Rain

gotlost

Hammering down in Banwangtan,Hang Dong now with the full bit, lightening, thunder, wind but most importantly heavy rain

Will it never stop!

One of the heaviest rainfalls, in such a short period of time , we have had in our 6 years here ,its just easing now ,our soi is like a river ,trees/branches blown down, big clean up tomorrow

Rain eased 15 minutes ago but still running 100mm deep in soi's around our place ... all draining to khlong nicely. Won't have to water garden for a day or 2 :)

20150324_171132.jpg

• Like 1

Agree, about 10 degree Celsius cooler now and clean air. Can even see the hills with out all the haze. Sun is back to a yellow color and will set that way instead of the last few weeks, when it was red.

Marvelous outside now

• Like 1

Agree, about 10 degree Celsius cooler now and clean air. Can even see the hills with out all the haze. Sun is back to a yellow color and will set that way instead of the last few weeks, when it was red.

Marvelous outside now

More showers tomorrow.

• Like 1

re

We're DOOMED!!!

downtown bangkok got it bad this afternoon but i got my new

48 page british passport at trendy

applied at trendy the 6th mar

picked it up today smile.png

pic 1 .. don muang airport 12 55 today

pic 2 .. floods near the trendy office

pic 3 .. floods outside the trendy office

pic 4 .. floods on soi 4 nana plaza

dave2 ... a very happy man !

ps .. its now a toss up between going to phnom penn or myanmar to avoid the thai songkran madness sad.png

post-42592-0-09205800-1427199884_thumb.j

post-42592-0-80450500-1427199952_thumb.j

post-42592-0-41236500-1427199989_thumb.j

post-42592-0-38118400-1427200030_thumb.j

re

We're DOOMED!!!

ps .. its now a toss up between going to phnom penn or myanmar to avoid the thai songkran madness sad.png

Forget PP as Cambodia also celebrates Songkran and the city is as empty as it was during the Pol Pot era as everyone returns to their villages.

There is a small coffee shop next to my office and it has a large concrete Koi pond outside but under a roof. Came in this morning to see that all the Koi died. These are large 30-40cm+ mature Koi. Apparently due to the rain so suspect the PH factor of the water changed suddenly. Acid rain from the polluted air or run off with dirt washing in? Sad to see as they were beautiful.

re

We're DOOMED!!!

Forget PP as Cambodia also celebrates Songkran and the city is as empty as it was during the Pol Pot era as everyone returns to their villages.

So does Myanmar where it's called Thingyan.

There is a small coffee shop next to my office and it has a large concrete Koi pond outside but under a roof. Came in this morning to see that all the Koi died. These are large 30-40cm+ mature Koi. Apparently due to the rain so suspect the PH factor of the water changed suddenly. Acid rain from the polluted air or run off with dirt washing in? Sad to see as they were beautiful.

Same with ours the run off from our house roof goes straight into the pond. We are also on the southwards flight path.

Koi are pretty hardy but I guess it was a toxic mix they couldn't handle and I feel guilty not covering the pool and washing the roof down before the rain came...lesson learned.

Same with ours the run off from our house roof goes straight into the pond. We are also on the southwards flight path.

Koi are pretty hardy but I guess it was a toxic mix they couldn't handle and I feel guilty not covering the pool and washing the roof down before the rain came...lesson learned.

Another possibility is thermal shock, if the pond is warm as it would be in the hot weather, a sudden deluge of cold rain water could kill.

re

the klongs were used for getting from point A to B was known as the "Venice of Asia"

the klong water taxis are still running smile.png

pic taken 3 mar 15 !

dave2

Yes I know Dave used to catch them every day.Its a ride you would pay a lot of money for at a theme park.Getting on and off can be a challenge and many people finish up in the drink which are no more than open sewers.But over the years up to nearly 50 %of the original klongs have been made obsolete due to build up of sediment and weeds.There are a couple of place where buildings have actually built over them.Peak hours you really have to hang on .t's not for the faint hearted or physically impaired.

There was a half hearted attempt some time ago to expand the services and dredge more minor klongs but the water taxi mafia stepped in and said we like it the way it is.Never has the potential of moving vast numbers people in uncrowded waterways been realised.

I have an old friend in Bangkok ,she is 93 and has lived in the area all her life,she told me they used to travel by their own very small boat to the markets and the water was clean enough to swim in and of course that was where their washing was done.There's a link to it somewhere,will try to find it.

The amount of airborne filth that washed down from our roof with last night's rain was depressing to see, given that we've been breathing it in on a daily basis.

Get depressed for lack of water
Get depressed for so harmful fumes for our little lungs.
Then get depressed for rain not clean enough
Get depressed again for too much rain
Get depressed ...
sad.pngsad.pngsad.png

re

We're DOOMED!!!

Phnom Penh gets my vote, been a few years since I visited the place but still good memories...... wish I could head off too, just to avoid the madness here.

re

We're DOOMED!!!

Phnom Penh gets my vote, been a few years since I visited the place but still good memories...... wish I could head off too, just to avoid the madness here.

The CM "water warriors" will be a long shortly to tell us what a fantastic time Songkran is in CM is. TAT will be literally wetting their pants with the influx of tourists.

People will be on the drink and driving with the usual high number of deaths and 1,000's hospitalised. For some of us, who will be labelled as boring old fart,s its leave the car at home and wait for it all to end !

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

No Winnie it was not a dream. Here in the Meechok area it was raining on and off for a couple of hours. And I can still hear thunder in the distance. Our electricity supply is very unstable. Some lights in the house are on but flickering, the fridge is hardly able to operate its compressor and the electric gate will not work. Looks like the main supply upgrade we had in our area a few weeks ago has encountered some problems thanks to the storm. But the rain is very welcome nevertheless.

Last night after 1 am, I heard the pitter-patter of rain on the windows in the Huey Kaew/KSK area. Stuck my head out the condo window and sure enough there was a light rain going and the smell of a damp city. But the city didn't really look damp, just slightly moist. It was too early for the after-bar crowd to be out on their motorcycles, so couldn't judge what it was doing to driving. Didn't want to stay up to find out. Went to bed and left the cats in charge of staring out the window, but they aren't talking this morning. Certainly hasn't improved the view of Doi Suthep much.

Re

Certainly hasn't improved the view of Doi Suthep much.

Shes right :( .... pic taken 10 minits ago !

Dave2

Ps ... yangon in myanmar won the avoid the songkran madness contest .. e visa .. plane ticket and hotel booked .. sorted :) i leave on 11 .. back on 18

post-42592-0-35310100-1428457107_thumb.j

• Like 2

Last night after 1 am, I heard the pitter-patter of rain on the windows in the Huey Kaew/KSK area. Stuck my head out the condo window and sure enough there was a light rain going and the smell of a damp city. But the city didn't really look damp, just slightly moist. It was too early for the after-bar crowd to be out on their motorcycles, so couldn't judge what it was doing to driving. Didn't want to stay up to find out. Went to bed and left the cats in charge of staring out the window, but they aren't talking this morning. Certainly hasn't improved the view of Doi Suthep much.

The night was..........moist? (Throw mama from the train)

As far as those cats...im sure a little catnip can loosen those tongues up.....

Are you sure it was a pitter--patter?....im not far from you and i swore i heard a patter--pitter....

As far as doi shutep..agreed...**cough** wai2.gif

Here we go, the real first huge storm, in Lamphun, today at 5PM. Lightning and winds ... hope this will go to Chiangmai

Enjoy and be safe

Ph.

We just got the wind part of it about 30 minutes ago but no rain so far.

Never mind! At least we can see the mountains again!w00t.gif