Self employed - questions

I make my living using the internet. All of my income is taxable in my home country, and deposited there.

I'll be in Thailand soon, and I'll work my job while there. This stay will be for only 3 months.

If I were to consider longer more permanant visas, what options would I have as being self employed in another country? Tourist Only?

Hi Ron -

Technically, Thai law says that to work here, you must have a work permit.  To get a work permit, you must enter Thailand on a non-immigrant visa.  There are no other provisions to work here legally.

With that said, given your scenario, you need not be too concerned.  Working on the Internet is virtually indistinguishable from playing on the Internet.  Every major hotel here has a business center where visitors to Thailand go to conduct business in support of their overseas jobs - that's what the FAX machines and Internet stations in those business centers are for.

This leaves your other question - concerning length of stay.  If you plan properly, you can stay here 90 days - get a 60 day tourist visa from Thai diplomatic post in your home country, and then obtain one 30 day extension in-country.  If you want to stay longer than 90 days at a time, are under age 50, are not attending college, are not married to (or supporting) a Thai, your only real option is to get a non-immigrant Class B visa, and then find a job,or create your own company, to provide you with employment.

Going the entrepreneur route, assume (rough figures) US $2,000 to incorporate and get started, and US $2,000 per month to operate - and to be "bulletproof" legal, you must capitalize at about US $51,000 (from which the earlier amounts may be paid).  You have to hire four Thais, maintain a real office, and pay yourself a salary here (figure US $1,500 per month - but this depends on your nationality).

That's the quick and dirty.  I will say that a lot of folks in your situation here simply make monthly border runs - basically doing brief turn-arounds at the border, and then reentering for 30 days at a time (applicable to most western passport-holders).  How long this will continue to be permitted in a world increasingly worried about terrorists crossing borders frely - that's anyone's guess.

Good luck!

Steve

Indo-Siam

Similar post appeared very recently.

I agree with the above advice from Indo Siam.

To make one small point clear, “Paying Taxes legally or Depositing Money from the Business in one country, will not be a justification for any country to consider Internet Based Businesses including offshore Software Development as a mean to Issue a VISA or a Work Permit".

As far as I am aware of no Country consider Net Businesses [individual] to issue Work Permits and Visas.