Rain

gotlost

The long hot summer continues.Don't know about other posters but I am finding this hot period physically draining.

After 11 am I'm looking for the air con. 38 degrees in the shade at our place in Hang Dong and the weather forecasters are so unreliable

I've stopped looking..........................Anybody have records to compare this period of constant high temps and no rain ?

" the weather forecasters are so unreliable "

You have to give them credit where it's due! I can distinctly remember telling a Thai person in Chiang Mai over 12 months ago that the meteorologists were warning that this year there would be low rainfall.

I can even remember his reply because he said it was a good thing that the King of Thailand had worked so hard to provide so many reservoirs.

The long hot summer continues.Don't know about other posters but I am finding this hot period physically draining.

After 11 am I'm looking for the air con. 38 degrees in the shade at our place in Hang Dong and the weather forecasters are so unreliable

I've stopped looking..........................Anybody have records to compare this period of constant high temps and no rain ?

" the weather forecasters are so unreliable "

You have to give them credit where it's due! I can distinctly remember telling a Thai person in Chiang Mai over 12 months ago that the meteorologists were warning that this year there would be low rainfall.

I can even remember his reply because he said it was a good thing that the King of Thailand had worked so hard to provide so many reservoirs.

I'm not talking long term forecasting.For the last few days thunderstorms have been predicted for the next day ,then next morning that prediction is pushed forward another 24 hours.

Sunny with a chance of rain I guess covers all options but the variance in weather web sites info is truly so unreliable.

For the last few days thunderstorms have been predicted for the next day ,then next morning that prediction is pushed forward another 24 hours.

Such is the way of the weather ... it may not dump on Ban Wangtan but on Sansai instead ... hence the % chance figure which relates to an entire province.

• Like 1

For the last few days thunderstorms have been predicted for the next day ,then next morning that prediction is pushed forward another 24 hours.

Such is the way of the weather ... it may not dump on Ban Wangtan but on Sansai instead ... hence the % chance figure which relates to an entire province.

True but when the satellite images and forecasts on competing web sites don't remotely match up it tends to make you wonder.

Weather forecasting is an exact science in some countries but in Thailand its highly inconsistent.

• Like 1

True but when the satellite images and forecasts on competing web sites don't remotely match up it tends to make you wonder.

Weather forecasting is an exact science in some countries but in Thailand its highly inconsistent.

Very true, especially in island nations such as Aus and NZ. Thailand however is subject to many variables and the northern provinces more affected by China or Andaman Sea systems compared with southern regions. Computer modelling is pretty good but requires regional % analysis, not a blanket rain/dry approach like Australia's eastern seaboard.

Also, we live in a valley and most storms will dump over the hills, not in Ban Wangtan ... unfortunately.

• Like 2

In the last few days I have never seen weather like this. Driving home, near Doi Saket, I have seen rain clouds dumping a lot of rain on a really small area. One day I saw 5 different rain storms going on. The rain is very localised at the moment and I think that the forecasters have done a good job. Just because it is not raining where you are does not mean it is not raining in another part of the city. Had a lot of rain tonight where I live.

• 2 weeks later...

Very difficult to plan golf just now. Accuweather and Wunderground consists of a complete guess by some bloke licking his finger and sticking it in the air.

My point before ,am quite aware of the variables between the mountain ranges ,valleys etc regarding rainfall but the weather sites rarely agree with each other,even their satellite images differ.

Light rain at BWT Hang Dong as at 4.30pm but hardly the soaking the ground needs just a pleasant drop in temp.

Sadly there's very little rain in Mae Rim, Mrs CM tells me that the news channel has declared Mae Rim a drought area and that's not too far from the truth! The rain clouds usually come down over the mountains and then skirt to the West of us, when we leave our home and head into CM we can usually encounter rain around Mae Jo, sadly only a short distance away from us, big sigh.

EDIT to add: and accuweather et al have had us down for 100% probability of thunderstorms and rain for three days, today is day 2 and I just watered the garden this morning!

Edited by chiang mai

Sadly there's very little rain in Mae Rim, Mrs CM tells me that the news channel has declared Mae Rim a drought area and that's not too far from the truth! The rain clouds usually come down over the mountains and then skirt to the West of us, when we leave our home and head into CM we can usually encounter rain around Mae Jo, sadly only a short distance away from us, big sigh.

EDIT to add: and accuweather et al have had us down for 100% probability of thunderstorms and rain for three days, today is day 2 and I just watered the garden this morning!

Accuweather is a commercial 'forecaster' designed to suit widgets and apps on smart phones and similar devices. The % accuracy is only good as far as Chiang Mai province, not suburban/amphur/tambon level. The few degrees of change in temp are computer generated based on historical +/- from actual recording stations at Pa Daet or CNX.

• Like 1

Basil and his good friend Parsley, who broke records of longevity are no more. Rest in peace.

They went from seeds to 4 months old, neither under or over watered (for once) and I was quite confident that they would survive on the balcony, positioned as they were to maximise the rainfall whilst we were in Europe for a month or so but, sadly, I'm going to have to start again. On the up side, I've still got lots of seeds left.

I can't believe that there still isn't any rain so far into the year.

Very strange weather, today we have had 2 big downpours of rain. Its easing off the second downpour in Mae Rim now. Very pleasant temp of 26 outside, but the dogs are finding it a bit cold and a rolled up on their rug.

Will need to start the lawnmower in the next few days no doubt