Kawasaki Ninja Zx6r Coming To Thailand This Year?!

BigBikeBKK

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to say its the same with my local Kwaker.. Lots of grinning, but low on info / training / skills.. To be fair they upgraded from a scooter shop but the level of Kwaker service you get will be very hit and miss outside of the BKK orbit.

Eg a mate took his KLX140 in for valve clearances and oil change.. Gets home to find its got only about 50% of the needed oil in it.. Good job he checked.

I trust Bill at "Supertrustworthy Bill's used cars" more than the ignorant sales people (and management) at Kawasaki Rama 9.. Imo it is an embarrasment for Kawasaki as a brand letting a shop like that selling their big bikes!

Edited by dunder

I was at Kawasaki Rama 9 today and asked about the ZX6R. He smiled and said maybe next year, when I asked him how many months he said he didn't know. Same story when I asked an approximate price. I didn't bother asking whether/how it was going to be restricted as it was obviously going to be the same answer. Quite disappointing...

Hard to blame the sales staff really- they only know what management tells them, which is obviously very little... I'm guessing we'll learn more about new Kawasaki models coming to Thailand at the Bangkok Motor Show in April. Till then I'm having a great time on my Ninja 650R, just as I did on the little Ninjette 250 and ER6n. Can't wait to see what will come next. ZX6R? KLR650? Z1000? Kawasaki certainly has some awesome bikes to choose from!

RIDE ON!

I was at Kawasaki Rama 9 today and asked about the ZX6R. He smiled and said maybe next year, when I asked him how many months he said he didn't know. Same story when I asked an approximate price. I didn't bother asking whether/how it was going to be restricted as it was obviously going to be the same answer. Quite disappointing...

Hard to blame the sales staff really- they only know what management tells them, which is obviously very little... I'm guessing we'll learn more about new Kawasaki models coming to Thailand at the Bangkok Motor Show in April. Till then I'm having a great time on my Ninja 650R, just as I did on the little Ninjette 250 and ER6n. Can't wait to see what will come next. ZX6R? KLR650? Z1000? Kawasaki certainly has some awesome bikes to choose from!

RIDE ON!

I agree, I'm not blaming the individual - it just seems pretty obvious that the management should train their sales staff about the current and future product line up.

I had a good look at a black 650r while I as there, I was quite impressed, much nicer looking than in the photos and as most of my riding is touring rather than track based I'm starting to think it might be worth the upgrade from the 250. It's a shame they don't do 24 test drives, maybe I'll have to hire one for a day, do a few hundred k's and see if it's worth upgrading.

I agree, I'm not blaming the individual - it just seems pretty obvious that the management should train their sales staff about the current and future product line up.

I had a good look at a black 650r while I as there, I was quite impressed, much nicer looking than in the photos and as most of my riding is touring rather than track based I'm starting to think it might be worth the upgrade from the 250. It's a shame they don't do 24 test drives, maybe I'll have to hire one for a day, do a few hundred k's and see if it's worth upgrading.

The Ninjette 250 is a great little bike, but not exactly designed for touring. (I toured about 12,000km on my Ninjette). The EX650 (both naked and faired) is certainly far more comfortable for long distance rides. Good idea to go rent one before you buy. If you've been happy with your Ninja 250R then I'm certain you will love the EX650.

Ride On!

Tony

• 1 month later...
Any news or rumors about this?

What are you favorite 600cc alternatives?

Legit.. FZ6, Street Triple, ER6F (or N)..

There was talk of the Gladius coming from Suzi but its too hideous to contemplate !!

For imports theres pretty much anything, either by order from Japan or poking around the S/H market. Grey imports have the usual no supply chain issues.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a 650RN a little while ago. Been all over the North, Mae Hong Son, down to Mae Sot, to Nong Khai, back to Chaing Mai, then to Pattaya and back. First ride on the bike was from Phuket to Chiang Mai....2 days....I gotta tell you all.....this is not a touring bike....I love it...but it is an ass busting uncomfortable ride really only good 4 rides under 4 hours. My ass still hurts!!! I've tried a pillow, cycling shorts, one cheek to the other, breaks every 100 kms, nothing takes the pain of that freaking seat away except not getting on it. I like the bike.....but....

I've done plenty of 1000km day trips on my ER6n and Ninja 650R. Agree the stock seat is not the most comfortable- why don't you fix it?

Happy Trails!

Tony

I bought a 650RN a little while ago. Been all over the North, Mae Hong Son, down to Mae Sot, to Nong Khai, back to Chaing Mai, then to Pattaya and back. First ride on the bike was from Phuket to Chiang Mai....2 days....I gotta tell you all.....this is not a touring bike....I love it...but it is an ass busting uncomfortable ride really only good 4 rides under 4 hours. My ass still hurts!!! I've tried a pillow, cycling shorts, one cheek to the other, breaks every 100 kms, nothing takes the pain of that freaking seat away except not getting on it. I like the bike.....but....

• 1 month later...

They had the new ZX6R at the Bangkok Motor Show.

Nice looking bike, quite low and very narrow, looked and felt the same size as my 250R apart from the tank which is quite a bit wider but a nice shape. Spoke to the sales guys, the first one said it was imported from Japan just for the show and not for sale, the second said that it would be available at the end of the year for 600,000 baht.

Read into that what you will!!! I love a well briefed sales force :-)

Lovely bike, but I'll be looking elsewhere now.

the first one said it was imported from Japan just for the show and not for sale, the second said that it would be available at the end of the year for 600,000 baht.

Read into that what you will!!! I love a well briefed sales force :-)

Lovely bike, but I'll be looking elsewhere now.

I was told the same. The bike on the floor was borrowed and that the bike would be imported and sold to thailand by the end of the year at approx 600,000

Exactly.

Anyway, we can hope that the sales staff were wrong. The president of Kawa Thailand said last year that the ZX6R would be sold at a reasonable price. Things can change, but this is certainly not a reasonable price. Well, compared to an R6 or Daytona 675 I guess it is reasonable, but not compared to the other Kawa bikes.

The Kawa dealer here in Chiang Mai said a few weeks ago that they haven't sold a single ZX10R, and it's been on display for at least a year. It will surely be the same for the ZX6R, unless it comes in around the more reasonable 400000 mark.

The Kawa dealer here in Chiang Mai said a few weeks ago that they haven't sold a single ZX10R, and it's been on display for at least a year. It will surely be the same for the ZX6R, unless it comes in around the more reasonable 400000 mark.

I've been telling the Kawa folks at HQ for some time that they are doing the Kawasaki brand a big disservice selling the RESTRICTED ZX10R in Thailand while every other brand that imports bikes into Thailand sells FULL POWER models. They gave me the excuse that it's due to the Thai emissions requirements and even when so far as to imply that all of the other brands are somehow bending the rules. I find that rather hard to believe. If emissions is the reason Kawa can't sell a full power ZX10R in Thailand then Harley Davidson could never do business in this country.

Most big bikes in Thailand are bought by wealthy Thais and paid in cash- why would they 'settle' for a restricted ZX10R when there are so many other choices that are not restricted?

I would LOVE to get a ZX6R, but I won't buy one if it's restricted. De-restricting Hondas is a bitch... Monkeyofdoom said above that the CBR600RR is going to be available in Thailand for 480000 Baht? If it's a full power 600RR then that's an AWESOME price and I'll order one right away! I've always been a big Honda fan and have lamented the fact that to date they've had no big bike dealerships in Thailand.

Haven't been to the motorshow yet, but can Monkeyofdoom or anyone else who's been check on when the CBR600RR will be available for purchase and also if it's a full power bike or restricted?

Thanks in advance!

Tony

The Honda CBR600RR which will be available in Thailand, will be restricted by its exhaust system. Restricting the exhaust is an legal way to pass the emission tests. I was told it was very easy to undo the restriction ... anybody with some welding equipment can do it?? I currently have not enough information to exactly tell how to undo Honda's restriction... By the way, two weeks ago I was told the same price for the Honda CBR600RR by a Honda Thailand person, 480,000 Baht is a a super-B price. From some people who apparently know more then me, I was told that Honda gets some serious discounts in import duty as 30% to 50% of the bikes value is made in Thailand. I know that the CBR600RR's fueling-system including computer and electronics is made in Thailand... if that matches the 30 to 50% value of the bike I have no idea...

Edited by Richard-BKK

I would LOVE to get a ZX6R, but I won't buy one if it's restricted. De-restricting Hondas is a bitch... Monkeyofdoom said above that the CBR600RR is going to be available in Thailand for 480000 Baht? If it's a full power 600RR then that's an AWESOME price and I'll order one right away! I've always been a big Honda fan and have lamented the fact that to date they've had no big bike dealerships in Thailand.

Haven't been to the motorshow yet, but can Monkeyofdoom or anyone else who's been check on when the CBR600RR will be available for purchase and also if it's a full power bike or restricted?

Thanks in advance!

Tony

I would also love to know this! I got the price from the price list at www.motorcycle.in.th but I haven't confirmed with any official Honda dealership. Honda's big bike site is incomplete... unsurprisingly. But yeah, if the ZX6R and CBR600RR are really going to cost those amounts, then it's an easy choice if you are going for a 600cc sportbike...

I would also love to know this! I got the price from the price list at www.motorcycle.in.th but I haven't confirmed with any official Honda dealership. Honda's big bike site is incomplete... unsurprisingly. But yeah, if the ZX6R and CBR600RR are really going to cost those amounts, then it's an easy choice if you are going for a 600cc sportbike...

Ah- too bad, I thought you got that information from Honda at the motorshow. If it's from that crappy motorcycle.in.th site then safe to bet it's completely wrong. Anyway, there's nothing on the AP Honda or the Honda Big Bike sites to indicate that Honda will be opening their big bike showroom any time soon.

Hmmm... ignoring price the ZX6R is the better of the two bikes. We'll have to wait and see what the price actually turns out to be. No doubt the ZX6R will be available in Thailand long before Honda get's they act together. I'm willing to bet Kawa will revise the price of the ZX6R downwards. They have a strange track record of always throwing out high prices at the Bangkok Motor Show and then surprising everyone with lower prices when new models go on sale.

Ride On!

Tony

The Honda CBR600RR which will be available in Thailand, will be restricted by its exhaust system. Restricting the exhaust is an legal way to pass the emission tests. I was told it was very easy to undo the restriction ... anybody with some welding equipment can do it?? I currently have not enough information to exactly tell how to undo Honda's restriction... By the way, two weeks ago I was told the same price for the Honda CBR600RR by a Honda Thailand person, 480,000 Baht is a a super-B price. From some people who apparently know more then me, I was told that Honda gets some serious discounts in import duty as 30% to 50% of the bikes value is made in Thailand. I know that the CBR600RR's fueling-system including computer and electronics is made in Thailand... if that matches the 30 to 50% value of the bike I have no idea...

C'mon Richard,

You claim to be in the motorcycle business- if that's true you'd know that there is a lot more to de-restricting a Honda CBR than just chucking the stock exhaust.

Besides the exhaust restriction the 2009 Japan spec Honda CBR600RR also features a different cam shaft, ECU and CDI and is restricted to 69Hp and 180km/hr. (Sorry, I don't have the figures for the 2010 CBR600RR but I believe they're about the same as the 2009)

All new CBR600s and 1000s feature Honda's Ignition Security System (H.I.S.S.) so if you're thinking you can just swap out the restricted ECU and CDI well, think again as the HISS won't recognize the new parts and the bike won't run.

If you want to de-restrict a Japan spec CBR600RR you'll have to tear out the entire wiring harness and ECU and replace it with US or Euro versions. Most folks don't bother with the cam as it's just too much hassle and only yields a few more Hp.

Do all of the above mods and you'll get close a full power version of the CBR600RR....

Don't have to take my word for it- plenty of CBR sites with a lot of information on this topic.

Ride On!

Tony

C'mon Richard,

You claim to be in the motorcycle business- if that's true you'd know that there is a lot more to de-restricting a Honda CBR than just chucking the stock exhaust.

Besides the exhaust restriction the 2009 Japan spec Honda CBR600RR also features a different cam shaft, ECU and CDI and is restricted to 69Hp and 180km/hr. (Sorry, I don't have the figures for the 2010 CBR600RR but I believe they're about the same as the 2009)

All new CBR600s and 1000s feature Honda's Ignition Security System (H.I.S.S.) so if you're thinking you can just swap out the restricted ECU and CDI well, think again as the HISS won't recognize the new parts and the bike won't run.

If you want to de-restrict a Japan spec CBR600RR you'll have to tear out the entire wiring harness and ECU and replace it with US or Euro versions. Most folks don't bother with the cam as it's just too much hassle and only yields a few more Hp.

Do all of the above mods and you'll get close a full power version of the CBR600RR....

Don't have to take my word for it- plenty of CBR sites with a lot of information on this topic.

Ride On!

Tony

And another nail in the coffin courtesy of 'lil T.

Referencing your previous post; as a track weapon everything I've read does put the Kawi ahead of the CBR, but there's quite a consensus that the CBR does more things well and is much more n00b friendly...plus it has a Wing on the side (you know how important that is to me).

The real question is whether or not the big H will offer it with the combined ABS and all the other black box magic offered overseas and how much that will add to the price. It is quite sad that if they'd offer a 69 HP 600; and for that price I can't imagine many seeing the value of upgrading from an ER-6* to it.