Beerlao Is Great

SamSipEt

Yes it is a great drink – had a few tonight but at 80 baht a pop it isn’t cheap and that is why I am after a case or two to drink at home.

Thanks to jasreeve17 and gotlost for the numbers and I’ll give them a call tomorrow (or today to be precise) and let you know what I learn.

I never knew what it was about Beer Lao… People talk so much about it in Thailand…

How is it so much better than any other beer here? Is it the underdog thing?

I’ve no idea… then I went to Laos and I love it now. It’s just better beer than any of the local beers and I don’t know why…

But if you really want good crisp beer… draft beer in any bar or restaurant in Japan. Beer Lao somehow manages to nearly re-create that IMO – Maybe that’s why…?

Edited by richard_smith237

there is this guy who opened up a shop selling all sorts of beers, liquors and stuff. He has Beer Lao in stock as well in cases and if not mistaken, extremely cheap. (A LOT cheaper than Rimping) Its called the Easy Shop and located right next to Star Six off Loi Kroh road. Its where all the beer bar center is with the muay thai boxing ring. Off from CHiang Mai Saloon.

Definately the place to go grab your case of Beer Lao, Tiger, Leo, Singha or whatever it is. :)

My understanding on Beer Lao is that they have only one authorized distributor (Nongkai). Their contact info can be found at www.beerlao.la . Most of their products go to Bangkok and Pattaya. Chiang mai receives their by private individuals all legal. Phuket is left out in the cold until they can find a way not to charge a dumb price for Beer Lao (150bt Tiger small). I have seen the popularity of Beer Lao grow in Northern Thailand but it will not be available threw out Thailand until the duty's and tariffs are lifted and my understanding that may be 2010 or 2011. :)

there is this guy who opened up a shop selling all sorts of beers, liquors and stuff. He has Beer Lao in stock as well in cases and if not mistaken, extremely cheap. (A LOT cheaper than Rimping) Its called the Easy Shop and located right next to Star Six off Loi Kroh road. Its where all the beer bar center is with the muay thai boxing ring. Off from CHiang Mai Saloon.

Definately the place to go grab your case of Beer Lao, Tiger, Leo, Singha or whatever it is. :)

Thanks for the info Tigerbeer … I took the lazy option and followed your advice instead of phoning around and I got to the shop just after they opened at 2 and grabbed a case for 930 baht

I have some cooling in the fridge already :D

Thanks for the info Tigerbeer … I took the lazy option and followed your advice instead of phoning around and I got to the shop just after they opened at 2 and grabbed a case for 930 baht

I have some cooling in the fridge already :D

Same here,

Thanks Tigerbeer.

Bloody good value.

Regards

Will

I have never had Beer Lao but it sounds good. Can anyone give slightly more detailed directions for someone who hasn't heard of most places in the above directions? GPS coordinates would be great, but that's wishful thinking. :)

I have never had Beer Lao but it sounds good. Can anyone give slightly more detailed directions for someone who hasn't heard of most places in the above directions? GPS coordinates would be great, but that's wishful thinking. :)

Easy to find – head up Thapae Road and turn left at Thapae Gate (no choice if you’re driving legally), keep in the left hand lane and Loh Kroh Road is about 200 meters on the left (third turning I think) with bars on both sides of the road. Go down Loh Kroh and when you see The Chaing Mai Saloon on the right take the next right. If you get to hotel Le Meriden then you have gone too far. The shop is about 50 meters in on the right hand side. As a regular visitor to the bars in the area I know that parking will be difficult at night so bring a passenger to run in and grab your beer for you while you turn around.

I never knew what it was about Beer Lao… People talk so much about it in Thailand…

How is it so much better than any other beer here? Is it the underdog thing?

I’ve no idea… then I went to Laos and I love it now. It’s just better beer than any of the local beers and I don’t know why…

But if you really want good crisp beer… draft beer in any bar or restaurant in Japan. Beer Lao somehow manages to nearly re-create that IMO – Maybe that’s why…?

I don't thing its the underdog tag its just a great tasting beer and it would be interesting to see their brewery,must be huge with the popularity of the product,Beng under strict contol by their government I would imagine Brewery sight seeing tours would be a no no , maybe in the future.

For me their bread is no 1 too. I have never been able to find the equivalent taste and quality in Thailand or anywhere else for for that matter. Because of the weight factor we bring back as much bread as we can ,pop it in the freezer, and then in the oven as required and is as good as the day it was baked.

Crazy overpriced at Rimping at 90 Baht for dark, if I remember!

I used to buy it last year at a bottle shop on Nimmneheiman for 45 baht. Can't remember the name of the shop, but there are often some sales pretties in the front.

90 Baht for a small bottle of dark at Rimping.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow oh wow, tried Beer Laos Dark last night. Personaly the best (light) Dark beer I've had in a long time - worth planning a trip to Laos just to enjoy.

:):D

Edit - now in stock at the Easy Shop, pricey but worth it.

Edited by Fishenough

A little away form Beer Lao which is great :D but if you thought the original Chang Beer was bad wait tell you try its replacement Chang Classic its worse. Chang has stooped producing its original as of October 1. :)

Shades of what Coca Cola did 20 years ago & introduced New Coke, then had to bring back Coke Classic which was the original. Took a decade to correct the 'stuff-up". Some cute marketing idiot at Chang is going to repeat this mistake. She clearly does not understand how to leave well alone, beer drinkers just hate someone messing with what they are used to. Oh well, never did drink Chang & now have even more reason to stick to my favourites.