Rain

gotlost

Can anyone remember this amount of rain in January ? Only been here 6 years so need a long timers memory but just come back from Mae Hia Market and some local roads around my area in Hang Dong are 4-6 inches under water with guys trying to clear blocked drains.

Can anyone remember this amount of rain in January ? Only been here 6 years so need a long timers memory but just come back from Mae Hia Market and some local roads around my area in Hang Dong are 4-6 inches under water with guys trying to clear blocked drains.

Think you stated the problem...... we have not had any where near enough rain to cause flooding like that..... Drains blocked is probably the real reason, Or maybe the problem is the new dam south of the city is preventing the city from flooding so you get it instead. not likely...

If I am not mistaken it has been raining almost non-stop for the last 23 hours. At least around Nimmen it started around 14:30 yesterday, and while it did stop for it a little while, it soon picked up again and hasn't stopped. But perhaps it stopped overnight and I didn't notice.

Once you've been here a long time, it's hard enough trying to remember what you did last week, let alone something like several years ago sad.png

Once you have been here a longer time, you won't care to bother trying to remember.

Not in the 25 years that I've been here. Rain like this, (on and off all day and night) is what normally only happens in late August/September. Other than then, Chiang Mai rain is the 'get it all over and done with in an hour' type of rain. It's hardly stopped in the last 24 hours.

2011, rain started early, never got any pollution, Songkran was freezing. Though I may be mistaken, it may have begun in February.

Usually have a bit of rain sporadically through the cool season, though its not usually like this.

22 years here and don't remember a January with this amount and continuity of rain. Historical stats for January in Chiang Mai.

Precipitation

The average monthly amount of precipitation has been recorded at around 3 mm, that's 0 inches. Throughout the month you can expect to see rain or drizzle falling on 1 days of the month.

post-566-0-70289000-1420809199_thumb.jpg

Once you've been here a long time, it's hard enough trying to remember what you did last week, let alone something like several years ago sad.png

Know what you mean.9 years in Bangkok working and brain functioning and 6 years in CM retired its closed down.Its the retirement that does it. My lovely Thai wife has suggested I wear a name tag in case I get lostlaugh.png

• Like 1

Normally I am not a rain loving person, but I do not dislike this recent rain at all...... In all my years here on the river, I have not seen it down so low.

The normal level reading at the Narrawat Bridge reading point [on-line] is 1.35. Recently its been under 1.10 and I saw it as low as 0.96,,,,, and this is supposedly right after the rainy season. There are going to be some serious drought problems in a couple months.

G

Edited by Gonzo the Face
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Normally I am not a rain loving person, but I do not dislike this recent rain at all...... In all my years here on the river, I have not seen it down so low.

The normal level reading at the Narrawat Bridge reading point [on-line] is 1.35. Recently its been under 1.10 and I saw it as low as 0.96,,,,, and this is supposedly right after the rainy season. There are going to be some serious drought problems in a couple months.

G

Are there any reports on the predicted thunderstorms in or around Chiang Mai already?

In Doi Saket sofar nothing.

Normally I don't follow this thread. It's got to be the longest-running active thread on the Chiang Mai TV forum. But right now, it's on my screen and I'm refreshing it every time I go on-line, just waiting for the first reports of the pitter-patter of drops from out in the 'burbs. Seems we've had nothing since January.

Normally I don't follow this thread. It's got to be the longest-running active thread on the Chiang Mai TV forum. But right now, it's on my screen and I'm refreshing it every time I go on-line, just waiting for the first reports of the pitter-patter of drops from out in the 'burbs. Seems we've had nothing since January.

Here in BWT the sky is sort of blue/ grey,it's the smaze!

Not a cloud in the sky. Neither pit nor patter.

Weather forecast for today was thunder storms...... and we all know they couldn't be wrong. Almost delayed a trip to Mae Sai today, but this morning took a chance..... not a drop either way. But it you think the smoke is bad in CM, you ought to see it between CR and MS !!! After breathing that air it was great to get back to the clean fresh air of CM.....

As we know the weather forecasters wouldn't lie, I then assume it has been raining and heavy thunder storms, just that the smoke is so thick the rain can't get thru.....Its just building up on top of the smoke...... boy when it breaks loose, be like a giant waterfall mashing us all in wet smoke..

Speaking of smoke, all the way up and back you could see various and sundry smoke rising here and there and not a single official to be seen trying to catch or arrest the do-badder. What a bunch of bullshitting politicians ...... all talk no action

• Like 1

BWT? SOunds like a transit line! Where is it?

It's the place where there is neither pit nor patter under smaze ridden skies within a short drive of the BigC Mae Hia crossroads.

Mooban Ban Wang Tan - though why he can't spell it out beats me.

Probably means the wind is picking up. That's a good sign, isn't it? We can actually see Doi Suthep from our window. Haven't been able to do that for a while.

Thought I heard thunder and got all excited. Nope -- just a truck rumbling by.

Edited by NancyL

CM air quality has improved dramatically according to the Airquality Live web site. I'm not sure exactly when it happened or how it happened.

Wind from the south all day and around 18:30 it started to pick up and got a bit gusty for about 10 minutes. Leaves blowing all over the place. No rain though.