours trees are now ours.Love the rain but the wind does so much damage and creates so much mess.Might be one of those seasons.

I'm sure I checked a couple of web sites yesterday afternoon and don't remember storms /strong wind being mentioned.

Anybody know, or seen, where you can buy a barometer ?

Ye sure was, half my neighbours trees are now ours.Love the rain but the wind does so much damage and creates so much mess.Might be one of those seasons.

I'm sure I checked a couple of web sites yesterday afternoon and don't remember storms /strong wind being mentioned.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/815105-tropical-storms-hail-to-affect-thailand-this-week/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/815435-thai-meteorological-dept-warns-of-tropical-rainstorms/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/816085-tropical-storms-forecast-during-songkran-holidays/

Anybody know, or seen, where you can buy a barometer ?

TMD Chiang Rai radar showed the early storm build and dissipate over Mae Rim and we could see the later cells building in the north & western sky.

This is a very strange storm. Just as you think it has passed it seems to come back again. Two times now and looks like maybe a third, very weird.

Not just one storm but several cells. Each one generates wind as it begins to dump rain and gusts move out like ripples on a pond. Imagine throwing a handful of pebbles in a pond and watch as ripples collide.

Expect more wild storms like this over the coming weeks. JMA sat pics with rainfall overlay and WorldWeatherOnline/Sanya maps give a fair indication of what to expect.

I am very relieved at the frequent rains, this week. I believe we got wet 3 times in seven days (San Sai). We heard so much about smog and hot, dry weather, that I feared the worst...especially near Songkran. It was actually quite comfortable, when I awoke at 5 am, with just a fan (no need for aircon at night). Only for three nights this season, was I so hot that I turned on the aircon . I guess we are acclimatized. Went for a nice walk at Huay Tueng Tao (CM Beach) at sunrise...never broke a sweat. There are still a few uncomfortable hours later on in the day...but I open my patio and just use a fan. Not unpleasant inside.

I suppose this is all quite unusual...as I was told not to stay here during this time of year....but to my surprise...it was not bad at all.

Now we get excited when the clouds gather and the wind picks up, in the later afternoon. Learned to close the upstairs windows. It's a huge house with 8 outside doors to check, and 20 windows...to shutter. Takes me 30 minutes to lock the hatches and shutters, take down umbrellas, make sure the laundry is in, and move bicycles/scooters. Many false alarms...but once i left my laptop on my bed, (the only window left open in the house), to find it destroyed by water. That was a few years ago back in Udon.

Edited by slipperylobster

I am very relieved at the frequent rains, this week. I believe we got wet 3 times in seven days (San Sai). We heard so much about smog and hot, dry weather, that I feared the worst...especially near Songkran. It was actually quite comfortable, when I awoke at 5 am, with just a fan (no need for aircon at night). Only for three nights this season, was I so hot that I turned on the aircon . I guess we are acclimatized. Went for a nice walk at Huay Tueng Tao (CM Beach) at sunrise...never broke a sweat. There are still a few uncomfortable hours later on in the day...but I open my patio and just use a fan. Not unpleasant inside.

I suppose this is all quite unusual...as I was told not to stay here during this time of year....but to my surprise...it was not bad at all.

Now we get excited when the clouds gather and the wind picks up, in the later afternoon. Learned to close the upstairs windows. It's a huge house with 8 outside doors to check, and 20 windows...to shutter. Takes me 30 minutes to lock the hatches and shutters, take down umbrellas, make sure the laundry is in, and move bicycles/scooters. Many false alarms...but once i left my laptop on my bed, (the only window left open in the house), to find it destroyed by water. That was a few years ago back in Udon.

You must have caste iron lungs if you consider the air pollution in Chiang Mai 'not bad at all'.

Either that or you are the Chiang Mai Governor who is in denial.

I am seriously considering a move to the seaside.

You must have caste iron lungs if you consider the air pollution in Chiang Mai 'not bad at all'.

Smog was pretty bad on some days...but it seemed the rain helped. I am not saying there are no problems...

What I did say was that I was expecting it to be a lot worse.....I thought I would not be able to handle it.

Perhaps damage already done in the lungs...but it seemed only 4 or 5 weeks of badness. I would like to check the air quality today...and will now do that, online.

ok...says moderate. not dangerous. a bit hazy outside, but no side effects as far as burning eyes, or burning lungs. I suppose much the same as any city in california.

Smog was pretty bad on some days...but it seemed the rain helped. I am not saying there are no problems...

What I did say was that I was expecting it to be a lot worse.....I thought I would not be able to handle it.

Perhaps damage already done in the lungs...but it seemed only 4 or 5 weeks of badness. I would like to check the air quality today...and will now do that, online.

ok...says moderate. not dangerous. a bit hazy outside, but no side effects as far as burning eyes, or burning lungs. I suppose much the same as any city in california.

I check the air quality by looking out the window. If I can't see Doi Suthep the air quality no bloody good and today it is no bloody hood.

I check the air quality by looking out the window. If I can't see Doi Suthep the air quality no bloody good and today it is no bloody hood.

Not so bad in san sai. I can just about make it out. However...last place I lived was just south of Los Angeles, where the sky turns green, with smog and chemicals. This is quite nicer.

• Like 1

Beautiful steady rain.....going strong in San Sai for over half an hour now. Some brightness shining through.

Boy across the street was waiting with his water canon...all day...for me to walk by....now he ran inside.

I am......Working smarter...not harder.

5 minutes later.

Sun now trying to break through...thunder all around....bright, and then dark.. still steady. I actually feel a chill in front of my fan.

Sitting inside my front parlour in my Lazy boy chair....double wide glass doors open...fish pond splattering away in front. I got a whole bunch of new koi eggs ready to break loose.

Ok ..not fun...but a real comfortable late afternoon squall.... Just made a sizzling bratwurst on an italien bun....fried lightly (bread and sausage) in olive oil. Chopped olives and dijon mustard and a tad of mayo

• Like 2

Massive gusts of estimated 65 to 75 kmph hit ban wangtan about 30 minutes ago, power now out, but no rain yet.

TMD radar shows the main cell moving down from sansai so we might get rain shortly. Keep the hatches battened down as other storm cells are moving around the province.

• Like 2

Massive gusts of estimated 65 to 75 kmph hit ban wangtan about 30 minutes ago, power now out, but no rain yet.

TMD radar shows the main cell moving down from sansai so we might get rain shortly. Keep the hatches battened down as other storm cells are moving around the province.

Can you post a link to tmd radar, please. My bookmark shows it as not working.

Cheers.